Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 02-28-2010, 4:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Need help ladies, non gun related

When I get back from this current deployment, I want to do something really special for my parents. They have supported me all my life in everything that I do and even when I was an absolute douche to them, they forgave me and never stopped loving me unconditionally.
I know what I want to do for my father but I have no idea what to do for my mother at all. I was thinking of keeping it somewhat under a grand. She is in her late fifties, rarely shoots and doesnt have much hobbies less its just going to church. She would work non stop until recently when she had to do on workmans comp so she has freetime now.
What do you ladies suggest doing for her or getting her? Remember I need to keep this under a grand.
Old 02-28-2010, 7:04 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm not a lady but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

How about getting Mom a day or weekend at a spa where she can be pampered and waited on hand and foot?
Old 02-28-2010, 8:47 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I also like the spa idea where your mom is the focus instead of her running around being the one who makes everyone else's life so great. In addition to the spa, some women like to have a "makeover," so you may want to see if that's included in the spa treatment.

One of my kids works at Costco; they sell spa certificates where they give you a list of facilities that honor the certificate. The other place I know of that has a nice facility is the Fairmont in Sonoma County.

I work in the Napa wine country area, so that's another thought since I don't think there are any "bad" major hotels in the area. Maybe she'd like some wine tasting thrown in too?

You're a good son
Old 02-28-2010, 10:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I got my mom the spa thing before in the past and the gift certificate expired as she didnt really take interest in actually going. She doesnt drink also
Old 02-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

How about a cruise on a ship? I know you can find some good deals on them, they sail just about everywhere, and it's something just for the two of them.
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 02-28-2010, 12:09 PM

Take your Mom out on some dinner dates with you picking up the tab on them. You would be suprised how much this could mean to her. Then spend the time listening to her.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:20 PM

Dude, I think the most valuable thing you can do for her is write her a letter. The one that comes from your heart telling her everything your feeling inside. Remembering times when you were the douche and signifying that you understand that now and regret it. Sit there while she reads it and be there for the hug afterwards. I have no doubt she'll keep and treasure that the most. I had this idea a long time ago but never got the chance to do it. I know where your coming from man. The things that matter most to mom's is knowing they did a good job with their kids. FWIW.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

I always go the jewelry route... since your mom goes to Church why not get her a really nice diamond cross pendant? You could take your parents out to Ruth's Chris and give it to her there, along with what SoCal50Lover suggested...
It's really sweet what you're wanting to do! Whatever it is she'll love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
Testicles of steel, bladder of titanium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceflinch View Post
F the World Bank
F the UN &
F Obama

Sacramento Community Chapter Social Group... Join Here!
Old 02-28-2010, 2:17 PM
CGSSA Director - C3 Leader & Regional Gun Show Booth Coordinator (LA/OC/IE)

Paging Angie.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable. George S. Patton
Old 02-28-2010, 3:08 PM

Maybe a puppy, cat, or grandchild?
Old 02-28-2010, 5:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

lol. I was talking to a lady friend about this also. She asked what my mom really wanted more than anything and suprise suprise, a grand kid lol.
So what say you ladies? Care for a tax write off?
I keed I keed!
A cruise sounds alright but my parents are really into swimming and sun that much
Old 03-01-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench57 View Post
Take your Mom out on some dinner dates with you picking up the tab on them. You would be suprised how much this could mean to her. Then spend the time listening to her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal50Lover View Post
Dude, I think the most valuable thing you can do for her is write her a letter. The one that comes from your heart telling her everything your feeling inside. Remembering times when you were the douche and signifying that you understand that now and regret it. Sit there while she reads it and be there for the hug afterwards. I have no doubt she'll keep and treasure that the most. I had this idea a long time ago but never got the chance to do it. I know where your coming from man. The things that matter most to mom's is knowing they did a good job with their kids. FWIW.
I'm kinda with them on this one... though jewelry is always nice (can't dislike shiny stuff!), and getting pampered is lovely, most moms/grandmas just want to spend time with you. My mom already has so much stuff that she doesn't really need anything, and she won't ever take the time to go to a spa or do something for herself. So when I want to let her know how much I appreciate her, I write her a nice long thoughtful card/letter(something she'll want to keep), or take her out to dinner, just me and her, and just hang out together.

Remember, they usually don't get to spend much time with their children, and who knows how much time they have left. My time is the most valuable thing to my mom, and I'm more than happy to show her how much I care by investing that time in connecting with her. That's what my mom, at least, really wants.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:07 PM

plane ticket or tour fare to some place she always wanted to see/visit?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:30 PM
C3 Leader

Ok, she wasn't so hot with the spa idea or enjoys drinking... send her to Vegas
Old 03-01-2010, 7:45 PM
Calguns Addict

No lady here, just a married guy that likes to stay happy.
My wife is mid 40's and loves places like the Glen Ivy Spa in Corona, CA. She also likes a place in Glendora, CA called Peaches and Cream.
Throw in a limo and a nice meal somewhere. Maybe include her Sister or best friend. Maybe have the limo take her further South to Temecula for wine tasting.
Here in the LA area, you can get 3 or 4 day cruises to Ensenada, Mexico for way less that a grand for 2 people. Find a decent travel agent and ask for advice. Lots of deals right now. No requirement to exit the ship in Mexico if she is not comfortable going there. She can stay on the ship and enjoy the day. Lots of fun things to do on a ship without ever getting wet.
A grand is a fair amount of money in this economy. Open up your mind and be creative. Even the Auto Club Magazine (Westways) lists all kind of travel bargains.
Old 03-01-2010, 8:30 PM

Have u thought about going on a trip with her? Maybe a beach or mountain stay for the weekend, with activities together. I know my mom is not into the spa or cruise thing, especially if she had to go alone ... And would question why I was spending sooo much money for an expensive dinner. She's also another one who would put a grandchild on the top of her want list haha... Whatever u decide, good luck I'm sure she will be happy you thought of her.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Spend a day w/ Mom.
Start w/ manicures & pedicures. Lunch. Shooting Range, Back road drive, Dinner, Comedy club/play.

Boycott Guns Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville!

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Member: NRA, CRPA, IDPA, Diablo Rod & Gun, Local 39
Old 03-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like your mother is an introvert and is not obvious in displaying or talking about what she likes. If she is that private, I think you need to sit down and think about the things she loves to do besides working and going to church.

Like men, women develop over time certain passions. She might love cooking, she might love watching certain tv shows or actors/actresses, she might love knitting, she might love history, she might love reading mystery/detective stories, she might love the thought of traveling to Italy or the Holy Land, she might even really love the work she does, and so on. And if spending some time thinking about her gives you no clues, then maybe talk to your father. He might know what she likes and enjoys and tell you without spilling the beans to her.

Then again, you could ask her yourself -- over the phone, on the internet, or in a letter. Actually, now that I think about it, I like the idea of asking her before you return home. Because if she is introverted, she prolly likes to think about things before she acts. Give her some time to think about something special she'd really want to do and maybe you'll have your answer before you come home.

And if she wants to travel to the Holy Land or see the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican (Rome, Italy), a thousand bucks will prolly pay for her airfare. She and your father will have to cough up the rest for hotels, etc. They might even invite you along as their guest.