Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 03-03-2018, 7:53 PM

Sub 5 pound 5.56, with T1 and BUIS. Battle rifles are AK platform with Aimpoints and BUIS, and considerably heavier.
Old 03-04-2018, 6:58 AM
Veteran Member

Since I'm past the age of run and gun, my Garand as a scout rifle is probably 10+ pound with scope and tlr1 hp flashlight.
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 03-04-2018, 8:42 PM

14.5'' .223
Geissele mk14 handguard
SOLGW upper/lower/pencil barrel
magpul furniture
Aimpoint
DD backup irons
Surefire scout light
Extra batteries

8.5lb fully loaded. Honestly running a 1-4 isn't a terrible idea but I prefer a red dot. If I was super rich I'd get an ACOG but I don't want to fork out the $1500 for it. So my 50k hour aimpoint will suffice for now. Don't really need magnification but it would be a nice commodity.

Last edited by Jay-lee; 03-04-2018 at 8:44 PM..
Old 03-04-2018, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
5 lbs. 14.5" pined barrel. Aimpoint C3 red dot. Can't hit crap at 100 yards with it but it does go through walls...
Yep, scoot and shoot. The lighter the better. I’d personally use my AK pistol. Deadly up close and able to provide cover at distance.

If you need clarification of what you need as a SHTF rifle just take it hunting. You will figure out your style quickly.
Old 03-06-2018, 3:38 PM

Lrb m25 with nightforce shv, ill walk a couple hundred yards and call it a day. Jk probably my 20 inch ar with irons or ak with irons. Light and reliable
Old 03-07-2018, 10:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Guns? People on here own guns?!!!? I'm shocked!!!

Anyway, for mid-level threats fairly a moderately innocent looking Mini-14 weighs 6.5lbs or a very innocent looking Winchester 1894 in .357 weighs about the same. An "evil" looking M4 with a rail and military grade optics is closer to 8lbs. For high level threats a fairly innocent looking M1a is about 9-9.5lbs with stock iron sights. For SHTF the .357 will feed the family at at 100-150 yds or so, the 5.56s roughly the same. The 7.62 Nato should feed the family at 300-500 yds while medium-sized game lasts (days at best). Let's not forget .22s for small game (squirrels and rabbits) while it lasts (hours in an emergency). I'm a bug-in guy. In a genuine SHTF situation firearms are going to be more about defending stored supplies and the virtue of wives, GFs, and daughters from local predators than it is going to be about hunting or bugging out. In that case the number of armed, well-trained, and psychologically prepared teammates is going to be the difference between life (and virtue) and death. In other words, you aren't going to live off the fat of the land, not with 30-40 million others city dwellers tromping around in the wild looking for rats, squirrels, or rabbits to eat. You'll need a well trained family and a squad or platoon sized team of well trained and drilled friends and family to defend what you all have communially stored in a central location - at least if eating and water and the virtue of family members interests you at all. Otherwise a gang is just going to come take it all and feast on your food and enjoy your wives and daughters.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 03-07-2018 at 11:01 PM..
Old 03-08-2018, 2:42 AM

Ahem, not that I own any guns... yet a bare-bone 4.7 lbs (unloaded weight) Kel-Tec SU-16CA would do for me.

Fold it and put it in a backpack (or BOB) and keep it low-key.

Nope, not a battle rifle, but should be enough to get me out of trouble.
Old 03-08-2018, 6:18 AM
Hooligan
CGN Contributor

The Browning M2 is a bit much to carry, but I plan on bugging in and keeping the marauders at bay...... far far FAR away!

Besides, I'm still having problems finding reloading dies for the 105 Howitzer.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid" -Han Solo

"A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"
Old 03-08-2018, 10:09 PM

I'm running a trimmed down S&W MP 15 with Bushnell scope and flip up red dot. I have it with sights down to 5.3lbs unloaded

My long range is the Sig 716
Old 03-08-2018, 11:20 PM

3lbs.

That's because if SHTF I most likely won't be walking around with a rifle, but a concealed handgun. My rifle would be posted up in either my vehicle or bag on my back considering NG, and LEO will still be around and some dude walking around with a rifle will be a prime target.

This way I can move around and do what I need to do without attracting attention. In that environment, water/food & first aid will be my top priorities. My rifle will most likely be where I'll be barricaded.
Old 03-12-2018, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwinters14 View Post
3lbs.

That's because if SHTF I most likely won't be walking around with a rifle, but a concealed handgun. My rifle would be posted up in either my vehicle or bag on my back considering NG, and LEO will still be around and some dude walking around with a rifle will be a prime target.

This way I can move around and do what I need to do without attracting attention. In that environment, water/food & first aid will be my top priorities. My rifle will most likely be where I'll be barricaded.
This is a good point. Too many people believe that in a SHTF situation they’ll just be trotting around with an AR strapped to their back all the time. Obviously there are some scenarios where that would be the case but considering the most likely scenarios, having a rifle on your person makes you a big target.

Everyone should have their SHTF rifle though. It’s a much better fighting weapon than a handgun. I do personally believe that having a good handgun and being proficient with it is more useful in terms of defense in a SHTF situation. You can conceal it with you anywhere and not be considered a threat or target.
Old 03-12-2018, 9:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Bone stock type 56 sks. Kinda heavy but not bad

-Clint Smith
Old 03-12-2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyAdeline View Post
Bone stock type 56 sks. Kinda heavy but not bad
Awesome featureless rifle. I’d love to own one.
Old 03-12-2018, 5:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak18 View Post
Awesome featureless rifle. I’d love to own one.
In my top favorite long guns for sure. Rugged, dependable, and battle accurate.

I’ve got enough good stripper clips to keep 2k+ rounds ready to go.

Plus it loves cheap steel ammo which let’s me shoot even more. And if I run out, I can make it stabby lol.

There’s a nice factory 26 in the classifieds for a good deal right now.

-Clint Smith
Old 03-12-2018, 7:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
Keep the binos, so you don't have to point your rifle at something unknown.
Glassing an area can take time. You also don't want to do it with an 8lb rifle at your cheek. (Secondary reason for good bios.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by axhoaxho View Post
Ahem, not that I own any guns... yet a bare-bone 4.7 lbs (unloaded weight) Kel-Tec SU-16CA would do for me.
Fold it and put it in a backpack (or BOB) and keep it low-key.
Nope, not a battle rifle, but should be enough to get me out of trouble.
Yep. On the DL.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams