Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginit View Post
We didn't get to do the pie thing. But I hate to waste good food anyways. Especially pie. Can we just shoot leftovers? There were only 3 shooters there. Personally, I had a great time. Meeting the people and checking out the old 22's and shotguns they had there. I wish they were in my collection.
I know. I'm looking around for an old Winchester Target 69A. Man, I want one!

Quote:
The buckshot and 3", #4 Magnum loads tons were of fun, Blossy took out the center of the target with every shot from my 12 Ga. and was a great shot with the 22 mag and the 1911. A 1st timer too! Byron was a good shot too. I think he enjoyed it. These 2 newbies were impressive. Both showed proper etiquette and Hit the black.
I'm wondering if it would be as much fun with more people or not. Guess I'll find out next time.
If Blossy is who I think she is, she is a VERY IMPRESSIVE shot. The last time, she blew me away with her shooting prowess with the .22 rifle. We had a good array of folks last time, and it's a lot of fun teaching new shooters. New shooters become seasoned shooter very quickly. I think it's great when they start eye-ballin' your hardware and start asking "Where can I get one of those?"
Old 12-13-2009, 9:10 PM

Hi, Rogue, and everyone,

We had a bit slower event than usual last Saturday, to be sure.

Several of the regular participants couldn't make it for various reasons (not feeling well, having to work or do family-related things, problems with their transportation, etc.......that, and it was a cold, rainy, 'icky' sort of day aqui in the barrio de Sanjo....'good day to just stay home' sort of day)

There were 15 participants, all told, tho, and quite a bit of shooting going on in the early afternoon. The people seemed happy with the earlier starting time now (1400). Giles did quite well instructing/coaching some newbies, a couple of whom had never done any shooting before.

A number of the participants just did a bit of plinking, had some pizza, and left early.

Blossy did quite well with the old target 22, and had a good time with the shotguns. I burned a bit of 22 plinking at the tennis balls myself, and......well, I think I need a seeing-eye dog or something. The tennis balls all died, it just took a few more rounds than should have been, thats all....... : )

Two of the new participants donated some 22, so we've enough to keep going for another month or two...... : )

We didn't do a pie shoot this time, as no one brought a pie....... : (

One of the participants brought pizza, tho, and we had coffee/pastries for all.

Elaine had our Israeli military field radio set up, with an improvised long-wire antenna, and was doing a bit of 'field expedient commo' show-and-tell.

I expect the next few months will be relatively 'low-key', now that we're in the cold rainy season......but we'll keep going..... : )

cheers

Carla
Old 12-15-2009, 7:35 PM

This sounds like a great event, thanks for putting it on.

I may come out next time to finally get out and meet some more local Calgunners, and I may bring the lady with me if she can make it. I've taken her shooting a couple times and she seems to like it. I'm a lucky man.
Old 12-24-2009, 6:00 PM
Veteran Member

You're right, You are a lucky man.
It was nice to finally meet you, Carla. I loved the police 12 Ga. you let me shoot. I'm really glad I went, dispite the pouring rain. The lack of a nightime crowd put a much more personal touch to the shoot. Glad this is working out for you and your sister.
I just got a couple of 22 cal. pistols I may bring next time. But if someone brings a pie, I think I will eat it before it gets shot up....At least part of it, When no one's looking. So they had better either hide it or bring 2.

The DOJ knows that two guys with semi autos that have a folding or collapsable stock, or pistol grip could take out California's entire police force, SWAT, and the National Guard. Jeeze, that pistol grip and stock are really dangerous...
Old 12-26-2009, 1:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioS View Post
This sounds like a great event, thanks for putting it on.

I may come out next time to finally get out and meet some more local Calgunners, and I may bring the lady with me if she can make it. I've taken her shooting a couple times and she seems to like it. I'm a lucky man.
You should come out even if your gf decides to stay home.

Quote:
You're right, You are a lucky man.
It was nice to finally meet you, Carla. I loved the police 12 Ga. you let me shoot. I'm really glad I went, dispite the pouring rain. The lack of a nightime crowd put a much more personal touch to the shoot. Glad this is working out for you and your sister.
I just got a couple of 22 cal. pistols I may bring next time. But if someone brings a pie, I think I will eat it before it gets shot up....At least part of it, When no one's looking. So they had better either hide it or bring 2.
Hey James, sorry I was not able to make it out last time. I will try to make it out to January's meet there. See you around,

-Gio
Old 12-26-2009, 4:00 PM

Let me know if there's anything I can bring that would help. I heard talk of pies...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio View Post
You should come out even if your gf decides to stay home.
-Gio
Yeah, I'm going to try to make it to the next one.
Old 12-27-2009, 7:51 AM

Hi, Mario,

The most important single item is to 'bring newbies'.

Its all well and good that the event is an enjoyable social meeting, conversation, and plinking event for gun-freaks, but the underlying idea is to 'reach out' to the newbies.......to provide basic safety/proficiency instruction and familiarisation to those who are new to firearms and shooting, particularly, but not exclusively, young people, and women who are considering owning a weapon for self-defence.

So.....if you'd like to help make the project work, please bring some more 'newbies' if at all possible.

If you'd care to bring a really nice pie, for the 'pie shoot', I'd be gratefully appreciative.....(we have a local bakery here where they make excellent bread, but their pies are only so-so......I don't know where to get a really good pie, actually)....and I'll re-emburse you for the cost of the pie.

(for the 'pie shoot', everyone gets to use the same light target 22, rounds from the same brick, and the same style of target, so the challenge is the same for everyone.....best score wins the pie, and the winner has the choice of taking the pie home, or cutting it and sharing it out with the other participants)

You could also bring a box of Twinkies.......a couple of times, I've done a 'Dan White memorial Twinkie shoot', in which the participant cartoons a smile face on a very small post-it note pad, runs it 50' down-range, and, if he/she hits it, wins a Twinkie (if you're thinking ?????, do a 'google' search on Dan White and Harvey Milk.....its a bit of local history)

If you can afford to donate some 22 rounds for newbies use, that would really help.

cheers

Carla
Old 12-27-2009, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphodel View Post
Hi, Mario,

The most important single item is to 'bring newbies'.

Its all well and good that the event is an enjoyable social meeting, conversation, and plinking event for gun-freaks, but the underlying idea is to 'reach out' to the newbies.......to provide basic safety/proficiency instruction and familiarisation to those who are new to firearms and shooting, particularly, but not exclusively, young people, and women who are considering owning a weapon for self-defence.

So.....if you'd like to help make the project work, please bring some more 'newbies' if at all possible.

If you'd care to bring a really nice pie, for the 'pie shoot', I'd be gratefully appreciative.....(we have a local bakery here where they make excellent bread, but their pies are only so-so......I don't know where to get a really good pie, actually)....and I'll re-emburse you for the cost of the pie.

(for the 'pie shoot', everyone gets to use the same light target 22, rounds from the same brick, and the same style of target, so the challenge is the same for everyone.....best score wins the pie, and the winner has the choice of taking the pie home, or cutting it and sharing it out with the other participants)

You could also bring a box of Twinkies.......a couple of times, I've done a 'Dan White memorial Twinkie shoot', in which the participant cartoons a smile face on a very small post-it note pad, runs it 50' down-range, and, if he/she hits it, wins a Twinkie (if you're thinking ?????, do a 'google' search on Dan White and Harvey Milk.....its a bit of local history)

If you can afford to donate some 22 rounds for newbies use, that would really help.

cheers

Carla
Sounds good, Carla. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2009, 9:27 PM

Red face Age limit?

Hi Carla,

What is the minimum age? My ten year old son "whom is a lic hunter" was showing some interest in this. Is this too young for this group or is that about the age you are looking for?
Old 12-28-2009, 12:48 PM

Hi, P345,

Your ten-year-old is welcome, if you tell me that he will be well-behaved, polite, and responsible. (ten years age is generally considered a 'minimum'.....I'd waive that for a really exceptional 8 or 9 year old young person, but 10 is a Club policy item for the juniors programme.)

As a legal technicality which I really must follow, I dare not allow him to fire any handguns at the range (yes, I know, laws like that are 'bravo-sierra', but such is the harsh reality of living in a police-state), and he may fire a rifle only under your direct supervision.

That said, we'll have some 'shooting gallery' type targets so he can have a good time doing some 'amusement plinking' with an old Winchester pump 22, or try some serious target practice with a light target grade 22, as he might prefer.

cheers

Carla
Old 01-07-2010, 7:52 PM

Just a reminder, everyone.......the next event will be on this coming Saturday, the 9th.

Bring newbies !!

See you there..........beginning at 1400 (2PM).......... : )

cheers

Carla
Old 01-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

Huh? It's the Second Saturday already?

I better go round up my Newbies (and some ammo!).

"You know the real difference between you and me?"
"Yeah. Denial."

Toys I'm looking for (PPT/used): Ruger P93 (compact), Thompson Contender receiver and barrels

Stuff for sale:
WTS Beretta Tomcat Parts Kit Formica Sample Case
Old 01-08-2010, 6:40 PM

Will be there. Should we bring BBQ stuff?
Old 01-08-2010, 8:13 PM

Hi, Howard,

Its too cold outside, and gets dark too early, for bbq to be practical this month, and probably for the next couple of months as well. As soon as the weather gets nice, tho, we'll definitely be back to doing bbq.

Could you bring pizza for everyone? I'm sure others will chip in to help with the cost.

cheers

Carla
Old 01-08-2010, 8:40 PM

Shoot, I just saw this thread updated and have to back out at the last minute. Wish I remembered earlier so I could post sooner. One of my best buddies is celebrating their birthday tomorrow. I'll bring some .22LR rounds next time to make up for it.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:33 AM

everyone gets pizza
Old 01-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

I think I'll go, I'm hoping a newbie will meet me there. But I have a couple of 22's I'd like to take out of moth balls anyways.

The DOJ knows that two guys with semi autos that have a folding or collapsable stock, or pistol grip could take out California's entire police force, SWAT, and the National Guard. Jeeze, that pistol grip and stock are really dangerous...
Old 01-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

I'll be there with my usual new-ish shooters, aka Mom and Big Sistah. I was hoping to bring another newbie but she had a schedule change. I might be able to bring a replacement Newbie.

I'll have my .44Mag with some light loads. Carla, I know some of the shooters liked that one because of the custom trigger job. I've only made up 25 rounds of the gallery loads. I'll have to scrounge up some more brass.

Do we need a pie?

Mmmm, pie shoot! I've yet to place 1st!

"You know the real difference between you and me?"
"Yeah. Denial."

Toys I'm looking for (PPT/used): Ruger P93 (compact), Thompson Contender receiver and barrels

Stuff for sale:
WTS Beretta Tomcat Parts Kit Formica Sample Case

Last edited by RogueSniper; 01-09-2010 at 1:06 PM..
Old 01-09-2010, 5:36 PM

Sorry we are going to miss this as baseball tryout ran longer then expected.

I hope to make it next time...
Old 01-11-2010, 8:56 PM
Veteran Member

That was fun, I was suprised that the young shooters seemed to like the 1911 and the shotgun over the 22mag. or rimfire. Looking forward to warmer weather when we can BBQ. I'll try to come up with some reactive targets. Ya need more Tballs and spinners. And a can of yellow paint for touch ups.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:19 PM

This sounds like a good event to introduce my girlfriend to firearms, I'll have to keep my eyes out for the next event. Been trying to look for events like these to help her get more into it, thank you!
Old 01-20-2010, 9:10 PM
Veteran Member

You're right, It is. She can try a few different guns and get a feel for what she would like to own. You are both welcome to try my 22 mags or 1911. If I can make it. The range has some target 22 rifles and a nice 12 ga for new shooters to enjoy. The range officers are really nice. You will both have a good time and your girl will learn alot. You might even win a pie.
Give it a shot....

Old 02-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member

Four days and counting down ...
Hopefully I can make it this time.
Old 02-11-2010, 4:25 PM
Veteran Member

Currently reloading a bunch of .45 in anticipation of Saturday. How's the weather look? BBQ or Pizza?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:33 AM

Hi, Rogue, Diginit, and everyone,

Its looking as tho we won't be getting any rain, but the weather will be cloudy, and not very warm, particularly in the evening, so I think we'd probably best just stay with pizza/potluck again this month. I'll be bringing the coffee maker, of course, and some pastries.

Next month, if the weather turns nice, we can go back to doing barbecue.....it seems to me that the event is in a 'holding pattern' until the weather becomes nice enough that barbecue and conversation outside will be enjoyable......until then, we just keep the event going, on whatever small scale seems to work out, give the newbies some good basic training, and have a good time doing some plinking.

I've been very grateful for the work that you and the other experienced shooters have done in providing basic instruction for the newbies. (and as I've said any number of times, the event is really about the newbies, so we need to find ways to bring them in)

I did get a bit more 22 donated, so we'll have plenty for now, and I've got some large bits of cardboard box material for cartoon zombie targets. If anyone has some spinner or other 'reactive' targets suitable for 22 which they could bring, I'd appreciate.

Actually, anything 'cute and bouncy' which could be hung up as a reactive 22 target.....but wouldn't leave a mess.....would be appreciated.......cat toy mice?.....little stuffed animal characters from China?

The only real limitation we have, other than bounce-back hazard or messy cleanup issues, would be that, for 'political correctness' reasons, we mayn't have human photos or 'humanoid' targets........I'd be willing to make an exception for cartoon caricatures of Hitler, Tojo, and Mussolini, just as a bit of 'tradition' or some such thing.

Remember, I got the Rifle Club membership to vote to allow the second Saturday event to take over the Saturday 'public hours' time, so we'll be beginning at 1400 (2PM) and running until everyone has done all the shooting they are in a mood to do......or have run out of rounds, whichever......just so long as we can reserve enough energy to clean up the range really nicely at the end of the evening.

Hopefully, we could keep the ambient noise level down a bit, by staying with 22's for the newbies during the earlier part of the day, then later run 'big kids time' with the more 'acoustically noticeable' weapons. (I asked Dean and Sue to please bring their cute old 410......if anyone has a few stray 410 rounds, dig them out and bring them, alright?) We'll have plenty of 12ga. rounds.

Who can bring a nice pie? (I will re-emburse the cost of the pie) Would anyone care to bring some Twinkies?

Is there anything else anyone can think of, for a nice 'fun shoot' event this Saturday?

cheers

Carla
Old 02-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Previous dinner plans that I had forgotten - now I can't make it. I'll try to sneak out after dinner to join later.
Old 03-01-2010, 9:08 PM
Veteran Member

Th next one is when? The 13th right? I have a newbie neighbor that may attend with her daughter. but I may be at a desert shoot.

Last edited by diginit; 03-01-2010 at 9:12 PM..
Old 03-11-2010, 2:33 AM

Hello, all

We may or may not be doing the Second Saturday event this month.

Bad news........I'll start a new 'thread'

C
Old 03-15-2010, 6:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphodel View Post
Hello, all

We may or may not be doing the Second Saturday event this month.

Bad news........I'll start a new 'thread'

C