Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 04-06-2010, 12:34 AM

Once I get some time off and get my AR-15 ill be up there to clean and plink, seems like everyone is putting it off because one reason or another, just go up when you can and clean up as much as you can while you are there. No need to put it off just because there is not a bunch of people there at the same time. Although that would be nice.

If you need website hosting, contact me and we might be able to work something out for a good deal.

Photos from my last trip to Front Sight Click here.
A few training certificates available if your interested.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Well if we have people there over three straight Sundays it oughta be hella clean. And I'll bring a camera as well to document the effort.

When ever we all can is probably at least as good as a whole bunch of us on a one timer. Getting a spot clean is one thing, keeping it clean seems to be another as our compadres down at Bee Canyon would attest.

The world is full of irresponsible buffoons... I'm glad to be associated with those who are not.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 04-07-2010, 1:07 AM

Does anyone have proof that it is BLM yet?

If you need website hosting, contact me and we might be able to work something out for a good deal.

Photos from my last trip to Front Sight Click here.
A few training certificates available if your interested.
Old 04-07-2010, 8:26 PM

When you go out there, and see how much spent brass and shells are on the ground, you can tell that CLEARLY no one gives a feck about that place....so...in that assumption no one takes care of it so..it must be BLM.

FS: German Desert / Tropical Camo uniform items HERE
Old 04-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Calguns Addict

It's raining lightly now in southern Sonoma County, so it's probably already raining up north in Healdsburg. Tomorrow it's supposed to pour so I guess we'll see.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 04-13-2010, 10:39 AM

So...it looks like Sunday should be clear and dry. We on for the 18th?

Old 04-13-2010, 8:01 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm still in... bringing trash bags, rake, shovel... and something to shoot a little.

Still thinking 9 AM?

Quote:
Old 04-14-2010, 7:50 AM

Cool Cool. Ill see what I can borrow from the landlord tool-wise. I too will bring something to pop around with

9 AM too early? 10...11? Lemme know. Where are you coming out from?

Old 04-14-2010, 2:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Petaluma... but I get up early so no big whoop.

Quote:
Old 04-14-2010, 6:31 PM

Is this place accessible to a sports car, or lowered truck? It's unclear from Google Maps. I'd like to check it out/help out, but don't know if I can get up there.
Old 04-14-2010, 8:30 PM

BigDawg: Doode...Im in PGrove. You wanna just carpool up there?

JB: the main road is paved, but you must turn off onto a dirt road and clearance is required, if I remember correctly. I don't recall much parking along the main road. If BigDawg and I dont roll up, you can roll with me if you like.

Old 04-14-2010, 9:57 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm happy to carpool another person. My little truck seats two comfortably. I could take a couple more but I wouldn't make a grown adult ride the jump seats in the extended cab.

Quote:
Old 04-15-2010, 5:13 PM

BigDawg: I have a Rodeo SUV if that's easier. As long as we don't get any nails and **** in my tires I'm good (running on my spare.....DON'T ask why). Lemme know what time you wanna meet up. PM

Anyone else thinking of helping with clean up

Old 04-16-2010, 8:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I my show but it depends on how Sat turns out. I will bring some older toys if I can make it but will have to change cars. My mini van is not a off road vehicle.

jerry
Old 04-17-2010, 9:27 AM

Okay, so I took a ride up there this morning in the BMW. Pine Flat Rd is actually a fun little one-lane twisty road! I'm gonna have to take my Bandit up there, just for a nice ride.
Anyway, the 'range' is around 10+- miles from where Pine Flat branches off of 128 (for those who might be first-timers). You go past a pumping station or something related to The Geysers, and it's a couple more miles up. Surprisingly to me, there's a house/ranch only about a half-mile from the 'range'. There is a turn-out/parking area very close; I had to walk maybe 100 yards. There's a fair amount of junk up there, but for this type of spot (secret public hangout), I've seen worse. LOTS of brass and shotgun shells.
Having stupidly forgotten ear protection, I fired all of 5 shots from my .38, and with ringing ears, left it at that.
I'm going to see about heading up there again tomorrow, with protection, and Hefty bags. With my little car, I won't be able to take anything away, but I can at least bag some crap up.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Sounds like some wheelbarrels/carts might be a good idea? I'm going to try to make it depending on how my son is doing.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Calguns Addict

GillaFunk... I have a small pickup that might be a better choice for hauling crap than your SUV. I'll send you a PM.

I'll bring a camera as well.

Quote:
Old 04-17-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbt56 View Post
Okay, so I took a ride up there this morning in the BMW. Pine Flat Rd is actually a fun little one-lane twisty road! .
Yeah, the ride up is a hoot. I still need to take my motorbike up there and pop a few. The road is fairly twisty for a car, and a little bumpy here and there so watch it. The road up is paved the whole way, but the area where we are cleaning would require some clearance...so heads up!

Dont really need wheelbarrows I dont think, but jbt56 might be the man to answer that question.

I say just bring:
LOTS Heavy duty trash-bags
Maybe a cardboard box or two
Gloves
Metal 'bamboo' rake
Shovel
and a way to carry all that **** home.

I'm sure were going to pop a few while were there, so I suggest ya'll bring some ear-plugs and something to snack on / drink (nothing alcoholic please)

Myself and BigDawg are going to work out a time when were going to head up, and I'll post that up this evening. Im guessing we'll leave Petaluma between 8:30 and 10 (roughly)

Looking forward to meeting ya'll since this looks to be a good group of shooters.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Calguns Addict

How many people can fit if they want to shoot?
Old 04-17-2010, 11:43 AM

Not too many. Here is the overhead view of this place. Its pretty tight. The less cars the better. if you guys can park somewhere besides right in this turn-off that might make shooting/clean-up easier. I think maybe 6-8 MAX.

What do you say JBT? I've not been up there in a few months, and I was on crutches, so I can't remember much

Here it is. Not much to see

Old 04-17-2010, 1:48 PM

I'd guess an easy 5-6 vehicles could park in the turn-out area, and 4X4's could approach the 'range' closer- handy for piling trashbags into a truck bed...? I didn't look around that thoroughly, but from a fairly new shooter's POV, there seem to be several directions one could shoot, so a fair number of people, with some organization, could shoot there, without endangering each other. Parts of the immediate area almost look like a moto-x track, too- overall, it's fairly large.
That overhead shot also doesn't show the very hilly terrain well, not that it's any problem.
I'd agree with the no-wheelbarrows. Those probably wouldn't be very useful, as a 'real' 4x4 can get right in there, unless there's much more than what I saw. I'd go with gilla's equipment rec's.
If I can make it (might be honey-do's tomorrow ), I'm also bringing my pistols and freakin' ear protection!

*Add-- Just for reference, going from Santa Rosa, up 101 to Dry Creek, then to 128, it took roughly an hour to get there this morning. The 10 miles up Pine Flat will take a while in a truck. Figure on about 25-35 MPH that whole way.

Last edited by jbt56; 04-17-2010 at 1:51 PM..
Old 04-17-2010, 2:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the tips. Good to know 4wd can get in for trash pickup. Hope I can make it. Surprised it took that long to get there but it is nice to have options.
Old 04-17-2010, 2:50 PM

Oh yeah, and if your gonna , bring something to mount your target to (frame)

Old 04-17-2010, 10:12 PM

Myself and BigDawg should be up there by 1030 or so.

Old 04-18-2010, 8:06 AM
Calguns Addict

If I make it it will be in the afternoon when the wife wakes up after working last night. Keeping my fingers crossed I can make it out to do some cleaning and run some ammo through one of the nwer builds.
Old 04-18-2010, 3:31 PM

I made it up there this morning, and met up with BigDog and Gilla. We worked for a couple hours, and made... a beginning, anyway! Some locals showed up, and actually pitched in, a bit.
All in all, it was a productive morning. Good to meet you guys; we'll have to put something together again soon. Maybe more shooting next time (for me, anyway!).
Old 04-18-2010, 4:01 PM
Calguns Addict

I'll post some snaps as soon as I get lawn cut out back and get started cleaning guns...

Met with GillaFunk and jbt56. We filled up the better part of seven large trash bags and made a bit of a dent. The locals who showed up did a bit, I think we shamed them into it just a smidge, and gave them the referral to CGN.

It's going to take a few people several trips or a good sized party a couple of trips. There are some shot up electronics, and a creek bed that needs to be cleaned out as well, although I made some headway down there.

After the effort GillaFunk and I were both somewhat off our games in shooting, but we still managed to send some downrange with authority. It's a long trek up the hill, a full ten miles, but the scenery is wonderful.

All you SoCo members need to get up there. If we all pack out one bag of crap it'll be a lot cleaner.

Quote:
Old 04-19-2010, 9:42 AM

I saw the pictures GillaFunk put up on facebook. Man that place was a dump. Next time you guys go up let me know and I can take my trash trailer to get stuff like the fridge out of there.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I tried to make it but when my wife found out I was cleaning a gun range instead of my yard, well at least I did not sleep on the couch.

jerry
Old 04-19-2010, 4:56 PM

Yeah, those that didnt come up missed out. Its pretty fooking hanus up there. The Sonoma County locals need to team up and handle this situation.

and the kicker......

So, we ended the day taking home a few bags of crap, 2 or 3 of which were ONLY shotgun shells.

Old 04-19-2010, 5:08 PM

It was good to meet those that showed up. Hopefully we can do it again a few more times and make a dent in this chit. Keep in mind too, that this is only 1/2 of the entire shooting area. The other half isn't as bad, but still needs some lovin'

Old 04-19-2010, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillaFunk View Post
so I suggest ya'll bring some ear-plugs and something to snack on / drink (nothing alcoholic please)
Guns and alcohol don't mix; I salute ya (and this comes from a guy who can float a battleship in Jack Daniels :-) ...

CCW Santa Clara County sponsor ... ric (aka Michael

Once the 2'nd goes, the others are like dominos (auth: ricochet: 2013) ...
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away ...

WTB: super tall stainless scope rings (see thru preferred) and/or rear sight replacement for Mini 14
WTS: tall rings
Old 04-19-2010, 8:39 PM
Calguns Addict

A couple more pix.... since GillaFunk got several of the same angles I did.

The place is pretty trashed, this is past and down below where the people shooting in the last picture were at....

The next image just makes me plain mad... there is a nice fresh water creek that runs through the area and down into the canyon, and it's full of shot up junk. This kind of stuff will get it closed down. We made a dent in it, but it needs more help.

A shot up fridge discarded below the promontory. This actually will be easy to get out with some help, ropes and a come along.

Before the locals got there... GillaFunk in the foreground mining .223 and .308 brass and jbt back by the truck. We made gone with a lot of the shotgun hulls, brass and loose trash from the upper area.

A little hard to see, but we thoroughly filled up the back of my little truck.

This is what really makes the place cool, to me. It sits out on a promontory overlooking a pretty huge canyon. These are the local who came and they are hand throwing clays out over the canyon.... they keep going, and going and going. The photo doesn't do justice to just how big, steep and far across it really is.

Quote:
Old 04-22-2010, 11:20 PM

I just went up last sunday and shot around 150 clays with my buddies. And just seeing that fridge pisses me off, I just wish I had some way of getting it out of there.
Old 04-23-2010, 8:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Ropes, block and tackle, a come along, or a good winch on the front of a truck along with a few guys to help load it and a truck big enough to haul it out would help a lot.

What we need is good group of guys, some gear, and a few hours to really make a difference.

The shot up van a hundred yards or so down the west slope into the canyon will probably be a little tougher.

Quote:
Old 04-23-2010, 1:35 PM

I'm thinkin' the van will just have to 'rust in peace'.
A big truck, some equipment, and a few strong backs can take care of the rest.
Old 04-23-2010, 3:09 PM

I have a truck and winch. Let me know the next you are going up and maybe we can get that fridge out of there. I live in Santa Rosa
Old 04-27-2010, 7:38 AM

Did anyone go up this weekend?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Calguns Addict

I went trap shooting in Sonoma this past Sunday. Not sure if this next weekend will be more trap shooting or another Pine Flat run. Probably depend on how much interest there is.

Next Sunday the 2nd looks like it'll be perfect weather, although the dirt road in from the turnout will likely still be a bit soggy from the rain we're getting now.

Quote:
Old 04-27-2010, 12:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I went up there last Thursday with and buddy and did some shooting and cleaning.Managed to get a couple of bags of trash cleaned up out of there. It is pretty flipping trashed,but if everyone brings at least one bag out of there when they shoot it should be noticeably cleaner very soon.