Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2010, 8:33 AM
Banned

Default Fresno - Madera - Kerman: Where to Shoot

Post up some ranges that you know of near the Fresno region of the Valley. Just copy/paste the following and fill it in for your post:

Range Name:
Address:
Indoor or Outdoor?
rifle, pistol and/or trap?:
OLL Friendly?:

**If you own property outside the city and would like to host a small Calguns shoot'n'que, PM me.

Last edited by greasemonkey; 04-04-2010 at 8:35 AM..
Old 04-05-2010, 4:42 PM
Banned

Sun Mountain Gun Club - Coarsegold
-Shotgun(trap/sporting clay - auto throwers), Rifle(200yd), Handgun
-BBQ/picnic areas
-RV parking
-Clubhouse available to rent

Google Map
Old 04-22-2010, 12:44 PM

Default Fresno Rifle and Pistol Club inc.

15687 Auberry Rd.
93619 Clovis, CA
http://www.shootfrpc.com/

Great if youre in the fresno clovis area or the surrounding foot hills. they have 2 large ranges for non-members, a large private range for members with long range steel targets, a private LEO range, multiple cowboy single action ranges, and a super private 1000 yard sniper range that is only accessable if you are in a distance shooting club.
Employees are polite and knowledgable. Id definitely recomend it.
Old 04-22-2010, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poothrowingape View Post
15687 Auberry Rd.
93619 Clovis, CA

Great if youre in the fresno clovis area or the surrounding foot hills. they have 2 large ranges for non-members, a large private range for members with long range steel targets, a private LEO range, multiple cowboy single action ranges, and a super private 1000 yard sniper range that is only accessable if you are in a distance shooting club.
The "private LEO range" is actually the home of the local USPSA club (Central California Pistol League) and can be used by members of that club during the week for practice and such. They "share" the range with Clovis PD, who use it for their training and quals a couple days a month. They have USPSA matches twice a month second Sunday(open and limited) and 4th Saturday (limited)
FRPC also has a casual shotgun/trap range for the shotgunners out there, too (when it's working).

I typically use FRPC for rifle and pistol shooting and go up to Sun Mountain if shotguns are the order of the day. FRPC is generally friendly to black rifles, the key being like their sign says "no ILLEGAL firearms permitted aboard (?) FRPC" (Darn Navy guy i.e. Gary, must have written that). They are NOT friendly to steel cored or steel jacketed ammo, due to 2 large and expensive ($40K bill from the fire guys to put out) fires that occurred due to steel. DO NOT SHOOT STEEL THERE.. THEY WILL THROW YOU OUT! They magnet-test ammo in the range house, and expect you to bring it in to be checked. It can be crowded on weekends at times. Some of the workers are good, Gary (there during the week) is OK. One of the 2 women working there is generally nice, the other not so much. They are there mostly on the weekends.

There is also Fresno Trap and Skeet WAAAAY out at the end of Shaw Avenue, but they had fairly limited hours the last time I was out there, and it's shotgun sport only. Last I was there, they were only open Sat and Sunday mornings. The place has definitely gone downhill, they've killed off all the grass and such that made it pleasant there, and have fewer operating trap and skeet houses. I'd be surprised if FT&S was around for more than a couple years from now.

Another option is the Fresno Peace Officers range out by 99 and the river. It was available to non-LEOs if you paid a membership in the FPOA (a few years ago.. YMMV now) Almost exclusively handguns and VERY busy between the cops and the academy training there. They allow holster use, but I've not seen any move-and-shoot done there other than downed-officer drills.

Last edited by chuckdc; 04-22-2010 at 3:50 PM..
Old 04-22-2010, 3:54 PM

The Range Indoor shooting club

on Gates off of Shaw Avenue, next to the CHP office.

Handgun only in general for shooting. Very "Tacti-Cool" place, mostly geared toward LEOs and CCW folks, etc. Lots of 5.11 gear, Oakleys, Sure-fire, Benchmade knives, and so on. Place is owned by a local attorney. They sell and rent guns(handguns, rifles.. mostly black, and shotguns) there. Prices are not the best for purchasing. Don't know if they still do it, but they had "10 dollar Tuesdays" which was a good deal..10 dollar range fee and 10 to rent a handgun, but you have to buy their ammo.

They are the host to the local IDPA club.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdc View Post
The Range Indoor shooting club

on Gates off of Shaw Avenue, next to the CHP office.

Handgun only in general for shooting. Very "Tacti-Cool" place, mostly geared toward LEOs and CCW folks, etc. Lots of 5.11 gear, Oakleys, Sure-fire, Benchmade knives, and so on. Place is owned by a local attorney. They sell and rent guns(handguns, rifles.. mostly black, and shotguns) there. Prices are not the best for purchasing. Don't know if they still do it, but they had "10 dollar Tuesdays" which was a good deal..10 dollar range fee and 10 to rent a handgun, but you have to buy their ammo.

They are the host to the local IDPA club.
you wouldn't happen to work at mayfields would you?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poothrowingape View Post
15687 Auberry Rd.
93619 Clovis, CA

wow i was a member there and i never knew they had a 1000yard range
Old 05-02-2010, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by du9207 View Post
wow i was a member there and i never knew they had a 1000yard range
Do you give a good blowie? Otherwise you're SOL.

You used to be able to go back there if you were cool with the employees, now that thing is on serious lock down. Every now and then they let us "civies" go back there and shoot when the "buffalo shoot" is going on. Lots of fun. The swat guys are a hoot to hang with too.

Heading up there this Friday, the 7th, roughly noon if anyone wants to go.

Last edited by Shrubmaster; 05-02-2010 at 1:57 AM..
Old 05-05-2010, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by du9207 View Post
you wouldn't happen to work at mayfields would you?
Nope.
Old 05-05-2010, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubmaster View Post
Do you give a good blowie? Otherwise you're SOL.

You used to be able to go back there if you were cool with the employees, now that thing is on serious lock down. Every now and then they let us "civies" go back there and shoot when the "buffalo shoot" is going on. Lots of fun. The swat guys are a hoot to hang with too.

Heading up there this Friday, the 7th, roughly noon if anyone wants to go.
To use the over the hill side, you pretty much need to be part of the high-power club. It's more or less "their" range, much like the action pistol range is open only to CCPL members. They let the cops use those ranges for training, but they are mostly run and maintained by the specialty clubs. Part of why the over the hill range is kept "locked down" is the cows that wander around back there. They like to hide behind the number boards where they cant be seen, but CAN be hit by stray bullets. Been there when that happened, much to the detriment of the cow.
Old 07-24-2010, 1:42 PM

I would like to get a membership to a local range but I don't know which one. I want to stay close to Fresno and want an outdoor range so I guess it's really between the peace officers range and fprc. POR is cheaper and allow holster use but their longest range is only 50 yards. FPRC is more expensive, no holster use, usually packed (with idiots), the employees are very rude BUT 100 yard range is a huge plus. IDK what to do. POR is also open 24 hours a day which would help me with my work schedule. That's the way I am leaning but the lack of a 100 yard range is the only thing holding me back.
Old 07-24-2010, 4:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballergb View Post
I would like to get a membership to a local range but I don't know which one. I want to stay close to Fresno and want an outdoor range so I guess it's really between the peace officers range and fprc. POR is cheaper and allow holster use but their longest range is only 50 yards. FPRC is more expensive, no holster use, usually packed (with idiots), the employees are very rude BUT 100 yard range is a huge plus. IDK what to do. POR is also open 24 hours a day which would help me with my work schedule. That's the way I am leaning but the lack of a 100 yard range is the only thing holding me back.
Is Coarsegold farther than you want to drive? The Sun Mountain Gun Club is up there right behind Chuckchansi.
Old 07-24-2010, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
Is Coarsegold farther than you want to drive? The Sun Mountain Gun Club is up there right behind Chuckchansi.
I am thinking it might be. What are the rules? Is there holster use allowed? Is there an area where someone can shoot on the move? How packed does it typically get? Oh and how much?......whew I am out of breath now.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:13 PM

Come out to Winton..
Old 07-26-2010, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliopolissolutions View Post
Come out to Winton..
What/where is that?
Old 07-28-2010, 8:28 PM
Calguns Addict

How much is it for POR? I been wanting to go there. I went there for SD training and it was hella fun! Did a lot of shoot-n-move with barriers and walls..I like how its pretty private to a group of shooters. I had a entire lane to myself but I didnt know if its open for public.

If anyone knows its open to the public, let me know I didnt want to drive that far to be turned down for not being able to use their range.
Old 07-29-2010, 1:07 AM
Veteran Member

Range Name: Lemoore Sportsmans Club
Address: 23310 Elgin Avenue
Lemoore, CA 93245-9686
Indoor or Outdoor? Outdoor
rifle, pistol and/or trap?:Yes
OLL Friendly?: Yes

Its a bit of a drive but its worth it to me. I shoot mostly Russian surplus and hand loads. The Range wont let me shoot my hand loads and FRPC wont let me shoot bi metal bullets. Anything that is legal is good to go at LSC. No Range Officers crapping things up. Staff is SUPER cool! 3 pistol ranges and 1 100 meter rifle range. Full trap/skeet setup. Even an archery range.

FRPC can eat a big, floppy fat one. Last time I went there the fat bastard behind the desk wouldn't even address my wife when she asked a question-instead when he did answer he did so very tersely to me. He was also very rude to my father and I.
The range is convenient, but they seem to be a little too full of themselves. I really like some of the staff there but unless they know you they can be tool-ish. And their prices? Utterly ridiculous. I will not buy a gun there.
For me the drive to LSC is worth it. I make a day out of it and have a great time shooting all my cheap Soviet surplus steel ammo and handloads.
Old 03-06-2011, 9:02 PM

Can someone recommend an OLL friendly range with steel plinking targets in the Fresno/Central Valley or in the alternative a legal place to set up my own and shoot??? Thanks in advance
Old 04-19-2011, 6:13 PM

Hi everyone also if you know of some place close to merced. We have Gun Runners here but I would prefer to find a place to shoot outside and would not mid at all doing clean up duty etc.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:32 AM

ti imperials, and everyone else, if you head west towards coalinga ca, take road 198 towards king city or 101 and 5 miles from coalinga going west you should be around a lot of BLM land. Feel free to plink all you want all day and all night long. BUt contact BLM for more info and maps for more precise locations to prevent going onto private land. I go every so often and have fun trekking those mountains and hills myself to find amazing locations to set up my own targets.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post
ti imperials, and everyone else, if you head west towards coalinga ca, take road 198 towards king city or 101 and 5 miles from coalinga going west you should be around a lot of BLM land. Feel free to plink all you want all day and all night long. BUt contact BLM for more info and maps for more precise locations to prevent going onto private land. I go every so often and have fun trekking those mountains and hills myself to find amazing locations to set up my own targets.

Thanks for the info!!!
Old 06-09-2011, 10:23 AM

In regards to FRPC, I have had nothing but a good experience there. From day one, they were helpful and answered all my questions. Apparently they are under new management and it works well. Just my two cents.
Old 06-10-2011, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csburtch View Post
In regards to FRPC, I have had nothing but a good experience there. From day one, they were helpful and answered all my questions. Apparently they are under new management and it works well. Just my two cents.
Does the older Asian guy, older fat white guy and younger fat girl still work there? If so, the management doesn't matter. The Asian guy isn't nearly as bad as the other two but he is definitely not friendly.
Old 03-12-2015, 4:50 PM

Are these still the only place to shoot near Fresno?
Old 03-22-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgomez324 View Post
Are these still the only place to shoot near Fresno?
The Firing Line in Clovis is open and a great place to shoot.