Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 12-03-2009, 8:34 AM

Default Wife wants a handgun

My wife would like a small caliber, small, comfortable, affordable hand gun.

Any recommendations?

"Recoil."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I haven't slept since I woke up and found out my whole life was a lie!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You never know where you stand until you know that you won't run away.
Old 12-03-2009, 8:44 AM

We need more details. Purpose of firearm? What does small caliber mean? I will hedge my bets and say get a full size metal frame used 9 mm. Felt recoil will be minimized due to weight, used will get you a good price, the caliber suffices for a number of rolls.

Its best if you can go to a range and have her try it out.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff in hid Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

"Taking a rifle to a gunfight is the equivalent of taking a chainsaw to a knife fight." Lt. Col. Grossman in On Combat (Sec 2, Ch 1)
Old 12-03-2009, 9:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

plinker? walther p22 or sig mosquito.
Old 12-03-2009, 9:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozumasbullitt View Post
plinker? walther p22 or sig mosquito.
These are two of the last guns I'd ever recommend as first guns. I do like the idea of a .22lr but, I'd suggest a Ruger or Browning. Every PLASTIC (with the exception of the 22/45) .22lr (P22, Mosquito, S&W22, Berretta, etc.) tends to have problems. I'm not talking about the once a year shooter that has put 1000 rounds through his gun. I'm speaking from my experience working at a gunshop/range. Our .22lr rentals would always take a crap except for the Rugers. We did not have a Buckmark. Also, those regular customers who actually shot their guns, would have problems with them after less than a year. I know one guy who like his mosquitos but had to replace them every 6 months to a year because he wore them out that quickly. There are other .22lr handguns that I'd recommend like, most decent revolvers, all High Standards and S&W41s.

Your wife needs to realize that the smaller the gun, the more preceived recoil she will feel. She should really be looking at bigger, heavier guns in smaller calibers instead of small lite guns.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:01 AM

The purpose of teh gun is two fold, first she is jealous of all the fun I and my friends are having down at the range, even though she has joined us, she feels like she is in a 'boys club shooting boys guns' and would like one of her own to bring down and join us, and second for hd protection.

I say small caliber as she is pretty frail and has joint problems in her hands/fingers/wrists where she experiences a lot of pain when gripping something. If you think that a regualr sized frame with a small caliber will be suffieicent, we can try that. I though maybe something smaller would fit her hand better.

I remember seeing a small Beretta for sale here not long ago that she fell in love with. It was black and had beautiful black wood inlay that she wanted sooo bad but someone else beat us to it. I think it was a .25? I can't find the thread now.

Once we get some good recommendatiuons from you guys here, I want to take her to a range where she can rent some different models and try them on. The advice I get here is ALWAYS better than I get anywhere else, so I will wait to hear from y'all on what you think.

Thanks!

"Recoil."
Old 12-03-2009, 11:34 AM

have her try shooting a 9mm. my gf and her sister both shoots xd 40's with no problem.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:42 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

She may even like the .38 or .32.

But as mentioned, the shorter the barrel, the more she's going to be dealing with the recoil. That's why I prefer the standard 1911 frame (5" barrel) -- even with the .38 and .45.

Maybe a .22 revolver?

Go window shopping
Old 12-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Calguns Addict

beretta tomcat in 32 or 380 is perfect IMHO.

can also add a crimson trace laser grip which works VERY WELL with these guns!!!

this is what i plan on getting my wife. She's also a small frame woman with small hands that are sensitive to recoil. I think she'll enjoy this and get her confidence up so that she can move on to bigger guns too.

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 12-03-2009, 12:52 PM

IrishPirate, that is the one I was looking for in another thread, thanks! My wife saw this and said it was the sexiest thing she had ever seen.. http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/...ETTA%20TOMCAT/

Do you know where I can find a deal on one of these?

Is there any real difference between those two calibers?

"Recoil."

Last edited by HalveNaught; 12-03-2009 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: Forgot to ask-avoid double posts
Old 12-03-2009, 3:42 PM

+1 on the Ruger MK II and Browning Buckmark for accuracy and reliability. They are both full sized pistols with good triggers and quality sights but may not be the best choice for HD. I'd avoid any compact auto in .25 or .32 and go with a 4" K-frame revolver in 38/357.
Old 12-03-2009, 9:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It sounds like she needs two different guns. She will enjoy shooting a .22lr and can shoot it all day for $20 in ammo. She should have a separate HD gun. I'd suggest nothing less than a .380 but, I really like the idea of a DA .38/.357.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 12-04-2009, 3:07 PM

Well good news! I did some digging and found the Tomcat that was for sale and I was wrong, it had NOT sold, well that was up until a few hours ago.

I got her the .32 Beretta Tomcat that she thinks is "sooo sexy". Thank you all for your help in this matter, we appreciate it!

We chose to go with the smaller 32 since the HD is not really the main concern, more a by product of having it. Really, she wanted a good looking gun that she would feel very comfortable handling in her delicate hands, I think we nailed it!

And hey, isn't any caliber a HD weapon, I mean c'mon, who wants to get shot with anything? Reminds me of the scene in the Gambler when he gets caught cheating at cards and when the thugs threaten him he stands up and pulls a little Derringer out of his boot.

All the thugs laugh and point and say, "You only got one bullet!"
The Gambler's response, "Which one of you wants to die?!"

"Recoil."