Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 01-16-2010, 4:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Replacing router

Dont ask me how but my 1 year old got a hold of my router and broke the antenna. Ever since, my high speed connection is slow as ever! I had an extra brand new router sitting in the closet so i swapped routers and even downloaded the given software. For some reason the modem is not recognizing the router and its driving me insane!!! Do I have to first uninstall the original router and its components before downloading the new one? Will I need some sort of password to connect? I know when I first installed my original router I had to input some password. I have since lost and forgotten the password. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance
Old 01-16-2010, 5:05 PM

Evidens,

More info is needed. what brand router? isp? typically, routers are independent of the computer. The software you mentioned is probably a setup disk that will run you through a series of questions so it can input the right info in the router. Since the router didn't work outta the box my guess is you have a PPPoE connection which requires a user name and password ie- your email address and password to the email. to log into the router, you have to use the gateway address in your web browser ie 192.168.1.1(most Linksys routers) the use admin for password to log in.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-17-2010, 4:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You do not need to install the router software, everything is controlled from the web interface. Login to that and make sure the settings are correct for your ISP.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 01-17-2010, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evidens83 View Post
Will I need some sort of password to connect? I know when I first installed my original router I had to input some password. I have since lost and forgotten the password. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance
It would really help us help you if you gave us the make and model of the router. If you didn't change the password, chances are we can look up the default for you.
Old 01-17-2010, 9:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Original router was a cheapo Netgear. New one is a Netgear Rangemax Wireless Router WPN824.
Old 01-17-2010, 1:00 PM

Maybe your modem is looking for a certain MAC address that has been registered with your ISP. If you can get into your old router configuration you can look up if it was setup to spoof your computer's MAC address and set it up same way on your new router.
See here for more info.

I had to do this with my ISP: Astound Broadband.
Old 01-17-2010, 2:03 PM

When you say the modem won't "recognize" the router, are you saying that you can't connect to the Internet?

Typically, the router will request an IP address from the ISP on its own, with little to no user interaction. The only time it won't, is if it's currently set to use a static IP, so you're going to need to post the settings of this new router that you installed so we can have a better idea of what's going on.
Old 01-17-2010, 2:43 PM
Calguns Addict

I cant connect to the internet. I beleive I have to change some settings but I'm not sure where to start
Old 01-17-2010, 6:43 PM
Calguns Addict

This is how slow I'm going with my broken antenna
Old 01-17-2010, 8:02 PM

Look up the manual for the new router online (or if you have it, open it up!) and find the default IP address for the router. Once you find it you can then enter it in Internet Explorer and change the settings from there.
Old 01-19-2010, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxmark View Post
Maybe your modem is looking for a certain MAC address that has been registered with your ISP. If you can get into your old router configuration you can look up if it was setup to spoof your computer's MAC address and set it up same way on your new router.
See here for more info.

I had to do this with my ISP: Astound Broadband.
Exactly. Some modems, such as many used by comcast look for a specific mac address. In some cases, you can reset the modem (usually with an inkpen) power cycle and in about 15 minutes it will take the new mac. Otherwise you can probably spoof with the new router.
Old 01-23-2010, 8:29 PM

Power off the modem and the router. Wait 10 minutes to be safe. Then power up the modem. Wait for the modem lights to stabilize. Then with the router connected correctly to the modem, power up the router. When the router has stabilized, go to your computer, to the web browser. For the URL, type 192.168.0.1 (that's the default Netgear setup address.) If that doesn't work, try 192.168.1.1. Hit the enter key. This should get you to the admin screen. Hopefully you remember your password if you've changed the defaults. Netgear's defaults are "admin" and "password" (no quote marks). If you have changed it and need to restore the router to factory settings, I believe that there is a small recessed button on the router. If you hold that button in for about 10 seconds, it wipes any user settings. Then you should be able to configure the router using default logins through your web browser.

If you need to look up stuff on the web in the meantime, try connecting your computer directly to the modem. You may need to restart the modem, then power up your computer. Waiting may be needed before restarting the modem. Use DHCP on the computer for your TCP/IP settings.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:16 PM

You can also call your isp and tell them you got a new router.
Old 01-24-2010, 7:18 PM
Calguns Addict

I've tried about ten times already last week unsuccessfully trying to connect to the internet with the new router connected. I'm gonna try again tomorrow using Rivers' method and pray it finally connects.

BTW this is how I've been trying to connect. Let me know if I've been doing something wrong.
1. Insert installation CD-ROM and run.
2. Unplug both the modem and original router.
3. Unplug the ethernet cable from the original router and plug it into the new router.
4. Plug back in the modem and new router. Power up and wait until proper lights are blinking.
5. Plug in ethernet cable from the new router into my laptop's ethernet slot.

After step 5 the installation CD takes me to some router log-in screen and asks for a password. I'm not really sure of my password so I've been typing admin as the username and password as the password. It tells me wrong password and eventually goes to the internet not connected page! Thing is starting to piss me off its driving me crazy! Somebody help!! Thanks for all of the comments and tips so far!
Old 01-25-2010, 2:58 PM

Are you using a CABLE MODEM for Internet?

FIRST: Turn off the router

SECOND: As these things latch on to the MAC address of your router - call your cable company and tell them to reset the cable modem - or find the little reset button on the box (stick a pencil in it)

THIRD: after the modem is reset and all the lights are happily doing their normal thing, turn on the router and let it find itself and the internet, you should be good to go.

THIS IS FOR CABLE MODEMS ONLY
Yeah but it is best when you can walk up to the hog and not be afraid to put the barrel on its forehead at the correct angle and then pull the trigger, or if you let the hog charge you with the pistol holstered then draw down when the hog is 6 feet away and let him have it, thatís the exciting way to take a hog.