Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteQwill View Post
Are you kidding me? There are people who carry rifles every day and shouldn't be doing so.
Are you kidding me? I know SOME soldiers can be rather dorkish and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but when they shoot straight, and accurate, what more do you want? I'm sorry, but so far, I haven't seen a single qualification for anybody in this thread that makes them more qualified then a US Army infantryman to tell me what punishment he feels comfortable giving a certain rifle. If he had then gone on to shoot like a carpal tunnel syndrome victim, I'd pay him less mind.
Old 04-28-2010, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn3hz3ku1* View Post
sooo what's up with the full auto then?
He said it rather off the cuff. You can put as much as you want to into the statement, but then focusing on that is a lot easier then the FAIL of the brand trolls to back themselves up worth a darn, which of course, the thread is about...
Old 04-28-2010, 3:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Are you kidding me? I know SOME soldiers can be rather dorkish and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but when they shoot straight, and accurate, what more do you want? I'm sorry, but so far, I haven't seen a single qualification for anybody in this thread that makes them more qualified then a US Army infantryman to tell me what punishment he feels comfortable giving a certain rifle. If he had then gone on to shoot like a carpal tunnel syndrome victim, I'd pay him less mind.

Please explain the paces you've put this UTG rail through.

We know you've only had it on your rifle for about 2 weeks, from your previous posts.

edit: maybe an AAR?
Old 04-28-2010, 3:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I've lived in the sh*ts with 11B/C's alongside with me. I certainly know what punishment our rifles take and can attest that UTG will not survive the environment we live in.

Ever use a rifle to pry a door open? Smash windows? As crowbar when everything else inside your vehicle is blown up? After a firing a full battle load (and more) making it so damn hot you're tempted to piss on your own barrel?

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 04-28-2010, 3:28 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Mosh, isn't the rail pictured on your rifle a non-free float version in that it sits on or locks into the end cap? (I could be wrong because I have an admitted very little experience with installing UTG handguards, although the one experience I had was very frustrating since it didn't mount properly at all) If so then YES a user-install with no special tools needed is indeed a feature for a true free-float rail like the DD Omega 7.0. Anytime a user can install a true free-float rail without having to punch out taper pins and replace barrel nuts is a nice feature.

www.riflegear.com
Old 04-28-2010, 3:29 PM

Quote:
I've lived in the sh*ts with 11B/C's alongside with me. I certainly know what punishment our rifles take and can attest that UTG will not survive the environment we live in.

Ever use a rifle to pry a door open? Smash windows? As crowbar when everything else inside your vehicle is blown up? After a firing a full battle load (and more) making it so damn hot you're tempted to piss on your own barrel?
Prying a vehicle door open, no, I expect the stock will break long before I'll have to worry about the handguards there. Seems like plastic will be more of a concern, wouldn't you say?

Smash windows? You are joking, right? I think I got that covered. As a crowbar? See the plastic stock statement. I'll have other parts of the rifle in trouble long before the handguard is. Things on the ends or sticking out. Or did that little bit of logic escape you while trying to shoot down UTG? Have you seen a UTG broken in combat is what you're saying? If so, I'm all ears.

The making it so hot you want to piss on it, yeah, done that. Several times already. She handles it just fine, no noticeable issues so far. Next?
Old 04-28-2010, 3:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark92651 View Post
Mosh, isn't the rail pictured on your rifle a non-free float version in that it sits on or locks into the end cap? (I could be wrong because I have an admitted very little experience with installing UTG handguards, although the one experience I had was very frustrating since it didn't mount properly at all) If so then YES a user-install with no special tools needed is indeed a feature for a true free-float rail like the DD Omega 7.0. Anytime a user can install a true free-float rail without having to punch out taper pins and replace barrel nuts is a nice feature.
I guarantee that you are wrong and he's going to make you prove it before he believes anything you say.
He will have the luxury of posting from a manufacturer's website, but you won't be allowed such luxury.
You will be required to bring your own expert military witness to the table.
Blood and urine samples will be required of all witnesses.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 04-28-2010, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Did not know that! Good to know. Thank you for not being like some of the others around here and just making your point with facts. That's rather refreshing.
Old 04-28-2010, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
I guarantee that you are wrong and he's going to make you prove it before he believes anything you say.
He will have the luxury of posting from a manufacturer's website, but you won't be allowed such luxury.
You will be required to bring your own expert military witness to the table.
Blood and urine samples will be required of all witnesses.
Shows how much you know, I posted in the same minute you did. Read and weep. You know nothing about me. I know you are a brand snob. Keep on trying!

Last edited by moshpit; 04-28-2010 at 3:36 PM..
Old 04-28-2010, 3:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Did not know that! Good to know.
There's a lot you don't know.
We won't hold it against you though.

Quote:
Shows how much you know, I posted in the same minute you did. Read and weep. You know nothing about me. I know you are a brand snob. I have one up on ya.
I know a lot about AR-15's.
I don't need to say how much because my reputation precedes me.

Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Old 04-28-2010, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Prying a vehicle door open, no, I expect the stock will break long before I'll have to worry about the handguards there. Seems like plastic will be more of a concern, wouldn't you say?

Smash windows? You are joking, right? I think I got that covered. As a crowbar? See the plastic stock statement. I'll have other parts of the rifle in trouble long before the handguard is. Things on the ends or sticking out. Or did that little bit of logic escape you while trying to shoot down UTG? Have you seen a UTG broken in combat is what you're saying? If so, I'm all ears.

The making it so hot you want to piss on it, yeah, done that. Several times already. She handles it just fine, no noticeable issues so far. Next?
oh. man. ladies and gentlemen, it just got very armchair commando in here.
Old 04-28-2010, 3:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i1800collect View Post
oh. man. ladies and gentlemen, it just got very armchair commando in here.
Get your boots.
It's gonna get even deeper before it's over...

Old 04-28-2010, 3:40 PM

Quote:
There's a lot you don't know.
We won't hold it against you though.

I know a lot about AR-15's.
I don't need to say how much because my reputation precedes me.
Honestly, I'm pretty sure you know what I'm thinking about what you can do with your reputation. The only rep you have with me is that you're a brand snob, and I've seen a thousand of you in the computer industry for 2 decades now. Big whoop.
Old 04-28-2010, 3:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Prying a vehicle door open, no, I expect the stock will break long before I'll have to worry about the handguards there.
Nope, the Troy ff rails didn't break. My buddy didn't use the barrel, he used the rail system.

Quote:
Have you seen a UTG broken in combat is what you're saying?
Nope, because trash like that would never make its way to a Soldier whose life depends on a rifle.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 04-28-2010, 3:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Honestly, I'm pretty sure you know what I'm thinking about what you can do with your reputation.
Why don't you tell me anyways.
It will help the length of our bans.

Old 04-28-2010, 3:45 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Mosh, please consider this a bit of constructive criticism - no need to take this personally as I am not merely trying to poke fun at you but to help educate you.

I think your credibility on arguing about the merits of cheap vs expensive rail systems is called into question based on your approach to getting your front and rear sights to line up. Yeah, I suppose it works for you, but seriously, come on - who is going to take your experience with rail systems and AR15's seriously after that? You should have sold the gas-block height front sight and just replaced it with the proper rail-height front sight and then you wouldn't have had to buy the riser and mess with your sight height at all. If you have flip up sights then what is the point of putting your EOTech on a riser? Also, what is the point of an upper height railed gas block to fit in the gap in your handguard that is there for a standard front sight? Why not just get a solid long rail to go over a low-profile gas block? It appears your approach is to spend as absolutely little as possible on your AR and you are OK with using combinations of parts that aren't really designed to go together. Fine, but you don't need to call the rest of us snobs and tell us we are all throwing our money away because some of us like to pay more to do things right the first time.

And yes Randall (AR15Barrels) does know what he is talking about. He freakin builds these things on a lathe for crying out loud and you have had this AR, which you admit is the first rifle you have ever owned, for what - a month? Again, not trying to insult you but a man needs to know when to open his mouth and when it is best to shut it and open his ears and eyes instead.

www.riflegear.com
Old 04-28-2010, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Nope, the Troy ff rails didn't break. My buddy didn't use the barrel, he used the rail system.

Nope, because trash like that would never make its way to a Soldier whose life depends on a rifle.
And there you go again. "Trash" is what you are typing, you have nothing to back that statement up with except a few trolls with as much time as you seem to have to devote to being one. That self superiority complex of yours is a little on the thin side, get over it. IN the meantime, while you brand whiners keep this drivel up, this thread continues downhill.
Old 04-28-2010, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Mosh, please consider this a bit of constructive criticism - no need to take this personally as I am not merely trying to poke fun at you but to help educate you.

I think your credibility on arguing about the merits of cheap vs expensive rail systems is called into question based on your approach to getting your front and rear sights to line up. Yeah, I suppose it works for you, but seriously, come on - who is going to take your experience with rail systems and AR15's seriously after that? You should have sold the gas-block height front sight and just replaced it with the proper rail-height front sight and then you wouldn't have had to buy the riser and mess with your sight height at all. If you have flip up sights then what is the point of putting your EOTech on a riser? Also, what is the point of an upper height railed gas block to fit in the gap in your handguard that is there for a standard front sight? Why not just get a solid long rail to go over a low-profile gas block? It appears your approach is to spend as absolutely little as possible on your AR and you are OK with using combinations of parts that aren't really designed to go together. Fine, but you don't need to call the rest of us snobs and tell us we are all throwing our money away because some of us like to pay more to do things right the first time.

And yes Randall (AR15Barrels) does know what he is talking about. He freakin builds these things on a lathe for crying out loud and you have had this AR, which you admit is the first rifle you have ever owned, for what - a month? Again, not trying to insult you but a man needs to know when to open his mouth and when it is best to shut it and open his ears and eyes instead.
OH, so what I take from that is, this Randall has a VESTED interest in selling expensive handgrips because that raises his bottom line. Thank you for educating me on that detail, I didn't realize I was threatening his pocketbook. No wonder the trolls have come out so thickly, money always makes people get loud and nasty.
Old 04-28-2010, 3:52 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
OH, so what I take from that is, this Randall has a VESTED interest in selling expensive handgrips because that raises his bottom line. Thank you for educating me on that detail, I didn't realize I was threatening his pocketbook. No wonder the trolls have come out so thickly, money always makes people get loud and nasty.
Nope, I sell rails - Randall builds barrels and uppers using whatever components his customers request.

It appears the bulk of my last post fell on deaf ears. Oh well I tried. Enjoy the mud slinging - I'm out

www.riflegear.com
Old 04-28-2010, 3:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
you have had this AR, which you admit is the first rifle you have ever owned, for what - a month? Again, not trying to insult you but a man needs to know when to open his mouth and when it is best to shut it and open his ears and eyes instead.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...62&postcount=1

Old 04-28-2010, 3:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I don't sell parts anymore.
I only do installations and custom work now.

Old 04-28-2010, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Nope, I sell rails - Randall builds barrels and uppers using whatever components his customers request.

It appears the bulk of my last post fell on deaf ears. Oh well I tried. Enjoy the mud slinging - I'm out
Then you missed the part where I said the sights were given to me for free and the riser was a cheap and effective answer to a mismatched gift, and so seek to discredit me over that? Lame. You do business with this attitude? I know you keep claiming to not want to insult, but then you say things like that which are intentionally forgetting details I posted so you can discredit my points?

Let me repeat this for you, since "credit" over my picture is at stake (geeze, I didn't think this was kindergarten, but here goes) Mismatched iron sights given as a gift, 20 dollar fix put the problem right. How does that discredit me? I didn't want to blow 50 bucks on another front sight and have one then laying around unused? I think you're really stretching with that one.

Edit: And SOLD the front sight? I guess YOU may have tons of friends who need to buy such a part, I don't. Most of my friends are pretty well set for front sights, sorry your plan wouldn't have any bearing on reality for my needs :/

Funniest part of this? Reading you both say "It works, but it's wrong". My riser solution works, and doesn't break off or cause any problems (yet, I'll give that one, 6 months from now I may be cursing the riser and spring for a new front sight, or I might not). So, it's working, and working very accurately, you cannot deny that, you just don't like my solution. Too bloody bad. Neither of you have any say over my "credit".

In fact, I'm questioning the professionalism of anybody in this as a business who argues about it on forums. And statements like "FAIL" (talk to your partner about that one a few pages back), yeah, that's GOT to be in the big book of how to act professionally when interacting on forums of the same subject as their business. I know I'm just falling all over myself to buy something from you guys now!

Last edited by moshpit; 04-28-2010 at 4:14 PM..
Old 04-28-2010, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Let me repeat this for you, since "credit" over my picture is at stake (geeze, I didn't think this was kindergarten, but here goes) Mismatched iron sights given as a gift, 20 dollar fix put the problem right. How does that discredit me? I didn't want to blow 50 bucks on another front sight and have one then laying around unused? I think you're really stretching with that one.
That's all well and good. What I'm still a little confused about is 5 days ago you had this:

You stated in your OP you had matching YHM front and rear backup irons. Why the riser and mismatched sights now?
Old 04-28-2010, 4:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That's all well and good. What I'm still a little confused about is 5 days ago you had this:

http://i41.tinypic.com/73jv4h.jpg

You stated in your OP you had matching YHM front and rear backup irons. Why the riser and mismatched sights now?
Perhaps at that time, he did not know they were mismatched because he had not shot with the irons yet.
I can look at them and tell you they are mismatched just because I know how tall a gas block and a rail mount YHM front sight are.

Old 04-28-2010, 4:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by till44 View Post
But if you do use a UTG rail, PLEASE get rid of those rail panels. I'm all for function over form, but those things look like shoe insoles on the rails.
I have UTG rails on my Siaga 7.62x39 and those rail panels you speak of arent a option, unless you want to burn your hands. UTG rails tends to retain heat or in other words dont dissipate heat as effectively which is why you need to use blue loctite on each bolt otherwise they do come lose quickly and can cause your mounted optics to tilt. I have had them for a little over a year worth of shooting and started to notice the rails are getting a little brittle and easily to chip. The second issue I have is the weight, shooting off a bench with sandbags is fine, but trying to hold it steady freehand after 100 shots is a whole different story. My next rail is probably going to be a Samson K Rail.
Old 04-28-2010, 4:19 PM
Veteran Member

okay guys this is getting off topic.. the UTG rails should be good enough for 99 percent of us who never ever take it into battle, that 1 percent might go to a few tactical classes.

Yes the other brands are probably better than UTG but they come with the cost. A cost that's not really worth it for all the guys who only take it to the range but for some who like to pretend they will take their rifle into battle it is well worth it.

I'm cheap on some of my parts because i realize I WONT BE TAKING IT INTO BATTLE. so please cut out all the i been into battle. YES I BELIEVE you and thank you for your service BUT you didn't go into it with your own personal rifle and unless you got triple tabs on your shoulders then you prob never ever worked for an unit that let's you pick what you want.

UTG > name brand for range heads who just sit on a bench all day
Name Brand > UTG for guys who pull trigger for uncle sam

end of story.
Old 04-28-2010, 4:20 PM

Quote:
I thought and had been told they were matching at first, so only reported what I knew at that moment. But when the first attempt to zero was a complete failure, and the Eotech zero'd fine, while the irons would not (and looked way out of whack when co-witness was attempted), the gifter did come clean and say he thought they may not be matched after all. There's a high chance he mixed sets up on his rifles.
Old 04-28-2010, 4:23 PM

Quote:
I'm cheap on some of my parts because i realize I WONT BE TAKING IT INTO BATTLE. so please cut out all the i been into battle. YES I BELIEVE you and thank you for your service BUT you didn't go into it with your own personal rifle and unless you got triple tabs on your shoulders then you prob never ever worked for an unit that let's you pick what you want.

UTG > name brand for range heads who just sit on a bench all day
Name Brand > UTG for guys who pull trigger for uncle sam

end of story.
That will work for me, very reasonable. I'm not intending to go to war anytime soon, so I think the UTG rails will make a nice lasting set. But if I was going to war, I doubt I'd be hauling a S&W either. This isn't a war rifle, those who want to pretend that's where their rifle is going to end up, buy the expensive ones, it makes pretending so much more fun
Old 04-28-2010, 4:34 PM

moshpit accuses knowledgeable calguners of being unknowledgeable.

moshpit accuses knowledgeable calgunners of being "brand snobs" while he is a huge UTG fanboy and is willing to fight to the death to defend UTG's honor.

moshpit picks fight with most senior calgunners and basically accuses them of bashing UTG in order to make profit.

moshpit is a noob and has AR15 set-up that makes other calgunners (the knowledgeable ones) chuckle.

moshpit doubles his post-count by trolling this thread hard, and accusing other calgunners of being trolls.
Old 04-28-2010, 4:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinger View Post

moshpit accuses knowledgeable calgunners of being "brand snobs" while he is a huge UTG fanboy and is willing to fight to the death to defend UTG's honor.

moshpit picks fight with most senior calgunners and basically accuses them of bashing UTG in order to make profit.

moshpit is a noob and has AR15 set-up that makes other calgunners (the knowledgeable ones) chuckle.

moshpit doubles his post-count by trolling this thread hard, and accusing other calgunners of being trolls.
thefinger points the FINGER haha jkkkkk comon man you're not helping the situation haha
Old 04-28-2010, 4:43 PM
Veteran Member

Talk about exponential growth in this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I have yet to meet a bad calgunner. Gun people for the most part are the better side of society. That is my opinion.
Old 04-28-2010, 4:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Shall I cook up another batch of
Old 04-28-2010, 4:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
thefinger points the FINGER haha jkkkkk comon man you're not helping the situation haha
What are you talking about? This is a pretty good summary of the thread.

Quote:

Old 04-28-2010, 4:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobert View Post
Talk about exponential growth in this thread!
Over a $50 rail
Old 04-28-2010, 4:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacGlass View Post
Over a $50 rail
for some: 40 dollars man! haha i paid more than 50 for mine.. I don't even think the OP has checked in yet
Old 04-28-2010, 4:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

This thread is full of win.

Old 04-28-2010, 4:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
And there you go again. "Trash" is what you are typing, you have nothing to back that statement up with except a few trolls with as much time as you seem to have to devote to being one. That self superiority complex of yours is a little on the thin side, get over it. IN the meantime, while you brand whiners keep this drivel up, this thread continues downhill.
Interesting outlook on someone who continues to dig themselves into a hole they can't get out of.

Are you still down there?

All I hear is an echo.

Old 04-28-2010, 4:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
This thread is full of win.
Hai Randall, Can you fix my barrel?
Old 04-28-2010, 5:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4D View Post
Hai Randall, Can you fix my barrel?

Pm me details.

Old 04-28-2010, 5:10 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

this thread is going nowhere. tons of opinions on this board and other forums already regarding UTG, enough for the OP to make a decision.

as far as i'm concerned, all the side discussion should have ended with this:

Quote:

Closed Thread