Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 05-24-2009, 5:34 PM

Default Cav Scout?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here is a current/former cav scout? I am getting a bit older(29) and for some reason I have this burning desire to serve in the military once again.(Was active airforce 6 years) I loved the air force, but I always found it a bit watered down, and easy.(Security Forces) I was interested in joining the army reserve or guard, and cav scout seemed like a great gig. You get the traditions of the army, and the armor/infantry side of things. I am interested in being airborne, and possibly attending air assault and some other special schools. I'm not doing it for the school money, or the "I have nothing better to do" reasons, I have a great job in the federal government now, but theres something just tugging on my heart strings urging me to give it one last shot. Any advice would be great, I want to be in the "thick" of things if you catch my drift, and even though I've looked at 11B and Cav Scouts, I am a bit undecided. Thanks again for input!
Old 05-24-2009, 5:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maton View Post
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here is a current/former cav scout? I am getting a bit older(29) and for some reason I have this burning desire to serve in the military once again.(Was active airforce 6 years) I loved the air force, but I always found it a bit watered down, and easy.(Security Forces) I was interested in joining the army reserve or guard, and cav scout seemed like a great gig. You get the traditions of the army, and the armor/infantry side of things. I am interested in being airborne, and possibly attending air assault and some other special schools. I'm not doing it for the school money, or the "I have nothing better to do" reasons, I have a great job in the federal government now, but theres something just tugging on my heart strings urging me to give it one last shot. Any advice would be great, I want to be in the "thick" of things if you catch my drift, and even though I've looked at 11B and Cav Scouts, I am a bit undecided. Thanks again for input!
cavtrooper is all about 19D look him up

Last edited by goathead; 05-24-2009 at 7:44 PM..
Old 05-24-2009, 5:59 PM
Veteran Member

also look in this thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=183124 there are 2 or 3 in here
Old 05-24-2009, 7:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Theres no Cav in the reserves and no reserve Infantry units in CA. Theres a few Cav and Infantry Guard units but you generally wont get Airborne, AA or anything good out of them.

If you really want to get into the thick stuff then go active, youll be better off being around Soldiers who train for war 24/7 than with used car salesmen who are Soldiers 38 days a year.
Old 05-29-2009, 5:20 PM

I am an 11B in a airborne cav unit. We basically do the same stuff. Only difference real difference from a real inf bat is I getta ride around in a HMMV while the inf bats are ruckin everywhere. Also cav is more cushy (good thing ). Really, its the same job.
Old 05-29-2009, 5:55 PM

At your service.

I'm armoured cav, live in San Jose and commute to Yerington NV for drill. If you're in SoCal, things get a little easier: There's a light cav unit in the San Diego area, San Bernadino should have an armoured cav platoon as well.
Just drive to Las Vegas for a full-on armoured cav squadron. (And home station drills in Vegas have a lot to say for themselves. Plus NVGuard has a lot more money for schools and such like.

It is a nice blend of dismount stuff, armoured stuff, and is a slightly different skillset to the infantryman. Slightly more emphasis on recon, slightly less on full-on, slugging-it-out infantry fights. (That said, we're currently mobilised configured as infantry). However, in CalGuard, at least, don't expect many 'cool' courses. They'll send you to airborne if you're in an airborne unit, etc, but California's money is just too tight for non-MOS-required courses. Part of the drug deal that enticed me to NV from my old CalGuard unit was that they would send me to resident schools, they had the money to spend.

NTM
Old 06-05-2009, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Moran View Post
At your service.

Looking good their Captain!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

óJeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Old 06-06-2009, 2:19 AM

Quote:
At your service.
CPT Moran, you look familiar, were you ever at G or C?
Old 06-06-2009, 3:46 AM

I'd talk to a recruiter about getting a Ranger contract. You go from basic to airborne to Ranger. Atleast that's what I would do if I could do it all over. It's easier to get a slot for these schools when they want you (i.e. enlisting/reuping).

Sounds like you got the right drive and attitude. If you feel highspeed enough you can probably get SF into your contract. DOn't know if they still offer those. Ofcourse getting there is all up to you.
Old 06-06-2009, 8:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldsal View Post
CPT Moran, you look familiar, were you ever at G or C?
i know you not asking me but whats g and c
Old 06-06-2009, 8:11 AM

"G or C"?

Since I don't recognise the term, I'll have to say 'no'

NTM
Old 06-06-2009, 9:59 AM

Haha, sorry, G/C = Golf/Charlie TRP from 1/18 CAV.

CPT Moran, I must have mistaken you for someone else sir.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:52 PM

Nope, sorry. 1-149AR, 1-185AR were my main CalGuard haunts.

NTM
Old 06-06-2009, 3:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Nope, sorry. 1-149AR, 1-185AR were my main CalGuard haunts.

NTM
are you at mob yet

Last edited by goathead; 06-06-2009 at 4:01 PM..
Old 06-06-2009, 8:13 PM

If you ain't cav, you ain't ****... When I went through OSUT we had a guy in his thirties he made it no problem. Plus you learn way more stuff than 11B. 11B's can't figure out how to call for fire or even fill a radio most of the time.

Last edited by mattman; 06-06-2009 at 8:24 PM..
Old 06-07-2009, 8:29 PM

question about cav... i'm enlisting come january and it seems like this is the MOS for me.. just wondering how much actual combat you would see in say afghanistan
Old 06-07-2009, 9:01 PM

About as much as any other line unit. Like Armour, MPs, Artillery and Engineers, the personnel are basically being used as understrength infantry units. The real difference in usage is in the 'conventional' fight, with less emphasis on full-on brawls, but a greater variety of lower-intensity missions.

Quote:
are you at mob yet
Yep. Mobilised Apr15.
Old 06-07-2009, 9:32 PM
Banned

go infantry don't go pog.
Old 06-07-2009, 9:56 PM
Calguns Addict

You guys are all Thanks for your service.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maton View Post
Hey guys,

You should look into the reserve Navy EOD Program. Not only do you get a ton of demo training but the opportunity to be Jump (Basic Airborne and MFF qualified) as well as DIVE (open and closed circuit) qualified.

I know quite a few EOD reserve guys who love Mobile Unit Seven in San Diego.

I am not EOD; but the training translates into big opportunities in both the GOV and CIV Sector. Infantry doesn't translate to much outside of the military.

Going to Hawaii to DIVE isn't a bad way to "drill" either.