Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 05-18-2009, 5:17 PM
In Memoriam

Default Question for any Officers or Recruiters...

Ok, so I enlisted in 05. But was discharged for not disclosing medical information. I'm eligible for re-enlistment and have had two surgeries since my original discharge. As of now I need at least 2 waivers, possibly 3.

I am nearing the end of my physical therapy from my knee surgery which I had last summer and am running over a mile now. Originally I could barely run 100 yards.

Last week, I contacted a guard recruiter. He told me the guard isn't accepting waivers right now for enlisted personnel. He told me with the economy and the end of the school year there are tons of applicants. He told me my only option for re-enlistment (obtaining my waivers) would be if I finished my AA degree or just accumulated 60 units. Then he could work with me to get a commission. Otherwise he couldn't do anything for me until maybe Oct-November, when the pool of applicants dries up.

I am planning to finish my degree one way or the other, but with working full time I'm at best 2 years off still. So hell by then the situation could change and they may not be giving waivers for Officers.

Anyways my question...

What would be the best degree to shoot for if one wanted to go for a commission? I asked the recruiter and he told me just having 60 units would be enough, because the Guard needs Officers bad. I was going to go for a business degree as I have future plans of hopefully opening my own business. Although I was wondering if another degree would be more appealing?

I'm not strictly stuck on the Guard, but I own my home, so while I want to go full time, I want to stay local. I'm considering poking my nose around in the Army and Air Force reserves to see if the situation for waivers is the same. I'm only 23, so I'm not in a rush, but I won't lie that I'd love to get back in sooner rather then later.

Last edited by Bizcuits; 05-18-2009 at 5:25 PM..
Old 05-18-2009, 7:55 PM

I know in the Regular Army, an AA only gets you E-3 it does not get you a commission. I have 60 units and they told me the highest I can go in at is E-3. With a BA you can go in as an E-4 or get a commission. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2009, 8:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebloodsonthewall View Post
I know in the Regular Army, an AA only gets you E-3 it does not get you a commission. I have 60 units and they told me the highest I can go in at is E-3. With a BA you can go in as an E-4 or get a commission. Good luck.
the guard you just need 60 units,the commission is from the state
Old 05-18-2009, 8:05 PM
Veteran Member

the guard is the best shot to get back in the military. the state gives the waivers, not DA, so it's easier
Old 05-18-2009, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiaz792310 View Post
the guard you just need 60 units,the commission is from the state
I see. So could someone join the guard and get commissioned and then switch over to the regular army at the same rank?
Old 05-18-2009, 8:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I see. So could someone join the guard and get commissioned and then switch over to the regular army at the same rank?
no then you need a BA, the OCS(one weekend a month) in state is different from REG ARMY OCS...
Old 05-18-2009, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiaz792310 View Post
no then you need a BA, the OCS(one weekend a month) in state is different from REG ARMY OCS...
Got it. Thank you. I don't really know much about the guard. I enlisted in the Army and I leave for basic training next month.
Old 05-18-2009, 9:45 PM

Back when I was younger and thinner, the technical degrees (engineering, mathematics, computer science and other science fields) were always in short supply so they got the most scholarships for ROTC. Once you are in, you will be expected to get a Master's Degree before making Major, so you could study business and get an MBA at that time.
Old 05-19-2009, 6:28 AM

The National Guard is probably your worst bet at this point. The Army National Guard no longer grants ANY medical waivers or moral waivers. The minimum ASVAB score is a 50 (compared to 31 or so with the other branches).

The way it looks, you'd most likely require two waivers. A 'moral' waiver for your original discharge and a medical waiver because of whatever the condition was and the two subsequent surgeries resulting from it.

You should try the Active Army or the Army Reserves.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:33 AM

It looks like you are in Sacramento. We have PT every Tuesday and Thursday at 4 pm if you want to come work out with us and talk to the recruiters. Send me a pm if you are interested. They also have weekend things they do every now and then.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:08 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBooty View Post
The National Guard is probably your worst bet at this point. The Army National Guard no longer grants ANY medical waivers or moral waivers. The minimum ASVAB score is a 50 (compared to 31 or so with the other branches).

The way it looks, you'd most likely require two waivers. A 'moral' waiver for your original discharge and a medical waiver because of whatever the condition was and the two subsequent surgeries resulting from it.

You should try the Active Army or the Army Reserves.

It's sad that I get more information online on a message board then from talking to a recruiter...

How'd you get your info? Are you a recruiter or active?

Quote:
It looks like you are in Sacramento. We have PT every Tuesday and Thursday at 4 pm if you want to come work out with us and talk to the recruiters. Send me a pm if you are interested. They also have weekend things they do every now and then.
PM sent
Old 05-19-2009, 1:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcuits View Post
It's sad that I get more information online on a message board then from talking to a recruiter...

How'd you get your info? Are you a recruiter or active?

PM sent
i think his a guard recruiter if i remenber correct