Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 03-01-2018, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downdiver2 View Post
I speak FUD - Darnit - My bad - my employer address is listed on my permit. Sorry, its been in my wallet and it hasnt seen the light of day in a few
The want/need to be able to keep track of their permit holders. Very county -centric. It's good all over the state, and 17 other states, but issued by ORANGE COUNTY. They want to make damn sure you're a resident cuz their neck is on the line.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
The want/need to be able to keep track of their permit holders. Very county -centric. It's good all over the state, and 17 other states, but issued by ORANGE COUNTY. They want to make damn sure you're a resident cuz their neck is on the line.
Yep. I would think it is easy to verify me. My property taxes are good and I live near 3 deputies that personally know me. :-)
Old 03-01-2018, 10:20 AM

They have now asked for more supporting evidence. Photos, dates of specific activities, etc. They are definitely more thorough than in the past. Not complaining, happy to see them still issuing.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:33 PM

My timeline:
12/03/2017 - Application submission
01/19/2018 - Initial interview
01/19/2018 - Live scan
02/05/2018 - Turned in training cert
03/01/2018 - Approval call/email. Picking up tomorrow =)

I don't think I ever got a residence check.

~12.5 weeks total time.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:22 PM

Hey guys, it's time for me to renew and my computer took a dump. With the new online process, and my limited computer skills, can I use a smart phone?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie06 View Post
Hey guys, it's time for me to renew and my computer took a dump. With the new online process, and my limited computer skills, can I use a smart phone?

Technically, yes. It will be difficult to upload the supporting documents, so you will be better off finding a friend with a computer, or going to the library.
Old 03-02-2018, 4:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie06 View Post

I used a smart phone. Just download a free scanner app to scan your docs and you're GTG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-05-2018, 6:12 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Anyone else still waiting on OCSD after meeting all the requirements? I'm on week 5 of having a fully completed packet and no word from them; they wouldn't even give me an ETA or a status update when I called other than "it's in the final review, don't call us, we'll call you, etc etc". I'm wondering if there are others in the same boat or if this means I'm about to get denied.
Old 03-05-2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
Anyone else still waiting on OCSD after meeting all the requirements? I'm on week 5 of having a fully completed packet and no word from them; they wouldn't even give me an ETA or a status update when I called other than "it's in the final review, don't call us, we'll call you, etc etc". I'm wondering if there are others in the same boat or if this means I'm about to get denied.
Whether an application is approved or denied during any step of the process, the applicant shall be notified in writing within 90 days of the initial application or within 30 days after receipt of the applicant's criminal background check from the California DOJ, whichever is later. If the license is denied, the notice shall state which requirement was not satisfied (Penal Code § 26205).
Old 03-05-2018, 8:16 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by igs View Post
Whether an application is approved or denied during any step of the process, the applicant shall be notified in writing within 90 days of the initial application or within 30 days after receipt of the applicant's criminal background check from the California DOJ, whichever is later. If the license is denied, the notice shall state which requirement was not satisfied (Penal Code § 26205).
Interesting. The part that I bolded--is that part of the Livescan, or does the department conduct their own check with the DOJ independently of the Livescan? Because it has definitely been more than 30 days since the OCSD received and approved my Livescan results, and we're coming up on 90 days since the initial application.

Guess I'll go back to waiting patiently until I hit that 90 day mark.
Old 03-05-2018, 9:14 PM
Veteran Member

OCSD can run an investigation into your background and probably does in cases where the scan results indicate the need to take a deeper look into things, but I think that would be unusual.
Old 03-06-2018, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Interesting. The part that I bolded--is that part of the Livescan, or does the department conduct their own check with the DOJ independently of the Livescan? Because it has definitely been more than 30 days since the OCSD received and approved my Livescan results, and we're coming up on 90 days since the initial application.

Guess I'll go back to waiting patiently until I hit that 90 day mark.
It's the live scan. But it's also the later of the two, so if you're not at 90 days yet then you still got some time to wait.
Old 03-06-2018, 8:08 AM

Quote:
I am in the same situation. My original interview was supposed to be on Feb 22, 2018 but I was able to reschedule to Jan 22, 2018. Everything went fine. I had already done my Live Scan on Jan 17 and turned in my training on January 29th. I have been waiting since then. Sent them an email on Feb 22, 2018 and they responded promptly. Per the email they stated that my file was complete and has been submitted to the administration for final review. They will contact me once a decision has been rendered or if they need any further information.
Old 03-06-2018, 8:13 AM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFCFO View Post
I am in the same situation. My original interview was supposed to be on Feb 22, 2018 but I was able to reschedule to Jan 22, 2018. Everything went fine. I had already done my Live Scan on Jan 17 and turned in my training on January 29th. I have been waiting since then. Sent them an email on Feb 22, 2018 and they responded promptly. Per the email they stated that my file was complete and has been submitted to the administration for final review. They will contact me once a decision has been rendered or if they need any further information.

Man, my story is very similar to yours. Similar dates and all. I wonder what is going on over there that is causing this to take so long.
Old 03-06-2018, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Man, my story is very similar to yours. Similar dates and all. I wonder what is going on over there that is causing this to take so long.
Take so long? Just last year the waiting period was 7 months, 2016 it was 12-16 months. I would be happy and cordial with them as they have sped the process up considerably.
Old 03-06-2018, 8:38 AM
Veteran Member

My package was complete and in line for final review about the same time. Regardless of what the code says about when the the decision has to be made, I don't know if I would give the CCW unit any grief unless it failed to reach a decision significantly beyond the statutory 90/30 day period and I wasn't given any reason for the delay. Then again, changing circumstances necessitate that I preserve a neutral stance vis-a-vis law enforcement.
Old 03-06-2018, 9:26 AM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by downdiver2 View Post
Take so long? Just last year the waiting period was 7 months, 2016 it was 12-16 months. I would be happy and cordial with them as they have sped the process up considerably.
Yeah, and when I lived in Arizona the total turnaround for my ccw permit--training class and all--was about three weeks. My wait time from OCSD since I first contacted them for an interview is five months now. I get the whole Stockholm syndrome attitude you have, but god damn, we are allowed to be pissed off over being denied our 2A rights for so long. As chewy said, however, we don't really have a choice but to shut up and keep politely waiting. The joys of living in a may-issue jurisdiction.
Old 03-06-2018, 1:55 PM
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that the wait in Orange County has been drastically shortened because the OCSD chose to allocate additional personnel and resources to the CCW unit. The wait is much longer in other counties, such as San Bernardino, where the sheriff claims to lack the funds to better staff its CCW unit. Rumor also has it that the new online system has somehow slowed down the process.
Old 03-06-2018, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
Keep in mind that the wait in Orange County has been drastically shortened because the OCSD chose to allocate additional personnel and resources to the CCW unit. The wait is much longer in other counties, such as San Bernardino, where the sheriff claims to lack the funds to better staff its CCW unit. Rumor also has it that the new online system has somehow slowed down the process.
Ummm isn't it Riverside that claims to lack funds?
Old 03-06-2018, 2:55 PM
Veteran Member

Perhaps, my point was the OCSD has devoted funds while other counties have not and blame their delay on the shortage of funds. But per this article Riverside County takes up to two years, which Sheriff Sheriff blames on the lack of finances. Meanwhile, 4 cities in Riverside County have contracted to have licenses processed by a private company, CWWs, which charges 3 times as much as Riverside County but can get it done in 18 days.
Old 03-06-2018, 4:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yeah, and when I lived in Arizona the total turnaround for my ccw permit--training class and all--was about three weeks.
But that permit wasn't recognized in California. Recognition takes time in a "may issue" environment.

Quote:
As chewy said, however, we don't really have a choice but to shut up and keep politely waiting. The joys of living in a may-issue jurisdiction.
In my little slice of the fruitcake state (Sacramento County) we have a Sheriff who has accelerated issuance and has been excoriated by legislators and politicians for both the process and the costs. An election is coming, and we are waiting to see what progressively-financed nightmare awaits.

Enjoy the South.
Old 03-08-2018, 7:19 PM

Hello all.

Recently at work we’ve had an issue with a former employee who has called and harassed the office, we’ve had similar issues with this same employee in the past. We’ve called the oc police and of course there’s not much they can do unless he actually shows up to our office which he has done in the past numerous times but that was years ago. This last time he rattled everyone so much that we actually locked down our office in case he did show up as he said he would.

My question is, I don’t live in Orange County but I do work there and spend 10-12 hours a day at the office. Any chance I could get a ccw based on my work location? I’m assuming not but was wondering if anyone else had tried based on similar circumstances.

By they way, I live in Los Angeles county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2018, 5:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalikool View Post
Hello all.

Recently at work we’ve had an issue with a former employee who has called and harassed the office, we’ve had similar issues with this same employee in the past. We’ve called the oc police and of course there’s not much they can do unless he actually shows up to our office which he has done in the past numerous times but that was years ago. This last time he rattled everyone so much that we actually locked down our office in case he did show up as he said he would.

My question is, I don’t live in Orange County but I do work there and spend 10-12 hours a day at the office. Any chance I could get a ccw based on my work location? I’m assuming not but was wondering if anyone else had tried based on similar circumstances.

LA County doesn't issue. Orange County knows this, and I doubt would issue to you. If they did, the license would be severely constrained: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=26220.

CA PEN 26210.
Quote:
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section and in subdivision (c) of Section 26210, a license issued pursuant to Section 26150 or 26155 is valid for any period of time not to exceed two years from the date of the license.
(b) If the licensee’s place of employment or business was the basis for issuance of a license pursuant to Section 26150, the license is valid for any period of time not to exceed 90 days from the date of the license. The license shall be valid only in the county in which the license was originally issued. The licensee shall give a copy of this license to the licensing authority of the city, county, or city and county in which the licensee resides. The licensing authority that originally issued the license shall inform the licensee verbally and in writing in at least 16-point type of this obligation to give a copy of the license to the licensing authority of the city, county, or city and county of residence. Any application to renew or extend the validity of, or reissue, the license may be granted only upon the concurrence of the licensing authority that originally issued the license and the licensing authority of the city, county, or city and county in which the licensee resides.
Old 03-09-2018, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Hello all.

No. And you can't shoot someone for showing up somewhere.
If there's a threat look into getting a restraining order to keep him away from the building, or for a threatened individual there.

My sister's daughter's husband got a restraining order against her other daughter's husband at their place of business. Family get togethers have never been the same.
Old 03-12-2018, 8:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You would only get a 3 month license but this could make harder for LA to deny you after your OC lic expired. Of course we all know that LA County SO,
LAPD and politicians are sin verquenza.
If you end up on the news better you're telling the story and it's not a story about your deceased victimhood. Be discreet. I doubt OC LEO will hold things against you if you carry commando. You could shoot an aggressor in a righteous shoot and pay legal fees of $50 K w/o damages.

Last edited by marcusrn; 03-12-2018 at 8:37 AM..
Old 03-14-2018, 1:27 PM

My timeline:
March 8 - application submitted online
March11 - class and livescan
March14 - interview and permit in hand

6 days start to finish and was impressed with the friendliness of the sheriff’s department. Very smooth.
Old 03-14-2018, 1:28 PM

My timeline:

6 days start to finish and was impressed with the friendliness of the sheriff’s department. Very smooth.
Old 03-14-2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaUnchained View Post
My timeline:

Wow. That's amazing. Congratulations!
Old 03-14-2018, 7:45 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
My timeline:

Wow, congratulations. Yet another data point consistent over the past few pages--if you get your livescan and training done before the interview, you get your permit immediately. If not, you get shuffled into the "**** this guy's 2A rights" pile. New applicants take note.
Old 03-14-2018, 7:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My timeline:

Congratulations! That is nailing it. Many have had to wait months just to get an interview and then a month or several months for approval after their file was complete and ready for approval.
Old 03-14-2018, 8:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Wow, congratulations. Yet another data point consistent over the past few pages--if you get your livescan and training done before the interview, you get your permit immediately. If not, you get shuffled into the "**** this guy's 2A rights" pile. New applicants take note.
But the 9th Circuit says the 2A doesn't extend to concealed carry and SCOTUS refused to take up the question. Forget what the DC Circuit said about "good reason" and the 7th about the right to bear and keep extending beyond the home.

Still, it is hard to blame all of this on the OCSD. At one time it was a different story, but it seems to be trying to do the right thing.
Old 03-14-2018, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Yep, OCSD confirmed this when I picked up.
Old 03-15-2018, 8:32 AM
Veteran Member

With everything having been done and the file in pending for several weeks, do you think it would be faster to withdraw one's application and apply for another on line? Their training certificate and scan results would already be done and paid for.

Last edited by Chewy65; 03-15-2018 at 8:36 AM..
Old 03-15-2018, 8:49 AM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
With everything having been done and the file in pending for several weeks, do you think it would be faster to withdraw one's application and apply for another on line? Their training certificate and scan results would already be done and paid for.
Haha, there's thinking outside the box. Isn't there a question on the app that goes something like "have you ever applied for a CCW and been denied for any reason..."
Old 03-15-2018, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Erroneous assumption.

You would only have to wait for live scan processing and to submit your training certificate. There is no evidence that you get 'shuffled' if you do these after your initial. FUD
Old 03-15-2018, 9:43 AM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Erroneous assumption.

You would only have to wait for live scan processing and to submit your training certificate. There is no evidence that you get 'shuffled' if you do these after your initial. FUD
Okay, there actually is evidence, but we're all being coy and speaking via private messages because the relatively low volume of CCW applicants in OC means it would be pretty easy for OCSD to identify us if we openly discussed specific dates and details. There are a number of us who have perfectly complete application packets and the Department has kept us waiting for weeks/months with no explanation other than "please keep waiting, we don't have an update for you."
Old 03-15-2018, 11:14 AM

Has anyone reached the 90 days since the initiated the application or the 30 days since their background check (which ever is later) and called to get an answer about their application's status? I'm curious what the response is.

It is interesting how people are posting that they get their approval at their interview if all of their paperwork is completed before showing up.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:15 AM
Ball Pimp 4 Border Collie
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Hello all.

You can carry on the property with permission from the owner of the property or the owner of the business renting the property. No need for a permit.
Old 03-16-2018, 2:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: In rebel held territory. Long live the Confederacy!

Quote:
Hello all.

Simple answer is move to OC!!
"Life Is Hard. Its Harder When You're Stupid"-John Wayne!
"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!
Old 03-16-2018, 6:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Haha, there's thinking outside the box. Isn't there a question on the app that goes something like "have you ever applied for a CCW and been denied for any reason..."
If you withdraw your application before it is denied or approved, you would honestly answer "No" to such a question. It was never denied. Anyway, I am being sarcastic and not recommending withdrawing and filing a new application.