Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 05-19-2009, 2:06 AM

Quote:
The tactics used for an assault does not really have to be drastically changed. The principle is that the automatic rifleman (usually the assistant team leader) is to be armed with a magazine fed automatic rifle to make accurate fire and more mobility. As the assisatant team leader, he will have to take over if/when the TL goes down. This would be more difficult if he is handling the SAW. Lugging around the SAW doing individual rushes is an arse kicker making it harder to get accurate fire on target. Suppresive fire will be provided by the support element, usually Weapons Platoon's machine gunners, so having a SAW with the assualt element is really not necessary. The belt fed weapon will be around for a long time to come.
I wouldnt expect the ATL to lug around the SAW if his TL went down. Its like that infamous quote "chit rolls downhill" and so would that SAW if the TL went down and the ATL took over his roll. The next guy in line would become the new ATL and eventually one guy would be lugging around 2 M16's. I understand that the situation in Iraq is not ideal for Fire Teams to lug around a SAW through all those close quarters, but I wouldnt want to rely on just 30 round mags if things get hairy and you need to put lots of rounds down range to get into cover or perform a tactical retreat. I agree that you may not need the SAW for all missions and could use weapons platoon for suppressive fire if needed. But not all battlefields are the same and this is why the Corps will not get rid of the beltfed weapons from its aresenal or infantry squads

You dont need a bigger gun, you just need more AMMO!!!

Mosin Nagant 91/30
M1 Garand
XD Tactical .45
Mossberg 500A Persuader
Looking for complete Bushmaster AR15 20" 5.56/.223 flattop with A2 stock
Old 05-19-2009, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSamsMisguidedChild View Post
I wouldnt expect the ATL to lug around the SAW if his TL went down. Its like that infamous quote "chit rolls downhill" and so would that SAW if the TL went down and the ATL took over his roll. The next guy in line would become the new ATL and eventually one guy would be lugging around 2 M16's. I understand that the situation in Iraq is not ideal for Fire Teams to lug around a SAW through all those close quarters, but I wouldnt want to rely on just 30 round mags if things get hairy and you need to put lots of rounds down range to get into cover or perform a tactical retreat. I agree that you may not need the SAW for all missions and could use weapons platoon for suppressive fire if needed. But not all battlefields are the same and this is why the Corps will not get rid of the beltfed weapons from its aresenal or infantry squads
From my experience as an infantryman, we had the Team Leader armed with an M16A2/M203, the Assistant Team Leader with the automatic weapon, the assistant automatic rifleman and rifleman using M16A4's. This was done when I was a LCpl (SAW gunner), a CPL (team leader), a Sgt (squad leader) and SSgt (platoon Sgt). This is how I was brought up in the infantry community. There are probably Marines that were not taught to do this. I know that the battlefield is dynamic, so we have to be able to adapt to any situation. I believe that the Corps doesn't plan on taking the M249 completely out of the infantry squad. How they're going to do this, I couldn't tell ya. In fact, in the recent Marine Corps Times, they are looking for optics for the SAW. I agree with you in that belt fed weapons will be in the Marine Corps for a very long time, but the Corps is trying to make this change. Marines, young and old, will adapt and overcome as they have done for so long. Semper!
Old 05-19-2009, 7:24 PM

I agree from my time in the Marines I beleive a belt fed weapon is the way to go. I remember before we got the SAW in the mid 80s the automatice rifleman in the fire teams had nothing more than a M16A1 with extra mags and a sloppy bi-pod. Keeping the enemies heads down when establishing a base of was severly lacking until the M249 was introduces. There were less malfunctions with the belt fed weapon vise the magazine ones. I will admit using the saw with mags leaves a little to be desired.
Old 05-21-2009, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manong0369 View Post
From my experience as an infantryman, we had the Team Leader armed with an M16A2/M203, the Assistant Team Leader with the automatic weapon, the assistant automatic rifleman and rifleman using M16A4's. This was done when I was a LCpl (SAW gunner), a CPL (team leader), a Sgt (squad leader) and SSgt (platoon Sgt). This is how I was brought up in the infantry community. There are probably Marines that were not taught to do this. I know that the battlefield is dynamic, so we have to be able to adapt to any situation. I believe that the Corps doesn't plan on taking the M249 completely out of the infantry squad. How they're going to do this, I couldn't tell ya. In fact, in the recent Marine Corps Times, they are looking for optics for the SAW. I agree with you in that belt fed weapons will be in the Marine Corps for a very long time, but the Corps is trying to make this change. Marines, young and old, will adapt and overcome as they have done for so long. Semper!
Thats how I was instructed in MCT how you described the infantry squad would operate. I would observe the tactics used of the infantry guys we worked with while training on Pendleton and deployments, and it was very similar but they would change things up a little depending on the mission or scenario they were doing. I'm very interested in how the Corps will implement this new weapon into a squad and see if it lasts or the guys want to lug that SAW around again. I'd put my money on the SAW!! It might be great at first with the reduced weight, but the first few firefights without the SAW and yelling over the COMM to get suppressive fire would probably put an end to that real quick(In my opinion). But then again, like you said the Corps has adapted and overcome for many many years and this could be the case with the new IAR. Semper Fi

You dont need a bigger gun, you just need more AMMO!!!

Mosin Nagant 91/30
M1 Garand
XD Tactical .45
Mossberg 500A Persuader
Looking for complete Bushmaster AR15 20" 5.56/.223 flattop with A2 stock