Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Unhappy So, I bought a Glock... Let the tinkering begin!

I'm definitely not a Glock guy, even at the attractive Blue Label pricing. Since the Ruger PCC came out (I have it on order), I figured I'd better get on buying a Glock to accent the PCC.

I was on the fence about the 19 vs 17, but I won't be concealing this thing so 17 it is. I prefer the Gen4 simply because of the grip size difference (small hands) and don't like the Gen3 because of it, but I got it for dirt cheap, so I figured "What the heck..."

After taking it home, I did the famed $.25 trigger job after watching YouTube videos. I already had a Glock tool since it's useful for a number of things, but I never knew how easy it was to full detail strip a Glock.

After an evening of winding down on Glock research (and Jameson ), I realized that I really, really disliked the grip and feel of the Gen3. I did what any self-respecting person would do; I took out the dremel and sandpaper.

I started with the trigger undercuts. It felt good, but the grip area really bothered me, so I decided to mimic the Gen 5 grip areas by removing the finger grooves and slightly reducing the backstrap. I also reduced the beavertail grip area a bit. It feels really good now.

I had an issue with easily depressing the mag release, so I attempted to scallop the area. I shaped it to teardrop into the thumb rest area. I saw that some folks completely remove the thumb rest, but I like it so I kept it.

I forgot to mention that when test firing after initial pickup, the slide kept locking back on it's own. I determined that the spring to the slide stop was busted, so I bought the extended slide stop.

I was intending to get the OEM minus connector, but the pull on the 34/35 is a bit mushier than the standard models for some reason, although it is slightly lighter. My research on the subject seems to match this. I will try the "Dot" connector off the Gen4/5 models since that seems to be the compromise between the standard and minus.

This was my first time modding a firearm to this extent (I've actually never even handled a dremel outside of the cutting wheel). Frankly, it's been fun and I've found a new respect for this platform. I know they work and I've shot them extensively through the academy, but they were not my preference; Sigs and M&P's are. I think this will be my tinkering pistol; just a pure range and parts testing toy. I've learned more about Glocks in one week then I'd ever want to know. I've also learned that Glock Forum folks are worse than femi-nazis.

The next steps for me are to Rit Dye the frame to restore the black removed from all of the modifications and wait on the Gen5 Talon Grips in rubber to arrive. I might try stippling in the future, but I am not to savvy on this nor have I found a pattern that I like.

Really, for me it's a fun project. I should probably also start on my Hatfield Single Shot Shotgun project though, but I'm not savvy on woodwork either.

Stay tuned, although it's just another Glock thread.

Last edited by anbu_yoshi; 02-02-2018 at 12:30 PM..
Old 02-02-2018, 12:30 PM
Watching you, watch me.
CGN Contributor

Nice work , to each their own...

The slide lock spring was probably just not installed proper, but hey it gave you a reason for the extended. lol Add a fiber opt front site and dawson all black rear sight, you will fall in love.

I stay away from the extended mag release as I sometimes would engage it with a firm grip, so the scalloped way is probably best.

Do a little you tubing on the trigger safety shape, that adds to the trigger feel as well.

Now go put down 1,000 rounds and report back!
Old 02-02-2018, 12:33 PM

Great job! I have found that WD40 does a great job restoring the "black" after taking a Dremel to the frame. A polishing bit and some WD40 and it'll look good as new.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico1404 View Post
Nice work , to each their own...

The slide lock spring was probably just not installed proper, but hey it gave you a reason for the extended. lol Add a fiber opt front site and dawson all black rear sight, you will fall in love.

I stay away from the extended mag release as I sometimes would engage it with a firm grip, so the scalloped way is probably best.

Do a little you tubing on the trigger safety shape, that adds to the trigger feel as well.

Now go put down 1,000 rounds and report back!
Thanks. I was surprised that I didn't create a giant hole. I've seen the threads of folks who royally screwed theirs up. My gosh.

I thought about sights, since the OEM Glock ones are pretty bad. I can't tell you how many of those things have popped off during firearms quals.

I considered FO's, but I plan on beating the heck out of this thing so maybe something a bit more durable. I'm trying to be as cost effective as possible, so I was considering the Ameriglo Protector series. Any thoughts on that? They're like cheaper Trijicon HD's.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:36 PM

Why didn't you just buy a Gen 5?
Old 02-02-2018, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmagee67 View Post
Why didn't you just buy a Gen 5?

Because this was too cheap to say "No" to and I don't like the frame cutouts of the Gen5. Besides, I wouldn't have learned how handy I could be if I had bought the Gen5.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omalley72 View Post
Great job! I have found that WD40 does a great job restoring the "black" after taking a Dremel to the frame. A polishing bit and some WD40 and it'll look good as new.
Thank you. I'll test that out, but does it give it a more shined, worn down look over the black that the dye would?
Old 02-02-2018, 12:42 PM
Watching you, watch me.
CGN Contributor

I am a fan of the solid black rear with any dang front sight. Forces a nice picture, and if you use a light, anything you have up front just turns into a black blade anyways.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:44 PM

Interesting mods. Are you gonna play with aggressive stippling at some point?
Old 02-02-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I am a fan of the solid black rear with any dang front sight. Forces a nice picture, and if you use a light, anything you have up front just turns into a black blade anyways.
my fiber sites are not hindered by a lilght, they glow exteremely
Old 02-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Agreed. I have also found that to be the case during low-light/night quals. I have Trijicon HD's on my P320 and I like them so, I'll try the Ameriglos on the Glock.

Why spend $140-150 when you could spend $40-50, right?
Old 02-02-2018, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfthetech View Post
Interesting mods. Are you gonna play with aggressive stippling at some point?

I'm considering it for future, but Talon rubber grips for now. They're in the mail and have worked well on my M&P series of pistols, although my M&P full size has a stippled backstrap that I really like.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:52 PM
Watching you, watch me.
CGN Contributor

Quote:
my fiber sites are not hindered by a lilght, they glow exteremely
When you run your pistol light in the dark your FO's glow bright? Are they battery powered? What Kind are you using I need some of those!
Old 02-02-2018, 1:12 PM

Quote:
When you run your pistol light in the dark your FO's glow bright? Are they battery powered? What Kind are you using I need some of those!
I got the TFX Pro's for my G30S. They're spendy, but they are bright as hell with the fiber optics in the day time, and still light up pretty good at night. They're a combo of tritium and fiber optics.
Old 02-02-2018, 1:37 PM

Quote:
They do.

They are fiber optics that have a clear and open section on top.
They pick up ambient light and pick up light from my streamlight as well.
I have used them extensively indoors and have tested them in low light conditions and they work fine.

as for the brand, these are them (if I remember correctly):

https://dawsonprecision.com/springfi...-front-sights/

Last edited by jdfthetech; 02-02-2018 at 2:14 PM.. Reason: edit brand
Old 02-02-2018, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega View Post
ruined, you should have bought something else instead of messing up a brand new Glock G17

there is no going back after this kind of damage / modification

this is what ghost guns are for, so you dont mess up an original
It's his gun and he got it cheap so he could play with it. If he likes it, who cares? It's a glock, it's not like it's a Les Baer 1911 or something.
Old 02-02-2018, 3:02 PM
Veteran Member

Where did Omega's post go? LOL Thanks, for the logical response jdf. It's comical that people believe they can tell others what to do with their own property. He must've missed the point of the thread and the intent of this pistol. I hope that he doesn't see my Shield thread or the PSA trasher rifle thread created by the other member.

I have Dawson's on the 4.25" slide for my M&P. They are solid sights and I like the rear serrations. That was my "go-to" play pistol until I purchased the 5" CORE slide for it.

I'm still on the fence about sights for this Glock. I'll make a decision soon. I don't like the Dawson rears though for the Glock though. On the M&P, they were Novak style also, but it didn't bother me because of the intent of the pistol. I've been eyeing the Zev V3 or the Vogel Dynamics ones for the Glock. They have the high ledge rear ledge that I want for the intent of this pistol. Still the Ameriglos are considerably cheaper and mimic the HD's that I'm used to.

Last edited by anbu_yoshi; 02-02-2018 at 3:05 PM..
Old 02-02-2018, 3:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
I'm definitely not a Glock guy, even at the attractive Blue Label pricing ...
So a range report? Lets see some bubba style mag dumps!
Old 02-02-2018, 6:04 PM

Quote:
The next steps for me are to Rit Dye the frame to restore the black removed from all of the modifications
Since it's polymer, the dye should be impregnated throughout the polymer. You should be able to lap it with successively finer grits and end with a wet sand to bring it back to normal looking. You might also be able to do it with the dremel with progressively finer buffing compound.

Dying it likely won't yield the look you want.
Old 02-02-2018, 6:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just run the grip tape, cant see a finish under that.
Old 02-02-2018, 6:30 PM
AKA Gurth Brooks
CGN Contributor

Cool. Now that it's custom it's worth at least $750 in the market place. Just remember, 200 rounds fired!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood
Old 02-02-2018, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbinator View Post
Since it's polymer, the dye should be impregnated throughout the polymer. You should be able to lap it with successively finer grits and end with a wet sand to bring it back to normal looking. You might also be able to do it with the dremel with progressively finer buffing compound.

Dying it likely won't yield the look you want.
interesting, have you seen any guides on the web about this process? I've considered doing something similar to a beater gun in the future. . .
Old 02-02-2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
interesting, have you seen any guides on the web about this process? I've considered doing something similar to a beater gun in the future. . .
You should do it just like any lapping process. I've done it with resins and plastics before. You start at a larger grit, finish the heaviest grit with the sanded area still having a little too much material, then start sanding with progressively finer grits, wet sand, and finish with a brillo pad/steel wool or the finest grit sandpaper you can find. It will make it almost glossy. If you want it less glossy, hit it with a fine dry sand-paper. Want texture, stipple it or super fine sandblast/beadblast it quickly.

Last edited by nubbinator; 02-02-2018 at 7:22 PM..
Old 02-02-2018, 7:44 PM
Veteran Member

I didn't take any photos from the initial and secondary range session. I haven't shot it in this configuration yet. The frame has been stripped for dying and I'll put it back together for range use, maybe on Sunday.

IDK what "Bubba style mag dumps" are. LOL

I'm trying the Rit Dye tonight so I'll keep you all posted. It's just to darken the areas since I will be using Talons to begin with.

I bought a bottle of green also to try and Rit Dye camo my P320 FDE frame like in the Magpul promo videos of their Sand PMags.

Last edited by anbu_yoshi; 02-02-2018 at 7:49 PM..
Old 02-02-2018, 9:54 PM

Umm. U just take her home and strip her nake. How dirty... Didn't even let her get used to her new home & man. Hope it turns out what u like, cause their no way she going back.
Old 02-03-2018, 1:54 AM
Veteran Member

I'm going to say that the Rit Dye worked out very well. The frame is very dark black. You can still tell that the frame was worked on, but the lighter color from scuffing is gone. It'll be ideal for the Talons when they come in.

I also went ahead and did the trigger shoe mod. That feels considerably better and pretty much negates my dislike of the Glock trigger. DOT connector was found, polished and installed. The trigger is pretty nice; much more than I had anticipated.

Last edited by anbu_yoshi; 02-03-2018 at 11:29 AM..
Old 02-03-2018, 3:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Looking good man.

I also recently bought a Glock, a 19 (I put it on my permit).

I too have a problem with the standard mag release, but I have a buddy who has a spare extended mag release that he is willing to give me so..that should fix that.

Shoot me a text when you do the wood on your shotgun project. I am no artist but I have a tiny bit of knowledge in how to pretty up wood

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2018, 4:41 AM

Not my thing but I look forward to seeing pictures of the gun with Talon grips on it.

I usually just install Trijicon night sights and swap the trigger spring for a NY-1 and a Ghost 3.5# connector. The rest of the money goes into magazines. However, I just installed an Agency Arms trigger in my 43 and I must say I really like it. I have a McNally in one of my 19’s that is quite good. Of the two, I prefer the Agency because the entire pull is “the wall”. There is no mush. Push on the wall and it goes.

Since this is a fun gun, I recommend you get a KKM barrel, Agency Arms trigger, APEX trigger kit and maybe an extended mag release. You may want to try an extended slide stop lever too. Play around with the triggers—it is interesting and fun.

Last edited by tomrkba; 02-03-2018 at 4:45 AM..
Old 02-03-2018, 6:38 AM

That RIT dye job came out pretty good.
I'm sure if you sanded and buffed it before dying you could get it smooth.

I was reading about mods for glocks, and one interesting one was to wrap the handle in a piece of bicycle inner tube to make the handle tacky yet not make it thicker like most other grips.
Old 02-03-2018, 6:46 AM

Great job!
Old 02-03-2018, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
Looking good man.

I also recently bought a Glock, a 19 (I put it on my permit).

I too have a problem with the standard mag release, but I have a buddy who has a spare extended mag release that he is willing to give me so..that should fix that.

Shoot me a text when you do the wood on your shotgun project. I am no artist but I have a tiny bit of knowledge in how to pretty up wood

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The extended mag release for Gen3's can easily be hit, so be careful. I've experienced this with the OEM extended and aftermarket ones at the range. I've seen various cases of folks' mags falling or not being seated during drills or classes. This is why I opted to scallop instead.

Take at look at this, B. I'll take you up on the woodwork at some point.

Last edited by anbu_yoshi; 02-03-2018 at 1:27 PM..
Old 02-03-2018, 1:11 PM
Calguns Addict

It's your pistol, no reason not to make the pistol suit your hand as long as you know that you're going to keep it. From the looks of it, stippling might be a better way to hide the sanding marks and make it look a little neater.
Old 02-03-2018, 1:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
It's your pistol, no reason not to make the pistol suit your hand as long as you know that you're going to keep it. From the looks of it, stippling might be a better way to hide the sanding marks and make it look a little neater.
I agree on that for the end result. I just haven't found a pattern that I like. I'd like to mimic the Hogue G-10 Piranha texture. It's not too aggressive where it rubs you raw, but bites when gripping. I liked the backstrap on my M&P, but still searching for alternatives. There is also the thought of "over stippling" the frame in areas where it's not necessarily needed, like the beavertail area. I'll have to continue my research on it.

Thanks for your logic and reasoning.
Old 02-03-2018, 1:34 PM

Talon grips and stipple the rest of the grip they don’t cover up
Old 02-03-2018, 5:49 PM
Veteran Member

Range day post modifications. It took at bit to get used it the pistol and sights. This particular pistol likes the target sight picture over the combat sight picture that I'm used to.

I've found that I ride the extended slide stop during rapid fire or controlled pairs preventing the slide from locking back after the last round. Not sure how I feel about that yet or if I will have the same problem with the standard release.

Overall, good day. 25 yard accuracy wasn't bad at all.

Old 02-03-2018, 6:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I've found that I ride the extended slide stop during rapid fire or controlled pairs preventing the slide from locking back after the last round. Not sure how I feel about that yet or if I will have the same problem with the standard release.
Very nice self tinkering. I grip high and covered the extended slide stop and caused a few times the same issue you mentioned with the slide not locking back on last round. I was going to replace it back with the regular slide stop as I never had issues with that, but I stopped having the issue with the extended slide stop, don't know if I adjusted my grip over it subconsciously.
Old 02-03-2018, 9:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLivesMatter View Post
Very nice self tinkering. I grip high and covered the extended slide stop and caused a few times the same issue you mentioned with the slide not locking back on last round. I was going to replace it back with the regular slide stop as I never had issues with that, but I stopped having the issue with the extended slide stop, don't know if I adjusted my grip over it subconsciously.
I may continue testing as is for now. It's an excuse to practice tap rack for now.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I agree on that for the end result. I just haven't found a pattern that I like. I'd like to mimic the Hogue G-10 Piranha texture. It's not too aggressive where it rubs you raw, but bites when gripping. I liked the backstrap on my M&P, but still searching for alternatives. There is also the thought of "over stippling" the frame in areas where it's not necessarily needed, like the beavertail area. I'll have to continue my research on it.

Thanks for your logic and reasoning.
You are welcome, sir. As it happens, I have a SAR K2P pistol that I aggressively reshaped (read, ground the heck out of) since the rear of the frame at the beavertail was actually squared and drove me nuts. I'm still considering whether I can smooth it sufficiently to hide the small sanding marks that remain or whether stippling will hide my minor sins.
Old 02-05-2018, 2:38 PM
Veteran Member

Observations:

Sanding down the trigger shoe/doo-hicky thingamabob flush to the trigger when depressed made a major difference in shootability. I don't know why Glock didn't do this from the start.

The $.25 trigger job was a piece of cake and well worth it. It doesn't reduce weight or anything dramatic, but it certainly did smooth out the trigger pull.

What DID make a noticeable difference was the swap to the 5#, DOT connector off the Gen4/5 models. Trigger weight was noticeably lighter while not changing the reset or adding "mush" feel like the - connector off the 34/35. It just simply felt good.

It turns out that the standard 5.5#, + from NY, and - from 34/35 connectors all went away in the Gen 4/5 models. The examples of BNIB Gen4 and 5 models at the shop (including 34/35) all had the 5#, DOT connectors.
Old 02-05-2018, 2:59 PM
Veteran Member

Looking good...
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg