Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 01-27-2010, 6:39 AM
Veteran Member

Default Peephole Camera

Does anyone make a complete mini-system for viewing through a peephole. I'm looking for something to replace my current optical thru-the-door viewer with an electronic setup, preferably self-contained (i.e., battery powered) with a small LCD monitor that mounts on the inside of the door directly behind the camera.

I've searched but to no avail.

Old 01-27-2010, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifax View Post
Does anyone make a complete mini-system for viewing through a peephole. I'm looking for something to replace my current optical thru-the-door viewer with an electronic setup, preferably self-contained (i.e., battery powered) with a small LCD monitor that mounts on the inside of the door directly behind the camera.

I've searched but to no avail.
Try doing a browser search with "Counter Surveillance Equipment Peephole". You will get plenty of results. Like this one: http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/do...e-cameras.html
"People crushed by law, have no hopes but from power. If laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to laws; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose, will always be dangerous" - Edmund Burke (1777)
Old 01-27-2010, 8:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalgunrunner View Post
Try doing a browser search with "Counter Surveillance Equipment Peephole". You will get plenty of results. Like this one: http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/do...e-cameras.html
Thanks. I've seen the cameras but was hoping for a complete unit with LCD, and battery powered to just mount on the back of the door out of the box.

I'll keep looking but if anyone knows of one, please post.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 AM

The camera and LCD screen would mean you would have to change the battery every four to eight hours depending on the battery type. Try going to www.supercircuits.com .
Old 01-27-2010, 1:43 PM

I would go with a wireless camera positioned so you could get more view around the door. Then you don't have to worry about power going up the door, etc. Also, you could then keep the wireless monitor (you can get hand held ones) where ever you want. I'm guessing though maybe you're in an apartment complex and this is why you're going for this solution.

If you wanted to spend a few bucks you could go with a wired peephole camera (good quality is $60-120) and hide that some where just outside. You could even wire that up to a wireless transmitter.

Since it sounds like you have access to be able to alter the door, there are all sorts of options you have for making your own set up. Run power to the door, get a peephole camera, embed that in the door (if you do it right you could make it completely hidden, or just let it look like a regular peephole) run the vid and power wire through the backside of the door and to any kind of small monitor (you could have it mounted to the backside of the door if you want). Since you would be buying your own covert camera, you would have the option of buying a quality wide lens, color, black and white, etc, and then just look for a monitor. Note that you may have to buy a bnc to rca connector depending on the set up.

I worked for years wiring up covert cameras (and interviewing and interrogating people), etc, so if you have any questions, shoot away.
Old 01-27-2010, 1:49 PM

Unfortunately I've never had to deal with a door peephole camera, but I think I have seen them before, just don't give up and you'll probably find something. Are you asking for a battery pack so that you could just intermittently turn it off and on? Good luck. This'll be a big pain in the butt to rig up, so you better have a huge aversion to just using the "analog" peephole for this to be worth it.
Old 01-27-2010, 1:53 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys. I'll figure out something.

Old 01-27-2010, 1:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrupt View Post
I would go with a wireless camera positioned so you could get more view around the door. Then you don't have to worry about power going up the door, etc. Also, you could then keep the wireless monitor (you can get hand held ones) where ever you want. I'm guessing though maybe you're in an apartment complex and this is why you're going for this solution.

If you wanted to spend a few bucks you could go with a wired peephole camera (good quality is $60-120) and hide that some where just outside. You could even wire that up to a wireless transmitter.

Since it sounds like you have access to be able to alter the door, there are all sorts of options you have for making your own set up. Run power to the door, get a peephole camera, embed that in the door (if you do it right you could make it completely hidden, or just let it look like a regular peephole) run the vid and power wire through the backside of the door and to any kind of small monitor (you could have it mounted to the backside of the door if you want). Since you would be buying your own covert camera, you would have the option of buying a quality wide lens, color, black and white, etc, and then just look for a monitor. Note that you may have to buy a bnc to rca connector depending on the set up.

I worked for years wiring up covert cameras (and interviewing and interrogating people), etc, so if you have any questions, shoot away.
Thanks. Some good ideas there.

ETA: So, If I get one of these and one of these, I will still need a transmitter and power supply. Correct?

Last edited by halifax; 01-27-2010 at 2:10 PM.. Reason: added stuff
Old 01-27-2010, 2:32 PM

I worked at a bank, and what they had was not a camera and lcd, but a wide angle peephole, that used prisms on the outside, and a big (like 6 inches across) ground glass screen on the inside.

It takes no electricity, but it was kinda dim, so it wouldn't work well if the outside of your door wasn't well lit.