Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-23-2010, 7:38 AM

Default Powder for 30 M1 Carbine

I am getting setup to load this round. I have 110g RN bullets and need to figure out what powder works well. The only powder I have in W231 that I use for my pistol rounds. My reloading manuals have about six different powders and this will be my first rifle round so I am looking for some ideas.
Thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 7:50 AM

You should be using jacketed bullets. Lead bullets can clog the gas port and it's not that easy to clean on an M1 Carbine.

As for powders, look to slower magnum pistol powders: 4227, 2400, H110/W296, Lil-Gun or fast rifle powders: SR4759.

The .30Carbine isn't a true pistol or rifle cartridge, it's something in the "middle" thus the overlap in powders.

The best plans do not survive first contact with the enemy.

Si, Yo Hablo Ingles, kind of.

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt
Old 01-23-2010, 8:31 AM

Anyone loaded Lil-gun in the 30 carbine? Some of the data I've seen shows a lot less pressure than H110 with similar velocity. Maybe a good way to keep the wear and tear down on a WW2 carbine?
Old 01-24-2010, 1:22 AM
Veteran Member

"use only jacketed bullets ------ " . I have been using cast lyman 311316, 311359, and 311410 in my carbines for nearly 50 years without any leading problems. Primary powders with cast have been 4227, unique, and 2400. Do you have personal experience with this problem ? or a reference ?
my ha-penny
Old 01-24-2010, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat View Post
"use only jacketed bullets ------ " . I have been using cast lyman 311316, 311359, and 311410 in my carbines for nearly 50 years without any leading problems. Primary powders with cast have been 4227, unique, and 2400. Do you have personal experience with this problem ? or a reference ?
my ha-penny
That gas piston only moves less than 1/2" and is not self-cleaning (main reason all US manufactured 30Carbine ammo has been loaded with non-corrosive primers). I've seen them gunked up with lead and lube. If it works for you, by all means.

The best plans do not survive first contact with the enemy.

Si, Yo Hablo Ingles, kind of.

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt
Old 01-25-2010, 2:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Handloader Magazine had an article about reloading M1 Carbine in the December 2008 issue. Recommended H-110, 2400, and VV-N110 for jacketed bullets, Western 5744 for cast bullets.