Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 03-24-2009, 7:34 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Help me pick a HD gun for my wife.

I need to buy my wife a home defense gun.
Here are the issues:
She has very weak hands from carpel tunnel. She has a hard time pulling a slide back so I was thinking a revolver would be the better choice.
She also wants something very simple to use. Just pull the trigger and that's it. No safeties to try and figure out, no mags to fumble with. Again, this points to a revolver.
She does not like heavy recoil so I think heavy weight along with a lighter caliber would be ideal, just not too light a caliber.
What revolver would you recommend? I never owned a revolver but shot a few. I like the simplicity. Is there an ideal model that is heavy enough to reduce recoil yet have a decent capacity of 6-8 rounds?
I was thinking something like a .357 gun that could also feed .38 rounds that way I can enjoy it as well as her. I also figured a 4"+ barrel for added weight.
Keep in mind this will only be for home defense. It only needs to be accurate enough for a body shot at 30 feet max.
Price is not an issue and she will take a class on how to shoot it.
Old 03-24-2009, 7:43 AM
Part time Emperor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

have her take a class at a range that rents handguns. Go through & try all of them. Then let her decide what works for her. Then just supply her with ammo & more range time.
Old 03-24-2009, 7:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Glock 19 your going to get a million opinions but remember me when you are at the range or store.
Glock 19 it's the money you could be saving with Geico!

A lady smith is fine as well
Old 03-24-2009, 7:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokMaster1 View Post
have her take a class at a range that rents handguns. Go through & try all of them. Then let her decide what works for her. Then just supply her with ammo & more range time.
+1
Old 03-24-2009, 7:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophil2 View Post
I need to buy my wife a home defense gun.
Here are the issues:
She has very weak hands from carpel tunnel. She has a hard time pulling a slide back so I was thinking a revolver would be the better choice.
She also wants something very simple to use. Just pull the trigger and that's it. No safeties to try and figure out, no mags to fumble with. Again, this points to a revolver.
She does not like heavy recoil so I think heavy weight along with a lighter caliber would be ideal, just not too light a caliber.
What revolver would you recommend? I never owned a revolver but shot a few. I like the simplicity. Is there an ideal model that is heavy enough to reduce recoil yet have a decent capacity of 6-8 rounds?
I was thinking something like a .357 gun that could also feed .38 rounds that way I can enjoy it as well as her. I also figured a 4"+ barrel for added weight.
Keep in mind this will only be for home defense. It only needs to be accurate enough for a body shot at 30 feet max.
Price is not an issue and she will take a class on how to shoot it.
Your criteria definitely point to the revolver's strengths. 4" stainless S&W 686 or GP100 may be a good starting point. I agree 100% with the previous posts who recommended range time, rentals and instruction. Sounds like you are taking a well-reasoned and informed approach to this- kudos!

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 03-24-2009, 9:21 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

the frames on a s&w 686 and/or gp100 may be to big for her. if this is really a self-defense gun for her, she needs to be trying out as many as she can. while it would be nice for you to also have fun with it, make sure that she really can fire whatever you buy.

a revolver is going to be easier for her to handle given what you've listed re some limitations. look for an older smith 66 which is .38/.357, a k-frame and hopefully with a 4 inch barrel. it is well balanced and doesn't have a lot of recoil. if you want something even smaller, try a smith model 60 stainless. another would be the ruger sp-101.

stay away from any of the light/air weight revolvers: the recoil is horrendous.

lots of range time with as many different revolvers as possible would be ideal. where are you located? perhaps a generous calgunner would help by meeting with her [and you] at a range.

mz

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 03-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Thanks for the replies guys.
I'm in Santa Rosa and the closest Range is Bullseye where we will most likely purchase.
She shot several of thier guns and liked a few. The only revolver she shot was a shorty with .357 loads. Its alot for me and way too much for her.
She can shoot my USPc9mm very well but she can't rack the slide at all due to her injuries. I might need someone who can show her alternate ways of racking the slide as that is my HD gun and I would rather have redundant weapons in the house.
I was looking at maybe a 9mm heavy revolver or possibly a 9mm 1911 with only grip safety (can't remember which condition that is). Nothing less.
She is small at 5'2" but she has abnormally long fingers so she can hold many of the larger guns.
Has anyone considered welding in finger hooks on a slide? She just has no grip strength to pull the slide back without doing it in a dangerous way.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

a smith model 66 with a 4 inch barrel shooting .38 for practice is not much of a kicker.........load the .357's for self-defense only and you might have a winnter.

even alternate ways of racking the slide may not be doable for her......

mz

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 03-24-2009, 3:01 PM

My wife has slide racking issues due to carpal tunnel as well. First, on the 1911s, we keep the hammer back - racking is much easier. Second, she holds the pistol with dominant (right) hand - so I have her grip the slide with left hand while shoving the frame forward to rack. Seems to be easier for her to push the frame while holding onto the slide, especially with hammer already cocked.

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2009, 4:43 PM
Calguns Addict

While I don't have carpel tunnel and I'm not 5' 2", 100lbs, I have racked the slide of a 1911 while I had a sore finger.

I'm right handed so I grasp the pistol grip as normal, finger off the trigger, then rotate my arm so that the muzzle is pointing ~45 degrees down and to the left, holding it right in front of my gut, 3-4" from my shirt. I wrap my left hand over the top of the slide and squeeze hard enough that the slide won't slip out of my hand. Then I use my arms and shoulders to press the slide to the right and the frame to the left.

Use a fast motion if you don't want to let go of the slide when it's back.

I don't know if this is good for shooting at a range, the person in the lane to your left might not like it. For home defence it's fine as long as you do it with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

I can't see how anyone could be too weak to do that unless they are injured or have some other handicap. It shouldn't take much more than 30 lbs. of force and when your arms are in close to your body your muscles have good leverage.

I don't know if that technique has a name. The first time I saw it was in the movie Animal House...
Old 05-08-2009, 3:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default hd for wife

I've solved this situation several times before. I have her select her own.
(That of course considering the wife's skill level)
Old 05-08-2009, 4:05 PM
In Memoriam

I have had arthritis that makes it impossible to rack anything but could still shoot my revolvers with the remaining good hand. .357 4 inch shooting +p .38 for home defense would be my recommendation. .38 makes it more likely that she will be able to get a second shot off, and you can shoot .357 for fun. Also look at this video: http://www.myoutdoortv.com/pdk/web/s...manhJ0KNWQYqM4 The snubby grip that he shows about fifty seconds in is the way I hold everything, unless the slide on a semiauto will dice my thumb doing it. It feels extremely natural to me, and really improves recoil control and, hence, follow shots.
Old 05-08-2009, 7:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

how about this?

Old 05-10-2009, 12:16 AM

If she has wrist issues - perhaps a shotgun would be better. Much less strain on the hands/wrists then shooting a handgun. You'll be able to get more power with less pain, and do it all much cheaper.

As far as simplicity - it doesn't get much more simple then your standard pump action.

You probably already know this, but for some of the other people :Carpal tunnel symptoms can vary quite a bit. Sometimes everything is generally fine, and other times even simple tasks can be difficult. Symptoms such as numbness, weakness, and pain - also have a tendency to pop up at night while the person is sleeping (has to do with how the hand is positioned while at rest, which you have no control over in your sleep - and buildup of fluid around the nerve, which you also have no control over). It generally effects the thumb, index finger, middle finger, and part of the ring finger - as these are all served by the median nerve.

Now - this is important to know - because you have to think about the potential for a situation where say in the middle of the night (time when symptoms commonly occur) someone is breaking into the house. With part of your hand essentially not functioning, your life may depend on effectively using a .357. Could be a sketchy situation for sure.

I'd say try a variety of things - and don't rule out a shotgun. If she's small, something like a youth-sized 20ga will do the trick, and has more then enough umph to drop somebody in an emergency. A good foster slug (1oz) traveling at 1000fps + is going to be plenty effective - even more so - then even the hottest 357mag rounds. See what she's comfortable with. If she's okay with a revolver, it doesn't bother her- and she's not concerned about controlling it if her condition is acting up, then - no problem. Make sure you keep the options open though.
Old 05-10-2009, 6:26 PM

Just wondering what type of sights that you have installed on your USP 9mm. See if your wife can rack the slide by hooking the sights on a table top & pushing forward with two hands. If you look closely at the design of the Kimber SIS 1911 pistol, the sights are shaped for one handed racking of the slide in the event of gunfight injury. I would certainly stay with the 9mm due to its lighter recoil spring load, and stay with the lighter hollow point loads if she is recoil sensitive. I have a Sig Sauer P226ST (stainless frame & slide), its recoil is not much more than my Sig Mosquito 22LR. Good luck
Old 05-10-2009, 6:30 PM
Calguns Addict

She sounds like she'd be best matched with a .38 SW snubbie: the kind that used to come up for sale at Turners like every other week. Don't mess with357 mag revolvers. That's too much recoil, blast, and noise for a small, maginally trained person to deal with under stress. A couple 38 slugs in the chest of a bad guy will do just fine.
Old 05-10-2009, 7:25 PM

Im thinking a 4-10 pump action, or perhaps a 20 gauge. Tame enough for someone with weak hands, plus plenty of stopping power. Of course, if she has knowledge of firearms, it is best to have her pick and choose.
Old 05-10-2009, 8:16 PM

deleted

Last edited by proudamerican831; 05-19-2009 at 12:09 AM..