Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2018, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb78 View Post
If it doesn't require pictures, why give them to them?
They will ask you for pics, here’s one of numerous threads from people who did

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1279219
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E7DA78C5-1150-4051-B8FF-430EE5DFF381.jpg (9.6 KB, 87 views)
Old 03-07-2018, 3:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillgoat View Post
They will ask you for pics, here’s one of numerous threads from people who did

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1279219
So when/if they ask, submit pictures, but not before then.
Old 03-07-2018, 6:15 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillermoAntonio View Post
Volreg sounds great right now.
Featureless status applies only to the BB correct? Being a pistol all other stuff is N/A?
Featureless would only apply to a rifle build, since a pistol can not be "featureless"

Options are:

Retain BB and register as AW
Replace BB with 2017-compliant lock, no AW registration (for at least a couple more years)
Remove "evil" features, no mag lock (until next year), no AW registration

The first two apply to rifles and pistols
The last only applies to rifles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 03-08-2018, 9:01 AM

After the AW is registered (with pictures and everything), are we able to change out other parts? Like the upper, barrel, stock, grips etc. What if something breaks? Thanks guys

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2018, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRiSH_SpRinG View Post
After the AW is registered (with pictures and everything), are we able to change out other parts? Like the upper, barrel, stock, grips etc. What if something breaks? Thanks guys

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

You can replace parts. You can replace a new BB. You can’t remove the BB.
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Sig Sauer P228
HK USP9c
Old 03-08-2018, 9:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRiSH_SpRinG View Post
After the AW is registered (with pictures and everything), are we able to change out other parts? Like the upper, barrel, stock, grips etc. What if something breaks?
There are no laws against swapping out parts.
There is only a regulation against removing the bullet button.
That regulation does allow for replacing the bullet button with another bullet button.
Old 03-08-2018, 5:16 PM

Okay. So, my 80% AR’s are fixed magazine and when I tried to get a serial number they email me (below) that from now until July 1, 2018, serial number request is for 80% that needs a serial number for AW registration. For 80% that is fixed or featureless, that process is after July 1, 2018.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for submitting your application. The New Serial Number Application Form – BOF 1008 is currently only being used for self-built firearms that will be registered as assault weapons, pursuant to AB 1135 and SB 880. Based on the information you provided, you firearm does not qualify as an assault weapon and therefore, we cannot process your application.

The application to request a unique serial number for a self-manufactured or self-assembled firearm, pursuant to Assembly Bill 857, is not yet available and will commence after July 1, 2018. Please do not submit BOF 1008 forms for Assembly Bill 857 purposes at this time as the New Serial Number Application Form – BOF 1008 may differ from the current version available on the Department’s website. For additional information, you may view Assembly Bill 857 on the California Legislative Information website: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...201520160AB857

We apologies for the confusion. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2018, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Correct.

The firearm does need to be configured to comply with CA laws.

^Semi-auto centerfire rifle needs to be featureless or needs to use a fixed 10 round magazine that can not be removed without disassembling the firearm's action.

No, you have until January 1, 2019 to get a DOJ serial number for all 80% no matter when they were made. See my post below.

Thank you for submitting your application. The New Serial Number Application Form – BOF 1008 is currently only being used for self-built firearms that will be registered as assault weapons, pursuant to AB 1135 and SB 880. Based on the information you provided, you firearm does not qualify as an assault weapon and therefore, we cannot process your application.

The application to request a unique serial number for a self-manufactured or self-assembled firearm, pursuant to Assembly Bill 857, is not yet available and will commence after July 1, 2018. Please do not submit BOF 1008 forms for Assembly Bill 857 purposes at this time as the New Serial Number Application Form – BOF 1008 may differ from the current version available on the Department’s website. For additional information, you may view Assembly Bill 857 on the California Legislative Information website: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...201520160AB857

We apologies for the confusion. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Old 03-08-2018, 5:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyen.h.harry View Post
No, you have until January 1, 2019 to get a DOJ serial number for all 80% no matter when they were made. See my post below.[snip]
Incorrect, PC 29180 does not apply to firearms that are Volreg'd with your own serial number prior to July 1, 2018, see PC29181(c).

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...ctionNum=29181.

Quote:
Section 29180 does not apply to or affect any of the following:

(c) A firearm which was entered into the centralized registry set forth in Section 11106 prior to July 1, 2018, as being owned by a specific individual or entity if that firearm has assigned to it a distinguishing number or mark of identification because the department accepted entry of that firearm into the centralized registry.
Old 03-08-2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Incorrect, PC 29180 does not apply to firearms that are Volreg'd with your own serial number prior to July 1, 2018, see PC29181(c).

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...ctionNum=29181.

That’s great news. What form is that? This whole thing is confusing, especially when the DOJ tells you to do it and somewhere else it says you don’t. Thanks. What form can we fill out?

Old 03-08-2018, 6:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
That’s great news. What form is that? This whole thing is confusing, especially when the DOJ tells you to do it and somewhere else it says you don’t. Thanks. What form can we fill out?

Paper form:
https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...rms/volreg.pdf

Or create an account at:
https://cfars.doj.ca.gov/
Old 03-08-2018, 8:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Okay. So, my 80% AR’s are fixed magazine and when I tried to get a serial number they email me (below) that from now until July 1, 2018, serial number request is for 80% that needs a serial number for AW registration. For 80% that is fixed or featureless, that process is after July 1, 2018.
That's correct.
The fees kick in on the non-AW serial numbers.
There is no fee for AW serial numbers as you will be paying the $15 registration fee for unlimited number of guns instead of the fee per-gun for the NON-AW's.

I sent in my form back in January and got my AW serial numbers today.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 03-08-2018 at 8:52 PM..
Old 03-08-2018, 8:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
That's correct.
The fees kick in on the non-AW serial numbers.
There is no fee for AW serial numbers as you will be paying the $15 registration fee for unlimited number of guns instead of the fee per-gun for the NON-AW's.

I sent in my form back in January and got my AW serial numbers today.
Don't forget on top of the fee, it will be online CFARS/CRIS only requests, and magically expiring serial numbers.
Old 03-08-2018, 9:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
magically expiring serial numbers.
What's this about?
Old 03-08-2018, 9:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
What's this about?
Warning, will download the proposed regs:
https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...pdf?1517438166

Quote:
Article 6. Deadlines, Instructions for Engraving the Unique Serial Number,
and Instructions for Uploading Digital Images of Firearms.
§ 5518. Deadlines to Engrave the Unique Serial Number on the Firearm After Receiving
the Electronic Approval Notice from the Department.
(a) After the applicant submits an online application, the Department shall notify the applicant
of its approval or denial electronically. An automated email will be sent to the applicant
notifying the applicant to log on to the applicant’s CFARS account to view the determination
letter.
(b) If the applicant’s request for a unique serial number is approved, the applicant shall do the
following:
(1) The applicant owning a self-manufactured or self-assembled firearm prior to July 1,
2018 shall engrave, cast, stamp (impress), or permanently place in a conspicuous location
on the receiver or frame of the firearm the unique serial number issued by the Department
within 10 calendar days of receiving the unique serial number from the Department. The
applicant’s date of receipt of the unique serial number shall be the date on the email
containing the electronic notice that tells the applicant to log into the applicant’s CFARS
account to view the electronic correspondence sent by the Department.
(A) To show that the applicant has complied with the 10-day deadline, the applicant
shall upload digital images pursuant to section 5521 of these regulations.
(B) If the applicant fails to engrave, cast, stamp (impress), or permanently place the
unique serial number in a conspicuous location on the receiver or frame of the firearm
and upload the required digital images before the end of the tenth day, the unique
serial number will become invalid. At that point, the applicant will have to reapply to
the Department and request another unique serial number. The applicant shall
complete the reapplication process by January 1, 2019, or the firearm will fail to
comply with the law.

(2) An applicant intending to manufacture or assemble a firearm on or after July 1, 2018,
shall engrave, cast, stamp (impress), or permanently place in a conspicuous location on the
receiver or frame of the firearm the unique serial number issued by the Department within
30 calendar days of receiving the unique serial number from the Department. The
applicant’s date of receipt of the unique serial number shall be the date on the email
containing the electronic notice that tells the applicant to log into the applicant’s CFARS
account to view the electronic correspondence sent by the Department.
(A) The applicant shall only manufacture or assemble the firearm after the
Department determines that the applicant is eligible to possess a firearm and issues
the applicant a unique serial number.
(B) Within 10 calendar days of manufacturing or assembling the firearm, the
applicant shall engrave, cast, stamp (impress), or permanently place in a conspicuous
location on the receiver or frame of the firearm the unique serial number for the self-
manufactured or self-assembled firearm. Hence, at the latest, the applicant shall finish
manufacturing or assembling the firearm within 20 calendar days from the date the
Department issued the applicant a unique serial number so that the applicant can
complete the entire engraving process within the 30-day period prescribed by the
Department.
(C) For firearms built on or after July 1, 2018, an applicant only has access to the
Department-issued unique serial number for 30 days from the date of its issuance. If
the applicant does not manufacture or assemble and engrave the firearm with its
unique serial number within the 30 days provided by the Department, the unique
serial number will become invalid and the applicant must reapply for a new unique
serial number.

(D) If the applicant follows the procedure to record the firearm before the 30-day
period expires, and the applicant improperly complies with the procedures set forth
by these regulations, the applicant will have until the end of the thirtieth day to
provide the missing information to the Department.
Old 03-08-2018, 9:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I missed that until now.
That's really going to mess a bunch of people up.
My AW serial numbers letter says I have until the end of June to get the AW registrations sent in.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:07 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
You can Vol-Reg featureless and Fixed magazine now.

You can request a DOJ-issued serial number ONLY for guns you wish to RBBAW. This complete process MUST be completed before the BBAW registration window closes on July 1.

After July 1, you must request a DOJ-issued serial number for any 80% build that was not previously serialized and registered.

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:09 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Holy crap!
Only 10 days to engrave and submit pictures?

Quote:
Old 03-09-2018, 10:03 AM

Sorry if this has been addressed. What about handgun builds?
Old 03-12-2018, 1:48 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by asymmetricalwarfar3 View Post
Sorry if this has been addressed. What about handgun builds?
Step 1: Build single shot break top or bolt action roster exempt handgun

Step 2: Engrave serial number & other info

Step 3: Submit voluntary registration to DOJ w/pics of single shot build & serial number/info before July 1st, 2018

Minimum barrel length 6 inches
Minimum overall length 10.5 inches

After July 1st,

Step 1: Apply for unique serial number from DOJ

Step 2: After approval, engrave unique serial number onto 3.7oz stainless steel plate (these don't exist on any current 80% frames)

Step 3: Build single shot break top or bolt action roster exempt handgun

Violation of the AB857 provisions are a felony (each handgun is a separate offense)
Old 03-12-2018, 2:49 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

What about handgun builds from years ago?

Check out my engraving gallery on my website, Thanks
http://vadertactical.com/engraving-gallery
Old 03-12-2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderSpade View Post
What about handgun builds from years ago?
doesnt matter per the proposed CADOJ rule change(hearing 19th) all home builds have to be registered

"Article 1. General
§ 5505. Title and Scope.
This chapter shall be known as the “Department of Justice Regulations for Firearms: Identifying Information and the Unique Serial Number Application Process for Self-Manufactured or Self- Assembled Firearms,” may be cited as such and is referred to herein as “these regulations.” The provisions of these regulations shall apply to an individual who owns a self-manufactured or self-assembled firearm before July 1, 2018 that is not recorded with the Department of Justice (Department), and shall also apply to an individual who intends to manufacture or assemble a firearm on or after July 1, 2018. "
Old 03-12-2018, 4:10 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Ya, I got that part.
It's the part about pics of single shot configuration that I wonder about? I still have my 10" barrel and filed off mag release along with a 0 capacity sled. But the new Break top $#@t is just that BS!

Old 03-12-2018, 4:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Ya, I got that part.
It's the part about pics of single shot configuration that I wonder about? I still have my 10" barrel and filed off mag release along with a 0 capacity sled. But the new Break top $#@t is just that BS!
VolReg does not require pictures currently. I have seen people state that they have simply added a comment to the the effect of "originally manufactured as a dimensionally compliant single shot pistol, and later converted to semi auto"
Old 03-14-2018, 2:14 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Ya, I got that part.
I would imagine if you put the date of manufacture as taking place before the break top / bolt action requirement was added, you're good to go.

If someone tried to do that with a polymer80 glock it would obviously be a lie.

As far as the general concept of people not wanting to submit pictures of their single shot build (lets face it, they're cheap and built straight to semi auto) I don't blame people for not wanting to comply with a BS roster law, but stop going around giving bad advice that could get someone locked up because you don't want to be the only one doing it.

Last edited by Mountain Max; 03-14-2018 at 2:16 PM..
Old 03-14-2018, 2:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Max View Post
I would imagine if you put the date of manufacture as taking place before the break top / bolt action requirement was added, you're good to go.

If someone tried to do that with a polymer80 glock it would obviously be a lie.

As far as the general concept of people not wanting to submit pictures of their single shot build (lets face it, they're cheap and built straight to semi auto) I don't blame people for not wanting to comply with a BS roster law, but stop going around giving bad advice that could get someone locked up because you don't want to be the only one doing it.
Where are you seeing bad advice?
Old 03-14-2018, 2:25 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

I have heard of at least one picture that got 8 well armed ATF agents to the submitter door and his gun is GONE for good.
Bad advice? Simple misunderstanding?

Old 03-14-2018, 2:34 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Where are you seeing bad advice?
There is no reason for someone who went to the expense and hassle to build their handgun(s) legally to not include pictures.

It's a weak assertion to rely on "oh, just didn't happen to take any photos of my guns and I already disposed of the single shot parts".

DOJ isn't stupid, and if they see enough of that, then it gets ruined for everyone.

Quote:
I have heard of at least one picture that got 8 well armed ATF agents to the submitter door and his gun is GONE for good.
Bad advice? Simple misunderstanding?
This is why registration in general is BS. Once we're on the radar we no longer own our guns, we keep/lose everything at the whim of the government.
Old 03-14-2018, 2:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
There is no reason for someone who went to the expense and hassle to build their handgun(s) legally to not include pictures.

It's a weak assertion to rely on "oh, just didn't happen to take any photos of my guns and I already disposed of the single shot parts".

DOJ isn't stupid, and if they see enough of that, then it gets ruined for everyone.

This is why registration in general is BS. Once we're on the radar we no longer own our guns, we keep/lose everything on the whim of the government.
There is a perfectly good reason, and that is that pictures are not required as of yet; if the CA DOJ wants pictures, they WILL request them. That is not to say that you should not have pictures, saved in multiple places (emailed to yourself the day you built it, flash drive, external hard drive, and printed to be safe), but don't just go giving the state something they do not require.

ETA: it's already ruined after July 1 anyway.
Old 03-14-2018, 3:26 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
don't just go giving the state something they do not require.
Unless you want to lower your risk of hitting a snag with registration.

Quote:
ETA: it's already ruined after July 1 anyway.
Why's that?
Old 03-14-2018, 4:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Unless you want to lower your risk of hitting a snag with registration.
I don't see the possibility of a request for pictures as a risk. Whereas, like Vader mentioned, sending a picture for the person he was referring to, turned out badly.

Quote:
Why's that?
Pictures are required to prove you've engraved the assigned serial number within the allotted time.
Old 03-14-2018, 5:34 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Pictures are required to prove you've engraved the assigned serial number within the allotted time.
Yeah it's not looking good. The 3.7oz requirement is killer too... will manufacturers even keep selling frames here? The next step the legislature will take is banning unfinished frames altogether. They've already tried to do that once.
Old 03-17-2018, 8:49 PM

So if you send in your bof-1008 via email they send you back your FMBUS serials via email as well right? Do they still send you any copies back via snail mail?
Old 03-19-2018, 2:01 PM

I haven't seen this question addressed yet,

If I were to volreg a non AW 80% today can it be joint registered to a parent?

If yes is there any benefit to me in doing so?

--TonyNorCal

Quoted from TheExpertish's Mosin Group Buy Clusterf**k Refund Thread
Old 03-19-2018, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaocaholica View Post
So if you send in your bof-1008 via email they send you back your FMBUS serials via email as well right? Do they still send you any copies back via snail mail?

I have only received email, I submitted the form via email. I am guessing they use your method of application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-19-2018, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
I haven't seen this question addressed yet,

You can volreg today. No need to joint register.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-19-2018, 6:44 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post

No benefit.
Joint registration applies only to RAW.

Quote:
Old 03-20-2018, 11:10 AM

I'm on day 13 since I sent out my 1008 email so the anticipation....
Old 03-20-2018, 11:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaocaholica View Post
I'm on day 13 since I sent out my 1008 email so the anticipation....
Figure on 6 weeks for your serial numbers.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Figure on 6 weeks for your serial numbers.
Lol. I swear I read a post saying it was 10 days.