Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 09-04-2009, 5:43 PM

Angry DROS held up???

My FFL just called and said my DROS got put on hold from DOJ. Not cancelled or a non issue but he said that it says do not issue till further notice. Anybody have any ideas? The only thing im doing that I could think of interfering is applying for a passport for work.
- Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-04-2009, 6:04 PM

Perhaps your name matches a banned person. If you don't included you SS# (I never do), they could be double checking. You getting your gun in 10 days is not the DOJ's concern. They would rather say, "no" and be wrong than say, "Yes" and be wrong.
Old 09-04-2009, 6:09 PM

I agree Tom
Old 09-04-2009, 6:09 PM

Hey MILSIM....
At my store...We get delays in about one in thirty DROS we run. Almost always they get the go ahead in three to five days. Like post #2 said..The SSN# usually helps but I too dont put it down.
Keep your chin up..Unless your are one of those guys that "forgot" about their assault with a deadly weapon arrest five years ago...You will be shooting in no time.......
Old 09-04-2009, 6:15 PM

Damn it thats it! I didnt put my social down. I normally do but the FFL said he wouldnt so I didnt. Oh and no assualt with deadly weapon..hahahaha
... Then again maybe I should have put it down.
- Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-04-2009, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Damn it thats it! I didnt put my social down. I normally do but the FFL said he wouldnt so I didnt.
Err isn't the FFL supposed to input ALL information they get from you to the DOJ/ATF as part of the check? Even if it's optional?
Old 09-04-2009, 6:42 PM
Veteran Member

the SSN has nothing to do with the hold even if you did put it down. The DOJ nor has ATF ever called to verify the SSN It is more than likely a mix up with common names. Should go through in the matter of days.
Old 09-04-2009, 7:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayashi Killian View Post
Err isn't the FFL supposed to input ALL information they get from you to the DOJ/ATF as part of the check? Even if it's optional?
The FFL only "inputs" the information required for the DROS form. SSNs are not part of that. No information is submitted to the ATF by the FFL. If the DOJ called and asked if there is a SSN on the 4473, I guess the FFL has the implied consent from the customer to provide it if the customer put it on the 4473.

Old 09-04-2009, 7:20 PM

Good info guys thanks
- Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-04-2009, 7:28 PM

An old unpaid traffic ticket will do it..............
Old 09-04-2009, 8:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I had a gun which serial number matched a stolen gun. Took eight months to finally clear back to the FFL. The DOJ put a hold on the gun then sent the sheriff to pick up and send to another part of the state for comparison. Not the correct gun so back it came to the sheriff and then to the FFL. But that is just my luck.

jerry
Old 09-04-2009, 10:52 PM

Thumbs down

I searched the internet a bit and it seems that its probably an info thing. If you have tickets, bad ID, or bad record its an instant rejection. Any hold usually something that needs to clarified. Found a couple other people who went through the same crap. Oh well I will update with what happens come tuesday.
- Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-05-2009, 8:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

A couple of FFL's I worked with mentioned that the most common reason is that the purchaser had a purchase within the last 30 days or a unpaid traffic citation.