Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 04-27-2009, 1:24 PM

Racking the slide is usually a matter of training, rather than strength (check out Kathy Jackson's tutorial on corneredcat.com).

I've only met one woman, out of the dozens I've taught to rack the slides on semiautos, who wasn't able to rack the slide--and she was 70 and had arthritis in her hands. She shoots .38 +Ps out of her S&W 19-4 instead.
Old 04-27-2009, 2:41 PM

My wife prefers .223 over 7.62x39 because it's easier with follow up shots. She has no problem racking the slide on my XD9 with her her 120lbs frame
Old 04-27-2009, 4:07 PM
Banned

To the OP, quit yer *****ing!!! Communication is the ability to convey a message. Some people would rather say they are looking for a girl gun than try to explain why they want a 22 pistol for there wife ect.

It's actually people like you that get offended by these statements that give power to them.
Old 04-27-2009, 4:44 PM

Its funny, my ex would ONLY shoot my USPc 45, and nothing else. She did have a P22... but I always suspected it was for comic relief as I cannot ever recall her shooting it.
Old 04-27-2009, 4:58 PM
Veteran Member

My wife gets a .40 and none of that kids stuff.
Old 04-27-2009, 5:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy_clothing View Post
To the OP, quit yer *****ing!!! Communication is the ability to convey a message. Some people would rather say they are looking for a girl gun than try to explain why they want a 22 pistol for there wife ect.
So then whats with the women next to them that they are handing the firearm to and babying them as they hold it? Not for them? If someone wants a 22 for target practice whats wrong with that. if they want it for home defense simply because she is a woman, thats just belittling thier wives/gf
Old 04-27-2009, 5:55 PM
Calguns Addict

wow.. I had a post edited because I said "chick".... but you get to say "douchebags".. interesting

WTS: Gun stuff & things | WTB Chiappa Rhino 9mm 4"
Old 04-27-2009, 6:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog5150 View Post
So then whats with the women next to them that they are handing the firearm to and babying them as they hold it? Not for them? If someone wants a 22 for target practice whats wrong with that. if they want it for home defense simply because she is a woman, thats just belittling thier wives/gf
Naw. A .22 LR pistol is just a "gateway" handgun. After the wifey/GF learns how to shoot the .22, she'll ask for a bigger handgun. Women are logical creatures after all, man.

"But you've got a bigger semi-automatic, honey!" she'll remind you. "Now it's my turn. Let's see, I think I want a .45. No, maybe a 9 mm. Oh, wait a minute. Maybe a .40! Hmmm ... Those .38 revolvers are kinda nice too ... Oh, heck, honey. I think we should let me get all four!"

lol

Can't you just imagine hearing that after a few months of her shooting at the range and demonstrating she's better at hitting the target than you?
Old 04-27-2009, 9:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_this View Post
wow.. I had a post edited because I said "chick".... but you get to say "douchebags".. interesting
I changed it for you. I use that word too much and most of the time I'm not trying to be offensive as I use it a LOT to replace nouns. Kind of like Marlarks from southpark
Old 04-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Guys bring their wives/GF's/etc into the store all the time to buy guns for themselves. They ask all the questions while the wife/gf/etc just sorta stands behind them looking bored.

When they finally decide on something and I start getting them filling out the 4473, one of the things I *ALWAYS* tell/ask them is "And you're taking her out to shoot it FIRST, right?".

The wife/gf always gets the biggest grin on her face while the man sheepishly and embarrassingly answers "oh yeah, yeah.."
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 04-28-2009, 1:36 PM

I would like to apologize for being a man.

That being said, I felt that a .22 was the ideal caliber for my wife to learn to shoot with. She has no real interest in shooting, but I want here to have a basic understanding of safety, and a little marks(wo)manship because there are guns in the house, and always will be. I hope that after some practise she will start to have some fun and ask to try the bigger stuff.

Once again, I am deeply sorry for being a man.

-madmike.

I would like to say something profound here...
Old 04-28-2009, 2:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

lol. you dont understand what I'm saying though. Theres nothing wrong with 22s. The issue lies in the fact that, "my woman needs something to protect herself and the kids. she's a woman (really? did you have to point that out?) so she needs something small for her fragile little tiny hands to handle.(ok that last part was an exageration) Give her a 22. Honey, if you ever have to use it, aim for the crotch and you will shoot the bad guy in the chest. ok?"
Believe it or not, I hear that ALL the time. I believe we are 50 years past that thinking. Women in general can do a lot and why should they have to accept that something physically smaller is better for them?
Example. Our number one opposition in the war for our gun rights are soccar moms. The media tells them that our firearms come to life in the middle of the night and go on a killing and raping spree. The media also tells them that our firearms are children seekers. A lot of these women from an early age are taught that guns are for men. That they dont need to touch them as men are supposed to use them for war or hunt and that women are supposed to gather and cook so a lot of women just dont trust firearms to begin with. We need to educate women and show them that its not just a mans sport. Its an everybodies sport and game and that just because they may physically be smaller, they dont need an NAA mini revolver to protect her children.
Obviously most of this doesnt apply to the women on this board and everyone here on a firearms board more than likely is able to educate thier female counterparts just fine but as with any political battle, ignorance from within is our number one undoing.
I like 22s. I like duty caliber handguns also. I LOVE women. I hate doing one on one instruction with women who shoot for the first time because they end up shooting my 1911 better than me
Old 04-28-2009, 2:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I changed it for you. I use that word too much and most of the time I'm not trying to be offensive as I use it a LOT to replace nouns. Kind of like Marlarks from southpark
funny thing is, I couldn't care less if you use it.. no offense to me. I use 'chick' and never trying to be offensive.. just a word to me no different than 'lady'.. but the mods thought otherwise enough to change it

WTS: Gun stuff & things | WTB Chiappa Rhino 9mm 4"
Old 04-28-2009, 5:31 PM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis8128 View Post
i think all women should have side by side 12 guages for HD. I wouldnt piss her off

GMTA... that was the next thing on my shopping list after my latest ammo order comes in. I shoot pistol matches extensively, but I never had a chance to "meatloaf" a target.

As soon as I finish my incarceration as a juror, I'm going to sign up for a shotgun class. If Elmer Fudd can do it, I supppose I have a chance...
Old 04-28-2009, 9:01 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

shotgun is on my list of next to buy, also.

mz

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 04-29-2009, 3:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Why is it gentleman always come in to the gunstore I work with thier moms, girlfriends, wives and say, "oh I need something for a WOMAN to protect the home. She needs a 22 revolver!" Then cop the biggest attitude with me when I try to explain some other options.
Yeah the 22 doesnt have recoil but neither does most resonable weapons. But hey, I'm just an instructor and a counter jockey. What do I know?
What about the tens of thousands of female soldiers out there who have been taught to shoot an M9 or dating back a few decades the 1911? What about the countless female officers out there who shoot something bigger than a 22?
I know this doesnt apply to ladies here on this forum but if a guy says ,"little lady, you need a mini revolver or a twenty five auto." Kick him in the balls.

Oh yeah. I love how insecure these guys are when they feel they need to speak for thier ladies. Like I ask her a question and he answers for her. Takes the firearm first before she can hold it or never lets her touch it or gets pissed off when I ask her the questions and make eye contact with her instead of him.
If it makes you feel any better, when I realized that my GF only owned a .22LR Single-shot marlin (the really short kiddie one with the wood stock) and a .22LR Beretta Bobcat, I bought her an AR-15 and a S&W Model 340 in .357 Mag..........

/There's no way in hell I'm letting my backup carry a .22LR unless it's the ankle gun that gets used after the primary and secondary and gone!
Old 04-29-2009, 5:58 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYong View Post
If it makes you feel any better, when I realized that my GF only owned a .22LR Single-shot marlin (the really short kiddie one with the wood stock) and a .22LR Beretta Bobcat, I bought her an AR-15 and a S&W Model 340 in .357 Mag..........

/There's no way in hell I'm letting my backup carry a .22LR unless it's the ankle gun that gets used after the primary and secondary and gone!
love it!

mz

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 04-30-2009, 6:12 PM

I accompanied my gf to DROS a Mossberg 500 combo just the other night. .22s are great, but they're recreational more than they are defensical.
Old 04-30-2009, 7:04 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

defensical?! LOVE IT!

mz

Gun Control:
Old 04-30-2009, 8:12 PM

I would think chances are, if a guy is going to the gun store with his girlfriend/wife or whatever and picking something like a .22 out, then that girl probably isn't in law enforcement or military.

I've taken a girl friend out shooting and by far her favorite gun to shoot was my 1911, though she wasn't able to load the magazines or pull the slide back. I suggested she stick with the revolvers for that reason. At first she was kind of taken back but then after the range time she understood.

"Don't steal, the Government hates competition."

Last edited by Tillers_Rule; 04-30-2009 at 8:15 PM..
Old 04-30-2009, 9:31 PM

Okay, I've got to add my two cents in too....

First, I'll forgive any man for being a man - you just can't help it and I totally understand...

As for the guy(s) wanting to get a 22 for his gf/wife/mother because she is a woman for protection and the rest of the story. Well, I'm shaking my head for few reasons - First is that I've been treated like that woman by my ex-husband and I'm the one who got him into shooting. I talked him into getting a 9mm Taurus for home protection. Second is I'm the woman who will walk into a store and be the one eying a pretty piece of work and the guy I'm with is the one who is being talked to about the gun I want. Or not taken seriously when I don't have a guy with me. And third, I've been the woman who had salesmen try and talk me into getting a 22 because I'm a woman. (Yes, I love the look that comes across their face when I tell them what I already have.)

Personally - 22s are great for practices and learning how to shoot. I've had both my older boys taught to shoot on a 22. But (personally) for home protection I prefer either a 12 gauge (love the sound) and/or a 9mm... I like something that is going to give a big punch from a distance. I'll avoid the hand to hand combat if possible - I like keeping my knives clean of human blood.
I have practiced with 22s also but my issues (nasty low left flinch) doesn't show up when I'm shooting a 22.

As a woman, thank you to whom ever said to try and hold the conversation with the woman who the gun is for. It makes us feel more respected and part of the process. If the guy is going to be the type who has to talk for her, my suggestion would be to say something to the effect of "If you are buying her a gun then let's make sure she is comfortable with it and can I interest you in this (point to something super cool) for you too." What better then to politely show respect for the woman and possibly getting more money out of the jerk.
Thanx, Stormy, growl away!
Grrrrrrrrrr!
Old 05-01-2009, 11:28 AM
C3 Leader

Ditto. On the topic of ex-husbands, it figures. Thank goodness we have the ability to upgrade in that area -- just like guns!
Old 05-01-2009, 3:43 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyrlp10 View Post
Ditto. On the topic of ex-husbands, ....... Thank goodness we have the ability to upgrade in that area -- just like guns!
amen!

mz

Gun Control:
Old 05-04-2009, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyrlp10 View Post
Ditto. On the topic of ex-husbands, it figures. Thank goodness we have the ability to upgrade in that area -- just like guns!
Goes both ways... My ex-wife hated guns and motorcycles... I have both, and upgraded tremendously with wife.2 She not only has her own guns, but also has two motorcycles.

This is my first post in this area since I am not female. I've stayed away since I thought it was reserved. This topic just caught my attention. Anyway, back on topic.

The reason most "guys" feel they have to talk for the woman, etc goes back to providing for and protecting their family. (right or wrong, or way out of sync with current situations) Just the way it is. They may also feel that the idiot guy behind the counter will talk over her head (in some cases), just to show what a ***** he is. (gotta admit that happens too)

I used to teach the Motorcycle Safety Program classes. I can't count the number of times couples came to class and I had to separate them. Usually pulling each aside to have "the talk". With him;"shut the F up... she has to go home with you and if you are telling her what to do while I'm telling her something different, it's going to get us both pissed off at you!!! She doesn't have to go home with me, let me be the bad guy and tell her her mistakes, and you be the good guy and give her praise for doing well, and listen when she vents about the strict teacher" With her;"I need you to listen to me... I'm the one that will be administering the test, and will pass or fail you. I will not tell you that he is right or wrong, I don't know, or have the time in class to work that out. I can tell you that in most cases, long time riders come here and learn new things. Also, if he just backs off a bit, you will have a happier home life in the end." It didn't help that these classes were taught on Honda 250 Rebels and Nighthawks. Our class even had to tell John Elway to go sit down!!! Yes, THAT John Elway.

All of that being said... I use the step method. I start EVERY new shooter with a .22. A Ruger 22/45 or Mark II. When they realize they don't need to be afraid of the bang, they can learn the basics of sight picture, etc. Then move up to a 9mm. If they do OK, and want to move up, I go to a .45. Each step is only if they want to. Just like with motorcycles, there is no reason to scare someone on purpose.

I don't understand the mentality of giving someone a 2" air-lite with 357 magnum rounds loaded for their first shots any more than putting a new rider on the back of a 185 horsepower GSXR1000 as their first ride, or for that matter put them on the back and do 150+ popping wheelies just to scare them.

I sometimes help host mixers/social events at the local indoor range. (focused on introducing women to shooting) For the guy that knows everything and just won't shut up... I'm happy to offer him a Garand, M1a or 12ga loaded with slugs. With fair warning of course.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Why is it gentleman always come in to the gunstore I work with thier moms, girlfriends, wives and say, "oh I need something for a WOMAN to protect the home. She needs a 22 revolver!" Then cop the biggest attitude with me when I try to explain some other options.
Yeah the 22 doesnt have recoil but neither does most resonable weapons. But hey, I'm just an instructor and a counter jockey. What do I know?
What about the tens of thousands of female soldiers out there who have been taught to shoot an M9 or dating back a few decades the 1911? What about the countless female officers out there who shoot something bigger than a 22?
I know this doesnt apply to ladies here on this forum but if a guy says ,"little lady, you need a mini revolver or a twenty five auto." Kick him in the balls.

Oh yeah. I love how insecure these guys are when they feel they need to speak for thier ladies. Like I ask her a question and he answers for her. Takes the firearm first before she can hold it or never lets her touch it or gets pissed off when I ask her the questions and make eye contact with her instead of him.

No way i would want my girl using a .22 for protection, thats just silly. what if she has to protect me from some crazed burglar, or drive-way car jacker. Man i sure would feel good knowing my girls coming out blazing with the .22
Old 05-04-2009, 4:06 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter158 View Post
I don't understand the mentality of giving someone a 2" air-lite with 357 magnum rounds loaded for their first shots ......
agreed: in fact, having done that i almost didn't pick up a gun again. however, i was renting guns and didn't know any better at the time......but i learned fast. i wouldn't own one even now with all the .357's i own and now shooting a .45acp......

mz

Gun Control:
Old 05-04-2009, 4:43 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
agreed: in fact, having done that i almost didn't pick up a gun again. however, i was renting guns and didn't know any better at the time......but i learned fast. i wouldn't own one even now with all the .357's i own and now shooting a .45acp......

mz
I went out shooting with my buddy on the night he picked up his S&W Airlight/Airweight .357 snubby. It was the model with the titanium cylinder, the extra-lightweight one.

It was NOT FUN to shoot. It was like having a concussion grenade going off in my hand every single time. Even .38 specials were not fun.

I even enjoy shooting big crazy dangerous stuff. But this is one gun that I just don't ever want to shoot again or ever own.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 05-04-2009, 4:49 PM
Banned

I actually think guns like this can cause nerve damage in hands if shot extensively with hot ammo, seriously.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:09 PM

I took my lady friend, former ex to ta local gun shop. I recommended the XD .40 Compact and the salesman handed her a .22 instead.
Old 05-07-2009, 6:53 AM

My 125lbs wife loves her 10mm Dan Wesson bobtail.
Old 05-07-2009, 8:16 AM

HAHA! I can relate to all of this. I'm cracking up reading it. First time my BF and I went to the local gun store, they only spoke to him. He plainly told them "it's her gun - ask her". Then they showed me some "dainty" guns without a lot of kick and that "wouldn't hurt me". When I tell them I can shoot a 454 just fine their eyes get big and they dont know how to respond. LMAO! I actually find it funny but I feel sorry for the women that let their "significant others" make all of their handgun decisions for them and tell them what they should be shooting. IMHO, a handgun is a very personal choice. My oppinion to new women shooters: keep trying different guns (even if you just pick it up for feel and don't even shoot it at first) to see what feels the most natural and comfortable in your hands. Then shoot the ones that you like most and make your decision from there. I think that if more gun shops had knowledgeable female employees, their gun sales would probably go up if a female felt she could go in a store and feel comfortable.
Old 05-07-2009, 9:54 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by compsoftstation View Post
I took my lady friend, former ex to ta local gun shop. I recommended the XD .40 Compact and the salesman handed her a .22 instead.
at least you tried!

mz

Gun Control:
Old 05-07-2009, 3:59 PM

I do have to say that there is one gun shop I refuse to deal with because I can't get the time of day even if I'm the only one in the store. I actually bought a gun from them a long time ago and dealt with a salesperson who is no longer there. The last time I was there I had to really be pretty aggressive to get any help at all, and even then they weren't interested in talking with me at all. The treated me about like a homeless guy might get treated when he asks to test drive a brand new BMW. Then in comes two guys and the staff immediately turn all attention to them to them. I walked out and will never go back.

The shop I currently deal with I was unsure of at first since my first trip there was with my husband. At first they just talked with him, but once they realized I knew what I was talking about too, they warmed right up. I actually get better service when I'm there alone. Some there still have the tendency to direct their attention to hubby when we are together. Maybe it's that I already know what I'm looking for, and hubby has to ask a lot of questions. The first time we were there, we were looking at two handguns and mentioned we'd get them both. The guy says "you can only buy one every 30 days." I responded "yup, per person. I'm buying one, he's buying the other."
Old 05-08-2009, 12:08 AM

I have to admit us men are retarded sometimes and we need our women to warm us up!
Old 05-09-2009, 12:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by compsoftstation View Post
I have to admit us men are retarded sometimes and we need our women to warm us up!
Totally
I enjoy women in the sport. Especially cute ones since (especially here in cali) women tend to think your a serial killer or a wierdo when they find out your into guns
Old 05-09-2009, 6:17 PM

Quote:
women tend to think your a serial killer or a wierdo when they find out your into guns
You're not?!?!

It's OK though. I can relate. Men who don't have any guns pee a little when they find out how many I own.
Old 05-09-2009, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclemom View Post
You're not?!?!

It's OK though. I can relate. Men who don't have any guns pee a little when they find out how many I own.
Even better is when you proceed to school them on gun related info.
Old 05-09-2009, 7:33 PM

Quote:
When I was dating my ex wife, she mentioned that she enjoyed shooting so we had something in common. We agreed to go to a local indoor range (handguns only), I took my only handgun, a HP 9mm she brought a S&W model 29 .44 magnum 6 inch barrel. I did fell inadequate for about three minutes

added later

I forgot to add the she probably is still a better shot than I am both handgun and long guns.

You should banish any thoughts of how you may appear to others.
Marcus Aurelius

"I won't be wronged, I wont be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
the "Duke" in the shootist

Last edited by 4 Brigada; 05-09-2009 at 7:38 PM..
Old 05-10-2009, 7:25 AM

I went to front sight firearms training institute and this couple was there. At the end we get to practice are new skills on a steel target competition. She had a .380 per her husbandís advice. She was a great shot and hit the targets very quickly but the .380 would not knock them down so she lost. If she would have had at least a 9mm she would have gone the distance with her quick acquisition and accuracy. Boy the look she gave her husband! I bet his ride home to California was rough! Men, do not underestimate the ladies. Most are naturally very good shots. Unless they specifically want a very small caliber donít purposely steer them in that direction.

Happy Mothers Day to all the Calguns Moms!
Old 05-22-2009, 8:46 PM

When I need to kill a snake or a gopher I always get my wife, she is a much better shot!