Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 08-17-2006, 8:27 PM

Default cheytac .408 cal

Anybody have any experince with the Cheytac rifle M-310r or the M-200 Civ? I have looked all over the web, but have found little information on this company, ammo and rifles. Looking for prices, dealers and shooting data.
Old 08-17-2006, 9:14 PM

EDM ARMS, right here in SoCal.

http://www.edmarms.com/products/m408.htm

If your looking to buy let me know and I'll put you in contact with Tom Miller, he's their FFL dealer. He will be at the Costa Mesa gun show this weekend.
Old 08-17-2006, 9:24 PM

Yeah the rifle's MSRP is only about $11,000...
Old 08-17-2006, 9:30 PM

Well don't quote me but I've heard the EDM .408's price was lowered. I would have to ask to be 100% sure.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:01 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rck'n'ROll
Anybody have any experince with the Cheytac rifle M-310r or the M-200 Civ? I have looked all over the web, but have found little information on this company, ammo and rifles. Looking for prices, dealers and shooting data.

Well here is the data from the "horse's mouth"...you may just end up looking for another caliber once you read it though.

http://www.snipingoperationsexecutive.org/V408page.html

http://www.snipingoperationsexecutiv...taryPage3.html
"The cat is out of the bag. We cannot buy back all of the series clones. We do not want to allow registration, so I think we're stuck with SB 23 being the vehicle to regulate them" ---- Dep. Attorney General A. Merrilees writes to Brady Center on May 15, 2006 @ 11:22 am
Old 08-17-2006, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Shooter
Well don't quote me but I've heard the EDM .408's price was lowered. I would have to ask to be 100% sure.
From EDM Arms

http://www.edmarms.com/news.htm

Quote:
July 24, 2006 Redlands, CA

.408CT Windrunner Clearance Sale.

For a limited time only! .408 Cal. Windrunner Special Clearance Sale (Ordered rifles from Chey-Tac that were not picked up); Complete rifle, $5,000 (reg. price $7,500). Several available; 6 weeks delivery.

Hurry, these won't last long; First come, first served!

Call EDM ARMS (909)798-2770.
Wonder why Chey-Tac didn't pick them up...
"The cat is out of the bag. We cannot buy back all of the series clones. We do not want to allow registration, so I think we're stuck with SB 23 being the vehicle to regulate them" ---- Dep. Attorney General A. Merrilees writes to Brady Center on May 15, 2006 @ 11:22 am
Old 08-18-2006, 1:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Personally, if I were to get one it would be from:http://www.ferret50.com/

The round is sound,. but I am not sure about how long it is going to last.
Old 08-18-2006, 1:10 AM

A friend of mine bought the EDM 408 rifle. He paid full price based on the marketing.

It's a neat looking rifle, but there were some minor problems with it, and even after it was repaired, we've never been able to get the kind of accuracy out of it that he expected. That's with match ammo, but not reloads.

I hate to post something negative about my experience with a single gun so take it for what it is worth if you are considering buying from them. I'm sure they make lots of excellent guns, so you might have a different experience.

Personally, I won't buy a high priced bolt gun unless it is guaranteed to shoot under .5 moa and comes with a target to prove it.
Old 08-18-2006, 1:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsreeftank
A friend of mine bought the EDM 408 rifle. He paid full price based on the marketing.

It's a neat looking rifle, but there were some minor problems with it, and even after it was repaired, we've never been able to get the kind of accuracy out of it that he expected. That's with match ammo, but not reloads.

I hate to post something negative about my experience with a single gun so take it for what it is worth if you are considering buying from them. I'm sure they make lots of excellent guns, so you might have a different experience.

Personally, I won't buy a high priced bolt gun unless it is guaranteed to shoot under .5 moa and comes with a target to prove it.
You might have to wait a while for this one,. but it will do it:
http://www.ferret50.com/

It is an awasome round. but I don't think it will become mainstream.
Old 08-18-2006, 6:35 AM

If you read the bit from SOE you'll see the problems with the .408 CT but on the other hand they were also a BIG supporter of the .408 CT when it was first developed.

Alot of the problems were behind the sceens, the designers were expecting to make millions off the .408 CT but it still hasn't happened. There were threats of laws suits and counter suits that also didn't help the .408 CT. In the end I think it will go down in history as the cartridge with potential that never made it. All this due to greed and the fact that the designers don't want to release any info.

Having shot one and seen one shoot out to 2000 yards it really has potential. If you buy one, stock up on all the brass that you can get. That way you'll have a supply if it doesn't make the long haul.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:02 AM

Default Trigger for Sniping Operations Executive here

Hi guys,

Didn't even know this board existed. I was checking my webtracker services for my website, www.snipingoperationsexecutive.org and was taken to this board.

I was one of the original founders of CheyTac in 2001 and was a proponent of the rifle. With exceptions to some of the management of the company, the .408 CT is a great cartridge, the 375/408 is better with a supersonic range 700+ yards greater. I didn't develop the 375/408, but i'm pushing it for a long range sniping cartridge, NOT at the military, unless they come asking about it.

SOE does training, extreme range shooting training. We use the CheyTac ABC computer as the support data platform for the training that we do. I helped design and develop that program, both the military and civilian versions. It IS the most accurate ballistic platform available. The .408 lost range and capability when cheytac lost control or didn't care about quality control of projectiles, brass and the gun barrel interface. Lawton Barrels in Dillon Montana makes their barrels, and they are spectacular. I use his barrels and recievers in the 375/408 guns.

Anyway, thanks for having me at this board. Any questions, please fire away.

Trigger

http://www.snipingoperationsexecutive.org/
Old 08-18-2006, 1:13 PM

Dean,
Good to see you drop by the site, don't take my statements wrong, I would like to own an EDM .408 CT some day. I just feel that all the behind the sceens stuff that went on is what has hurt the .408 CT.

Knowing a few people that know Bill and having met him myself, he's a stand up guy that makes a great rifle. Now that the price has come down on the .408 CT a little, hopefully people will take a longer look at them. When they hear/see the amount of work and craftmanship that goes into building them they are amazed.

Here's a very neat .408 CT.
Old 08-18-2006, 1:21 PM
Super Moderator

I'd always thought the 408 looked like a neat "can't have 50BMG" cartridge, but now Barrett seems to be pushing their... 416, was it?

What are your views on the 408 Cheytac vs Barrett's new caliber? Seems they're more or less vying for the same field...
Old 08-18-2006, 1:29 PM

Here's the question(s) you should ask yourself about the .416 Barrett.

Where do I get ammo?
If I reload, where do I get projo's?
If I reload, where do I get brass?
Reloading info of any kind?

The .50 BMG is overbore to begin with, now wildcat it down to .416 and think about how long those barrels are going to last? I still can't figure out why Barrett didn't want to go with the .50 DTC. Other then to be the only source for .416 components means more money for them. If this cartridge doesn't get off the ground guess what? You get to eat it unless you move out of Kali and have it rebarreled for .50 BMG.
Old 08-18-2006, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Here's the question(s) you should ask yourself about the .416 Barrett.

Where do I get ammo?
If I reload, where do I get projo's?
If I reload, where do I get brass?
Reloading info of any kind?

Actually the guns are not even available yet (for delivery) since the components are not on the market yet. They say any day now for delivery. That was 2 weeks ago.

Barrett has said that they will have a supplier of new brass as well as one for their new bullet. The powder is already out on the market. They do not plan on making any more bullet types available, since there is a large number of .416 bullets on the market from a number of manufactures (unlike the .408) for plinking, hunting, ect. Now I'm not pushing the round one way or the other, just stating what I have been told by Barrett staff face to face.

Last edited by Hunter; 08-18-2006 at 7:17 PM..
Old 08-18-2006, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerfifty
Hi guys,

Didn't even know this board existed. I was checking my webtracker services for my website, www.snipingoperationsexecutive.org and was taken to this board. ......
Good to have you Dean, it was my linking to your site that got you here.
Old 08-18-2006, 7:08 PM

Hunter,
Yeah, that's the other problem, no rifles yet.

I'm wondering how .416 bullets that are on the market now will hold up. I'm sure solids would be fine but they wear barrels even faster.
Old 08-18-2006, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Hunter,
Yeah, that's the other problem, no rifles yet.

I'm wondering how .416 bullets that are on the market now will hold up. I'm sure solids would be fine but they wear barrels even faster.

The barrett round is a solid from my understanding also. Just like the Barnes.