Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-07-2018, 1:28 PM

Default Compliance? who has been affected?

I have a question,,, "does anyone know of anyone who has been jacked up for an AR violation of any kind? Or had a Magazine confiscated? or even turned one in?

I don't want what you've heard, I only want what you personally have witnessed or has happened to someone you know. Trying to keep BS down on this topic.

I have not heard of, nor seen on the News, any Law abiding Citizen being carted off for having a Non Compliant AR or similar gun.

I haven't heard directly, and know of no one, who has turned in any Hi Cap Magazine for anything. I have heard that no one is turning in anything!

I know of no one who has registered their guns as AW. I'm sure someone has.

Obviously this question has nothing to do with someone who commits a Capitol Crime and has gun charges tacked on after the fact for political purposes. (Florida)

My point here was brought forth thru an Anti Gun Guy I saw on TV Debating the effects of Gun Control with Tucker Carlson and his assertion that the Lefts Strategy was to scare as many guns out of the closets as possible, make new ones unavailable, and depend on attrition to bring gun ownership in this country down to a level where the left could take over with minimal losses and impose a Police State over a period of say 20-30 years. (long game)

I feel pretty strongly that nobody is going to be coming to your house to pick up your AR.

I don't think any "Normal LEO" would confiscate your gun during a Traffic Stop unless it was laying on the seat next to you in plain sight or you stupidly allowed said Officer to search your vehicle when you had done nothing wrong other than a traffic infraction. And I am not saying by any means that all LEO's are good guys because we certainly know that is not the case and there are Aholes out there. We do know that most LEO's are good guys and don't want anything to do with gun related law enforcement.

But everyone complying with these stupid and largely unenforceable laws that weren't designed to prevent anything, and only designed to "Threaten" to make you a Felon for doing something that was perfectly legal a few months ago, seems like a waste of time and money.

I know others feel this way as well, but what I am interested in is who "YOU" have heard of or know personally that was prosecuted for this BS?

I put this in this forum as what we are talking about is relevant to this type of weapon.

Once again Beware the Useful Idiots.

Randy

www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-07-2018 at 1:32 PM..
Old 03-07-2018, 1:53 PM

I have.. but not exactly the story you are looking for.

I know first hand through documented police records and court pleadings of what happened and was hired to help.

Take this with a grain of salt, a guy was training his dog by biting its lips hard enough to get a strangers attention. Stranger called cops and man was approached by law enforcement regarding animal cruelty. During their questioning they asked the man if he had any firearms on him or in the car. The man said yes and the officers proceeded to inspect that the firearms were unloaded and locked in a container.

Unfortunately he had one revolver loaded in a duffel bag, an an AR without a bullet button along with high cap mags.

He was charged with possession of an assault weapon, possession of high cap mags, and possession of a loaded firearm In public.

His lawyer is currently awaiting a deal to drop the possession charges of the assault weapons and mags in lieu of pleading guilty to the misdemeanor charge of possessing a loaded weapon in public. Due to the shakey position the laws are regarding the stay on possession of high cap mag laws and the assault weapon exemption being until June 30.

Last edited by caliguy93; 03-07-2018 at 1:56 PM..
Old 03-07-2018, 4:07 PM

Check out this thread under Ca 2nd amendment section, it sounds like what you’re looking for
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ht=Confiscated
Old 03-07-2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate76239 View Post
Check out this thread under Ca 2nd amendment section, it sounds like what you’re looking for
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ht=Confiscated
This was the perfect storm. Someone who was trying to do the right thing in his mind and got BURNED. One can see many possibilities for this to happen and I personally believe that's part of the plan. If enough people unwittingly get caught, I'm sure there will be a lot of people turning there guns in, because they are afraid of getting caught. The old "Ignorance Of The Law Is No Excuse" disclaimer. What surprises me is that it didn't make it to the Six O'clock news, of course that could go either way by driving people to find out what's what, or pack them away and hope for better times......
Old 03-07-2018, 5:53 PM
Calguns Addict

IIRC, a whole bunch of law abiding people had their legally configured AR's confiscated by an anti-gun Forest Service Agent in the El Dorado National Forest over a several year period. It finally stopped when the El Dorado County Sheriff revoked the Forest Service's ability to enforce state and local gun laws.

IIRC, there were also confiscations of previously legal SKS's back in the day.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 03-07-2018, 9:16 PM

personally no but I seen people using 30 round mags and once saw a guy in lytle creek using a mag release with a drum a few years back. I rather not risk my firearms to test the law. The DOJ does not seem to be aggressively trying to arrest people for mistakes, instead they confiscate the firearm when it is a semi automatic.

Back in 2012 my father left me a 12ga mossberg 500, being a 18 year old who was tough to be a good "politically correct liberal" told myself to get rid of it. I put it in my trunk and drove it down to the PD, the officer in question told they could not legally take it if I wanted to dispose of it as a surrender because I was at legal age to own a firearm. He then told me and I quote " to take it apart and throw it away in different dumpsters around the city". It did not take a genius to know how stupid and dangerous that would be if someone were to find the receiver and put it together.

I took the shot gun home and realized I was stuck with it and pulled up the DOJ website and read the registration laws regarding firearms (AGAIN 18 WITH NO FIREARM EXPERIENCE). I assumed the shotgun was rifle length so I printed out the forum filled it out and sent it inalong with a hand written note of how I acquired the firearm. 5 months later the DOJ sent me a letter stating that California law requires that all firearm transactions needed to go through a FFL for a background check, and that I had accidentally filed FFL paperwork. The letter continued to state that even without the background the DOJ had successfully recorded the firearm. Because of the confusion the DOJ told me they would not pursue any action for breaking the law, but to use a licensed FFL for all other transactions.

This could have gone a different way and the DOJ could have came to my door and taken the firearm. Instead they realized it was a mistake and threatened me like a normal person. I am sure if this was an ar 15 they would have taken the firearm and still given me a slap on the wrist because of my age. MY RECOMMENDATION DO NOT SCREW UP ANY PAPER WORK WITH THE DOJ!

Last edited by oc16; 03-08-2018 at 11:00 AM..
Old 03-08-2018, 12:19 AM

I'm on the younger side and a long time lurker so forgive me for just joining the conversation now, but I feel this is important and why i joined in the first place.

First I'll say I have been handling fire arms basically since I started grade school. I am too young (27) to own anything larger than a 10rd magazine. I have shot with larger capacities but have never directly felt a need to own one as my shooting has been restricted mostly to ranges, but occasionally private property.

Again, I have only been affected on a minimal level regarding what I own as my first semi-auto rifle was purchased Dec 2014. I transport my rifles compliant to the current laws and that is that. I generally shoot in Nevada County or on private property so I have not ran into any range masters or LEOs checking out my guns except to see what I have. Pretty gun friendly areas in general. I am always very polite and happy to answer any questions about what I have. If you met me in person you would have no idea that I am into guns unless you saw me pull out my Pelican case out of the car at range which I will admit is plastered with stickers for every optic and component on my rifles.

I guess in a way I go with the gray man philosophy. I never wear tactical style clothing, I don't have an NRA sticker on anything but my gun case, and I deliberately try to fly under the radar. I have noticed that when I show up to ranges occasionally that range masters look me over, but after my fiancee and I pull our gear out, demonstrate safe operation, and send some well placed rounds down range they give us the nod.

Having said that, while I am yet to have any issue, I do find the majority of the regulations we encounter in CA to be oppressive. I shoot primarily for sport and hunt once in a while. I do find the constant attack on gun owners to be grating. I live in the Bay Area and the vast majority of people I associate with do not approve. I have made my points many a time, but find unless I can get them out to shoot with me, they fall on deaf ears. I will give them credit for not blackballing me though.

I have been able to convert and even get a few into guns that were initially anti-gun including my fiancee.

I have never ran into compliance issues. Trying to convince others that are not on our side of the fence though... All day long. If it weren't scary, it would be hilarious how many people I have had to explain too that just because the word automatic is in semi-automatic do not mean I can just mag dump with a single pull.

Honestly, I do not understand why "may" issue counties exist and like wise, restrictions on magazine capacity. I have said this for a long time, I will happily take additional shooting course and additional background checks to qualify for what I want. But if I am going to be subjected to that, do not tell me that because one person did X I can't have Y. I have proven myself at that point. That is where my problem with compliance is.

I know this is not really what you asked for and long winded, but I think it is relevant. "Perception is reality" as they say, particularly in the uninitiated's eyes.

Last edited by worthingtontw; 03-08-2018 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 03-08-2018, 12:29 AM

My personal experience? If you were to search the homes of most of the gun owners around, you'd probably be able to file *under california law* at least 1 felony charge.

People just fly under the radar and do whatever they want knowing the DOJ can't track and charge every gun owner. You just have to be around it enough to see it. I could care less though, our laws are stupid and do nothing good for anyone.

Last edited by dwinters14; 03-08-2018 at 12:32 AM..
Old 03-08-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwinters14 View Post
My personal experience? If you were to search the homes of most of the gun owners around, you'd probably be able to file *under california law* at least 1 felony charge.

People just fly under the radar and do whatever they want knowing the DOJ can't track and charge every gun owner. You just have to be around it enough to see it. I could care less though, our laws are stupid and do nothing good for anyone.
Agreed
Old 03-08-2018, 12:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy93 View Post
I have.. but not exactly the story you are looking for.

I know first hand through documented police records and court pleadings of what happened and was hired to help.

Take this with a grain of salt, a guy was training his dog by biting its lips hard enough to get a strangers attention. Stranger called cops and man was approached by law enforcement regarding animal cruelty. During their questioning they asked the man if he had any firearms on him or in the car. The man said yes and the officers proceeded to inspect that the firearms were unloaded and locked in a container.

Unfortunately he had one revolver loaded in a duffel bag, an an AR without a bullet button along with high cap mags.

He was charged with possession of an assault weapon, possession of high cap mags, and possession of a loaded firearm In public.

His lawyer is currently awaiting a deal to drop the possession charges of the assault weapons and mags in lieu of pleading guilty to the misdemeanor charge of possessing a loaded weapon in public. Due to the shakey position the laws are regarding the stay on possession of high cap mag laws and the assault weapon exemption being until June 30.
I don't think your supposed to bite your dogs lips. I'm wondering why the dog didn't eat his face.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthingtontw View Post
I'm on the younger side and a long time lurker so forgive me for just joining the conversation now, but I feel this is important and why i joined in the first place.

First I'll say I have been handling fire arms basically since I started grade school. I am too young (27) to own anything larger than a 10rd magazine. I have shot with larger capacities but have never directly felt a need to own one as my shooting has been restricted mostly to ranges, but occasionally private property.

Again, I have only been affected on a minimal level regarding what I own as my first semi-auto rifle was purchased Dec 2014. I transport my rifles compliant to the current laws and that is that. I generally shoot in Nevada County or on private property so I have not ran into any range masters or LEOs checking out my guns except to see what I have. Pretty gun friendly areas in general. I am always very polite and happy to answer any questions about what I have. If you met me in person you would have no idea that I am into guns unless you saw me pull out my Pelican case out of the car at range which I will admit is plastered with stickers for every optic and component on my rifles.

I guess in a way I go with the gray man philosophy. I never wear tactical style clothing, I don't have an NRA sticker on anything but my gun case, and I deliberately try to fly under the radar. I have noticed that when I show up to ranges occasionally that range masters look me over, but after my fiancee and I pull our gear out, demonstrate safe operation, and send some well placed rounds down range they give us the nod.

Having said that, while I am yet to have any issue, I do find the majority of the regulations we encounter in CA to be oppressive. I shoot primarily for sport and hunt once in a while. I do find the constant attack on gun owners to be grating. I live in the Bay Area and the vast majority of people I associate with do not approve. I have made my points many a time, but find unless I can get them out to shoot with me, they fall on deaf ears. I will give them credit for not blackballing me though.

I have been able to convert and even get a few into guns that were initially anti-gun including my fiancee.

I have never ran into compliance issues. Trying to convince others that are not on our side of the fence though... All day long. If it weren't scary, it would be hilarious how many people I have had to explain too that just because the word automatic is in semi-automatic do not mean I can just mag dump with a single pull.

Honestly, I do not understand why "may" issue counties exist and like wise, restrictions on magazine capacity. I have said this for a long time, I will happily take additional shooting course and additional background checks to qualify for what I want. But if I am going to be subjected to that, do not tell me that because one person did X I can't have Y. I have proven myself at that point. That is where my problem with compliance is.

I know this is not really what you asked for and long winded, but I think it is relevant. "Perception is reality" as they say, particularly in the uninitiated's eyes.
Thank you for posting this, and as a fellow Bay Area resident I feel your pain regarding the prevailing attitudes around here.
Old 03-08-2018, 9:15 AM

I thank everyone so far, but still looking for anyone who has been prosecuted for any gun related charge with respect to current laws.

I am thinking that they are very few because I don't think many LEO's want anything to do with these laws.

I do know that only the Sheriffs will be the ones collecting guns as that is their mandate. Local Police don't have the authority to go door to door collecting guns. But like I said earlier I don't think their intention is to do mass confiscation, more a long game approach fueled by scare tactics.

The CA DOJ has got bigger problems with the Immigration BS going on and if they keep up their defiance of the Feds they will be doing it from jail.

And that will pretty much put an end to this Un-Constitutional BS. I mean really, Bracerra is going to prosecute business owners for assisting ICE? I don't see how he could actually do that,, but so many are scared of their own shadows he will have an effect.

Randy

Old 03-08-2018, 9:19 AM
Calguns Addict

We also read with regularity about legally configured weapons being confiscated during traffic stops. It usually takes a bit of time and effort to get them back. And they usually never get their standard capacity mags back.

It used to happen pretty often in years past. But not so much now due to efforts by Calguns and others to educate LEA's on how to identify legally configured guns.

IIRC, there were also the door to door confiscations that took place from supposedly prohibited persons. Government being government, often got those names and addresses wrong and confiscated from innocents.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 03-08-2018 at 9:22 AM..
Old 03-08-2018, 9:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Well I know somebody who, on the eve of the "hi cap" magazine possession ban date, took about 10-15 Glock magazines and smashed them up with a hammer to be in compliance ... only for the courts to put a stay on the ban (or whatever you call it in lawyer-speak) the next day.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 03-08-2018, 9:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

To be honest, I believe that most of those stupid gun laws are "tack on charges" type of laws. I believe that the cops don't go out looking for people not in compliance, but if they bust you for something else (domestic abuse, burglary, etc, etc, etc) and they find firearms that do not comply with the law, they use that to pile on more charges to make sure something sticks.. and possibly to get greater leverage for plea bargaining. For example, you're a petty drug dealer, selling something, but they find that you have 5 "high cap" magazines and a rifle with the "shoulder thing that goes up". They might tack on 6 charges for each violation, then offer to drop them if you cooperate and name names.

Just guessing.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 03-08-2018, 9:46 AM

No, I know of no one personally that has been arrested or had their firearms confiscated under any gun laws.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2018, 1:20 PM
Veteran Member

To the contrary, I know more people that do not comply (either just don't care, don't know or don't want to know) with the current spate of gun laws than I have read stories on here about non-prohibited persons getting their firearms taken or even checked. It does happen, but in my opinion (fwiw) is pretty rare.

I would say that every one of my in-laws have done illegal firearms transfers in the past. Granted, my ex-father-in_law used to be a cop and would regularly take handguns off perps and (hopefully after checking to see if they were stolen) distribute them to family members.
Old 03-08-2018, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
To be honest, I believe that most of those stupid gun laws are "tack on charges" type of laws. I believe that the cops don't go out looking for people not in compliance, but if they bust you for something else (domestic abuse, burglary, etc, etc, etc) and they find firearms that do not comply with the law, they use that to pile on more charges to make sure something sticks.. and possibly to get greater leverage for plea bargaining. For example, you're a petty drug dealer, selling something, but they find that you have 5 "high cap" magazines and a rifle with the "shoulder thing that goes up". They might tack on 6 charges for each violation, then offer to drop them if you cooperate and name names.

Just guessing.
That may change if more cities do what LA does and gives money for tips of "illegal" guns.
Old 03-08-2018, 3:47 PM

follow SalinasPoliceDepartment
Always provide a good laugh of OPs concerns.

https://www.facebook.com/SalinasPoli...56085199181704
Old 03-08-2018, 4:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
Well I know somebody who, on the eve of the "hi cap" magazine possession ban date, took about 10-15 Glock magazines and smashed them up with a hammer to be in compliance ... only for the courts to put a stay on the ban (or whatever you call it in lawyer-speak) the next day.
well that was dumb of that person.

why smash up perfectly good mags. he could have stored it in a friend's house outside of LA County and then list it for sale out of state.

or just donated them to the local PD, which i'm sure would gladly use the extra glock mags to supplement their own inventory.
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 03-08-2018, 7:22 PM

I know personally when houses were searched under a search warrant on unrelated case such as domestic violence or court order violations and some rifles were found. The owner was arrested for assault weapon violations. I believe there are more arrests and confiscation from search warrants than any other circumstances.

Last edited by micro911; 03-08-2018 at 7:25 PM..
Old 03-08-2018, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro911 View Post
I know personally when houses were searched under a search warrant on unrelated case such as domestic violence or court order violations and some rifles were found. The owner was arrested for assault weapon violations. I believe there are more arrests and confiscation from search warrants than any other circumstances.
This seem to be a common trend. A lot of these laws end up being tack-on laws. IMO if you're gonna do some stupid s**t and have the police rummaging through your stuff, have it all locked away in a safe.
Old 03-09-2018, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwinters14 View Post
This seem to be a common trend. A lot of these laws end up being tack-on laws. IMO if you're gonna do some stupid s**t and have the police rummaging through your stuff, have it all locked away in a safe.
Even you lock away the guns, they will ask for a consent to search. If no consent is given, they may find a reason to write a search warrant to search anyways. If you are prohibited person or under a restraining order that you cannot have guns and ammo, and if they find one cartridge somewhere in the house, you are giving them a reason to search.
Old 03-09-2018, 8:59 AM

So the general consensus is they are tack on charges.

So I guess if you are not a criminal you don't have too much to worry about?

Maybe common sense has a place here?

Randy