Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2018, 6:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsavvy View Post
has anyone been approved registration with a Raddlock BB? Do you have to have the Raddlock 'relock' or is standard raddlock bb good to go?

any other recommendations?
Just got my letter yesterday. 3 rifles. All had standard Radlocks.

Last edited by StuckInTheP.R.O.Ca; 02-18-2018 at 6:56 PM..
Old 02-16-2018, 7:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC400 View Post
I got it working by using all caps. Otherwise it showed an error.

The system keeps getting an error message. I have had to start all over at least ten times now. Seems to be worst with the image upload. I finally got past that once, and it crashed on the final submit.

My average file size is 4.53MB. The picture sizes are all 5312x2988.

This is the message I get about half the time I try and upload the image.

An unexpected error has occurred

Please report this error to your system administrator or appropriate technical support personnel. Thank you for your cooperation.

Maybe try another browser, I worked ok on chrome. I did see that error once though.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydave View Post
Got my letter today. Website still shows in progress.
Got my letter a few weeks ago, I have a feeling that on CFARS that the status will be IN PROGRESS indefinitely.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsavvy View Post
has anyone been approved registration with a Raddlock BB? Do you have to have the Raddlock 'relock' or is standard raddlock bb good to go?

any other recommendations?
I got my letter for two of my rifles. They both have Raddlocks and were processed without a problem.
Old 02-17-2018, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob5819 View Post
More information on timing for anyone interested.
6+ weeks and counting. Worries me that others got theirs so fast.
Old 02-17-2018, 5:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Hmmm
I submitted 7 and got 5 acknowledgements the next day. 2 nothing. They were the ones that I made comments on. So I think they kick the difficult ones upstairs to the brains of the dept. They might be slower.
Old 02-17-2018, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

I waited 28 weeks, so I would not be too worried

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2018, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedediah Munroe View Post
I waited 28 weeks, so I would not be too worried

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I submitted Mid Dec 2017 and still nothing. I emailed them and was told they will not provide an update until it has been at least 90 days. After 90 days you can send them your personal info for them to look into it.

So far it just shows In Progress.

Informative Reviews
Old 02-17-2018, 4:10 PM

Default I give up, take all my weapons California laWS are just way to NuTTS! :)

Just venting have a great day.
Old 02-17-2018, 6:21 PM

I just finished the process and received my approval today. I had a mix of all sorts of variations, including pistols, rifles, factory receivers and self-made from both aluminum and polymer. It took me about a month to get the serial numbers from the DOJ. It took a few weeks to get the self-made items serialized because no one seems to have capacity. I had to serialize the polymers myself with a laser I got on ebay for about $90 because NO ONE would touch them. Note that if you get them in before the June 2018 deadline, there is no requirement that they have metal in them, but the FFLs I spoke to did not care.

So after all of them were marked I photographed them. My initial attempt was with a DSLR, but I ended up using a camera phone because I could get closer, clearer images. I submitted Left and Right Receiver photos, an overall photo, a bullet button photo and a bonus closeup of the serialization.

On my initial upload to CFARS, I had to check all the features for the pistols because the handguard is considered both a shroud and a second grip. Also, don't forget to check "U S" as the make in the system and then add your own name in the comments box.

From the time of the initial submittal to the first "kick back" was 12 days (I had a few issues with some of the pictures and didn't check all the correct feature boxes the first time). After 2 days of reentering info, I got confirmation that all of the uploads were successful and processing began 2 days later. I received the letter in the mail 8 days after that, although the letter was dated 4 days after the successful submission.

So it sounds like they are getting their act together.

The longest part of the process was getting them serialized, so if you are waiting on that, I would recommend starting ASAP.
Old 02-17-2018, 7:09 PM

Started in mid December and had multiple kick backs. Cleared all kickbacks and within 2 weeks have my approval letter. Cost me 14 hour of work to get them all done. CA is the BEST.
Old 02-17-2018, 7:16 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithson View Post
Cost me 14 hour of work to get them all done. CA is the BEST.
Well the important thing is that you had fun

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2018, 7:18 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

It's been a while since I've made any updates to the guide, and the last updates were before anyone even had any approvals. I've also not been following this as closely as I should... So I want to ask, does anyone have any suggestions, now that we've had a fair amount of experience with the DOJ's handling of this, of any major updates I should make?

Old 02-17-2018, 7:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
It's been a while since I've made any updates to the guide, and the last updates were before anyone even had any approvals. I've also not been following this as closely as I should... So I want to ask, does anyone have any suggestions, now that we've had a fair amount of experience with the DOJ's handling of this, of any major updates I should make?

Anything other than plain old ARs will most likely get delayed. Be ready.
Old 02-17-2018, 8:26 PM

Quote:

The only comment I had was that I had engraved my own serial number before I was issue a DOJ serial. I was kicked back and asked to add that in the "other serial number" box. Curiously, they only kicked back some of them, but I went ahead an added it for all.
Old 02-17-2018, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

From what I have gathered from my experience and others:

*If the receiver is marked "multi-cal" they will insist that you select "interchangeable barrels".

*If there is no caliber marking on your receiver they will insist you select a caliber and will likely request a photo of a caliber stamp on your barrel.

* For pistols with forward handguard they will insist that you select "forward pistol grip"
Old 02-17-2018, 9:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I know I ran into compatibility issues. The CFARS website ran wonky as hell on my laptop. My laptop has decent specs (Windows 10, Intel Core i5, 8G ram, 1 TB hd) but I guess CFARS does not like Microsoft Edge browser. I have read that CFARS runs much better with Google Chrome. I ended up having to complete the application process on my desktop. My desktop does not spec as good as my laptop but my desktop runs Windows 7 with Internet Explorer browser and I had no issues with CFARS on the desktop...

Submitted applications for 2 rifles on 1/31 and I got a e-mail notice for results incoming in the mail on one rifle and the other rifle is under review...

36 seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A of treachery...
Old 02-18-2018, 7:10 AM

Default Suggested fixes to the guide

Quote:
...does anyone have any suggestions, now that we've had a fair amount of experience with the DOJ's handling of this, of any major updates I should make?
Yes, two showstoppers in the guide that I hit:
  • Quote:
    Caliber: select "Firearm with interchangeable barrels" at the bottom of the list. All firearms have interchangeable barrels, so always select this caliber choice.
    This results in kickbacks! If your receiver is stamped with a single caliber, you must select that caliber. Only if your receiver is marked with multiple calibers (e.g., .223/5.56) can you select interchangeable barrels.
  • Quote:
    Proof of Residency for each joint registrant, if applicable. Proof of residency is NOT required for the primary registrant, unless you are active military permanently stationed in CA.
    This is not correct! The proof of residency must be provided for the primary registrant or it will be kicked back. Secondary residents must include their own proof of residency along with the primary registrant's in a single file.

Other suggestions:
  • Quote:
    Enter the date acquired
    Date acquired for joint registrants was a tricky sounding issue. But actually you just need to put the same DROS date that was put for the primary registrant. This would be very helpful info to share in the guide.
  • Quote:
    Color: select "Other, Multicolor", since it's virtually impossible that your entire rifle is only one single color.
    If you have a firearm that is one color for all intents and purposes, such as a typical AR-15, you can select "Black", and it will definitely be accepted. This seems the safer option than "Multicolor", although I don't know if selecting "Multicolor" has caused kickbacks.

Last edited by blahblah; 02-18-2018 at 5:52 PM..
Old 02-18-2018, 7:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by soca View Post
I had to serialize the polymers myself with a laser I got on ebay for about $90 because NO ONE would touch them. Note that if you get them in before the June 2018 deadline, there is no requirement that they have metal in them, but the FFLs I spoke to did not care.
If I understand correctly you were able to register polymers that were serialized without a metal plate embedded?

Was there a source where DOJ said they'd accept this?

Do they need to be a DOJ provided serial or can the ones that were already in place be used as long as they meet ATF?

THANKS!
Old 02-19-2018, 2:15 AM

started registration tonight for my two rifles .Both were purchased through private party at rifle gear in 2016. I can not find my record of sale paper work. There are a few questions I can not answer because of that. What was the date I purchased, the sellers name and his address. Because I can not answer those questions, how should I move foward
thanks
Old 02-19-2018, 2:15 AM

started registration tonight for my two rifles .Both were purchased through private party at rifle gear in 2016. I can not find my record of sale paper work. There are a few questions I can not answer because of that. What was the date I purchased, the sellers name and his address. Because I can not answer those questions, how should I move foward
thanks
Old 02-19-2018, 6:49 AM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatarush View Post
thanks
For acquired from, etc. you should just be able to put in riflegear’s info since they submitted the DROS. You can find that on their website.

For the date, do you take photos with your cell phone? Are there any photos you remember taking around the time you bought the firearms that will get you close to the date, then take a look at a calendar and think, “hey, I remember I started DROS on a Saturday” and you can figure the exact date that way.

If that fails, give riflegear a call and tell them your situation. They’ll probably help you if they can.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:35 AM

Default Procedure for multiple AWs?

I tried to search this thread for an answer but could not come up with a hit. I have 9 BB ARs that I need to start the registration process on. I was going to wait until the court ruled but I am thinking that I could run out of time if I wait.

Do I have to complete all of the information on the first one before I start inputting the information on the next one. Or can I provide the information that I presently know for one and then start the next one with the ability to go back and fill in any missing information, including photos, when I have that information. And then, when everything is complete, submit the whole thing for one fee?

If this question has been answered please just give the post number.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Best thing to do is to first update your profile with your personal info. This will make sense when you start doing multiple rifles.

Once you finish one, you need to go to the top left and click on the registration link and start the process all over for EACH one and add each one to the cart.

At then end of all of it, you pay for it all at once in your cart for a total of $15 regardless of how many.

Make sure to notate your CRIS number if you plan on doing a joint registration for your wife or kids.
Old 02-19-2018, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
Best thing to do is to first update your profile with your personal info. This will make sense when you start doing multiple rifles.

Once you finish one, you need to go to the top left and click on the registration link and start the process all over for EACH one and add each one to the cart.

At then end of all of it, you pay for it all at once in your cart for a total of $15 regardless of how many.

Make sure to notate your CRIS number if you plan on doing a joint registration for your wife or kids.
So are you saying that I have to finish the first one before I can start the second one? What if there is something that is incomplete with one or more of the rifles? Can they be edited before the final submission to pay the $15? With 9 rifles this will take some time and it would be nice if I could work on them over a couple of days.
Old 02-19-2018, 2:35 PM

champu your advice was excellent. Rifle gear helped to answer all the questions
Old 02-19-2018, 4:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
So are you saying that I have to finish the first one before I can start the second one? What if there is something that is incomplete with one or more of the rifles? Can they be edited before the final submission to pay the $15? With 9 rifles this will take some time and it would be nice if I could work on them over a couple of days.

Start one and go far enough to screenshot the boxes you have to fill-in... note that the form changes for some choices like who you acquired the firearm from.

Stop. With those screenshots gather all the info you need for each with the best you can do at having it all! Then start.
Old 02-19-2018, 9:30 PM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
Do I have to complete all of the information on the first one before I start inputting the information on the next one. Or can I provide the information that I presently know for one and then start the next one with the ability to go back and fill in any missing information, including photos, when I have that information. And then, when everything is complete, submit the whole thing for one fee?
While you can go back and update items in your cart before submitting and paying the fee, the website won’t let you add a form to the cart unless it’s complete. Anything not in the cart is forgotten when you leave the site. So to “save progress” mid-firearm you’d have to put placeholder information into the form so that it will let you add it to your cart. This, I think, would be quite prone to errors and is probably ill-advised.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:09 PM

""Other suggestions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked
Enter the date acquired
Date acquired for joint registrants was a tricky sounding issue. But actually you just need to put the same DROS date that was put for the primary registrant. This would be very helpful info to share in the guide.
Quote:""

Here's my question regarding joint registration for my wife. We got married AFTER I acquired my rifles. So I read elsewhere to put our wedding date for her acquired date. It would be incorrect to state she acquired it before.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsupsam View Post
""Other suggestions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked
Enter the date acquired
Quote:""

Here's my question regarding joint registration for my wife. We got married AFTER I acquired my rifles. So I read elsewhere to put our wedding date for her acquired date. It would be incorrect to state she acquired it before.

They are unlikely to be opposed to you using ANY date that is after the DROS date. She could not have had it before then, but could have had access to it at any time after even though she legally would not have had claim to it (and still does not by the way, firearms are not joint property they are assets that must be sold during a divorce proceeding).
Old 02-20-2018, 12:09 AM

Default Dros info question? Need to register AW

Well I have to register my vepr12 as a AW, but don't have the dros paper or info on the date purchased. Though I do know it was July 2014 because it's around my girlfriends birthday so I knew the month but dont know the exact day. Problem is I purchased it from Annies guns in Fremont but they closed the end of 2017 and are suppose to open up under new management this year. How would I go about getting the dros info on the day I purchased it because I can't register it as a assault weapon without the date purchased. Any help would be great.
Old 02-20-2018, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18bturboek9 View Post
Well I have to register my vepr12 as a AW, but don't have the dros paper or info on the date purchased. Though I do know it was July 2014 because it's around my girlfriends birthday so I knew the month but dont know the exact day. Problem is I purchased it from Annies guns in Fremont but they closed the end of 2017 and are suppose to open up under new management this year. How would I go about getting the dros info on the day I purchased it because I can't register it as a assault weapon without the date purchased. Any help would be great.
Look up your credit card statements online and search for Annie’s guns. They would have charged you the DROs and other fees the day thr DROs started.

If that won’t work submit the AW registration with your best guess of the date and out in the comments section that youre making your best guess. People have reported they will just kick it back and tell you the correct date (from their DROs records) to put in and resubmit. Not a big deal just explain everything in comments so you don’t perjure yourself.
Old 02-20-2018, 2:18 PM

COCKEDANDGLOCKED, A FEW SUGGESTIONS FOR UPDATING THE GUIDE:

Summarizing what blahblah wrote above:

The proof of residency must be provided for the primary registrant or it will be kicked back.

AND

+1 From my experience registering (all day!) today.

I also followed the advice in making my photos the minimal size mentioned. But now I'm second-guessing myself as they can't be enlarged enough to actually read the serial number. And so now I'm wondering if that will cause my applications to be delayed if they decide to ask me for clearer photos showing legible serial numbers.

And I've read of a few people mentioning a requirement when registering (AR-style) pistols in having to check off boxes for forward grip and barrel shroud just because they have a standard hand guard. If it can be determined that this is actually the case for a lot of people, then a note to that affect in an updated guide would be helpful.
Nehemiah 4:13-18 I stationed the families at our vulnerable spots with their weapons. The men worked in shifts to rebuild our walls; one half worked while the other half guarded. Each of the workers had his weapon either at his side or in his hand while he worked.

Last edited by jsmith8918; 02-20-2018 at 2:27 PM..
Old 02-21-2018, 8:27 PM

Hello everyone,
I have been thinking of registering my rifles but the issue I have is I don’t remember when I bought them, and I don’t remember form who I bought them. I tried looking for the paper work with no luck. I don’t remember year or anything.
Old 02-22-2018, 1:21 AM

Has anyone successfully registered who is not a US citizen? I'm thinking to add my wife as a joint registrant, and she is a permanent resident with a valid green card. Can she register? Would there be any problem with this scenario? I see the CFARS form asks for the Alien Registration Number. Is there any other documentation required?

And another question about AR pistol. I have a 5.56 AR15 pistol that is under 26" OAL. I see people are saying you have to check the forward grip (actual term is "Second Handgrip" on the CFARS form) box. So, my question is, wouldn't a second/forward grip on an AR pistol less than 26" be a violation of Federal NFA law? How do I deal with that?
Old 02-22-2018, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrs View Post
And another question about AR pistol. I have a 5.56 AR15 pistol that is under 26" OAL. I see people are saying you have to check the forward grip (actual term is "Second Handgrip" on the CFARS form) box. So, my question is, wouldn't a second/forward grip on an AR pistol less than 26" be a violation of Federal NFA law? How do I deal with that?
NFA rules specifically restrict the use of a 2nd "vertical" handgrip on a pistol unless it's an AOW. The CA DOJ description makes no such vertical, angled or otherwise designations. In fact, you don't have to have an attachment at all for the DOJ to require the "2nd handgrip" characteristic. My AK pistol reg was kicked back, because I didn't have the "second handgrip" feature selected for the wood forearm that can be held.
Old 02-22-2018, 9:22 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrs View Post
Has anyone successfully registered who is not a US citizen? I'm thinking to add my wife as a joint registrant, and she is a permanent resident with a valid green card. Can she register? Would there be any problem with this scenario? I see the CFARS form asks for the Alien Registration Number. Is there any other documentation required?
I don't know if anyone has or hasn't successfully done a joint-registration with a non-citizen, but neither the Regulations nor the Penal Code specifically prohibit it. Yes, you would need her Alien Registration Number, but no further proof of citizenship status should be required. She will need to provide additional docs showing her Proof of Residency, though, the same as any joint registrant would need to do.

Her citizenship status should not affect her ability to register, so long as she is not prohibited from possessing a firearm.
Old 02-22-2018, 9:43 AM

Thanks for the explanation. The commingling and overlapping federal and state laws just make one feel every step is a potential trap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbully View Post
NFA rules specifically restrict the use of a 2nd "vertical" handgrip on a pistol unless it's an AOW. The CA DOJ description makes no such vertical, angled or otherwise designations. In fact, you don't have to have an attachment at all for the DOJ to require the "2nd handgrip" characteristic. My AK pistol reg was kicked back, because I didn't have the "second handgrip" feature selected for the wood forearm that can be held.
Thank you for the confirmation.
Quote:
I don't know if anyone has or hasn't successfully done a joint-registration with a non-citizen, but neither the Regulations nor the Penal Code specifically prohibit it. Yes, you would need her Alien Registration Number, but no further proof of citizenship status should be required. She will need to provide additional docs showing her Proof of Residency, though, the same as any joint registrant would need to do.

Her citizenship status should not affect her ability to register, so long as she is not prohibited from possessing a firearm.
Old 02-22-2018, 1:51 PM

Signed up online and submitted everything on Feb. 14. Sent the required photos plus a close up of the serial number. Received an acknowledgement and receipt same day. Received my registration notification in the mail today, Feb. 22, dated Feb. 17. So, it goes very quickly and seamlessly. My rifle is a standard M4. Hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsc View Post
Signed up online and submitted everything on Feb. 14. Sent the required photos plus a close up of the serial number. Received an acknowledgement and receipt same day. Received my registration notification in the mail today, Feb. 22, dated Feb. 17. So, it goes very quickly and seamlessly. My rifle is a standard M4. Hope this helps.
How could your rifle be an M4? Aren't those full auto or burst fire?

You must read better that I do but maybe you are younger. Submitted everything on Monday an started getting incompletes today. Who would think that your spouse's CDL would not be acceptable evidence of where she lives although apparently my CDL is acceptable as to where I live and her CDL was good enough when she DROSed her last handgun. So why do I need to show where she lives? Will she not have to provide that information when she completes her part of the AW registration process?