Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 11-25-2008, 2:22 AM
Veteran Member

Default Guns marketed at females

Any of you own one? I mean stuff that factories put out in hopes of attracting female purchasers. Such as the Ladysmith line by S&W or some of the guns Colt has put out like the Lady Elite .380acp pistol.

I'd own a Ladysmith marked gun at the right price, I like the ladies but I have met guys that say they would never own one!

There was actually a gun in .45-70 caliber marketed as the Ladies Home Companion,lol!

There is even women specific long guns. Mossberg made a .410 pump shotgun that was marketed as a womens home defense weapon. Some came with a laser attachment. A woman I was a good friend with, her husband bought her one.

High Standard and others have made guns with anodized aluminum frames in colors like pink and turquoise for the ladies market.
.45acp .45LC 6.5Carcano 7.7Japanese 7.62x54r 6.5Swede,6.5x54r
.30-40Krag 7.5French 8x57Mauser .223Rem 7.62x39 .410bore .30-30
20ga 12ga .303British 8x56r 7.5x55Swiss .30-06...
Old 11-25-2008, 8:57 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

no, don't own a specific marketed to women type gun but not opposed to it. interested in the smith 3913 that was marketed to women but would have to find it used as its no longer made.

good topic: would like to see a comprehensive list of such guns.

movie zombie

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buy a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 11-25-2008, 11:06 AM

Smith and Wesson has offers the 442,637,638,642 models with factory pink grips marketed towards the ladies.

All nice guns.

Old 11-25-2008, 5:39 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

not interested in the pink grips....more interested in a good fit for my hand.

movie zombie

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buy a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 11-25-2008, 6:03 PM
Veteran Member

S&W has a M&P pistol with a pink grip insert and some of the proceeds go to breast cancer research IIRC. I'd like that ladysmith 3913 as well. I think the grip was slightly slimmer and S&W marketed a version as the 3913NL as well for the makes, not Ladysmith!

A list fo all these guns would be tough but I listed a lot of them in my 1st post.

FIE made a derringer with a rose inlaid in the grips. They also have an EAA .380 with like a gold slide that was marketed towards women as two more examples.
Old 11-25-2008, 7:04 PM

Default Sig Mosquito

I saw a very nice Sig Mosquito with pink anodized frame recently, looked pretty sharp, it was at Bay Area Gun Vault in Mountain View.

I have one of the Ladysmith grips (the pink one) on my wife's gun, and it is actually very comfortable for both ladies and guys.
Old 11-25-2008, 9:30 PM

I have to agree with movie zombie. It has to be easy to use and not feel uncomfortable to shoot. But I think the inlaid rose would be pretty.
"I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." --Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906), speech in San Franscisco, July 1871

NRA Life Member
Old 11-25-2008, 9:42 PM
Veteran Member

I know a female firearms instructor who bought a S&W revolver that's made for women. It's the one with the wooden grips. Very nice. Even got to fire it. I think it's a .38.

Doubt I'd get a woman-specific gun. The pistols and revolver I've bought I liked on seeing and touching (have four now). And though I like pink, I'd rather have a pistol with wooden grips and be all shiny steel or partly shiny steel or all plastic black polymer. If it's going to be in color, I'd rather see some blood red mixed in with the black.

Marketing handguns to women using pink reminds me of how motorcycle gear makers think women want gear only in powder blue or pretty pink. No thanks! Motorists don't see those colors as much as they notice red, yellow and white.

Last edited by masameet; 11-25-2008 at 9:45 PM..
Old 11-25-2008, 9:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i wish s&w would make one of those adt type commercials but instead of an alarm going off she pulls a gun and shoots the guy who kicks in the door
Old 11-26-2008, 6:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I would buy a ladies home companion in a heartbeat!!!! 14 rounds of 45/70 is nothing to sneeze at in a pistol

Subscribe to Proto Ordnance
Old 11-26-2008, 9:45 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I like the color pink... But I tend to gravitate towards a couple key factors. 1) low recoil, 2)simple design. I don't want something that takes an hour to take apart and clean. 3) Fun to shoot. If it's going to jam, requires a 600 round break in, or balks at cheap ammo, I don't want it.
Old 12-04-2008, 6:30 AM

While not marketed directly for ladies, there are 2 pistols that I have seen work well in smaller hands sizes. Springfield XD and S&W M&P. I work pt in a local gunshop, plus shoot more than a little local competitions, I have seen a lot of new shooters struggle with pistols with grips that were just too large to get a comfortable positive grip.
When my son, then 10, wanted to compete with me, we looked at everything out there. The only one then that fit the bill was the XD, we settled on a XD-9. Since then, when I see someone, male or female, needing a smaller grip, I get them onto the XD's. The M&P grip size is looking pretty good now as well, the first one I played with a few years ago had some serious reliability issue, but these have been addressed and the guns work well and fit a large variety of hands very well. The M&P uses different sized inserts on the back of the grip to work with different hand sizes.
These aren't just for the ladies, these are for any shooter who needs the smaller grip size.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:37 PM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
i wish s&w would make one of those adt type commercials but instead of an alarm going off she pulls a gun and shoots the guy who kicks in the door

Ditto... I'd like the woman to tell the 911 operator to send an ambulance and forget the cops because the job's been done!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:43 AM

It's all in the marketing...Don't get me wrong I think that it is great to market to different "target" groups but sometime by marking something "Ladies" the cost is marked up a bit too..But I'm more inclined to agree with RobArms comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobArms View Post
I like the color pink... But I tend to gravitate towards a couple key factors. 1) low recoil, 2)simple design. I don't want something that takes an hour to take apart and clean. 3) Fun to shoot. If it's going to jam, requires a 600 round break in, or balks at cheap ammo, I don't want it.
My hands are a bit bigger then the size of a marketing "typical woman" size. I have found that I like the compacts better. How something fits your hands (marked "ladies" or not) should be your first factor.
As for the color - you can alway customize it to your liking...Pink is okay but I want black with red accents...
Old 12-08-2008, 2:07 AM
Veteran Member

H&R/NEF also made the lady ultra revolver in .32mag, another one I remember.
Old 12-08-2008, 6:29 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

and while not specifically made for women, i think the smaller calibre .22, .25, and .32 with the popup barrel were marketed to women as being small and easy to conceal.

movie zombie

Gun Control:
Old 12-09-2008, 8:30 PM

I always wonder who on earth manufactures hire to market to women. While I like pink more than most people (those of you who know me IRL knows this well), I don't think making something pink will gravitate anyone to make a decision. Only time it does is when it's a gift to someone like a pink Ruger 10/22 for a little girl's first rifle.

Everyone who knows anything already knows to buy for fit and function as primary reason. I believe if the mft really want to take the extra efforts, they'd think of better customization options similar to the idea of a SIG p250, but take it one step further where the mobile phone industry had taken. It had exploded to a huge industry of it's own.

For example, a grip module that also allows skinning of sort with a selection of user installable materials.

this of course would not only interest women, but everyone else too.. who doesnt like to personalize their guns? Look at all the guys with the cheese grater AR's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaw View Post
I'm Greek and I don't even understand it fully..
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia
The AK, Millions of wannabe warlords cannot be wrong!
Old 12-10-2008, 1:35 PM
Veteran Member

Default Comment on Women's guns.

My shoots tend to have 30 to 50 percent female participation.

I usually bring many different models of handguns with me since most are new shooters.

I bring along a few 22 cal pistols, but mostly 9mm, 40cal and 45 cal.

Most people leave the 22 fairly quickly, the favorite pistols seem to be my Sig P226 and my CZ 75, both in 9mm.

Although many fear the 45, once people try it, first comments are it is a heavy gun, but after a few shots, most say it wasn't as bad as they feared.

My concern with most guns I see advertised to women is they tend to be light weight, short barrels and light weight.

Many lightweight guns have felt recoils that match heavy magnum handguns in perception, as least to me.

That makes them unpleasant to shoot. If they are unpleasant to shoot, it discourages practice.

In a self defense situation, you will react and if you are ill preparred, the results could be disastrous.

The gun makers should not follow in the footsteps of shoemakers who make fashionable shoes that destroy your feet.

A gun should be viewed as a self defense tool first, if it can be a fashion accessory, I am okay with that.

The female gun market is new ground for gun makers and hopefully they will not follow in the footsteps of shoe designers in designing products for women.

Guns marketed as self defense arms should be reliable, ergonomically designed for intended market and of sufficient caliber to do the job.

For semi autos I like 9mm, 40 cal and 45ACP.

Nicki
Old 12-10-2008, 2:43 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
and while not specifically made for women, i think the smaller calibre .22, .25, and .32 with the popup barrel were marketed to women as being small and easy to conceal.

movie zombie
And what a terrible idea, too.

Most guns marketed towards women do either one of two things:

1.) "sexy" up an otherwise normal gun with things like pink grips
2.) market a tiny little powerful gun and market it as light and easily concealable.

Both of these, in and of themselves, are the wrong approach (in my MALE opinion).

What the firearms industry needs to realize and take into account are the fundamental physical differences between males and females. Women are built differently, and so they need guns that take this into account.

Women have a smaller and weaker skeletal structure, and especially have weaker wrists than men. Because of this they need guns that reduce and soften not only the overall felt recoil, but the actual recoil impulse. Sharper and shorter recoil impulses are not good for the female's wrist. You need a longer recoil impulse (like a .45 vs 9mm) to make the gun more pleasant to shoot.

Only after the industry has figured that out, should they start offering guns with pink grips.

Before she got her own 1911, my girlfriend could shoot my 1911 all day long in .45 without any strain on her wrists. She couldn't last more than a box of ammo on my friends 92fs in 9mm. The overall recoil is basically the same, but the impulse of the 9mm is much sharper, so it batters the female wrist in ways that the .45 doesn't. It seems backwards, but sometimes bigger IS better
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 01-21-2009, 10:09 PM

I own a Beretta in 32 cal with the pop up barrel. My wife complained how big and heavy our home defense shotgun is and wanted something smaller. She loves her pistol. The pop up barrel is what sold me. Without it I would have probably bought a revolver for her instead.
Old 01-22-2009, 7:26 AM

The grip size on the 1911 and CZ75 seem to do well for female shooters, in my experience. And since they're all steel (and relatively soft recoiling, anyway), those two typically are well-liked by the girls I've taken to the range.
Old 02-03-2009, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
no, don't own a specific marketed to women type gun but not opposed to it. interested in the smith 3913 that was marketed to women but would have to find it used as its no longer made.

good topic: would like to see a comprehensive list of such guns.

movie zombie

Hi Movie Zombie,
You have great taste.
The S&W 3913/3914 are my favorite 9mm single-stacks.
Here are some photos of my 3913 and 3914.

586L-Frame

My S&W 3914 & 3913.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

x
Old 02-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

thanks, 586 L-frame!

got to hold one today! and i liked it! may buy it........have another lead on a 3913 tactical i'm following up on.

i'm beginning to think i'm just a smith junkie..........

movie zombie

Gun Control:
Old 03-02-2009, 12:06 PM

I don't own, nor have I been tempted to own, any of the guns marketed to women. My main concerns in buying a gun is something that is practical for my uses, and fit in my hand nicely. Plus, I'm not a fan of pink

My handguns are a Ruger P345, and XD 40S&W Subcompact. I'm actively shopping for the next one
Old 03-03-2009, 12:26 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

ditto re pink and it must fit my hand well!

i'm in the 10-day waiting period for my new to me Colt Mark IV Officers .45acp.........and i can't help myself from looking at the for sale ads here at pricescope......glad its not just me!

mz

Gun Control:
Old 03-12-2009, 1:42 PM

I'm not a pink fan at all. My concern is fit and trigger reach, as I have a smaller hand than most men, but that's it.
Congrats on the new Colt, MZ!
Old 03-12-2009, 1:49 PM

I would not buy a pink gun at full price but if I came across a awesome deal one a pink gun I would pick it up and probably would leave it as is.

I still use my ex-girlfriend's pink ipod because no matter which way you cut it.......free is free.
Old 03-12-2009, 3:18 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

thanks, Nemo! i finally picked it up on monday!

now to clean it, buy ammunition and get to a range!

mz

ps i don't think i could bring myself to buy a pink gun....unless it was only grips and i could change those out. however, an orange gun might be hard to resist!

Gun Control:
Old 04-12-2009, 8:53 PM

Well I just bought an HK USP compact 9mm today. I have to say that while its not the smallest grip in the world it is a nice fit. Not too heavy and a slide that moves as smooth as butter. The one I got is stainless steel on top and black grip. I will definitely post a picture of it when i get it. I get to pick it up on the 22nd. That seems so very far away right now LOL.
Old 04-22-2009, 7:59 PM
Veteran Member

This is an interesting topic. If I were female, I think I would be irate at a manufacturer who marketed a product line specifically towards a female demographic by simply including pink furniture on the firearms.

That's a rather insulting assumption to make. That simply making it "pink" makes it a "ladies" choice.

As has been mentioned in this thread, there are a whole list of differences that could be attributed to successful products marketed towards women. Lets face the facts, women have different ergonomic requirements than men. Instead of slapping "pink grips" on a firearm, I'd like to see some firearms designed specifically to accommodate female ergonomics.

My mom and my best friends wife have much difficulty due to this. Finding pistols that fit their hands and are comfortable to shoot (re: low recoil, or controlled recoil) is a time consuming tasks.

Maybe if the ladies of calguns could put together a list of firearms that they feel have the requisite ergonomics and meet the recoil control issues? Just simply listing firearms that you all feel comfortable with (and ones that you don't) would be great for other beginning and novice female shooters looking into new handgun purchases.

I for one would appreciate very much such a list so that I when I purchase handguns in the future, I could do so with the intent of purchasing ones that would be most likely enjoyable to shoot for my mother and other female friends.