Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:52 AM

Default Need advice on a pistol class for my wife

My wife would like to take a basic defensive pistol class in the SF Bay Area. Her goal is to become proficient and comfortable with using her revolver in a home defense role (not CCW or competition). She gets put off with the crotch-grabbing machismo too often displayed in the gun shops I take her to (where is the old SF Gun Exchange when you need it?)—therefore, she would prefer a female instructor, or at least an all-female class.

What do you recommend in the Bay Area? Does anyone have personal experience from any of the following:

http://www.bisonrma.com/index.html

http://www.bayprofs.org/

http://www.summitselfdefense.com/sho..._francisco.htm

http://www.bayareafirearms.com/

No need to recommend Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, or Front Site....all too far away.

Thanks!

Last edited by jccam; 01-12-2010 at 1:12 AM..
Old 01-12-2010, 8:26 AM

You might want to check out Yavapai Firearms Academy at Reed's Indoor Range in Santa Clara. It's run by Louis Awerbuck and he's good with the female students, at least the two that were in the stage 1 class that I took with him last year. He's got a stage 1 at the end of this month. He's running his stage 2 class this weekend. You might want to drive to Reed's and take a look in the window and observe the class for a bit. You can probably talk to Louis briefly during one of the breaks if you want.
Old 01-13-2010, 7:35 PM

Thanks for the tip. I googled on Awerbuck and his class---looks like a good one!

However, the date doesn't work for us.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Last edited by jccam; 01-13-2010 at 7:36 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-13-2010, 8:14 PM

Hi,

you might want to check out stone cobra. he's posts his classes here on calguns and encourages women to take his 1 day basic pistol class. they're in sacramento valley shooting center too. i've never taken a class with them since i'm in socal la but read good after reviews about them.

http://www.stonecobratactical.com/Ci...n_Courses.html

after that or a similar class, you should take a class with her that has a live fire shoothouse so she'll get the feel of threat discrimination shoot/no shoot and definitely some type of low-light class with a handheld flashlight.

hope this helps out

just saw this post on some free classes for women. not sure how close manteca is to you.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=258727

Last edited by willm952; 01-13-2010 at 8:24 PM.. Reason: new info
Old 01-14-2010, 10:28 PM

I'm not sure where in the bay area your located, but the Manteca Sportsmen is offering a free woman's class this Saturday. We'll be teaching Pistol I and Pistol II back to back (its a make up for Pistol III in February). Its not uncommon for spouses to head to the rifle range during the class.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=259404

Also follow my sig, or send me a PM for more information.
Indoor Winter Rimfire Shoot. Information here
Old 01-14-2010, 11:44 PM

Default Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronite View Post
You might want to check out Yavapai Firearms Academy at Reed's Indoor Range in Santa Clara. It's run by Louis Awerbuck and he's good with the female students, at least the two that were in the stage 1 class that I took with him last year. He's got a stage 1 at the end of this month. He's running his stage 2 class this weekend. You might want to drive to Reed's and take a look in the window and observe the class for a bit. You can probably talk to Louis briefly during one of the breaks if you want.
To the OP:

I agree Mr. Louis Awerbuck would be an excellent choice for a first class or any other. Mr. Awerbuck is a well respected and extremely knowledgeable individual. Even if you have taken classes from others, taking his class would be something to seriously consider.

Another great instructor, a bit down South for you, is Mr. Scott Reitz and his wife who run ITTS.

There are many great instructors out there, but I generally prefer to learn from someone who has actual experience in multiple gunfights, because practical experience always trumps theoretically based ideas and book learned techniques.

Mr. Awerbuck and Reitz are able to provide this type of practical/ real world experience and knowledge. Something to consider when you spend your money. I also like that they are generally of the philosophy that you don't have to fire 1,000-2,000 rounds of ammunition in a class to learn the basics for self-defense/ combat shooting. Many classes seem to propose that hosing-off a bunch of rounds somehow equates to imparting a fruitful and knowledge based experience.

One thing you will hear from both of these gentleman is that there is no such thing as advanced self-defense 'Training' tactics. It is a grounded mastery of the basics of marksmanship, tactics, awareness, and discipline that will aid you in overcoming an opponent in a firefight. They will also advocate that you train with many others in order to become a more well-rounded student as well.

Lastly, beware of anyone who says their way is the only way or the best way (loose paraphrase of both these men).

Good Luck in your class selection,
SkiDevil

Note: I have no professional affiliation to either of these organizations.