Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 01-14-2010, 7:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default printer question

hey guys. I have a desktop upstairs hooked to a modem ( att modem) I also have a laptop downstairs using same modem ( wireless. ) the upstairs computer and downstairs computer are not networked or anything. they jsut use the same router.
CAN I somehow make the laptop send directions somehow to the upstairs printer through the network? I get tired of having to email myself docs jsut to run upstairs to print them.
I networked a computer system a long time ago. I can do the wiring easy as pie I jsut cant fugure out this vista program and how to netowrk the two computers together
Thanx for any help.
any of you guys in OC? I can pay you as long as its not some ridiculous amount
Old 01-14-2010, 10:01 PM

Hopefully this helps....if your printer is attached to your desktop upstairs then you can simply share the printer and through your laptop connect to that printer. They dont have to be networked but you can have them both under the same workgroup to make it easier. This way you can share files and printers between both systems.

If the printer is a network printer...them install that printer of your laptop through a tcp/ip port with an ip address assigned to the printer.
Old 01-15-2010, 9:34 AM

What Truj said. Or you can buy a print server so that your other machine doesn't have to be on all the time.
Old 01-15-2010, 1:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trujilr2 View Post
Hopefully this helps....if your printer is attached to your desktop upstairs then you can simply share the printer and through your laptop connect to that printer. They dont have to be networked but you can have them both under the same workgroup to make it easier. This way you can share files and printers between both systems.

If the printer is a network printer...them install that printer of your laptop through a tcp/ip port with an ip address assigned to the printer.
Ok so I need to install the printer disk to my laptop and then how do I connect it or make the laptop send the info to the printer. Do I need to run a cable up from downstairs to upstairs or can I do that wirelessly somehow.
Sorry but Im still trying to figure out the vista. I have the upgrade disk to Win 7 but I havent installed it yet
Old 01-15-2010, 2:06 PM

From what I gathered, the printer is installed on the desktop. What you want to do is have the desktop share the printer. You can do this by going to Printers and Faxes, right-clicking on the printer and then selecting Share. It should be self explanatory from there.

On the laptop, go to Printers and Faxes and choose Add Printer, choose to install a Network Printer. From there you can browse the network for your printer and the one you shared should show up there.

Simply put, since your computers are both connected to the same router (regardless of wired or wireless) they are in the same network. Also, keep in mind that with this setup, you cannot print anything to the printer unless the desktop is on.
Old 01-15-2010, 2:11 PM

If you have a network printer, you can just hook that up to your router. Then all you would have to do, is install the drivers on any computer on the network and your done, wired or wireless. Is your printer plugged in through the USB?

http://m1family.com
M1 Carbine Dedicated forum.
Old 01-15-2010, 2:36 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

What kind of printer are we talking about? More specifically, what type of connections does it have?

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché
Old 01-17-2010, 6:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
What kind of printer are we talking about? More specifically, what type of connections does it have?

USB its a fax printer scanner all in one. i think its made by brother. Damn thing was expoensive cost me 300 $ a year or so ago
Old 01-17-2010, 6:24 PM

Check out this article, it should help some.
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1596
Old 01-17-2010, 6:44 PM

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob454 View Post
USB its a fax printer scanner all in one. i think its made by brother. Damn thing was expoensive cost me 300 $ a year or so ago
USB only makes it pretty much a necessity to hook it up to a computer and turn on printer sharing as mentioned in another post.

Old 01-17-2010, 9:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Ok so I find the printer on the laptop and i print. then a window pops up and says printing but its not printing.
Damn it sucks to be retarded.
Old 01-18-2010, 7:51 AM

I don't know much about the printer sharing set up but I'll try to offer some further help anyway. Were you able to complete the printer sharing set up?

If so, at this point, you have one computer (turned on?) to which the printer (turned on?) is connected via a USB cable and printer sharing is set up/ activated etc.

Then, from your laptop, you try to print a document to that "shared printer". This is important because you can also print to the local driver on that laptop... which of course would not work in this case.

So you may have two choices. A Brother XXX that is local to your laptop (even though it's not hooked up) and a Brother XXX that is a shared. You have to pick the shared one.

Old 01-18-2010, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
So you may have two choices. A Brother XXX that is local to your laptop (even though it's not hooked up) and a Brother XXX that is a shared. You have to pick the shared one.
Yeah, I concur that this is probably the issue as well.