Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-01-2009, 9:23 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

Talking how to make a glock better...maybe

I have been out to SSA for six meets and wanted to trick out my glock 17 a bit. I had a pistol shooting mentor, Aaron - RIP buddy...who set up his glock in the exact manner. His times were 1/2 of mine. I am not saying I will catch him, but we talked at length about each mod and how it would help in shooting the glock at the SSA meets.

I installed a Burris Fast Fire on my Glock 17. The Glock is also fitted with a Glockworx drop in trigger (2.2 pounds - way short pretravel, and a much crisper break), and wrap around slip on Hogue grips which provide a more solid feel to the grip and absorb recoil IMHO.

The trigger is really a huge improvement to the factory trigger, and its also reliable. No malfunctions in over 1000 rounds to date.

The Burris allows me to do something I canít usually doÖsee the target clearly. With iron sights you must focus on the front site and all targets will be a bit blurry, and above age 50 without glasses, itís even worse.

With the Burris I can wear my distance glasses (I am near sighted just slightly), see the red dot crisp and clear, and also see the target 25 yards away perfectly. That does wonders for multiple target acquisition!!

I put the pistol in a pistol rest after initial sight in and was able to place 10 shots within a 1Ē circle repeatedly at 15 yards, at 25 yards it was more like 2 inches. But the real surprise was I could see the 1" bullseye perfectly in the distance.

The automatic brightness control seemed to work well, as in, I didnít think about it because it was doing its job.

Target acquisition was similar to iron sights for quick pick up, but the Burris is definitely faster for more detailed accurate shooting out at 15 to 25 yards.

I put 200 rounds down the barrel after sighting the gun in and the zero stayed dead on.

Iíve see enough pistol meets to appreciate how much faster red dot sights are than iron sights. I canít wait to see how this sight will affect my times at SSA.

I have to say I like the Burris Fast fire operation from what I have seen. I think itís a great way to tighten up your groups, especially for near sighted shooters. I think Glock shooters will like the glockworks trigger especially due to its short pre-travel. Its a chore to hold on target during the entire pre travel on a stock glock, if you don't beleive me mount a laser on the front and give the trigger a pull..you'll be humbled by what you see.

Last edited by bubbapug1; 11-08-2009 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: added a few pics
Old 11-01-2009, 9:36 PM
Veteran Member

Nice. Do you have a pic with the Burris set up?
I'll have to take a look into that Glockworx trigger.
Old 11-01-2009, 9:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSniper View Post
Nice. Do you have a pic with the Burris set up?
I'll have to take a look into that Glockworx trigger.
With the cost of burris fastfire and the glockworx trigger you can buy another gun.
That sounds like a pretty pimped out gun though.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 11-01-2009, 9:48 PM

grip reduction
Old 11-01-2009, 9:49 PM
Veteran Member

I just looked at Glockworx's site. They got some wild looking Glocks.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

The evolution. I am not trying to pimp it out per se, I am trying to make it easier for me to shoot better, which I have done. I shoot the 17 better than my berettas, rugers, smith and wessons, and my other glocks.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

Its easy to make a glock better. buy a trash can, dump it, buy a Sig and a sharpie, and write on the frame "Glock"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I have yet to meet a bad calgunner. Gun people for the most part are the better side of society. That is my opinion.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Nice n00bert

-Gio
Old 11-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobert View Post
Its easy to make a glock better. buy a trash can, dump it, buy a Sig and a sharpie, and write on the frame "Glock"
great tact, you must be a popular guy at work....and life.

Why don't you start your own thread and stop crapping on this one??

Last edited by bubbapug1; 11-01-2009 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-01-2009, 10:32 PM

Glock brand extended mag release and slide catch. DONE.

These 2 mods that cost about 20 bucks and took 10 minutes to put in made all the difference in the world. Standard Glock sights are good enough for me.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
The evolution. I am not trying to pimp it out per se, I am trying to make it easier for me to shoot better, which I have done. I shoot the 17 better than my berettas, rugers, smith and wessons, and my other glocks.

Thanks! That looks good. I like that setup. It's un-obtrusive.

A friend of mine has a Sig 229, and shot 6"-8" groups at 7 yards - yeah, he's that bad. He put on a Sig red dot with this MASSIVE frame. OMG it was freakishly huge and that red dot was monstrous. It looked so top heavy and it was. Something like this:

But afterwards, he started shooting 3" groups at slow fire. A vast improvement for him.

I'm not knocking Sig, just my friend! I have a Sig, too.

I like that Burris, it's tiny and I bet your field of view isn't blocked by the frame of the optics. Can you post a pic from the shooter POV?

Last edited by RogueSniper; 11-01-2009 at 10:45 PM..
Old 11-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

I probably can but until I do I will say its almost an invisible frame your looking at...negligible in my opinion. I noticed that when doing some dry fire after the range tonight.

The flashlight also is nice...and a steal for $25.00 at the last gun show in OC...it also has lasted 1000 rounds of fire, 120 of it while on to see if it woudl handle the recoil...someone is making a LOT of money on flashlights out there......
Old 11-03-2009, 7:05 PM
Veteran Member

I just got my xd back last week. I had the gunsmith do a trigger job, extended mag release, bomar cut sights (adjustable), and a barsto 9mm match custom fit conversion barrel to fit the 40 cal xd service.

I wanted to come out and shoot sunday, but I decided to skip it. I broke my leg 3 or 4 weeks ago and now am on crutches. I would have had to shoot sitting on a chair and would have had to rely on a shooting partner to carry my stuff and set steel. I can't wait to try out my gun. My dad also got his 1911 45 back from getting a new barrel and my grandfather just dropped off two of his 1911 45's for some work. One day maybe we will all make it out there.

How was the competition? Was Ron out there for the last two shoots? Maybe Rose and Mike are filling in. Good luck with your newly modified gun.

Chris Thorn
Old 11-03-2009, 8:12 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

I haven't been out since June due to fishing season, but I intend to hit it ASAP. I know its going to help my times. I look forward to seeing you again out there.

Maybe we can switch guns for a stage.
Old 11-03-2009, 9:58 PM

How do you make a glock better? Sell it and buy an high end 1911!!! HA HA HA!!! Kidding, I love my G30, it's sitting right next to me right now. Cool pistola bud!

George Washington didn't use the 1st amendment to defeat the British...he shot them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

bubba, I would love to compare guns and switch for a stage. Now that I have had more practice under my belt it would be cool to try out a glock again. Also I thought about using optics, but decided to go iron for now. I haven't shot more than a couple rounds through a pistol with glass on it. They have a nice looking mount, that would attach to my frame and sit just above the iron, that hit the market recently.

If you see me out there, stop by and say hi. I suck at names, and don't always remember faces. What name do you go by? I think we shot together with cjbrian before. I would probably remember you after you introduced yourself again. I wish I was better with names, I like meet others in this sport.

Chris

I usually wear a gray hat with an XD logo on it in black and I normally drive a white 88 k5 blazer with a 6" lift and 35" tires.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:01 PM

I like the space-gun look. Great thread!
I owned a G22, that was way fun.
Old 11-04-2009, 9:50 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGT80 View Post
bubba, I would love to compare guns and switch for a stage.

I usually wear a gray hat with an XD logo on it in black and I normally drive a white 88 k5 blazer with a 6" lift and 35" tires.
I am sure I WON'T miss the tires!!!
Old 11-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
how does one holster that?
Old 11-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Calguns Addict

lol.

I shoot <4 inch off hand groups at 25 yards with my Glocks, factory, no mods, basic sights.

Real junk, I know...
Old 11-05-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
With the cost of burris fastfire and the glockworx trigger you can buy another gun.
That sounds like a pretty pimped out gun though.
isn't that like saying - for the price of my scope and timney trigger i could've built another rifle? sure that's true but's not about the cost of the upgrades it's about making your rig run isn't it?

+1 on the glockworx trigger too!
Old 11-05-2009, 12:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
how does one holster that?
Dump bag
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

bwahahaha!
Old 11-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Calguns Addict

You can always tell the guys that only shoot their handguns on a typical California firing range (bench only at 25 yards and have plenty of time to cock the hammer and monkey around) and never shoot from a holster or train in real life conditions. They L-O-V-E their overpriced politically correct DA/SA handguns like Sigs and Berettas that not only have a very complicated trigger to master, but cannot be carried cocked and locked...and they hate the guns like Glocks that have triggers that are easy to master, or H&K v1s and 1911s that can at least be carried cocked and locked.

If these knuckleheads ever did a side by side comparison in a true to life scenario they would quickly change their minds. I did. I used to be a big time Glock hater (because they are ugly). They I took a Defensive Handgun Course with my pretty Beretta 96FS and got spanked by the Glock and 1911 guys. Switched to a Glock and it was like night and day. Suddenly I was a bad a__!

If you want a gun that will keep your rear alive, buy a Glock. If you want something to look pretty sitting in your safe...buy something else.

As for modifications, thus far mine have been pretty simple. I added a Glock Factory Made Extended Slide Release, that I wish as a tad bit longer but does help, and a Vickers Extended Magazine Release that I am not sure does much for me. I also added a Wilson Glock Buffer that is supposed to extend the life of the firearm. As a parts dealer I get these parts dirt, dirt cheap…so it was no big deal to try them out. I only spent just over $20. So even if they are mostly fluff, which so far the Extended Slide Release is not, it is not a big waste of money for me.

The trigger does sound interesting. I know it would speed me up considerably to drop to a 2lbs trigger. But since my finger is the safety I would be a little worried about safety issues. I work from the holster and not from the bench. Still, it is seriously tempting. Especially since the standard base model trigger they have is only $129.99. I don’t leave for Front Sight until January 15th, so I have some time to decide if I want to do it and see how much of difference it makes for me. I want that Distinguished Graduate Certificate for my resume (not likely to happen as that level of shooting takes many years to achieve).

Last edited by tacticalcity; 11-05-2009 at 12:08 PM..
Old 11-05-2009, 2:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
You can always tell the guys that only shoot their handguns on a typical California firing range (bench only at 25 yards and have plenty of time to cock the hammer and monkey around) and never shoot from a holster or train in real life conditions.
I like my Glocks as much as the next guy.

But just to be fair, not many ranges allowed holsters or drawing.
Old 11-05-2009, 6:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I used to be a big time Glock hater (because they are ugly). They I took a Defensive Handgun Course with my pretty Beretta 96FS and got spanked by the Glock and 1911 guys. Switched to a Glock and it was like night and day. Suddenly I was a bad a__!
Pretty much the same story here. I used to have a Glock because it was the cheapest 9mm of decent quality. Then I started "upgrading" getting S&Ws, then Sigs, heading towards a 1911 race gun.

And then I took a few courses, and I am back to Glocks.

Am also running my latest Glock at SSA. Aside from needing to break in the trigger and upgrading the sights from factory plastic to steel night sights, I don't plan on running this any way except stock.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

Took the glock to the range to test some greeen dot reloads...green dot 4.4 grains with 115 copper plated berry bullets, they work great..anyway...

Lo and behold there is a sig shooter in the lane next to me. I handed him the gun with a full mag and he proceeded to best his groupings he had been shooting with his sig..

He commented it was the easiest shooting gun he had tried....

There you go, how to make a sig better...trade it in for a glock.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You can always tell the guys that only shoot their handguns on a typical California firing range (bench only at 25 yards and have plenty of time to cock the hammer and monkey around) and never shoot from a holster or train in real life conditions. They L-O-V-E their overpriced politically correct DA/SA handguns like Sigs and Berettas that not only have a very complicated trigger to master, but cannot be carried cocked and locked...and they hate the guns like Glocks that have triggers that are easy to master, or H&K v1s and 1911s that can at least be carried cocked and locked.

If these knuckleheads ever did a side by side comparison in a true to life scenario they would quickly change their minds. I did. I used to be a big time Glock hater (because they are ugly). They I took a Defensive Handgun Course with my pretty Beretta 96FS and got spanked by the Glock and 1911 guys. Switched to a Glock and it was like night and day. Suddenly I was a bad a__!

If you want a gun that will keep your rear alive, buy a Glock. If you want something to look pretty sitting in your safe...buy something else.
and you know you drank a bit too much Glock kool-aid when you post something like this.
Quote:
As for modifications, thus far mine have been pretty simple. I added a Glock Factory Made Extended Slide Release, that I wish as a tad bit longer but does help, and a Vickers Extended Magazine Release that I am not sure does much for me.
This is the extent that I'd do to. Glock's magazine release could use a little more length and if you want, you can replace the slide lock with extended one as it makes it easier to operate it. Maybe I'd get a smooth face trigger, but that is not a priority as I've not noticed much difference between use of errated trigger and smooth trigger.
Old 11-07-2009, 1:01 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

Heck, I didn't know they made Kool aid too! Where can I buy it!
Old 11-07-2009, 1:05 PM
Veteran Member

get a Glock 22 or 23,
put a round in it,
fire it,
collect the kaboom debris,
mix it with water.

Old 11-07-2009, 2:33 PM
Banned

Nothing is wrong with a Sig or a Glock - I draw and shoot rapid fire at my range, just so happens that I shoot better with the Sig's than a Glock. The extreme grip angle doesn't work for me because I point-shoot/front-sight rather than using sights front/rear - I always shoot high with a Glock because my muscle memory is accustomed to the shallower grip angle of a 1911 or Sig which I shot for decades before trying a Glock.
Old 11-07-2009, 9:29 PM

Interesting indeed.

Do you know why they put grooves on the side of the barrel and cut out a bit of the slide on the side as well? Is it a weight issue? Does it make any difference?

I'm asking b/c I have a mill + some carbide endmills that are just sitting idle at the moment

Quote:
I just looked at Glockworx's site. They got some wild looking Glocks.

Old 11-07-2009, 9:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.E. View Post
Interesting indeed.

Do you know why they put grooves on the side of the barrel and cut out a bit of the slide on the side as well? Is it a weight issue? Does it make any difference?

I'm asking b/c I have a mill + some carbide endmills that are just sitting idle at the moment
thats the drillium upgrade.

i dont like those compensator ports, they will flash the nightvision outta your eyes if you shoot it in the dark...

as far as the glock kool-aid guy is concerned, learn to shoot, then post here again. you get what you pay for, there is a reason that race guns have hammers, because its a pain in the a** to shoot a striker fired pistol quickly. glocks are great, for what they are. theyre good for all around, range shooting, home defense for 95% of the world. but for the other 5%, the glock "safe action" pistol is not the best solution. there are much better guns for good marksmen, and performing RHODESIAN drills.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevensix2x51 View Post
thats the drillium upgrade.

i dont like those compensator ports, they will flash the nightvision outta your eyes if you shoot it in the dark...
I meant the other stuff that wasn't a port (ports I can figure out). They cut a portion out of the slide on the right side (left too I assume). And grooves in the square part of the barrel. (see red rectangles) I'm assuming for weight, but it might just be cosmetics:

Old 11-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.E. View Post
I meant the other stuff that wasn't a port (ports I can figure out). They cut a portion out of the slide on the right side (left too I assume). And grooves in the square part of the barrel. (see red rectangles) I'm assuming for weight, but it might just be cosmetics:
i was with you. the areas youre talking about are the drillium upgrade (drillium=more money, no benefit, but looks more expensive.). the compensator comment was me thinking out loud. sorry, i think in tangents...
Old 11-08-2009, 2:57 AM

the porting configuration would not matter to the night vision application because it will not be used for such...it's a race gun.

the milling is for weight, cooling and aesthetics. the weight removal is obviously seen. in my logic the cooling thought would work very similiar to the rifle builds with rails and fluted barrels by increasing air flow and surface area.
Old 11-08-2009, 8:57 AM

Just a little tip about the eye thing, i am also 50, and had real problems with the eye thing. What i did was,,,,,,,,took my firearm to my eye doctor, and she made me a prescription for shooting. My right eye (dominate eye) prescription is for seeing front sight clearly. Left eye prescription is for distance. She told me that, our brains work so fast, that what ever you are looking at, the eyes will self adjust,,,,,,,,,i can actually wear these glasses just walking around and they work beautiful.
Old 11-08-2009, 9:32 AM

Sure they will self adjust, but over any substantial period of time the extra strain from stretching the lens in your eye to focus the image will result in a major headache!

As for the glocks vs. sigs....Yeah I can see why the glocks are popular. It's a great pistol and you won't break the bank buying it. That being said, I much prefer the sig. From the extra weight, to the grip angle, to the control set up and the excellent stock trigger, I'll take it over the glock any day.

Oh, and that "politically correct" DA/SA trigger pull? It's really not that difficult. Anyone with proper trigger control and front sight alignment will have it "mastered" after about one magazine.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

A gun is a gun is a gun is a gun, and what gun is "best" is a matter of conjecture, opinion, and personal habits, training and preferences. I have a few handguns but I used the glock to trick out because its the gun most readily modified with "bolt ons" available to the common man for common dollars.

Last edited by bubbapug1; 11-08-2009 at 7:49 PM.. Reason: added pic
Old 11-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Put J. Abbate behind a Glock! That's how you make a Glock better.

That is a nice set up she got there.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine