Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 02-02-2009, 3:28 PM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default PURCHASED a pistol! update re: ? for Annie. others feel free to chime in also.

so, Annie, i've got all the revolvers i want....and now am thinking about going for a pistol...... i need something that fits a smaller hand. this is not for home defense....but could become a trunk gun for safety when i'm out and about. suggestions?

i'm considering a smith 3913 at this point in time......9 mm. but open to checking out other pistols.

mz

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt

Last edited by movie zombie; 02-23-2009 at 5:22 PM.. Reason: update
Old 02-02-2009, 3:35 PM
Veteran Member

I'm chiming in. Check out a CZ75B. I don't have big hands and it feels like an extension of my body.

"We are number one, all others are number two or lower." - The Sphinx

"Why does every discussion of culture always degrade into a discussion of burritos?" - GoZoner
Old 02-02-2009, 4:24 PM

My fiancee at the time almost bought a lady smith. Nice pistols. She went for a Sig P239 (single stack 9mm). I think you are going to have the most luck with single stack 9s. The only double stack I remember her liking the feel of was the Walther P99.
Old 02-02-2009, 4:59 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

so far based on recommendations this is my list for consideration:

CZ P-01
CZ 75 SP-01
CZ 75 compact
Kahr elete?
Sig P239
CZ75B
s&w 3913LS or tactical

i'm not into plastic and would prefer real metal or at least some allow.

mz

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 02-02-2009, 8:51 PM

HK P7 or P7M8
SIG P225 or P6

I have not tried one of these, but it is on the roster:
Springfield Armory 1911 EMP (9mm)
Old 02-02-2009, 9:31 PM

My wife loves her FN FiveseveN. It has virtually no kick and is a very effective round.

Last edited by AKman; 02-03-2009 at 1:55 PM.. Reason: Sometimes I write like an illiterate 'tard.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:37 PM

The EMP keeps bugging me. I thought I was going to buy one for her, but now that we're not together I think I may just buy it for myself. Can't go wrong with a 1911 pattern pistol.

Zombie, what kind of trigger action/style are you most comfortable with? That may play a large role after the actual size of the pistol.
Old 02-03-2009, 5:33 AM

try shooting the Bersa Thunder .380... 9mm short - good bullets are available...
Old 02-03-2009, 6:21 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

i currently use revolvers of the .38/.357 flavor in my smiths models 60 [snubbie], 19 [snubbie], and 66....and am comfortable shooting double action. the 60 and 66 are stainless, the 19 blue metal. hence, my preference for metals! not a fan of the light/air weights at all.

hope that helps.

mz

eta: have added your suggestions to my list which now reads:

CZ P-01
CZ 75 SP-01
CZ 75 compact
Kahr elete
Sig P239
CZ75B
HK P7 or P7M8
SIG P225 or P6
FN FiveseveN
EMP 1911

may bet to a gun shop today and be able to start eliminating by feel in the hand. hopefully, i'll then be able to find a range with rentals for the ones that do fit my hand! keep the suggestions coming and/or tell me why you agree/disagree with a recommendation.

Gun Control:

Last edited by movie zombie; 02-03-2009 at 6:25 AM..
Old 02-03-2009, 9:11 AM

My wife had a LadySmith 3913 9mm but couldn't get it accurate enough.
Sold it and went with a CZ75 Compact. She loves it.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:30 AM

The first pistol I ever learned to shoot was the M1911A1, .45 caliber. The first shot really surprised me, but it was easy to get used to. Then when the Army began using the M9, which I believe everyone refers to as the Baretta 92F, I familiarized myself with it, but the grips were kind of big. I now have a Springfield Armory XD subcompact 9mm, and I like it although there are some minor draw backs to it. Except for the Smith and Wesson M&P, I haven't really looked into any other pistols. Katie and I went to lunch at Bass Pro one day and I showed her some of the guns they have to offer, but I think she's going to go with the XD also. She hasn't really decided yet.
"I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." --Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906), speech in San Franscisco, July 1871

NRA Life Member
Old 02-03-2009, 10:16 PM

Here are 3 more single stack 9mms that I have tried and liked:

Browning Hi-Power
S&W 952
SIG P210

The FNH 5.7 pistol does not meet your stated specs (9mm, and metal, not plastic). It is not a single stack so the grip is fatter. I put about 300 rounds through one (and also through the FNH PS90 which uses the same cartridge.) Also got to clean one - modular, easy to take apart with no tools.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would not recommend a SIG P225/P6 due to the trigger.

My girlfriend swears by her Glock 34 though. I know, I know, plastic.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatz View Post
try shooting the Bersa Thunder .380... 9mm short - good bullets are available...
I second the Bersa Thunder. I'd get 9mm instead of .380 because ammo is cheaper.

What do you mean a trunk gun for safety? Wouldn't it have to be unloaded? I live in the Santa Cruz area and I don't think LE around here is forgiving about anything but people smoking weed, won't they jam you up if they find it? Maybe you're a cop, I don't know. Anyway, get the Bersa, very good for it's price.

BDD
Old 02-04-2009, 8:54 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.D.Dubloon View Post
I second the Bersa Thunder. I'd get 9mm instead of .380 because ammo is cheaper.

What do you mean a trunk gun for safety? Wouldn't it have to be unloaded? I live in the Santa Cruz area and I don't think LE around here is forgiving about anything but people smoking weed, won't they jam you up if they find it? Maybe you're a cop, I don't know. Anyway, get the Bersa, very good for it's price.

BDD
i drive to the central valley to visit my parents...2.5 hours one way and if i'm coming home late at night, i'd like to have something in the trunk...unloaded, of course. of course, legally, i could have the unloaded gun on the passenger seat [open carry, not concealed] and the ammo locked but near by...or reverse it. i've been broken down on the highway at night in and i tell you as a female i'd like to know i had something nearby should i need it.

i handled a bersa .380 and was impressed with it. fit my hand and seemed well made. checking online it appears the 9mm is a bit different in style/form/grip/look. i'd like to see a 9mm and see if it fits as well. yes, checking online the 9mm is certainly a less expensive shooting round!

and i'm also thinking i must be crazy 'cause i have revolvers and theoretically i could use my model 60 snubbie [only 5 shots] in the same manner....with much more effect ammo.

mz

Gun Control:
Old 02-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

I'd go with a revolver you already have, but I am pretty paranoid towards worst case scenarios. Less chance of a jam or cycling problem, but I've never heard of a Bersa having a fte or ftf. If you get the .380 acp, I have a box of ammo (52 rounds actually) I'll sell you for ten bucks as I don't have a gun for it. Don't know where in Santa Cruz area you are but I am in Scotts Valley so we can't be too far away.

BDD
Old 02-04-2009, 6:19 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

thanks, BDD! another reason i'm not keen on the .380 is the cost of the ammo....9mm is much cheaper.

i guess i just need to do some more research. i will admit that i have developed gun lust and its not that i need another gun.....its that i WANT another gun!

mz

ps after reading some of the info re surviving in argentina after they're economic collapse, i'm not so sure that a revolver is enough.......and i'm absolutely certain a .380 pistol won't be.

Gun Control:
Old 02-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

so, i have an update and await any comments. spent some time handling more pistols and have found that these fit my hand:

CZ 75B
Kimber Royal II
Springfield Armory 1911-A1 GI style
Sig-Sauer P-239
Browning HiPower 9mm
Kimber Stainless TLE/RL .45acp

any feedback?

some are single action, some double action, some both. any advantages to consider?

i have yet to fire a .45acp or 9mm so am unsure still re recoil. but i'm getting excited, especially since these are full metal frames which is what i want.

mz

Gun Control:

Last edited by movie zombie; 02-14-2009 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: spelling error; changed spend to spent
Old 02-14-2009, 11:52 AM

You can get a .22 LR conversion kits for 1911 and CZ 75 for some cheap plinking. (The kits are not so cheap, though!)

You can even get a revolver in 45 ACP and use moonclips.

Find a range or Calgunner where you can try before you buy.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:52 PM

I purchased a sig 228 9mm for myself and ended up giving it to my gf for a graduation gift. We both of have small hands (insert joke here) and she loves it. It's small and fairly compact, double stack, all metal.

She shoots IDPA with it. She said the weight of the pistol to the force of the recoil is manageable. It fits well in her hand and she has had virtually no fte or cycling problems with it.

We normally put 200-500 rounds every other week through our firearms between cleaning.
Old 02-14-2009, 1:05 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

yes, i could get another revolver, this time in .45acp......but i want a semi-auto in some flavor and .45acp or 9mm is what i've narrowed it down to.

next part of the research plan is rentals at a range.

any advantages to SA only, DA only, or SA and DA combined? with my revolvers i've preferred SA/DA capability.

mz

Gun Control:
Old 02-14-2009, 8:12 PM

OK, here's my opinion.

I like SA semi-autos best because a consistent light trigger feel and shooting cadence is important to me. This is different than DA/SA revolvers because you can stay in one shooting rhythm until you choose to change. I think I would prefer a DAO to a DA/SA for this reason, having that heavy first trigger pull followed by light trigger pulls is not what I am used to. I like triggers that swing on a pivot (like CZ or SW 952) a bit better than 1911 triggers which slide back because they feel more like revolver triggers, which is what I learned on. I know other people who prefer the feel of 1911 triggers instead.

Also, I like things that are simple to operate. The decocker is just one more thing to remember.

But training works wonders, if you train enough you can make anything practically second nature. So choose what suits you best, then shoot lots!
Old 02-14-2009, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghideon View Post
The EMP keeps bugging me. I thought I was going to buy one for her, but now that we're not together I think I may just buy it for myself. Can't go wrong with a 1911 pattern pistol.

Zombie, what kind of trigger action/style are you most comfortable with? That may play a large role after the actual size of the pistol.

I bought an EMP for my wife... nice....
Old 02-14-2009, 10:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The wife loves her SP-01; for what you're seeking the CZ75b sounds well-suited. Between it and the Hi-Power (with a similar grip feel, to both of us), you could have quite a bit of work done to a CZ and have a few dollars left over. A 1911 in .40 is her second choice, but day after day she'll lean to her CZ in 9mm.

BTW, what part of the valley? Both of us were born in Hanford; I grew up near Sanger/Kingsburg and we have some family in Clovis and Madera.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 02-15-2009, 7:28 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

pax, thanks for the food for thought re trigger pull......

and, wildhawker, well, now, that raises a question: what kind of work would i have done to a CZ? i assume something with the trigger.......obviously, i haven't been paying enough attention re semi-autos over in the handgun thread!

mz

modesto/stockton area..........hot summer days cooling off with delta breezes at night except in august when it was hotter than hades. and tule fog, killer tule fog. don't miss it! grew up in the country though on 10 acres which was certainly a benefit.

mz

Gun Control:
Old 02-15-2009, 2:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I hear you on the country, it was a benefit in so many respects. That fog... geesh, sometimes I would have to hang my head out the window just to see the striping of the road. Not fun. And what could be better than 110 in the afternoon and 99.9 at night? I guess the delta does help, we just never got them farther down in the valley.

I think it could be said for most that a trigger job and reliability work would be the thing to do. You can usually find a nice used CZ for $400-500 here (new for a ~couple hundred more) and about $200 in work later have a really nice piece (don't take this to mean that stock is unreliable, far from it). Angus Hobdell at http://czcustom.com/index.aspx is the CZ guru amongst the IPSC crowd, but Frank at Irvington Arms is a capable smith for the CZs as well, and local. Not trying to dissuade you from the other options- all your options are good ones and worthy of consideration. The CZ's DA/SA trigger can be replaced with SA only pretty inexpensively (~$60-80) if you don't adjust to the DA/SA; it took her a few range sessions before my wife was comfortable with it herself, but she only shoots DA/SA in IPSC unless she's specifically practicing first shot DA w/ round chambered (if you're storing the mag away from the firearm, when you load and chamber it will be SA at that point anyway). This may come down more to your preference in cartridge, .45 vs. 9mm.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 02-23-2009, 5:26 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

well, i did it. i met CenterX last saturday and fired several of his .45acp's and purchased his Colt Officres Mark IV Series 80..... loved it. however, everyone has made such good suggestions that i'm afraid if i enjoy this one as much as i think i will, i might buy another.

i learned a lot meeting him and firing his kimber and kahr: 1-the kimber felt big in my hand when i fired it. 2-the kahr while fitting my hand very well attacked me! yes, the shells ejected in such a way that they kept hitting my head and in one case one hit just right/wrong [depending upone one's point of view] and gave me a small cut on the forehead. i also hated the trigger on the kahr so i now know that just 'cause i can fire a .45acp, i may not be able to handle some depending on more than just the design of the grip.

thanks for everyone's help!

mz

Gun Control:
Old 02-23-2009, 11:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Awesome, and nice choice!

Now you have to come shoot the PPC at Reed's with the wife, monday nights at 6pm.

Old 02-24-2009, 4:37 AM

I thought that Colt was a beautiful gun... nice choice!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

thanks, guys! i'm excited.

wildhawker, its possible......at some point down the road.

mz

Gun Control:
Old 04-12-2009, 9:12 PM

Well I know this is probably WAY LATE. I just bought an HK USP Compact 9mm. I fell in love with it from first hold. The grip is a good fit. Slide works smooth as butter and the trigger pull is easy. It is a single action/double action gun so you have options. Now keep in mind that I have one arm that doesn't work all that great so I had to find a pistol that was going to let me pull back the slide which I can even with my bad arm.

Also like the fact that the magazine release is on both sides of the trigger card which gives me more options to use. This is also one of the few guns that I could have the flip the safety to the other side if I needed them to which is a good thing too. But my stronger hand is the left so I am not going to worry about switching it. My second choice was going to be the Sig SP2022 which is just a nice gun too. The grip was a tad wider though, that and it was a bit harder to disassemble to clean which sort of ruined it. Although I think I may go get one of those when I have a bit more money to play with. The third choice was going to be the Glock 17. Which was the cheapest of the choices but in the end I went with the one that felt the best in my hand. Which considering its going to Front Sight in September and being shot a lot then and hopefully a lot before then comfort was a good thing.