Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 07-13-2009, 8:04 PM

Default AW Reg. question. Was the paperwork done correctly?

To start, i am lucky enough to be LEO and be exempt from the stupid CA laws concerning AR15s and I feel for those that don't have the same privilege. So here's my question.

I recently recieved my letter from the Chief to obtain two "assault weapons". I had two previous OLLs that I wanted to have configured as assault weapons, one an AR rifle and the second an AR pistol. I returned the lowers to the manufacturer (out of state) in order for them to remove the Bullet Buttons and install regular mag releases, the two lowers were then shipped to an AW dealer.

All the paperwork was finished at the FFL and I took the lowers home. The next morning I begain filling out the "Assault Weapon Registration" (FD 023), the blue card with the weapons serial number, model, caliber, etc. I reached the spot where it asked for type, below it list in ( ) rifle, pistol, or shotgun. For some reason I glanced at the "Dealer's Record of Sale of Firearm" form from the FFL, under the Transaction Information section there is a box for "Firearm Type". The FFL had written in "Longgun", singular but doesn't add anything about a pistol.

I kinda panicked because I thought my AR pistol lower was ruined as a pistol for good. I called up the FFL to see if he had known the AR pistol lower had been logged as a longgun. He put me at ease, he said he knew one of the lowers was for an AR pistol and that it was ok because the "Dealer Record of Firearm Sale" isn't all of the specific detail of the sale. It makes no mention gun models, serial #'s, or etc. Only buyer info, when the transaction took place, and number of guns. I asked what I should write on the Assault Weapon Registration card (the blue card) under weapon type. He said to write in lower reciever for both weapons.

I was good with his explanation until a partner at work, who's very knowledgeable on gun laws, said he would have an uneasy feeling about it. Put me back where I was the morning after picking them up. So, anyone have any insight on this, any FFLs would be great to hear from, and especially anyone else that has registered an AR pistol as an AW. Thanks in advance.

CERTIFIED GLOCK AND S&W M&P ARMORER

"It's good to know who hates you, and it's good to be hated by the right people." - Johnny Cash
Old 07-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

from what im getting from your story is that your receiver for the pistol should have been drosed as a pistol since pistols are registered in california wether they are aw's or not. also from what i remember there would have been 2 different dros forms because you cannot dros a rifle and handgun on the same dros. i think he may be wrong on that one.

Last edited by jamesob; 07-13-2009 at 11:04 PM..
Old 07-14-2009, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesob View Post
from what im getting from your story is that your receiver for the pistol should have been drosed as a pistol since pistols are registered in california wether they are aw's or not. also from what i remember there would have been 2 different dros forms because you cannot dros a rifle and handgun on the same dros. i think he may be wrong on that one.
Not making me feel better... Thanks though. As far as the DROS goes, is it a SHALL not DROS a pistol and rifle on the same DROS, Or it a SHOULD not? If it occurs is the DROS nulled or does it just make the DOJ upset and something they want you to avoid? I have heard different things.

"It's good to know who hates you, and it's good to be hated by the right people." - Johnny Cash
Old 07-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by till44 View Post
Not making me feel better... Thanks though. As far as the DROS goes, is it a SHALL not DROS a pistol and rifle on the same DROS, Or it a SHOULD not? If it occurs is the DROS nulled or does it just make the DOJ upset and something they want you to avoid? I have heard different things.
no, its a cannot dros both at the same time. the dros does not allow you to dros a longarm and a handgun at the same time, its one or the other.
Old 07-14-2009, 7:58 PM

So whats a solution to have it fixed?