Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 02-09-2018, 1:57 PM
Veteran Member

Default scope ring suggestions Tikka & VX1

I have a Tikka t3 lite in 308 and a Leupold vx1 3x9.

Anyone have a similar set up?

Scope ring recommendations please.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2018, 2:17 PM
Veteran Member

The stock rings worked just fine for me.

The head on one of the stock ring bolts cracked however. In extracting it I munged up the ring base and decided to just install a DNZ one piece. Haven't had any problems with it since.
Old 02-09-2018, 2:28 PM
Veteran Member

I run Warne on both of mine. One uses the factory action groove, the other uses a Mountain Tactical 20 moa rail. Solid ring, nice finish. The 7 mag was using the factory rings when I bought it (used). They were worn, holes elongated, and in poor shape. Some use them without an issue but I wasn't a fan.
Old 02-09-2018, 2:33 PM

Talley. They are on all of my Tikkas.

STOP THE TUNNELS
Old 02-09-2018, 2:37 PM

I have Vortex scopes on both of mine (.223 and .243) using the stock rings. No problems this far. One other Calgunner who has not posted on this thread (yet) is adamant that the factory rings on Tikkas are just fine and that's been my experience too, even after mounting the scopes myself when I had no clue what I was doing.
Old 02-09-2018, 3:14 PM

Talley lightweights without question. low or medium.
Old 02-09-2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QXSOUP View Post
Talley. They are on all of my Tikkas.
1 Tikka with Talley rings.
Old 02-09-2018, 4:55 PM

Talley on my CTR.
Old 02-09-2018, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackEllis View Post
I have Vortex scopes on both of mine (.223 and .243) using the stock rings. No problems this far. One other Calgunner who has not posted on this thread (yet) is adamant that the factory rings on Tikkas are just fine and that's been my experience too, even after mounting the scopes myself when I had no clue what I was doing.
Iíve mounted many many scopes on Tikkaís for customers. There is zero margin for error if using the OEM rings. I think the screws are aluminum and they just suck. Though you and the other Calgunner havenít had issues I surmise your sample size isnít large enough.

I donít mount nearly as many scopes as I used to when I worked at a gun store. I have a small optics mounting business though so Iíd imagine I still mount more scopes than the average bear. Some people swear by a particular brand of mounts but truth be told Talley, DNZ, Leupold, Warne, EGW and Burris are all excellent. Weaver works great too but I hate to install them. So take your pick. On my own rifles I now use one piece Picatinny rails though I prefer the look of two piece bases. There are too many scopes out there now that canít be mounted using two piece/one piece traditional bases on a particular rifle model. And if they can be mounted there isnít enough forward/backward adjustment to set the proper eye relief. With a picatinny rail you can mount any scope and move it front or rear with impunity.

If someone asks me to choose the mounts for them I normally use an EGW base and Warne rings because I like the set-up and use it myself. But it is not better than the above mentioned brands though because it isnít.

Last edited by Horrendo Revolver; 02-09-2018 at 5:08 PM..
Old 02-09-2018, 5:27 PM
Calguns Addict

I just used the factory rings on all 3 of mine and they all have Leupold 3X9X40 scopes. One VX1 and one VX2 and one old Varri-X II

I have not had a problem with them and my friend with one and a Leupold 3X9X40 scope has not had problems either
Old 02-09-2018, 5:32 PM

Again, sample size.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:02 PM

Talley on most of my rifles

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2018, 7:14 AM

On my T3 L/H, I put a DNZ Game Reaper 30 MM one piece mount. It's very solid and works very well. This was a number of years ago when there wasn't much of a selection of mounts out there for the Tikka.

If I were to do it again, I might consider the Talley rings & bases. I have them on a Browning 81 BLR. They are great mounts and rings.

The Talley rings and bases will cost about $30.00 more than the DNZ. Either will work well.
Old 02-10-2018, 7:34 AM

What's your budget? Night Force , Badger, La Rue, Seekins

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Old 02-10-2018, 9:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Doesn't Leupold or Weaver make mounts and rings that will fit?
Old 02-11-2018, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHT762 View Post
On my T3 L/H, I put a DNZ Game Reaper 30 MM one piece mount. It's very solid and works very well. This was a number of years ago when there wasn't much of a selection of mounts out there for the Tikka.

If I were to do it again, I might consider the Talley rings & bases. I have them on a Browning 81 BLR. They are great mounts and rings.

The Talley rings and bases will cost about $30.00 more than the DNZ. Either will work well.
$35 for Talleyís. Dnz is $5?
Old 02-11-2018, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks all for the suggestions. I purchased the rifle from another calgunner. I just looked at the rifle (in the back of the safe) to see if the stock rings were attached. It has a one piece rail up top. I recall talking to the previous owner and him saying something about making it easier to attach a scope to.

So, get a pair of low Talleys?
Old 02-11-2018, 12:02 PM

+1 for Talley rings, though on my .243 Tikka I used the factory rings. On the .300 mag Tikka, the factory just didn't hold up so the Talley rings got put on.
Old 02-11-2018, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
Thanks all for the suggestions. I purchased the rifle from another calgunner. I just looked at the rifle (in the back of the safe) to see if the stock rings were attached. It has a one piece rail up top. I recall talking to the previous owner and him saying something about making it easier to attach a scope to.

So, get a pair of low Talleys?
If it has a one piece rail, you only need to buy rings that fit a Picatinny / Weaver rail mount. No need to purchase a base if you already have it (which it sounds like you do). You need to confirm what you have.
Old 02-12-2018, 7:22 AM

I have been using Seekins rings on my CTR and i think they are great.
Old 02-14-2018, 4:07 PM

I have the same rifle in 308.

I used the Warne rings on the Tikka receiver (no rail).

They have held perfectly.
Old 02-15-2018, 8:40 AM

I have a T3 in 6.5 Swede and a VX1 mounted up with the factory rings. No issues and about 200 rounds down the barrel.
Old 02-16-2018, 8:07 PM

Regarding the deficient Tikka rings and the sample size. . . .. . Yes entirely correct. If you install the factory rings and don't f-around with them six times a week changing scope to scope to scope and back again and again they won't wear out or fail. Some have differing needs and use of the same equipment and therefore get different results. Whatever works for you.
Old 02-16-2018, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flouncer View Post
Regarding the deficient Tikka rings and the sample size. . . .. . Yes entirely correct. If you install the factory rings and don't f-around with them six times a week changing scope to scope to scope and back again and again they won't wear out or fail. Some have differing needs and use of the same equipment and therefore get different results. Whatever works for you.
How many times have you installed scopes on Tikka rifles? Do it 1-10 times a week for a couple of years and then weíll talk.
Old 02-22-2018, 4:40 PM
Veteran Member

Ok - here is a pic. I need a pair of 40mm, low rings. I put on a pair of medium Burris rings and the scope was too high. Hoping the front of the scope can be moved back and not hit the rail while providing the correct height. Otherwise, a cheek riser pad may be in order?

Last edited by NATEWA; 08-25-2018 at 5:03 PM..
Old 02-26-2018, 3:56 PM
Veteran Member

Burris 420180 XTR Rings (1-Inch, Low, Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015ZOZ78..._6WkLAbVDZMD06

These worked perfectly!