Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 01-24-2010, 9:45 PM

Default Mosin Ammo question.

is it better to shoot brass cased corrosive ammo. (surplus) instead of steel cased WOLF ammo that is not corrosive? I was thinking that since its an old gun the metal is probably worse (softer) and so the steel cased ammo might be even harder on an really old gun than on newer ones.

Just wondering since its kinda spendy to ship that stuff and i could get some local WOLF stuff.
Old 01-24-2010, 9:46 PM
Veteran Member

Its a mosin, feed it whatever you want, and it will work. Besides, if it does fail, its cheap to replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I have yet to meet a bad calgunner. Gun people for the most part are the better side of society. That is my opinion.
Old 01-24-2010, 9:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You have to take more precautions when shooting corrosive ammo and clean it more often (after every range trip, ideally). Besides that, it doesn't really matter. It was designed to shoot steels cased ammo. The surplus ammo you think of as being brass cased is most likely copper-washed steel cased ammo.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobert View Post
Its a mosin, feed it whatever you want, and it will work. Besides, if it does fail, its cheap to replace
^^ Pretty much. I'm not sure of the effects of various ammunition, but a good portion of that surplus ammo is steel core anyways, so buy/shoot whatever is what I would say. Whatever is best, I wouldn't worry about steel core effects.

And yes, if you use corrosive ammo, take the necessary steps to properly clean it afterwards. Another reason why the non-corrosive Wolf might be a better choice, at least IMO if you're just trying to make it go bang.

Last edited by Crusader Matt; 01-24-2010 at 10:06 PM..
Old 01-24-2010, 10:06 PM

If you are going to shoot surplus ammo learn how to properly clean your firearm.
Take care of your firearm and it will not fail. Respect and care for your investment. Here is a link for non-corrosive ammo.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...oft-point-ammo
Old 01-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader Matt View Post
^^ Pretty much. I'm not sure of the effects of various ammunition, but a good portion of that surplus ammo is steel core anyways, so buy/shoot whatever is what I would say. Whatever is best, I wouldn't worry about steel core effects.
He never asked about the effects of steel core ammo. He was asking about the effects of steel cased ammo.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 01-25-2010, 5:58 AM

i prefer to stick with brass cased ammo. my bolt is super awesome and i'd like to keep it cycling super smooth.
Old 01-25-2010, 7:22 AM

IMHO you don't need to baby mosins (baring a rare variation.) these guys made it through Russian winters and hard battles. If its one thing the Russians can do its make a weapon thats friggin indestructable and dang near junior soldier proof.
Old 01-25-2010, 9:40 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry to partially Hijack the thread, but on the topic of 7.62x54R, does anybody know of the cheapest non steel core ammunition?

The Angeles range over here won't allow us to shoot that stuff. I've found some surplus lead core stuff from PPU on ammoman, but it is still significantly more expensive than the Bulgarian steel core surplus.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:02 PM

yugo surplus would be your best bet

"I don't know we made brownies. And I think we're dead. Time is going by really really really really slow."

-Former cop, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnZb5wi_jsU
Old 01-25-2010, 12:06 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iareConfusE View Post
Sorry to partially Hijack the thread, but on the topic of 7.62x54R, does anybody know of the cheapest non steel core ammunition?

The Angeles range over here won't allow us to shoot that stuff. I've found some surplus lead core stuff from PPU on ammoman, but it is still significantly more expensive than the Bulgarian steel core surplus.
I think some of the Yugo ammo is lead core (Google Yugo 7.62x54R), maybe 20% more expensive than steel core. The Bulgarian is FMJ so the steel core never touches the rifling inside the bore if I have read correctly. Gotta think that no military would make ammo that would wear out or harm the barrel. Wouldn't make sense to do so.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:12 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoVilla View Post
is it better to shoot brass cased corrosive ammo. (surplus) instead of steel cased WOLF ammo that is not corrosive? I was thinking that since its an old gun the metal is probably worse (softer) and so the steel cased ammo might be even harder on an really old gun than on newer ones.

Just wondering since its kinda spendy to ship that stuff and i could get some local WOLF stuff.
I have been shooting Bulgarian light ball which has a copper washed case. Never had a sticky bolt, ejects easily. This weekend I picked up some Winchester (brass case) to try out and much to my surprise the bolt was harder to cycle between rounds than when using the Bulgarian. Go figure. As I understand any of the lacquered cases tend to cause the bolt to stick more than the copper washed. Barrel heats up, melts the lacquer causing some stickiness in the chamber. Never tried it myself.

Best to try a few different types and see what your particular rifle likes then sight in the rifle and use only that ammo.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssr. Eleganté View Post
He never asked about the effects of steel core ammo. He was asking about the effects of steel cased ammo.
Whoops! My mistake

And as for the asking about non steel core ammunition. I use this Bulgarian stuff. Its corrosive, cheap, and magnetic, but NOT steel core. Bulgaria did make some steel core stuff in the 80s but their surplus stuff from the 50s is lead core. Its magnetic and sometimes confused as steel core because it has a bi-metal jacket (copper and steel), but it is lead. If you're wondering about 7.62x54r ammo then this is a great site, as well as a great sight about Mosins in general.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader Matt View Post
Whoops! My mistake

And as for the asking about non steel core ammunition. I use this Bulgarian stuff. Its corrosive, cheap, and magnetic, but NOT steel core. Bulgaria did make some steel core stuff in the 80s but their surplus stuff from the 50s is lead core. Its magnetic and sometimes confused as steel core because it has a bi-metal jacket (copper and steel), but it is lead. If you're wondering about 7.62x54r ammo then this is a great site, as well as a great sight about Mosins in general.
Yeah I saw that bi-metal ammo, but the Angeles range won't allow that either. They won't allow anything with a steel component in the bullet itself. I'm sure steel case is fine but... they won't even allow a bi-metal bullet to be used.
Old 01-25-2010, 2:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There was a thread recently where someone found the Yugo non magnetic surplus ammo for around $80 per 300 rounds, which is a smokin deal. I paid around $120 per 300 shipped from ammoman a few months back. I think it was at Copes Distributing where they had the Yugo for cheap and only $7.95 shipping or something like that.
Old 01-25-2010, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
There was a thread recently where someone found the Yugo non magnetic surplus ammo for around $80 per 300 rounds, which is a smokin deal. I paid around $120 per 300 shipped from ammoman a few months back. I think it was at Copes Distributing where they had the Yugo for cheap and only $7.95 shipping or something like that.
You're correct, that was Copes Distributing. The deal's still on.

Looks like Aim Surplus has the same Yugo M30 ammo at $75/300, but at standard UPS shipping rates, so it would come out higher by the time it gets to Kalifornia. Aim Surplus

Last edited by RimfireJim; 01-26-2010 at 7:19 AM.. Reason: added info on Aim Surplus