Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Liberty Optics-REMOVED-
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Liberty Optics-REMOVED- Hosted by Scott Berish, Owner of Liberty Optics

Old 11-21-2009, 11:12 AM

Default Recommendations for a Spotting Scope?

Hello Scott,

I'll be in the market soon for a new spotting scope. I purchased an inexpensive spotter in the past and it was worthless. Time to anti-up for a spotter that will be the last I ever need to buy, but still stay in my affordable price range (approximately $700-$800 not including tripod). The spotter will mostly be used at the range during daylight for long range precision shooting, however should still be reasonably light and portable. I want something that will enable me to clearly ID hits with a 308 on paper out to several hundred yards. BTW I wear glasses. Also would appreciate recommendations for a good tripod-stable but that folds up into a compact package.

Thanks!

Last edited by Country Boy; 11-23-2009 at 7:29 PM..
Old 11-27-2009, 9:56 AM

CB,

A spotter is one piece of equipment I do not believe in scrimping on; it's purpose is very specialized....to make out fine details at long range with the best clarity, color, contrast and resolution. You CAN get away with subpar glass in a riflescope and still be an effective shooter, but cheap spotters are utterly useless, IMO.

I think your search begins with Kowa. They offer the absolute best quality spotters at the best value. I use a TSN-603 (60mm Prominar angled) with 20-60x eyepiece. With a 25x long eye relief eyepiece for eyeglass wearers, the total price tag is $799. Prominar is the ED glass model.

Another option is the 82SV, with 25x LER eyepiece the price is $799 also. Not ED glass, but a big and bright 82mm objective lens.

Hits on paper to several hundred yards will be no problem with high contrasr media (white target or shoot-n-c), but for spotting holes in a black bullseye keep your expectations in check.

As for tripods, any quality shooting stand from Vortex, Lupy, or private labels will work for range/table top use. Look at no more than $50 to get what you need.

Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Scott
Scott@LibertyOptics.com
406-827-6543
Scott's cell number: 406-291-8250
Old 11-27-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Boy View Post
Hello Scott,

I'll be in the market soon for a new spotting scope. I purchased an inexpensive spotter in the past and it was worthless. Time to anti-up for a spotter that will be the last I ever need to buy, but still stay in my affordable price range (approximately $700-$800 not including tripod). The spotter will mostly be used at the range during daylight for long range precision shooting, however should still be reasonably light and portable. I want something that will enable me to clearly ID hits with a 308 on paper out to several hundred yards. BTW I wear glasses. Also would appreciate recommendations for a good tripod-stable but that folds up into a compact package.

Thanks!
You also might take a look at the Konus series. I had a Konuspot-100 (I wouldn't recommend as it's to bulky) I used for 3 years. At local matches I could easily resolve .223 & .308 holes @ 200 yds. At 300 yds unless the lighting was perfect you barely see the 223's and the .308's only slightly better. Anything beyond that (to 1000k yds) I was depending on seeing the spotter
I'm starting to see a lot more of the Konuspot-80's on the line at across the course and belly matches.

-Duct tape is like The Force. It has a dark side. It has a light side.
Used correctly, it holds the universe together. Used
incorrectly, it sticks your cat to the wall. -
Old 11-27-2009, 2:18 PM

Thanks Scott and everyone else who posted replies.
Old 11-27-2009, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJim View Post
You also might take a look at the Konus series. I had a Konuspot-100 (I wouldn't recommend as it's to bulky) I used for 3 years. At local matches I could easily resolve .223 & .308 holes @ 200 yds. At 300 yds unless the lighting was perfect you barely see the 223's and the .308's only slightly better. Anything beyond that (to 1000k yds) I was depending on seeing the spotter
I'm starting to see a lot more of the Konuspot-80's on the line at across the course and belly matches.
You are proving my point. Not being able to easily see .308 bullet holes at 300 yards with a 100mm objective is a complete waste of money.

Konus spotters are Chinese-made crap that will not get the job done!
Scott@LibertyOptics.com
406-827-6543
Scott's cell number: 406-291-8250
Old 11-29-2009, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJim View Post
Sounds like a recommendation on what not to take a look at (ie, Konus)