Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 05-04-2009, 6:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Need a lady's perspective

My fiancee has been around guns for quite awhile but she doesn't enjoy shooting that much. She's been out once with me in the three years I've been shooting. She's a good shot with the USPc 9mm I gave her but didn't care much for shooting any of my ARs. I'm thinking I might have started her off a little wrong and if she'll go out to the range with me again, I might give her my modified 10/22 to plink with and then see if she wants to move to anything else.

I'd appreciate any thoughts from the ladies of CGN though as I'd like to share this hobby with her since it's both practical as well as enjoyable.

Magpul | Mega Arms | LMT | Hiperfire | ODIN Works | Multitasker
Spike's Tactical | Fortis | Centurion Arms | Limited Capacity PMAGs

FREE SHIPPING ON $150+ ORDERS!
Old 05-05-2009, 1:17 PM
Veteran Member

I can tell you from my own experiences last year that I wasn't all that thrilled about shooting the first two separate times I tried it. Two male friends invited me to shoot their handguns. Got to try a Ruger .22, a copy of a Walther .22, and I think a XD .40. Didn't care much for the .22s but the XD was fun to shoot.

About a month later, out of curiosity and a sense of, Well, I might as well get it done! lol, I took an NRA pistol course. Was pleasantly surprised to find that with some professional and near personal instruction, I liked shooting. Took me about a month later to find my first handgun. Did all the online and in-store research on my own too.

Just because your fiancée does not show the level of enthusiasm you'd like her to show about your favorite hobby, at least she's there with you on occasion. Most women are willing to be with their loved ones and try things out. Anyway ask her if she prefers shooting handguns over rifles. Or if she'd rather do something else while you're out at the range. And if she has a favorite hobby, do you share her enthusiasm for it as well?

"Let those find fault whose wit's so very small,
They've need to show that they can think at all;
Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
He who would search for pearls, must dive below." -- John Dryden
Old 05-05-2009, 1:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by masameet View Post
I can tell you from my own experiences last year that I wasn't all that thrilled about shooting the first two separate times I tried it. Two male friends invited me to shoot their handguns. Got to try a Ruger .22, a copy of a Walther .22, and I think a XD .40. Didn't care much for the .22s but the XD was fun to shoot.

About a month later, out of curiosity and a sense of, Well, I might as well get it done! lol, I took an NRA pistol course. Was pleasantly surprised to find that with some professional and near personal instruction, I liked shooting. Took me about a month later to find my first handgun. Did all the online and in-store research on my own too.

Just because your fiancée does not show the level of enthusiasm you'd like her to show about your favorite hobby, at least she's there with you on occasion. Most women are willing to be with their loved ones and try things out. Anyway ask her if she prefers shooting handguns over rifles. Or if she'd rather do something else while you're out at the range. And if she has a favorite hobby, do you share her enthusiasm for it as well?
Yup, our three dogs.

She seemed to enjoy practicing with the zombie targets that I setup...proved to be a good shot too! I might invest in some reactive targets and see if that would be more enjoyable for her.

Old 05-05-2009, 1:51 PM
Banned

get her a pink rifle/handgun
Old 05-05-2009, 4:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan zoehrer View Post
get her a pink rifle/handgun
She's not big on pink otherwise I'd get her a pink AR.

Old 05-05-2009, 4:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post
My fiancee has been around guns for quite awhile but she doesn't enjoy shooting that much.
Do an activity with her that you normally don't enjoy. She'll make note of it and probably return the favor.
Old 05-05-2009, 5:50 PM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

more zombie targets?!

how about a revolver or two?

mz

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 05-05-2009, 6:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post
Do an activity with her that you normally don't enjoy. She'll make note of it and probably return the favor.
There isn't much we don't already do together. Since we're in a long-distance relationship, we pretty much do everything together so we can maximize our time together when we get to see each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
more zombie targets?!

how about a revolver or two?

mz
She liked the zombies for their novelty. I'm thinking of getting a dueling tree and a bunch of tennis balls (or other reactive target) for the next time we go out. My shooting buddy is my soon-to-be father-in-law so we want to get my fiancee and her mother out with us next time.

Old 05-06-2009, 1:20 AM

Ryan,

Just as a bit of cultural trivia.......I don't think Annie Oakley or 'Plinky' Topperwein had any pink guns.....

cheers

Carla
Old 05-06-2009, 7:26 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

i'm certainly not into pink guns at all........however, if someone can find me some orange grips for my revolvers........

mz

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 05-07-2009, 4:22 PM

Hey, props to you for involving her in your hobby... and a rather fine one if I might add! That being said, it's not for everyone. However, if you continue to involve her and make it enjoyable, it might grow on her. I think the 10/22 is a good idea.

One of my husband's friends has a wife who was incredibly gun shy. They had no guns, and she wanted to keep it that way. He snuck out and bought himself a home defense shotgun which freaked her out. Not too much later he bought a 17 and she loves to shoot that thing... and now she'll shoot the shotgun too and thinks it a blast. They are now shopping for a handgun for her.

Start small and work your way up. Good luck!
Old 05-08-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post
She's not big on pink otherwise I'd get her a pink AR.
They have sanrio series of ARs out there... i.e. designs, and blue-prints. My ex didn't like the pink so I customized a Pochacco AR for her. To think of it, I want it back now.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:33 AM
C3 Leader

Think she'd like shooting silhouette targets with either a handgun or rifle?

I graduated from dancing paper ammo boxes across the range to pin shooting with a 1911 when I was trying to figure out what was really fun... These days, I get invited to matches only because the guys know I show up with boxes of donuts!
Old 06-13-2009, 8:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Update: we found a new range owned by a local shooter's club (which we joined) where the benches are under trees and the side of the range are also lined with trees, providing some shelter from the wind. She wants to go out there with her USPc and squeeze off a few rounds. I guess she didn't like having the sun constantly on her when we were shooting at her grandfather's farm.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Hey, that's great!

Last weekend I finally learned how to hold a rifle and shoot left-handed. Now that I know how to deal with a rifle's weight, I can't wait to get my first rifle.

"Let those find fault whose wit's so very small,
They've need to show that they can think at all;
Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
He who would search for pearls, must dive below." -- John Dryden
Old 06-13-2009, 7:53 PM

its interesting how many guys think if you place a pink firearm in front of a women they will like to shoot