Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:50 AM

Default NEED a sailor to grade targets

I need a GM/MA/AO that is qualed to grade targets. I shot for grades ini boot camp long ago and would like to try again before I retire. Any one in San Diego that will go with me and grade me? I have a XD in .45 and an AR. and lots of ammo, just need your time. Thanks
Old 04-27-2009, 10:43 AM

If you are looking for current grading criteria, I can send it to you. There is no "qualification" to grade targets.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlsgmc View Post
If you are looking for current grading criteria, I can send it to you. There is no "qualification" to grade targets.
I think he's looking someone to verify the course of fire shot and sign off on the DD Form (i.e. Range Master) so he can submit it to Personnel.

I might be able to help you out with that, but it won't be until after the Navy Matches which run through the 15th.

-Duct tape is like The Force. It has a dark side. It has a light side.
Used correctly, it holds the universe together. Used
incorrectly, it sticks your cat to the wall. -
Old 04-27-2009, 11:20 AM

Using his own weapons and ammo would not be a valid qualification and the score could not be used for awards. That is why I assumed he is looking for info on the scoring IOT practice for an actual qualification attempt.
Old 04-27-2009, 1:19 PM

Actually you can use your own wepons as long as they are in a service caliber. I have done it but the papers were lost in a PCS mover before I could get them turned in. Master chief, I can wait as long as 2 years before I retire...
Old 04-27-2009, 7:09 PM

IAW OPNAVINST 3591.1E "Only government-owned weapons and ammunition will be issued and used by Navy organizations conducting qualifications. Contractor provided equipment and ammunition is acceptable when contracts for qualifications are executed."

and

"Only ammunition issued through the Navy Stock System by the NOLSC shall be used."

and

"Standard issue 9mm ball ammunition shall be used for Qualification on the Navy Handgun Qualification course."

Small arms qualifications (shoots) are to be recorded on OPNAV 3591/1 which must include ship or station, division, weapon(s) fired, range name/location.

I do know of at least one exception to the above and that is for the portions of the PACFLT and the All Navy match that are designated as usable for award purposes.

One could argue that the above doesn't apply if an individual wasn't shooting for a command qualification. I wouldn't accept anything but the above.

Also, qualifying with any weapon other than those that are standard issue, is cheating. I'm sure most shooters could shoot a much better course of fire with, for example, a match grade .45 with match ammo instead of a issue 9mm Baretta.

I'm sure there are hook-ups and back room deals but if there is an instruction I am unaware of, please let me know. Since I only deal in watchstander qualifications, I am bias.

Last edited by vlsgmc; 04-27-2009 at 7:30 PM..
Old 04-28-2009, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlsgmc View Post
IAW OPNAVINST 3591.1E "Only government-owned weapons and ammunition will be issued and used by Navy organizations conducting qualifications. Contractor provided equipment and ammunition is acceptable when contracts for qualifications are executed."

and

"Only ammunition issued through the Navy Stock System by the NOLSC shall be used."

and

"Standard issue 9mm ball ammunition shall be used for Qualification on the Navy Handgun Qualification course."

Small arms qualifications (shoots) are to be recorded on OPNAV 3591/1 which must include ship or station, division, weapon(s) fired, range name/location.

I do know of at least one exception to the above and that is for the portions of the PACFLT and the All Navy match that are designated as usable for award purposes.

One could argue that the above doesn't apply if an individual wasn't shooting for a command qualification. I wouldn't accept anything but the above.

Also, qualifying with any weapon other than those that are standard issue, is cheating. I'm sure most shooters could shoot a much better course of fire with, for example, a match grade .45 with match ammo instead of a issue 9mm Baretta.

I'm sure there are hook-ups and back room deals but if there is an instruction I am unaware of, please let me know. Since I only deal in watchstander qualifications, I am bias.

Ok so I stand corrected. I am supprised though, as the AOCS that did it for me was not known for shady stuff, Thanks for the info.
Old 04-30-2009, 5:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I was going to get qualed last week.....finally. We had the M11's out, plenty of ammo and plenty of targets.

Showed up at the range, and guess what. There wasnt 2 miles of visibility behind the fricken berm. They canceled the shoot.

I am pissed. Pissed because when I went through boot camp, we were shown a picture of a Beretta, pictures of a Mossberg, and shot the stupid laser M16 crap. Now, they do live fire for pistol, and every recruit in the fleet has a pistol ribbon. This wouldnt bother me if they would let the people in the fleet that want to qualify do so. I have been trying to qualify for 8 years tomorrow. I was at the damn range to do it, and they canceled. To top it off, they said they will reschedule the shoot for when the squadron deploys, and do it on the boat. I am not deploying, I am transfering to shore duty in Pensacola.

Maybe some day I will get to.

Could somebody send me the criteria, I would like to see what it is anyway.

Sorry to threadjack Chief, but I needed to vent and it seems we have a similar problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
Over reaction to non-crimes by State loyalists. If they keep up their heavy handed crap, soon it'll be a better gamble to shoot at cops before they even start bothering you considering the amount of time they're willing to put you in prison for if you cooperate.

Seems like that pendulum is about to shift.
Is this your Calguns?

Old 05-03-2009, 6:54 PM

buy the gm's in the armory a case of beer or if you are near a marine base buy the range master a case. worked for me up at pt. mugu while I was on terminal.
Old 05-03-2009, 6:59 PM
Calguns Addict

nah, I know that GM1 over there, he's a dick. me and him dont get along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
Over reaction to non-crimes by State loyalists. If they keep up their heavy handed crap, soon it'll be a better gamble to shoot at cops before they even start bothering you considering the amount of time they're willing to put you in prison for if you cooperate.

Seems like that pendulum is about to shift.
Is this your Calguns?