Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2010, 5:17 PM
CGN Contributor
Default Vader Spadeís 80% AR-15 build - Milling, Etching, & Anodizing

With a Tactical Machining Jig. Customer support at Tactical Machining is second to none, they are great to work with, and have always gone above and beyond.

First I want to thank everyone for all the help I’ve received on these boards. I’ve done a few of these now, and I just about have the kinks worked out, so I thought I would pay it forward, and help others with their builds.

Now let me say if your trying to save money this is not the place to do it. It cost a lot more to make your own than it does to buy a lower ready to go. Unless of course you already have ALL the tools, cutters, anodizing equipment, etc.

The Tactical Machining jig is by far the easiest way to complete an 80% receiver that I’ve tried. I was lucky enough to find a killer deal on a nearly new mill for $850.00 on Craigslist.
If your going to try milling with a drill press I would recommend getting (at the least) an X, Y table, and a vise.

A small mill would be better. With a drill press you will need to go much slower. Although most jigs are designed to work with a drill press, there are a few problems; the most dangerous of these is your drill chuck coming lose at high speeds. I don’t recommend using a drill press, but I did with my first build, and sure enough the drill chuck came loose and buggered up my FCG pocket. I locked it back into place with RED loctite gave a day to set up, and had no further problems. If you do this you do so at your own risk.

I won’t be covering all the measurements and dimensions just yet they are easily available elsewhere. I’ll post a link at some point.

The Tactical Machining jig is very straightforward, use this plate with this end mill, and
go slow.

Check out my engraving gallery on my website, Thanks

Last edited by VaderSpade; 12-26-2015 at 8:05 AM..