Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2010, 1:22 PM

Default New to AR's, but built one anyways...

***Updated down below***

I've always been a fan of Ak's and such. But on the 4th of july my brother came out to visit and I needed money, So I sold my SKS and bought a stripped reciever (LAR Grizzly) and used the rest of the money to drink with my brother while he was in town... ok we did other things too, but The drink was the most fun...LOL

Anyways I decided I would start with a budget AR and just buy the parts as I got money... Working with a limited budget I figured it's the best way to start. I can always upgrade when I get a better idea what exactly I want.

After looking at pictures of retro builds and rifles, decided I really like the look of the old XM-177's and colt commandos but I didn't have the money at the time for a retro reciever.
I'm not a big fan of rails and such and really like the look of the old short carbine triangle handguards.

So here's the list of parts I got

-LAR Grizzly stripped reciever
-Double star LPK
-Bullet Button
-Cheap plain 4 position stock (Can't remember the company)
-carbine length triangle handguards
-Bushmaster slip over 5" shorty look flash hider

While looking for a low cost upper half, my brother decided he wanted to sell off his bushmaster M4 profile. He offered me the complete upper half with UTG quad rails, original handguard with rail and vertical grip and the original bushmaster 10/20 mag for $350

Here pictures of the completed rifle

It's a post ban Upper, so it has no bayo lug (not important to me right now) and has a compensator on it. I tried to remove it to fit the slip over hider on, but the dang thing wouldn't move. Guess I have to wait to buy thos barrel grip vise things to get a firm grip and really crank on it.

But because I couldn't get the comp off I wasn't able to remove the front sight and replace the round retainer with the triangle one. I figure the triangle handguard was cheap enough, so I just shaved it a bit to fit in the round retainer for now...

I'm happy with the look so far, but will be happier once I can get the comp off and my flash hider on.

My buddy and I took her out to the range yesterday on our lunch break. Range report below

Last edited by Baron; 04-02-2010 at 11:42 AM..