Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 03-17-2009, 6:53 PM
Live Free Or Die
CGN Contributor

Default Anybody been to China Lake?

You Navy and USMC folks have probably heard of it. The most gun-friendly valley in California. That's mostly because guns are pea shooters compared to what we play with out here.

If you get out here on duty or travel, let me know. I'll give you the chance to sling some lead downrange as a small token of thanks for your service.

-Jason
Old 03-17-2009, 7:18 PM

I was TAD to teach a two week class a few years ago and loved it! My students took me out almost every day after class. Ridge Crest and Trona offer fantastic quail and chucker hunting and if you are into quads & dirt bikes your gonna be in paradise. As for the shooting we went on BLM land just south of town on the east side of the fwy.
Is Tommy T's still open????????

Last edited by Trapper; 03-17-2009 at 7:21 PM..
Old 03-17-2009, 7:49 PM

Default China Lake

Been there once to pick up some bomb racks, never going back. IYAOYAS

Last edited by SSDSIGS; 03-17-2009 at 7:59 PM..
Old 03-17-2009, 7:49 PM

Almost 15 years ago I did some training there........WOW 15 years!
Old 03-17-2009, 9:10 PM
Live Free Or Die
CGN Contributor

Yeah Tommy T's is still open. Hung out there quite a bit when I first moved out, but I like Charlie's better up at Carriage Inn. I'm a family man now so we don't get to go out as much as we used to.

Sounds like you ended up at the old police range. It's ok but better places to go. Great ranges out on Brown Road just a couple miles south of where I live.

The place is growing. Lots of new work is being shifted over here as part of BRAC. Handful of hotels/restaraunts have gone up on east side of China Lake Blvd outside main gate now. Still crap selection for restaurants but it's getting better.

Hah yeah IYAOYAS

-Jason
Old 03-17-2009, 9:25 PM
Veteran Member

My dad and I stopped by "The U.S. Naval Museum of Armament and Technology" a few months ago on my way up to Mammoth. We always drive by Ridgecrest on the 395 and finally decided to stop by and see what those billboards where talking about. I'll be heading up to Mammoth this weekend, btw. I'll tip my cap to you as I drive through Inyokern
Andrew J.
Old 03-17-2009, 9:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've been there a couple of times for a class & some live fire testing. Cool place if you want to blow stuff up

Gustatus Similis Pullus
Old 03-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

I lived out there about 25-30 years ago... and no, I wasn't in the service at the time. China Lake was, quite literally, my playground.
Old 03-19-2009, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
You Navy and USMC folks have probably heard of it. The most gun-friendly valley in California. That's mostly because guns are pea shooters compared to what we play with out here.

If you get out here on duty or travel, let me know. I'll give you the chance to sling some lead downrange as a small token of thanks for your service.

-Jason
I'm active duty out at edwards, i wanna sling some lead downrange! lemmw know!

RD Game Calls Silver Pro-Staff
RD Game Calls
Old 03-19-2009, 1:58 PM

I actually work at Pt. Mugu, China Lake's sister base in terms of jamming and airborne electronic attack. My wife and I have been considering a move out there. I love the gun friendly environment and my wife looks at it as a way to own horses again. Some people don't like it but having served 8 years in the Army and currently in the Navy reserve...i've seen much worse.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Live Free Or Die
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmeado View Post
I actually work at Pt. Mugu, China Lake's sister base in terms of jamming and airborne electronic attack. My wife and I have been considering a move out there. I love the gun friendly environment and my wife looks at it as a way to own horses again. Some people don't like it but having served 8 years in the Army and currently in the Navy reserve...i've seen much worse.
This valley is the most gun-friendly valley in the state. Several of my neighbors out here in Inyokern own horses. And the work is real similar to that of Point Mugu, although after participating in a test out on the sea range I have to say that it is easier to test up here assuming you can get on the schedule (it's been incredibly busy up here over the past 2-3 yrs).

-Jason
Old 03-29-2009, 11:44 AM

My grandparents homesteaded in that valley. I was born in China Lake in '52 and lived both in Inyokern and on base in the late 50's and early 60's. Except for the wind blowing rocks in the winter and spring wind, it was a great place to be a kid.

I'm glad to hear the place is doing fine.
Old 05-28-2009, 9:37 AM

I'm still here after 25 years of service......but hope to be leaving soon if I can get my early-retirement.