Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 01-07-2010, 7:51 PM

Talking Ccw

What is best to carry? Please share. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2010, 8:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Best for who? Everyone has different requirements. I carry in an IWB holster at 9 o'clock (lefty)

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 01-07-2010, 8:18 PM

Hmmm... I'm trying to get ideas for myself. I want something light and small... I'm thinking sw 442 airweight for my pocket, or ankle... But was trying to get some ideas. U r absolutely right... Everyone is different. Thanks
Old 01-08-2010, 6:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveCookieMonsta View Post
Hmmm... I'm trying to get ideas for myself. I want something light and small... I'm thinking sw 442 airweight for my pocket, or ankle... But was trying to get some ideas. U r absolutely right... Everyone is different. Thanks
My apologies OCM,

I didn't notice that this was in the "Ladies Forum" as I use the "New Posts" button and it just shows me all the new posts not in individual forums.

This is a very specific and pertinent question for female CCWs so forgive my intrusion.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 01-08-2010, 7:37 AM

Whatever you can shoot with.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Calguns Addict

i would highly recommend you rent and shoot a S&W alloy J-frame, or any J-frame, before deciding on it for CCW. while the size is very handy, it is one of the hardest revolvers to learn to shoot well.

if you'd like a gun that size range and like the DA trigger, i can highly recommend the Kahr 9mm family of subcompact pistols. the steel framed models are easier to shoot and have a better reliability record, but the polymer framed one's are lighter. in either case, the trigger pulls are excellent...better than any un-tuned J-frame

if you'd like to stick with a revolver, i would suggest you take a look at the Ruger LCR. it has a better shaped grip frame and better trigger geometry than the J-frame

just to let you know the basis of my recommendation, i've carried a tuned S&W 624 (stainless version of the 442 you mentioned) for years as a BUG and currently carry a Kahr CW9 (economy version of the polymer framed 9mm). i was recently able to handle a LCR at my FFL (first time since the SHOT Show) and was very impressed by the feel
Old 01-08-2010, 6:39 PM

I think the right answer is whatever you shoot well, and will practice with. I have a S&W 340 PD that I carry, and I shoot it well, but I have to admit that I don't practice with it as much as I should because it hurts to shoot- certainly more than my M&P 9mm...

I do know if the time comes where I'd have to defend myself, I don't want to wonder if I'm a good enough shot with that particular gun...
Old 01-08-2010, 8:21 PM
Calguns Addict

3boyzmom - why don't you come join us at a meetup were having at SacValley this month...take a look in the meet up section if you're interested
Old 01-08-2010, 8:28 PM
In Memoriam

learn to shoot a snubby like Jerry:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...k-276392/view/
Old 01-09-2010, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
3boyzmom - why don't you come join us at a meetup were having at SacValley this month...take a look in the meet up section if you're interested
Thanks- I checked it out, but it won't work this time. Maybe next time!!

Paul0660- The guy who taught me to shoot used to travel to competitions/shoot with Jerry, so I was assigned PLENTY of video-watching homework of Jerry's shooting! Awesome videos, great instruction and holy sh** can that guy shoot!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 8:47 AM
Banned

I think we girls are much more limited to what we can carry than the guys. Our clothes don't allow for much, and while people are used to seeing "bulges" on guys, I don't think it's so much for girls - at least nobody's used to seeing any bulges on me LOL! Just think about the jeans most girls wear, and the thinner tops and more revealing stuff - I'm not a slutty dresser, but anything I can carry would have to be really, really small.

Do girls usually carry their guns in their bags? I could bring a gun that way, but I wouldn't feel the most secure having it there. It takes me 5 minutes to find my lipstick in my bag!
Old 01-09-2010, 9:51 AM

9mmepiphany 3boyzmom - thank u both for ur advice... I'm going to head off to the range in a few minutes... And c what they have for rentals... I think they might be a bit limited but it doesn't hurt to try them out first. I've shoot the sw before in both standard and + p rounds which I didn't want to shoot more than the 5 rds. Well if anything at least today I'll get to play with the glock ; ) thanks!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaEllie View Post
I'm not a slutty dresser, but anything I can carry would have to be really, really small.

Do girls usually carry their guns in their bags? I could bring a gun that way, but I wouldn't feel the most secure having it there. It takes me 5 minutes to find my lipstick in my bag!
I have a purse that has a separate compartment for my gun. It's designed that way, made by Galco, and very handy. But it WASN'T cheap!! It holds my gun in the perfect position for me to be able grab it quickly. That said, I would still prefer to carry on my hip, because you KNOW how often you set your purse down in public!! And as quick as I am with the purse, I'm still faster from a holster.

As women wearing a holster is not only complicated by how we dress, but how our bodies are shaped. Because we have hips and a waist, some holsters just don't work all that well- depending on where they sit on your hip and the angle of them, it can tilt the gun in towards your waist and poke you- which also kicks the bottom of the gun out a bit and makes it harder to conceal under clothing. I almost always have to wear a jacket or a vest too- most of the time my shirts are tucked in, so that doesn't work either.

I have hip holsters for both my .357 and my 9mm that work well, but I do have to wear lower-cut pant than normal, otherwise the gun is too high up under my ribs. Of course, I'm also only 5'2"...

I got laughing with my boyfriend because he carries his 340PD in his pocket. He said, "Just get a pocket holster for it." I just had to laugh- when's the last time you saw a woman in pants that could accomodate a gun in her front pocket?! What am I wearing? Camo army pants?!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:27 AM

Forgive my ignorance, ... I'm new to the sport... Tuned vs. Un-tuned, does this mean a lightened tigger job? Or something else?
Old 01-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Tuned vs. Un-tuned, does this mean a lightened tigger job? Or something else?
there are folks who are convinced that a "trigger job" entails just polishing the rebound slide and installing lighter springs (i'm refering to a S&W here), but an "action tune" checks and sets all the tolerances inside the action for proper alignment so everything just glides together.

it's not so much about light as i is about smooth. it's easier to shoot a heavier trigger (within reason) than a lighter, but gritty trigger
Old 01-09-2010, 12:24 PM

Good info! Thnx
Old 01-09-2010, 3:55 PM
Veteran Member

Best to carry or what to carry it in? Or both?

Carry what you shoot the best (accuracy, follow up shots, comfort, ...). Snubnose are great and 99% foolproof and in every flavor and design. Semi auto are, too, especially a quick reload.

CCW means it really needs to be concealed and accessible. I would shy away from the ankle holster as accessibility is somewhat problematic when you need it the most, YMMV (your mileage may vary). Have you considered the 5.11 Holster Shirt? I have this and it works pretty well for carrying it tucked away, under the arm. The shirt is a compression/lyca type, a pocket on either side. The S&W Snubbie will virtually disappear and reappear when needed. The other pocket can hold speed loader strips.

My cousin's wife has one and I'll ask her about her opinions. I'll update when I hear back from her.

OCM, I don't know where you're located but we have Newbie Shoot (no, we don't shoot Newbies!) every Second Saturday of the Month in San Jose (Norcal) ... That's Tonight! We bring and shoot just about everything, except Magnum and High Powered Rifle. If you're nearby us, come visit. Here's a Link.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=154445

"You know the real difference between you and me?"
"Yeah. Denial."

Toys I'm looking for (PPT/used): Ruger P93 (compact), Thompson Contender receiver and barrels

Stuff for sale:
WTS Beretta Tomcat Parts Kit Formica Sample Case
Old 01-09-2010, 4:31 PM

That sound like fun... However a Lil far for me, ... I'm in central valley.
Old 01-09-2010, 5:11 PM
Veteran Member

It's all about the planning! You know where we are now! Every Second Saturday of the Month in San Jose!

"Yeah. Denial."

Toys I'm looking for (PPT/used): Ruger P93 (compact), Thompson Contender receiver and barrels

Stuff for sale:
Old 01-10-2010, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boyzmom View Post
I got laughing with my boyfriend because he carries his 340PD in his pocket. He said, "Just get a pocket holster for it." I just had to laugh- when's the last time you saw a woman in pants that could accomodate a gun in her front pocket?! What am I wearing? Camo army pants?!
Old 01-11-2010, 2:41 PM

So true!!! It really wouldn't fit in my Jean pockets.... It's cold right now so I was thinking of my jacket... But yeah as soon as summertime hits that would look a bit awkward.... Especially since I only wear tshirts long enough to cover my hip at gym and at range. I'm also short on 5'0... Thanks for all the good insight.
Old 01-23-2010, 9:45 PM
Veteran Member

I finally got my cousin's wife to try on my 5.11 Holster Shirt. I wear a Medium and, while she wasn't swimming in it, it was definitely too large for her. 5.11 makes a Small size. According to 5.11's site:

It's best to find a shop that carries this and to try it on. It's a compression style shirt so it should fit like a second skin. Plus, when I wear it in San Francisco (I'm carrying my iPod in the pockets, not a gun), I'm a lot warmer without the extra bulk of a sweatshirt. If you do get one, it's best worn with a button up shirt/blouse in order to access the pocket. A pullover defeats it's purpose of a quicker draw.

"Yeah. Denial."

Stuff for sale:
Old 01-24-2010, 3:32 PM

Thanks!