Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-07-2010, 2:22 PM

Default New to AR's, but built one anyways...

***Updated down below***

I've always been a fan of Ak's and such. But on the 4th of july my brother came out to visit and I needed money, So I sold my SKS and bought a stripped reciever (LAR Grizzly) and used the rest of the money to drink with my brother while he was in town... ok we did other things too, but The drink was the most fun...LOL

Anyways I decided I would start with a budget AR and just buy the parts as I got money... Working with a limited budget I figured it's the best way to start. I can always upgrade when I get a better idea what exactly I want.

After looking at pictures of retro builds and rifles, decided I really like the look of the old XM-177's and colt commandos but I didn't have the money at the time for a retro reciever.
I'm not a big fan of rails and such and really like the look of the old short carbine triangle handguards.

So here's the list of parts I got

-LAR Grizzly stripped reciever
-Double star LPK
-Bullet Button
-Cheap plain 4 position stock (Can't remember the company)
-carbine length triangle handguards
-Bushmaster slip over 5" shorty look flash hider

While looking for a low cost upper half, my brother decided he wanted to sell off his bushmaster M4 profile. He offered me the complete upper half with UTG quad rails, original handguard with rail and vertical grip and the original bushmaster 10/20 mag for $350

Here pictures of the completed rifle

It's a post ban Upper, so it has no bayo lug (not important to me right now) and has a compensator on it. I tried to remove it to fit the slip over hider on, but the dang thing wouldn't move. Guess I have to wait to buy thos barrel grip vise things to get a firm grip and really crank on it.

But because I couldn't get the comp off I wasn't able to remove the front sight and replace the round retainer with the triangle one. I figure the triangle handguard was cheap enough, so I just shaved it a bit to fit in the round retainer for now...

I'm happy with the look so far, but will be happier once I can get the comp off and my flash hider on.

My buddy and I took her out to the range yesterday on our lunch break. Range report below

Last edited by Baron; 04-02-2010 at 12:42 PM..
Old 01-07-2010, 2:38 PM

Default Range Report with pics and Vid

okay so yesterday I was able to get out to the range and test out my new AR at lunch. I used PMC 55 grain .223 brass from Big 5 was on sale.... I'm a Cheap Bas**** if you couldn't tell...LOL... must be why I love AK's

Anyways my AR had a FTE every round. Everything was well lubed and clean, I used the 10/20 bushmaster mag and 10/20 pmags I think... can't remember which ones they were, was a bit ago I bought them...
We had to pull the charging handle after every round to extract the empty shell. she fired every round of, but the bolt did not fully retract, maybe a third of the way, the bolt did hold open when we would extract the last round. I have a regular carbine buffer in it, but the buffer spring is super stiff, So I thought that might be it... But after reading I think I'm gonna buy some 5.56 rounds first and see if it just needs more breaking in (The upper is a 5.56 upper). The upper half has had a 1,000+ rounds through it, but the whole lower half is brand spanking new.

We still had a good time anyways, even if my semi auto AR was essentially a bolt action.... Plus I brought my favorite rifle along as well

Here's some pics

My buddy enjoyed her too

Here's the Video for anyone who wants to watch it....
Not too exciting with a bolt action Ar, but was fun to make...LOL
Enjoy

It was freezing cold up on the rifle range yesterday too, wasn't quite expecting it too be that cold up in them hills, but once we started shooting things warmed up a bit... or we just went numb...LOL

I'll do another range report once I get the problems fixed and shoot some 5.56 out of her

Last edited by Baron; 01-07-2010 at 2:42 PM..
Old 01-07-2010, 2:48 PM
Calguns Addict

That particular hider you have was often used on 14.5" barrels and pinned and welded in place to get them to the legal 16 inches. I can't really tell by looking at your barrel, but it looks to me that is what is going on with your upper.

If I am right, then if you had removed your flash hider you and just screwed on the other one, you would have been commiting a felony the moment you slapped your upper onto your lower. In order for the flash hider to be considered part of the barrel it has to be pinned and welded into place.

I could be wrong. The barrel might not be a 14.5" barrel. It might be a 16 inch barrel and my eyes are playing tricks on me. I am just saying, be careful. There are a lot ways to accidentally get yourself into trouble.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 01-07-2010 at 2:50 PM..
Old 01-07-2010, 2:54 PM

Nah, the compensator that is on the barrel right now is on a 16" m4 profile barrel. the barrel length is legal length without the compensator. The hider I bough is made by Bushmaster to slip over the 16" barrels and give the shorty look.
I'll meassure the barrel again just to be sure though tonight... besides that comp is stuck on there for now though... LOL
Bushmaster does sell another comp like the one that is on mine that has 3 holes along the sides and is longer, mine is the shorter one with only 2 holes

I know what your talking about and originally I was going to buy one of those uppers, but with the offer my brother made me I couldn't pass it up

Yeah I've been very careful with this build... When I hold the barrel up next to my WASR-10's barrel they are both the same length... but I'll messure it just to be safe

Last edited by Baron; 01-07-2010 at 2:59 PM..
Old 01-07-2010, 3:56 PM
Veteran Member

Looks nice! I realy like the old triangle forend, too.

If you pieced it together without trades, what would you guess the total cost would be?
Old 01-07-2010, 6:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Where did you get the triangular forend and how much do they weigh? I wonder if its the same weight as an MOE handguard? IThats a nice handly looking rifle. I love it! You just gotta work out the bugs.
Old 01-07-2010, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killshot44 View Post
Looks nice! I realy like the old triangle forend, too.

If you pieced it together without trades, what would you guess the total cost would be?
Thanks man, I think the completed lower and with stock, handguards, and flash hider, plus DROS and shipping for everything was about $600 and the complete upper was $350... I robably could shave off $60 to $80 if I sold off the stuff I'm not using right now.... But I figure I's save it for my next build

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermario View Post
Where did you get the triangular forend and how much do they weigh? I wonder if its the same weight as an MOE handguard? IThats a nice handly looking rifle. I love it! You just gotta work out the bugs.
I bought my triangle handguards from PKfirarms
http://www.pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/125/8
They shipped really fast

I actually really like the feel of them,nice and smooth. They are super light weight as well

Old 01-07-2010, 6:50 PM

It's hard to diagnose without more information.

You might consider an upgraded extractor spring kit.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-E...%20upgrade.htm

Last edited by RMTactical; 01-07-2010 at 6:58 PM..
Old 01-07-2010, 6:53 PM
CGSSA Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Looks like your gas is leaking somewhere. Check you gas block, the gas key on your bolt carrier, and the gas rings on your bolt. If there is any gas escaping anywhere, it will cause the issue you are having. I have had this problem before due to loose gas keys. Locktide or steaking it will do the trick.

Are you a AR-Noob? Have a question regarding AR-patterned rifles but are too embarrassed to ask or somehow missed the "search" feature? Shoot me a PM instead of creating a new thread! i'll try to answer your questions or lead you in the right direction!
<inspired by the adopt a noob thread>
Old 01-07-2010, 7:15 PM
Veteran Member

Do you have any pictures of the BCG?
Old 01-07-2010, 8:54 PM
Banned

Thats pretty good for a first build , you should consider an A2 buttstock when you get a chance for the full retro look
Old 01-07-2010, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Caketown View Post
Thats pretty good for a first build , you should consider an A2 buttstock when you get a chance for the full retro look
A2 isn't retro. He has a good stock for the retro XM177 look.
Old 01-07-2010, 9:04 PM

Just accept the black rifle disease. Let it soak into every fabric of your being. Embrace it. It is a great obsession, aside from the being broke part.
Old 01-07-2010, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
...Check you gas block, the gas key on your bolt carrier, and the gas rings on your bolt. .... I have had this problem before due to loose gas keys.....
Thanks I'll check those, but I'm pretty sure the gas key is tight. I couldn't move the 2 screws at all either way

I'm pretty sure the extractor is fine too. The shells popped out fine when we pulled the charging handle all the way back. and the bolt slid forward stripping the next round out of the magazine fine. but after we pulled the trigger and the round went of the bolt carrier only slid about a third of the way back. then we would have to grap the charging handle and pull it the rest of the way and the empty case would shoot out like normal.
I did check to see if the bolt would hold open af=ter the last round and i did, but we had to pull the charging handle and then the bolt would lock open...

I'll check the gas tube and stuff though just to be sure. The only reason I first thought maybe the buffer spring was because it was super stiff at first, but after the first 30 rounds it seems to be easier pulling the charging handle back. But the bolt still always only retracted about a 3rd the way.
I still want to buy a case of 5.56 and test with that though, seems how it is a 5.56 upper.

Thanks for the complements though.
I plan to eventually get a slab side lower and really go for the retro look.
For now I like the lok of my AR. Out of all the AR's I've seen at the range I've never seen a carbine length triangle handguard... let alone a full length A1 style... Lots of rails though...LOL.. I guess I just like having something slightly different then the other kids

Old 01-07-2010, 9:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTactical View Post
my bad i was thinking about the SP1
Old 01-07-2010, 10:17 PM

Nice video. Cool to see other people with AKs there.

Last time I went to that range, there was snow on the nearby hills. It can get a bit cold there.
Old 01-08-2010, 8:28 AM

Thanks,
LOL yeah I really like Livermore. It's a nice friendly range. I also like the 25-100 yard setup. The RO's are cool up on the rifle pistol range too. Good guys to joke around with.

It was crazy cold on wednesday... The wind was blowing straight into and through us. But was still fun... I did feel like jogging out to and back from the 100 yard line just to warm up though LOL

Old 01-08-2010, 9:26 AM
Veteran Member

Nice build Baron, ready to go shoot some Zombies with that?
Old 01-08-2010, 9:35 AM

LOL gotta get the bugs fixed first... might get overwelmed by the zombie horde with it being only bolt action right now...LO

Old 01-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTactical View Post
Hey, I know you. Didn't know you were a member here. Love the slings, as do my customers. Keep up the good work.

As for the retro A2...I was thinking the same thing. But was not going to say so. I just figured he got a good deal on an A2 upper and was making the best of it. I don't expect a non-AR guy to be as anal about his build as us fanatics. All that matters is that he loves it. There are plenty of sudo-retro rifles out there, so it's only gonna stand out to AR nuts like us. 99.9% of people will never notice the difference.

Besides, retro A1 uppers are not as easy to find as an A2 upper. To get mine exactly the way I want it, I have to build it compeltely from parts.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 01-08-2010 at 12:30 PM..
Old 01-08-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
Hey, I know you. Didn't know you were a member here. Love the slings, as do my customers. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2010, 4:03 PM

see and neither one of you wouldn't have even known it had it not been for my thread... ahh... bringing supplier and retailer together... LOL

I was going for a XM-607 and a XM-608 type look
Kinda like combining the two seems I couldn't find the retractable A1 short stock anywhere...
But I could find the short handguards. I just gave it a modern feel with the updated lower and carry handle top... Or that's what I tell myself... LOL

Last edited by Baron; 04-02-2010 at 3:46 PM..
Old 04-02-2010, 12:38 PM

Default **UPDATE**

OK... well I was able to find out what the problem was before
Loose gas key... I locked her down and she functions perfectly.

I was also able to remove the old Flash hider and perma attach the new one to give it that 607ish look. All that was done with the lower removed and away from the work site (Neighbors house) of course. Got some pics of the dremel cutting wheel throwing sparks too... That was a fun night. The flash hider was blind pinned as well to meet FED regulations... And yes it is a 14.5" barrel, good eye, and good thing I wasn't ever able to just unscrew the old one... That could have been bad

Here's the video of the last range trip... for those of you who hate music over shooting video's I cut the music out during the shooting... So you could hear the other sweet music...LOL

I used the camera angle so that I could see what I'm doing wrong
First thing I saw was I need to shoulder the stock up higher... I'm used to shotguns and my featureless AK..
Second and most important is My breathing... watching the video the muzzle never stopped moving. I tend to get excited for some reason when I start shooting, guess I need to work on that as well...LOL

Of course I could have used the table and bench rest, but I like to shoot standing. At livermore it's hard to stand and shoot at the 100 yard line so I had to sit and do it.
I think I'm gonna get a 2 point sling as well. I really like using one on my AK and it seems to help

Any other tips?

Last edited by Baron; 04-02-2010 at 12:41 PM..
Old 04-02-2010, 12:57 PM

Nice video. Cool rifle to, I like the retro look.
Old 04-02-2010, 1:34 PM

thanks, yeah I'm not big on rails... altough when my brother sold me his upper he also gave me a quad rail and vertical grip... Who knows, maybe I'll add it to my next build...

Old 04-02-2010, 3:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
see and neither one of you wouldn't have even known it had it not been for my thread... ahh... bringing supplier and retailer together... LOL
He really does make excellent slings if you find yourself in need. Pretty much all I use, and I sell a lot of different brand slings and can pick what I like best from them all.

Glad you got the issues you were having sorted out. This forum usually helps me figure out whats wrong with my builds when something is hinky pretty darn quickly.

Have you completely got the AR bug now? Any future AR plans brewing in the back of your mind?

As promised here is a link to a picture of my "Retro" AR Pistol. Its as close to the rifle I carried in the USAF as legally possible here in CA. You can't see it from the picture, but the A1 upper is a slickside. Meaning no forward or assist or brass deflector, which is harder to find than those with them. My GAU-5/A looked pretty much just like this, only with the same plastic end stock your rifle has - and it was full auto (not burst). I'll make it just a link as not to hijack your thread, as your rifle is very cool and I do not want to distract from it. http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...y/IMG_0079.jpg

Last edited by tacticalcity; 04-02-2010 at 3:16 PM..
Old 04-02-2010, 3:43 PM

Awesome looking man, I like it alot. I was looking at building a slick side too, but found out about a local store (J&R) having a good price on the LAR Grizzly lower.

I have two rifles in 7.62x39, so I'd like to have another 2 rifles in 5.56
I do plan to build at least one other AR... Thinking flat top so it'll be easier to put an optic of some sort on top. I think I want to use the rifle length Triangle handguards (that way they'll match)... But I've been debating on going with a full 20" barrel, or a dissipator 16" ... then I'd like to use a flash hider like what I have with either a slip over on the 20" or a regular long one on the dissy barrel....

Thanks for the compliment
Retro is where it's at for me... even if mine is only slighty retro