Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-08-2018, 8:33 PM

Default 2nd proof of residency questions

Hello calguns,

I recently purchased a handgun at riflegear, and they stated that I need a second form of residency.

I currently have a copy of my Rental Agreement for my apartments. However it is back from 2010, and it has my age on it (I was 17 at the time). I currently still live at the same address. The rental agreement has the lessee names listed and I am included in it.

I do have my signature on the rental agreement, however it was signed back in 08/22/2010. Would this be an issue? Or would I need another rental agreement with the current year.
Old 03-08-2018, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linehand131 View Post
CA vehicle registration
While I do understand that this is the easiest method of providing a second form of residency, that isn't an option at the moment. I'm asking specifically about the rental agreement. Thank you though.
Old 03-08-2018, 8:56 PM
Veteran Member

Go on the DOJ website and look.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 03-08-2018, 9:05 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

More specifically, https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs#13G

And it is not a 2nd proof of residency.

You need 1 (one) proof of identity - CA requires that be a CA Driver License or ID.

You need 1 (one) proof of residency for handgun purchases.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-08-2018, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
More specifically, https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs#13G

And it is not a 2nd proof of residency.

You need 1 (one) proof of identity - CA requires that be a CA Driver License or ID.

You need 1 (one) proof of residency for handgun purchases.

Residential lease that bears the individual's name and either of the following:

The individual's current residential address as declared on the DROS form; or
The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.
"Residential lease" means either of the following:
A signed and dated contract by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration for the right to occupy an abode for a specified period of time; or
A signed and dated rental agreement by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration at fixed intervals for the right to occupy an abode.

This is what I've been reading, and I'm just wondering whether the year that it was signed matters, because this is the only rental agreement that I have. It was signed on 2010, and I still do currently live here. I'm not sure whether it will be an issue since this is from 8 years ago.
Old 03-08-2018, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraff2 View Post
I do have my signature on the rental agreement, however it was signed back in 08/22/2010.......
Down load the Rental Agreement (aka the Lease) on internet, fill out everything and I will sign it for you, anybody can sign the Lease. The Lease is a document that protect the renter/leasee for one year no rental increase and will not be kick-out after one year. After a year the rental becomes month to month basic. After a year, the renter keep the lease just to prove that the landlord still keep the last month rent and security deposit .

BTW, Calguners do not and will not support and provide any illegal action under any circumstance.

Cheers
Old 03-08-2018, 9:54 PM
Veteran Member

Might need to get it notarized as well.
That’s what I have used in the past with success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpaisa1 View Post
I think flatulence is a more serious crime. I think it should be a misdemeanor with a 1000 dollar fine or 6 months of jail. It should be a felony if done near an open flame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria526 View Post
I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself
Old 03-08-2018, 10:05 PM

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#3

Purchasers of handguns must provide proof of California residency, such as a utility bill, residential lease, property deed, or government-issued identification (other than a drivers license or other DMV-issued identification), and either (1) possess a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) plus successfully complete a safety demonstration with their recently purchased handgun or (2) qualify for an HSC exemption.

(Pen. Code, § § 26800-26850.)

im pretty sure the lease agreement has to be pretty recent (maybe passable with 2016). when in doubt just give them a call in the morning when they open at 10am. they're super knowledgeable and helpful staff.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Electricity, gas, cable bill with purchaser's name on it from within the last 3 months
Old 03-09-2018, 6:32 AM

So, if you have been renting a room for more than the lease specifies and have no utilities, take the bus and don't own property, you can't own a gun?

Oh yeah....then the earth splits open with me on one side and the (off roster gun) on the other. A large red-glowing pit with gavin newsome, diane frankenstein and governor brown at the bottom with pitchforks.
(Non caps intended)
Old 03-09-2018, 7:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

A bit off topic but it makes me laugh that CA requires proof of residency. You know, in case some from Arizona sneaks into CA so they can buy an obsolete on roster gun instead of ... any gun they want in their own state.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 03-09-2018, 7:07 AM

I used my student loan bill a few years ago to prove residency
Old 03-09-2018, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocino View Post
I used my student loan bill a few years ago to prove residency
I tried using my morgage payment mailings. It was a no go.

Oh yeah....then the earth splits open with me on one side and the (off roster gun) on the other. A large red-glowing pit with gavin newsome, diane frankenstein and governor brown at the bottom with pitchforks.
(Non caps intended)
Old 03-09-2018, 7:38 AM

I carry around a packet with all kinds of 'proof', but recently I ran into the current 3 month snag when doing a PPT. All the bills were older. Since most my bills and CDL were a PO Box, I started to think the whole thing was going down the tubes. Then I remembered and laid down a copy of my FFL3 which has both the PO Box mailing and the physical and asked if that was official enough for them?? They didn't say a thing and kept doing the PPT. Another benefit of a C&R even though the gun was not.....
Old 03-09-2018, 10:33 AM

And then there is this from the CRPA.

"Follow Up Special Alert:
Firearm Purchases and Identification Issued by CA DMV

In our last alert discussing California driver licenses and the Real ID Act, we mentioned that the California Department of Motor Vehicles (“DMV”) had told Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (“ATF”) ATF that the non-REAL ID licenses issued to lawful California residents would be different than those issued to undocumented individuals.

It has come to our attention that DMV is issuing identification to lawful California residents that are identical to those issued to individuals who are unable to provide proof of their lawful presence in the United States. In other words, DMV provided ATF with bad information.

This means there is no distinction between an AB 60 license and a non-REAL ID, despite what the ATF previously attested to in communications with NRA and CRPA attorneys. As a result, California licensed firearm dealers are currently prohibited from accepting non-REAL IDs for the purposes of firearm transfers due to ATF’s current policy.

NRA and CRPA attorneys have reached out to ATF and DMV for further clarification but have yet to receive a response. Make sure you are subscribed to NRA and CRPA email alerts to be notified of any updates on this issue as it develops.

In addition, NRA and CRPA attorneys have received word from at least one firearms dealer that the California Department of Justice (“CA DOJ”) has taken the position that any license with the words “FEDERAL LIMTS APPLY” is not acceptable for the purposes of purchasing or transferring firearms, regardless of any additional language on the back of the license. This appears to be an unlawful overreach by CA DOJ because the question of lawful presence in the United States as it relates to firearm purchases falls directly under ATF’s control.

Under California law, one only needs to provide “clear evidence of the person’s identity and age” when attempting to acquire a firearm from a California licensed dealer. “Clear evidence” is defined as a valid California Driver’s License or Identification Card. Because both AB 60 licenses and non-REAL IDs are considered valid California identification, regardless if they satisfy federal requirements or not, both satisfy California’s requirement of “clear evidence of the person’s identity and age.”

Following additional clarification from ATF and DMV, NRA and CRPA attorneys will address CA DOJ’s position should they still insist that such licenses are restricted. Until then, we recommend our members hold off on renewing their California identification if possible or apply for and obtain a REAL ID."

I hate California. I wish Trump really would declare war on it.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I don't even think a cable or internet bill works anymore. They want gas, water, or electric. At least a couple places I've been to said that.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifle ronin View Post
So, if you have been renting a room for more than the lease specifies and have no utilities, take the bus and don't own property, you can't own a gun?
You can't own a handgun, but you can buy an AR-15.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS41989 View Post
You can't own a handgun, but you can buy an AR-15.

Even with a rifle, you still need proof of residency..?

(Non caps intended)
Old 03-09-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
As I understand it, for a long gun your CA DL or ID works for proof of residency but it will not work for a handgun.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTII View Post
And then there is this from the CRPA.

Following additional clarification from ATF and DMV, NRA and CRPA attorneys will address CA DOJ’s position should they still insist that such licenses are restricted. Until then, we recommend our members hold off on renewing their California identification if possible or apply for and obtain a REAL ID."

I hate California. I wish Trump really would declare war on it.
Let's hope that the current situation with California snubbing their nose at Federal Law and passing illegal laws concerning immigration and sanctuary cities, roles over into a Second Amendment over reach as well... It's getting so that every state has different firearm restrictions and it's becoming a fluster cluck...
Old 03-09-2018, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS41989 View Post
I don't even think a cable or internet bill works anymore. They want gas, water, or electric. At least a couple places I've been to said that.

Cable/internet bill works because it's tied as a utility to the residence. So long as it has the transferee's name, address, and within 90-days. Property tax bill also works. Mortgage bill will work.

For lease agreement, CA does not specifically address the requirements, so you will have to check with the FFL since their license is on the hook. Your lease agreement gets renewed every time your contract renews, so you should have an updated copy (it's a legal requirement that you receive a copy since you have to sign a new contract with property management). I would be comfortable with the 18 month mark since that's the typical, longest lease length. Unless, you're in one of those situations where you are not renting from a formal property management company.

Really, if your DMV record matches your DL address, then your old lease agreement should be fine, but again it's up to the FFL, so check with them.

Last edited by anbu_yoshi; 03-09-2018 at 3:09 PM..
Old 03-09-2018, 2:30 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Not for California. Some FFLs still require a doc - not a legal requirement, but if you don't care to comply, you won't successfully buy from an FFL with that policy.

Feds accept CA Driver License/ID for proof of residency, except the above-mentioned little changes noted by AFTII.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-09-2018, 4:33 PM

Get a campfire permit online. Meets all the requirements: Government issued, espiration date, home address, etc. Free and take only a few minutes.
Old 03-09-2018, 6:07 PM
PEWPEWPEW :)
CGN Contributor

If the rental agreement is a month to month basis with no termination date on it, it should be fine. Although I would get an updated rental agreement to be on the safe side.
Old 03-09-2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK416 View Post
If the rental agreement is a month to month basis with no termination date on it, it should be fine. Although I would get an updated rental agreement to be on the safe side.
I managed to get a fairly recent agreement from last year, which started on July 2017 and expires on july 2018. It was signed on july 2017. Im thinking that this is pretty recent and should suffice. Hopefully
Old 03-09-2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
OP, based on what you've said, the only document you can think of that establishes residency is your lease agreement. I assume for the sake of argument that you've read through and established that you have no other way of showing where you live. That being said, go to your landlord and ask for a current-year copy of your lease agreement for your records and tell them that you're going to switch car insurance and they need proof of residency. Once you have that, you should be good to go.
Hi, i managed to grab a copy from last year starting at july 2017 and ends at july 2018. Im wondering if this would suffice
Old 03-09-2018, 6:52 PM
PEWPEWPEW :)
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I managed to get a fairly recent agreement from last year, which started on July 2017 and expires on july 2018. It was signed on july 2017. Im thinking that this is pretty recent and should suffice. Hopefully
Should be good to go.
Old 03-09-2018, 6:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
Hi, i managed to grab a copy from last year starting at july 2017 and ends at july 2018. Im wondering if this would suffice
Yes, it's within the time frame. Assuming that all else checks out, I'd accept that as proof of residence.