Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 01-28-2018, 7:52 PM

Default Laguna Seca Shooting Sports Association

http://www.lsssa.net/

Is anyone here a member of the LSSSA in Monterey county? I致e been looking into becoming a member and wanted to see if anyone could provide me with feedback on them.

Also if you know any other options in the SF Bay Area that offer IDPSA or other competitions please chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2018, 9:14 AM

Morning Dave,

LSSSA Member here. Sunday was the first IDPA match of the year. We had 33 shooters and 42 guns. Beautiful weather and a great group of people.
What type of feedback are you looking for?

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by davek8s View Post
http://www.lsssa.net/

Is anyone here a member of the LSSSA in Monterey county? I致e been looking into becoming a member and wanted to see if anyone could provide me with feedback on them.

Also if you know any other options in the SF Bay Area that offer IDPSA or other competitions please chime in.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboma View Post
Morning Dave,

LSSSA Member here. Sunday was the first IDPA match of the year. We had 33 shooters and 42 guns. Beautiful weather and a great group of people.

What type of feedback are you looking for?

Regards,

Mike

I致e been wanting to join the LSSSA for awhile, I just keep missing the monthly meeting.

I知 curious how it would be for a beginner at IPDSA and the other competitions they offer.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I致e been wanting to join the LSSSA for awhile, I just keep missing the monthly meeting.
I知 curious how it would be for a beginner at IPDSA and the other competitions they offer.
Dave,

You do not need to be a member to shoot with the club. Feel free to come out to any match we put on and give it a try. As long as you have basic firearm handling skills, know the 4 rules of safety and your equipment is safe your good to go.

For clarification we have monthly IDPA, Steel Challenge & Falling Plate matches. We do not have any USPSA matches running at this time. IDPA is fishing vests and rules. USPSA is colorful jerseys, fancy shoes and no rules.

If you decide to come to a match just show up early and let the Match Director know that your new. He will give you the run down on the range rules and what to expect.

I think we had around 4 "new to competition" shooters on Sunday. We are a local level club and encourage new shooters to come try out competitive shooting. The only negative part about coming to your first match is the drive home... berating yourself the whole way for not doing it sooner

Let me know if you have any other questions...
Regards,
Mike
Old 01-29-2018, 11:15 AM

Thanks Mike. I値l definitely stop by soon.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks Mike. I値l definitely stop by soon.
Dave,

February 25th is our next IDPA match. Drop me a PM if you have any match or equipment questions.

Regards,
Mike
Old 01-29-2018, 11:39 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
You do not need to be a member to shoot with the club. Feel free to come out to any match we put on and give it a try. As long as you have basic firearm handling skills, know the 4 rules of safety and your equipment is safe your good to go.

If you decide to come to a match just show up early and let the Match Director know that your new. He will give you the run down on the range rules and what to expect.
Just to expand a little bit...
  • You need a holster that fully cover the trigger of the gun. Outside-the-waistband is optimum, but inside-the-waistband models will work. Just spend some time getting comfortable drawing and holstering.
  • You need a standard self-defense type gun (1911, Glock, Beretta, XD, 4" revolver, etc.), preferably one you have a fair amount of comfort with.
  • You need three magazines minimum. When you shoot a stage, you'll start with one in the gun, plus two on your belt as reloads. More magazines are helpful in case you have to shoot multi-string stages, but you'll have no problems if you have just the three minimum.
  • You need a mag pouch for the two spare mags (either two single pouches or one double).
  • Finally, you need some type of cover garment that fully covers the gun and the mag pouches while wearing it. For safety's sake, I strongly recommend something that fully opens in the front rather than a pullover.

To prepare for the match, take a look at some videos that talk about IDPA and range commands. I haven't watched this one entirely, but from what I saw, it looks pretty good:

I'm not an LSSSA member, but I am a 14-year competitor and instructor. Feel free to post if you have any follow-up questions.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:01 PM

Also interested. Do you have to be classified? IDPA member?
Are matches held at Laguna Seca or another location? Thanks
Old 01-29-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4E Phantom View Post
Also interested. Do you have to be classified? IDPA member? Are matches held at Laguna Seca or another location? Thanks
You do not need to have prior classification or be an IDPA member to shoot with LSSSA. You need to have all the equipment Gryff outlined + eyes & ears. LSSSA is no longer holding any matches at the Laguna Seca Rifle Range. They are held at a private range in Soledad, Ca right off the 101.

Regards,
Mike
Old 01-29-2018, 2:22 PM

Thanks mrboma. I lost my range when Chabot was closed. I hope to attend soon.
Old 01-29-2018, 7:09 PM

Richmond is way closer than Soledad

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA, GSSF, Richmond Rod & Gun, Sunnyvale Rod & Gun

Help VSA help the troops.

http://veteranssportsmanalliance.org/
Old 01-29-2018, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Just to expand a little bit...

• You need a holster that fully cover the trigger of the gun. Outside-the-waistband is optimum, but inside-the-waistband models will work. Just spend some time getting comfortable drawing and holstering.

• You need a standard self-defense type gun (1911, Glock, Beretta, XD, 4" revolver, etc.), preferably one you have a fair amount of comfort with.

• You need three magazines minimum. When you shoot a stage, you'll start with one in the gun, plus two on your belt as reloads. More magazines are helpful in case you have to shoot multi-string stages, but you'll have no problems if you have just the three minimum.

• You need a mag pouch for the two spare mags (either two single pouches or one double).

• Finally, you need some type of cover garment that fully covers the gun and the mag pouches while wearing it. For safety's sake, I strongly recommend something that fully opens in the front rather than a pullover.

To prepare for the match, take a look at some videos that talk about IDPA and range commands. I haven't watched this one entirely, but from what I saw, it looks pretty good:

I'm not an LSSSA member, but I am a 14-year competitor and instructor. Feel free to post if you have any follow-up questions.

Thanks for the pointers. Gear wise I only need a vest and holster. I have the mag holster that SA includes with their 1911s. I figure they値l be good enough to start.

Will the holster that Springfield gives you work for IDPA? It covers the trigger, but not the slide.

Old 01-29-2018, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the pointers. Gear wise I only need a vest and holster. I have the mag holster that SA includes with their 1911s. I figure they値l be good enough to start.

Will the holster that Springfield gives you work for IDPA? It covers the trigger, but not the slide.
Dave,

You'll be fine with than holster in Soledad, if not a loaner is readily available.

Regards,
Mike
Old 02-10-2018, 11:41 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm a member and have been shooting IDPA and Steel Challenge in Soledad for a while now. Great people, not all "agro", new competitors always welcome. Come on out, drop me a PM if you have any questions.

mrboma actually does the stage designs for IDPA and does a great job. Always fun and interesting.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlan1 View Post
I'm a member and have been shooting IDPA and Steel Challenge in Soledad for a while now. Great people, not all "agro", new competitors always welcome. Come on out, drop me a PM if you have any questions.

mrboma actually does the stage designs for IDPA and does a great job. Always fun and interesting.

Thanks, i値l be out there on 2/25. Im looking forward to checking it out.

Old 02-12-2018, 8:03 AM
Veteran Member

LSSSA is a great group of shooters. I miss shooting with them.
Skee

XL-650 to feed the .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM.
IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
NRA Certified RSO
"Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"
Old 02-12-2018, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks buddy, I'm quoting this in case you change your mind.

May I suggest some support hand dry/live fire before the upcoming match?
I know it's your favorite

Regards,
Mike
Old 02-12-2018, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief-7700 View Post
LSSSA is a great group of shooters. I miss shooting with them.
Skee
Morning Skee,

Come on back the weather is lovely!
(Although I'd rather head your way towards freedom)
Thanks again for all the stage shares.

Regards,
Mike
Old 02-12-2018, 9:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks buddy, I'm quoting this in case you change your mind.

May I suggest some support hand dry/live fire before the upcoming match?
I know it's your favorite

Regards,
Mike
Bastich! I want to move! Go, go, lots of rounds. Honestly, you're becoming an old fart in a tactical kilt.
Old 02-13-2018, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Bastich! I want to move! Go, go, lots of rounds. Honestly, you're becoming an old fart in a tactical kilt.
Heard! Targets everywhere and tons of movement... all with your support hand.

In closing, age is all in the mind and I train like I fight.
Fear my kilt

Regards,
Mike
Old 02-13-2018, 9:28 AM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

I live in Los Angeles (please don't hold that against me) and my elderly mother lives in the Jack's Peak area of Monterey County. I don't get to visit as often as I'd like, but when I make the trip I like to stay more than two days. I'd also like to go shooting while I'm there.

Seems I've always been up there during the week when I have a hiatus from work, and the Laguna Seca range is closed mid-week. If I plan my visit towards the end of the week, I could leave for home on Sunday, following the Soledad event. I could either spectate, or try my hand. I may suffer through my inexperience. Who knows. I've never shot in competition. I punch paper and ring steel.

I know and practice the Four Rules. I use Springfield Loaded models of the 1911 with no modifications other than a grip panel change. They need some trigger work, but they shoot better than I do, regardless. I have abbreviated holsters, but all cover the trigger and retain the firearm securely enough to run and jump without the pistol coming free from it's restraint. I have additional magazines and a mag pouch or two, and I have a suitable cover garment.

At the very least, again, I'd like to view the event!

. 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 02-13-2018, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
I live in Los Angeles (please don't hold that against me) and my elderly mother lives in the Jack's Peak area of Monterey County. I don't get to visit as often as I'd like, but when I make the trip I like to stay more than two days. I'd also like to go shooting while I'm there.

Seems I've always been up there during the week when I have a hiatus from work, and the Laguna Seca range is closed mid-week. If I plan my visit towards the end of the week, I could leave for home on Sunday, following the Soledad event. I could either spectate, or try my hand. I may suffer through my inexperience. Who knows. I've never shot in competition. I punch paper and ring steel.

I know and practice the Four Rules. I use Springfield Loaded models of the 1911 with no modifications other than a grip panel change. They need some trigger work, but they shoot better than I do, regardless. I have abbreviated holsters, but all cover the trigger and retain the firearm securely enough to run and jump without the pistol coming free from it's restraint. I have additional magazines and a mag pouch or two, and I have a suitable cover garment.

Apples,

You'll here this from everyone who shoots competitions, regardless of the type... they all wish they started sooner.

You understand gun safety and have the appropriate gear required for the match. Why bother spectating when you can come and actually participate? I promise it will be more fun than watching.

You have everything you need to come and safely shoot the match and I encourage you to do so. Let me know if you have any more questions prior to the match.

Regards,
Mike
Old 02-13-2018, 4:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post

Don't spectate, shoot! Come on out. Look for the nutjob in the kilt or the handsome guy in the red fez. We'll get you through it, safely and with hours of pure enjoyment. You won't be sorry.
Old 02-14-2018, 8:12 AM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Quote:
mrboma

You understand gun safety and have the appropriate gear required for the match. Why bother spectating when you can come and actually participate? I promise it will be more fun than watching.

You have everything you need to come and safely shoot the match and I encourage you to do so.
Quote:
uhlan1

Come on out. Look for the nutjob in the kilt or the handsome guy in the red fez. We'll get you through it, safely and with hours of pure enjoyment. You won't be sorry.
A kilt? A fez? Should I find a pith helmet and some jodpurs?

Kidding. But with those inducements! only a fool would pass on the opportunity.

Thank you both kindly for the encouragement. What a fine, and fun, way to wind up a visit with mum. I hope to be there in 11 days. At this point, my schedule is tentative. Thank you very much, again!

. 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 02-21-2018, 7:13 PM

Why did they stop doing matches at Laguna Seca?
Old 02-22-2018, 7:18 AM

There was a change of ownership/management at the Laguna Seca range.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPSA GM View Post
Why did they stop doing matches at Laguna Seca?
Old 02-22-2018, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Dave, USPSA is colorful jerseys, fancy shoes and no rules.
Old 02-22-2018, 7:27 AM

On a happier note the IDPA match is on for Sunday.
Shoot me a PM if you need directions or would like to preview the stages.

Start time:
9:00 am

Cost:
$15.00 members
$20.00 non-members

Round count:
74 minimum

Regards,
Mike
Old 02-22-2018, 9:39 AM

Quote:
On a happier note the IDPA match is on for Sunday.

Shoot me a PM if you need directions or would like to preview the stages.

Start time:

9:00 am

Cost:

$15.00 members

$20.00 non-members

Round count:

74 minimum

Regards,

Mike

Thanks Mike, my son and I will be there. I値l PM you for directions.

Old 02-23-2018, 6:46 PM

Pm Inbound

Thanks Mike
Old 02-24-2018, 10:16 AM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Gentlemen, to whom it may concern, thank you again for your assistance and questions answered.

I am not visiting Monterey from Los Angeles this weekend, therefore I will not be in attendance. I do look forward to my next opportunity to improve my skills by virtue of this organized event. Thanks again, and I'll keep an eye open here for upcoming shoots.

:-)

. 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 02-24-2018, 12:49 PM

Hopefully not too late.

I壇 like to attend this event.

Can someone send me the address as well?
Old 02-24-2018, 1:48 PM

Are Serpas allowed? I have a active retention model for my 1911.
Old 02-24-2018, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruecheese View Post
Are Serpas allowed? I have a active retention model for my 1911.
From the book...

Holsters
The following criteria apply to IDPA legal holsters.
L: All retention devices on the holster must be used.
M: Retention devices may be permanently removed or permanently disabled, but not temporarily disabled for a match.
So yes as long as you've done the bolded above.
Regards,
Mike
Old 02-25-2018, 5:06 PM

I had a great time with everyone at the LSSSA in Soledad today.

Thanks Mike for replying to my post and helping me get out there. I知 looking forward to trying out some other events soon.

Old 02-26-2018, 9:08 AM

Quote:
I had a great time with everyone at the LSSSA in Soledad today.

Thanks Mike for replying to my post and helping me get out there. I知 looking forward to trying out some other events soon.
Glad to hear it Dave. It was fun match for sure, welcome to the addiction!
Your very welcome for the nudge in the right direction. Check your email for the match results and I'll see you next month.

Regards,
Mike
Old 02-27-2018, 6:01 AM

Real great time out there Mike! Thanks for the invite and I will be seeing you out there soon. Great group of people wanting to expand the sport! Just awesome brother!
Old 02-27-2018, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCjonny831 View Post
Real great time out there Mike! Thanks for the invite and I will be seeing you out there soon. Great group of people wanting to expand the sport! Just awesome brother!
Jonny,

Your very welcome. Nice shooting for your first IDPA match.
Glad you enjoyed Sunday... stay tuned for next month's match.

Regards,
Mike
Old 03-03-2018, 11:43 AM

I thought they were hiring a new rangemaster at Laguna Seca?
Old 03-08-2018, 11:07 PM

just wondering if falling plates and steel challenge are still on for this weekend?

Also, do you need to be a member to participate in these events? or same policy as the IDPA events?