Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-05-2018, 8:25 PM

Talons arrived. The Gen5 Talons (without backstrap) fit almost perfectly. I had to cut off a bit on the ends to not block the mag release scallop. The tape pretty much covered all of the sanded areas with exception to the undercuts and upper backstrap. The half moon cutout off the Gen5 tape was perfect for arching over the "lip" that I created at the bottom of the frontstrap as a reference for my support hand's pinky.

It feels really good, nice and tacky. I did feel the right side's sticker edge on my palm. That will likely be the high wear area. Time will tell if it un-peels or not (like the Gen1 Talons for my Shield). Yes, I followed directions and used a blow dryer. Not my first set of Talons. One observation was that the supplied alcohol wipe removed a bit of the Rit Dye, nothing noticeable on the frame, but the wipe picked up some black.

Waiting on the Ameriglo Protectors to arrive then the project is complete. I thought that I needed to replace the barrel, but after Saturday's test firing, practical combat accuracy was fine, so I will forgo it for now.

If this goes well, I might even go as far as purchasing a Gen4 or Gen5 compact size to add to my carry rotation. I'm really starting to enjoy this platform, but let's not go crazy here. LOL

Last edited by anbu_yoshi; 02-05-2018 at 8:31 PM..
Old 02-05-2018, 9:59 PM

As a southpaw I found the mag release difficult to operate on my gen 3. So I installed the extended one. And then night sights. That's it, done.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaux Getty View Post
As a southpaw I found the mag release difficult to operate on my gen 3. So I installed the extended one. And then night sights. That's it, done.
I would've recommend the HK P2000 for you, being the only true ambi pistol in CA.

Since you have your Glock and likely use your index or middle to drop the mag, consider an alternative; Glock ambi-mag release:

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-...tem-for-glock/
Old 02-09-2018, 3:13 PM

Ameriglo Protectors arrived. These sights were a lot better than I expected. For $50, it's definitely on par with the more expensive sights. I especially liked that they rear sight extended back towards the end of the slide. The sight picture is just more natural. I hated the OEM sights where half the dot is covered by the rear sight. The full dot shows up here.

Since I was in better lighting...

Old 02-09-2018, 6:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Those sights look nice. That is the sight picture I liked in IDPA....blacked out rear and bright front. It draws your eyes faster to the front sight in daylight. I have full night sights on my HD guns because they really do make a difference in low light....but there is nothing faster than that one dot in full sun.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2018, 1:23 AM

Thanks, Brian.

Ameriglos brought the sight picture back to combat sight picture with exception to 10-yards and beyond which required a 6:00 hold.

3, 5, 7, 10 rapid fire and 25 yard target fire (3 attempts):

Old 02-10-2018, 5:00 AM

1) Try an Agency Arms trigger. I just put one in my 43 and it is excellent. It is all “wall”...no mush.

2) I have a McNally trigger in my G19. It is a bit mushy compared to the AA. You may like it. Both triggers have flat trigger shoes.

3) A KKM barrel will tighten that group up even at your current skill level.

4) Dump the extended anything. Not needed and will only annoy you.
Old 02-15-2018, 4:00 PM

I was given an excellent deal on a Zev barrel by a local. I couldn't pass it up.

I think I'm done tinkering with it now. Once my holster setup comes in, I'm going to beat this thing to heck and back. Even more so once I get my hands on a Ruger PCC. It'll be a fun time for sure.