Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-19-2010, 2:03 PM

Default Pistol and Rifle Reloading Kit?

I did some reading and some searching. I know there are TONS of threads about reloading kits. However I didn't see anyone loading from pistol caliber to rifle. (well no 1 beyond .223) I saw somewhere that if I want to reload 762X54R, 30-06, .223, and .45 some of the kits won't do them all. Or maybe I misunderstood. I realize I'm going to need to buy dies for them all but where should I start? I noticed on Midway USA that the Lee progressive was getting 1-2 out of 5 stars.

If I were to get this to scerw around with and not dive in head first could this do all of those rounds?http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=79396

I am very mechanically inclined which makes me want to go and drop the hammer on a RCBS. The difference in price just makes me want to buy the $25 dollar one and give it a try before I go nuts.

Money isn't really an issue as I am going to be reloading for myself and my uncle which makes me want to get the progressive style. He's going to go halfers on it with me.
Old 02-19-2010, 2:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It's not exactly pistol vs. rifle. It's more about bottle necked vs. straight walled cartridges. With bottlen ecked cartridges, you'll need to trim your brass afte sizing and before loading. So, you'll need a trimmer as well. The only other concern is that whatever press you get is large enough to handle your longest rounds. Most presses will do this for most people.

I'd advise you not to buy anything until you have a little hands on experience. Take a class and see several different meathods of doing different things. While I own three progressive presses, I will not be without a few single stage presses as well.

The link you posted is the cheapest way to start. each $25 kit will only do one cartridge. It would be far better to take a class and learn how to do it properly and SAFELY!!!!!

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 02-19-2010, 2:14 PM

That type of reloader isnt the same as the press style that everyone uses. It will only do one cal, you have to buy a new one for every new caliber you want. I really wouldnt go with that. If you already know you definitely want to reload AND you have someone to split the costs with, get something nice. full progressives are a little much to start off with but if you will be reloading alot they are very useful. The RCBS kits are really nice, and alot of the equipment that comes with those single stage presses you will continue to use. Even people who use progressives usually still have one or two single stage presses for random calibers or extreme precision. HTH
Old 02-19-2010, 6:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
It's not exactly pistol vs. rifle. It's more about bottle necked vs. straight walled cartridges. With bottlen ecked cartridges, you'll need to trim your brass afte sizing and before loading.
Actually, all brass should be checked for length after resizing and trimmed if necessary. In fact, proper case length is even more important for straight-walled cartridges than necked cartridges, since straight-walled cartridges often headspace off of the case mouth.

To the original poster, a good reloading press will allow you to reload both pistol and rifle cartridges. I have used my Lee Turret Press to reload cartridges ranging from .380ACP to .30-06.
Old 02-19-2010, 8:50 PM

so the single stage is actually going to produce a more accurate round?
Old 02-19-2010, 8:55 PM

Well thanks to calguns member Tanner for the info. I'm going to get a reloading class tomorrow at Field Time Sports and Guns
Old 02-19-2010, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Labs View Post
so the single stage is actually going to produce a more accurate round?
IMO yes since you have the ability to inspect,trim brass,measure powder,etc on everyround during the reloading process.I load my rifles on an rcbs .223,30-30,300 win mag and am picky when i load them.each piece of brass gets trimmed primer pockets cleaned,powder charge is measured.For plinker 30-30, and .223 i aint as anal about it but target ammo is strict.

I bought the rockchucker kit about 12-13 years ago and then it was just 30-30,.223 and.45acp.I eventually bought a dillion SDB for my .45 since i didnt need to do as much work to the brass vs rifle.
Old 02-21-2010, 9:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Labs View Post
Well thanks to calguns member Tanner for the info. I'm going to get a reloading class tomorrow at Field Time Sports and Guns
So, what did you learn?

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 02-21-2010, 9:40 PM

ALOT but I still have much to learn. I picked up a hornady single stage kit. I still have to pick up some more supplies like case holder, powder, bullets, and primers.