Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 08-20-2018, 3:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarchitect View Post
Personally, I'm just not looking to shoot a match. A match is not training. A match is competition. I'm looking for trainings. I'm a Cal Poly alumni. I still have some friends in SLO. I know of one amazing range in SLO. But I don't know of any trainings offered there.

I would make a three or four day trip to Santa Margarita. I could combine that with catching up with some old friends. Did I miss something. I'll look up Santa Margarita gun club myself. But I saw no mention of any LR trainings.
Like Smoothy said you only make it a competition if you want it to be. You have a 600 or 1000 yard range to shoot you have a time limit and you have someone in the butt marking your shots. so after every shot your target drops and get a score marker and a shot marker. Read that as YOU DON'T NEED A SPOTTER. The matches at Pendleton provide shooters with a range within 1 hour to nearly all of San Diego and Orange county. But the word "Match" keeps so many away, consider it like a friendly competition where if you don't want to compete you are not required to. But you can still shoot and get some practice in at 600 and 1000 yards. Where else are you going to do that in SoCal??

we've had guys show up and do nothing but teach someone else how to shoot LR be it their kid, their girl friend or just some buddy they had that was interested. We also have guys that test their loads to dial in their reloading.
the fact is if you are there shooting on your allotted time, following the safety rules and scoring for the other shooters on your lane (part of the deal) you can use you time how ever you like with in the confines of the range rules.
Oh BTW SMGC does not support a four day match. the most we shoot is a two day match on a regular basis, occasionally we have an event that requires a four day shoot but thats a different discipline

Shooting is what you put into it. It takes hard work, Making sacrifices of time and money, getting out of your comfort zone, Yet every time you post about LR training it's like talking to a brick wall, a list of reasons why you can't or won't yet opportunities are being offered left and right. Your single biggest obstacle in your ability to train and places to shoot is you and until you accept that fact and become a little more willing to use the tools offered, well.... may I suggest an indoor range and handguns because I think thats going to be the only thing that will suit your requirements

For what it's worth I was the same way, I had my preconceived notions of what a match was, what a shooting club was, and I was dead set against it. I've now been apart of SMGC for four years now I think?? and let me tell you i wish I would have going sooner.

Last edited by kcstott; 08-20-2018 at 3:45 AM..
Old 08-20-2018, 3:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Scott View Post
"Santa Margarita Gun Club is getting back into full swing. 600 and 1000 yard matches will be coming soon."

I wish they would work for me, as they are close. But my 7mm rem mag does not fit there program and my AR's are not good enough for match stuff. I reached out once to them and they were ".308 or AR only. period"
While I probably could of spent some money on my AR to make it better, (new trigger and barrel) their attitude projected that they were not interested in having any new members join them.
Yeah I failed to remember and mention that part. But the club is working on the caliber restrictions and that should be taken care of very soon, We are getting a lot of positive support from base command these days, In the mean time we'll get our schedules worked out get you in the sand box and have you dialed in past 300 and out to 1000 yards in no time.
Old 08-20-2018, 6:24 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Scott View Post
I am located in Orange County and am also interested in a long range coach and and land to shoot on. The gun site range is expensive and four days is a lot of time.
I would like to shoot one morning, with someone to give me training and also spot for me. I think it would be very helpful.
Before I get flamed about needing to put in the training, I just don't have the time to dedicate four days. Maybe later, just not yet.
I am a member of West End Gun Club, but they do not have the facility to shoot out to 1000.
Anybody here interested in doing some training? I have no issues shooting in the desert or getting up very early.......
As soon as it cools down I will be at my range outside Phoenix at least once a week during workdays and probably every weekend working on my long range game. You are welcome to make the long trek out to shoot with me. I will probably start end of september or when it is not disgustingly hot and humid and shoot until May.

01FFL/03SOT AND 07FFL/02SOT
PHOENIX, AZ MIDDLEMAN TRANSFER DEALER SINCE 2010
10 round magazine conversion service
CA compliance service
Machine gun/suppressor rentals
Private 10 acre range rentals
Storage for your CA firearms/CA prohibited firearm purchases.

MY CALGUNS COMMERCIAL SALES SUBFORUM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=376