Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Someone forgot to give Librarian the latest firmware update

Sometimes I think Lib is a bot. I don't know how he knows so much information and regurgitate it at will. He's probably a T-1000 and CGN is Skynet. They probably created him to store data and to maintain the site.
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Sig Sauer P228
HK USP9c
Old 01-09-2018, 12:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
Sometimes I think Lib is a bot. I don't know how he knows so much information and regurgitate it at will. He's probably a T-1000 and CGN is Skynet. They probably created him to store data and to maintain the site.
Of course he is. You didn’t think he was human did you?

It’s the CGN software alert monitor/moderator
Old 01-09-2018, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
He/She might need an update here pretty soon based on the last comment.
Old 01-10-2018, 7:05 PM

even if the librarian is a bot he/she does a good job of moderating the forums.
Old 01-12-2018, 7:59 PM

Or maybe we got an Easter egg from the developers about a future soon to be released update. Maybe librarian is right and we will be waiting for SCOTUS to make a decision except that feature was not due to be released under this version of Librarian.

Ya know, kind of like when an early version of the next iPhone is spotted in public
Old 01-13-2018, 9:47 AM
Calguns Addict

While I'm sure Librarian appreciates the appreciation, I'm also sure they enjoy threads staying On Topic even more....

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 01-13-2018, 1:46 PM
Veteran Member

Its seriously been nearly a year since orals and no decision reached or movement made?
If Hell ever needed a operations manual all it would need is a copy of California's laws
Old 01-13-2018, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidsnake87 View Post
Its seriously been nearly a year since orals and no decision reached or movement made?
2nd Amendment takes a back seat. Don't worry it's only a constitutional right issue.

NRA Life Member: Benefactor
Calguns Supporter
CRPA Supporter
Second Amendment Foundation Life Member Defender Club
Old 01-14-2018, 7:05 AM

I hope that the two conservative judges finished the majority opinion a long time ago, then they gave it to the one liberal judge so she can write her dissent, and she's dragging her feat and doesn't know what to write ..
Old 01-14-2018, 2:49 PM

10 months really isn't that long for the Ninth. Give it another 6.
Old 01-17-2018, 3:50 AM

Quote:
To be honest it's going to take years before we can have that unlawful roster list removed even after the ninth circuit court decision. Think about what happened with the conceal carry case in CA. It has been years since that lawsuit was announced and we've yet to receive a conclusion. Let say we are lucky enough to get the 3 panel judge in the ninth circuit court to say the roster list is unlawful. Politicians in CA would most likely say that decision was wrong which would then lead the ninth circuit court to reevaluate the case but this time with more judges that are most likely say the roster list is lawful. We would then have to take this lawsuit to the supreme court and we all know how long that's going to take especially since the supreme court isn't taking any 2nd amendment related cases right now.

Last edited by DaMeMe; 01-17-2018 at 3:54 AM..
Old 01-17-2018, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMeMe View Post
Think about what happened with the conceal carry case in CA. It has been years since that lawsuit was announced and we've yet to receive a conclusion.
Who's going to break the news to him?
Old 01-17-2018, 10:42 AM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
To be honest it's going to take years before we can have that unlawful roster list removed even after the ninth circuit court decision.
Just to pick at a nit here, there’s a difference between something being unlawful/illegal and something being unconstitutional.

If voters or the legislature pass a ballot measure or a bill respectively, and required procedures were followed, then constitutional or otherwise it isn’t illegal/unlawful.

Now, Cal DOJ maintains/administers the roster and they have adopted regulations for doing so. While it is possible (i.e. not nonsensical) to find something illegal with how they administer the roster (e.g. adding the Armatix to the roster a few years back may have been illegal) that is generally not what is being argued in these court cases.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:04 AM
🇺🇸 Jack-Booted Gov Thug
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

Quote:
To be honest it's going to take years before we can have that unlawful roster list removed even after the ninth circuit court decision. ...
"years" ... try decades - if at all (i.e. Peruta)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizux View Post
Peña v. Cid [Cal. DOJ BoF]
Issue: Handgun Roster

4/30/2009 - Complaint.

Trial Court: E.D. Cal.
Case No.: 2:09-cv-01185
Docket: http://ia801400.us.archive.org/30/it...44.docket.html

-------
Old 01-17-2018, 3:08 PM

Quote:
To be honest it's going to take years before we can have that unlawful roster list removed even after the ninth circuit court decision.
The microstamping rule is one thing--since there is no technology that complies with the statutory mandate (and separately that it has nothing to do with safety)--while the rest of the roster requirements another thing all together. The initial requirements--drop safety and reliability--were a consumer safety regulation, and the add-ons (LCI, manual safety and mag disconnect) protections against consumer stupidity ("I didn't know the gun was loaded, and I'm so sorry my friend...") Do you really think any court is going to find that "safety" requirements with which pretty much all manufacturers can comply are "illegal"? Sorry, I really don't see it happen, especially when compared to the regulatory framework that applies to a plethora of consumer products on the market right now.

Last edited by TruOil; 01-17-2018 at 3:10 PM..
Old 01-17-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
The microstamping rule is one thing--since there is no technology that complies with the statutory mandate (and separately that it has nothing to do with safety)--while the rest of the roster requirements another thing all together. The initial requirements--drop safety and reliability--were a consumer safety regulation, and the add-ons (LCI, manual safety and mag disconnect) protections against consumer stupidity ("I didn't know the gun was loaded, and I'm so sorry my friend...") Do you really think any court is going to find that "safety" requirements with which pretty much all manufacturers can comply are "illegal"? Sorry, I really don't see it happen, especially when compared to the regulatory framework that applies to a plethora of consumer products on the market right now.
I think it would be entirely possible for a court (not the 9th, obviously) to rule that guns in common use for lawful purposes cannot be banned for sale because they do not have a certain safety feature desired by a state government.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol3 View Post
I think it would be entirely possible for a court (not the 9th, obviously) to rule that guns in common use for lawful purposes cannot be banned for sale because they do not have a certain safety feature desired by a state government.
the problem is
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol3 View Post
I think
the california law makers dont care what you think
Old 01-18-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saym14 View Post
the problem is

the California law makers don't care what you think
And in all but a couple of states there is no roster, so no likelihood of a challenge being raised outside of the 9th.
Old 01-18-2018, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
And in all but a couple of states there is no roster, so no likelihood of a challenge being raised outside of the 9th.
Isn't Massachusetts the only other one? No hope there.
Old 01-18-2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champu View Post
Just to pick at a nit here, there’s a difference between something being unlawful/illegal and something being unconstitutional.

If voters or the legislature pass a ballot measure or a bill respectively, and required procedures were followed, then constitutional or otherwise it isn’t illegal/unlawful.

Now, Cal DOJ maintains/administers the roster and they have adopted regulations for doing so. While it is possible (i.e. not nonsensical) to find something illegal with how they administer the roster (e.g. adding the Armatix to the roster a few years back may have been illegal) that is generally not what is being argued in these court cases.
While there may be/is a distinction nothing unconstitutional is ever legal.
Old 01-18-2018, 8:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I won't start getting antsy until Oct 01 rolls around without a decision.

Until then, just relax, enjoy your lives, and let those "wheels of justice" quietly grind away....

Old 01-20-2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I won't start getting antsy until Oct 01 rolls around without a decision.

Until then, just relax, enjoy your lives, and let those "wheels of justice" quietly grind away....

I think this is one of the great failings of the populace in the 21st century; letting the wheels of justice grind away.

The founding fathers understood the value of a speedy trial to the accused. This is necessary because their life is passing by and we have limited time on this earth. Time is the one commodity that can never be traded and never increases. So, a long trial or wait for a trial is tantamount to being found guilty right away.

The right to a speedy trial doesn't apply to matters of legislation. They always go against us because they go into affect immediately and then take decades to overturn NO MATTER HOW UNCONSTITUTIONAL THEY ARE.

Look at the microstamping issue. We held it off for a few years, but its enactment is a 100% gun ban which is 100% unconstitutional both in the concept of fair trade and the 2A.

No, I don't agree with being patient. It is our right and our duty to show the powers-that-be that we're fed up with their condescending attitude toward our rights. We need to force them to do their jobs. Stop taking vacations every other week and just get it done. I don't know how to do it, but the time for patiently waiting is past.

www.BlackRiverTraining.com
Old 01-20-2018, 2:35 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

There's no leverage to compel changes.

Judges have a lifetime appointment; I don't see SCOTUS issuing a mandamus, 'get off the dime' order.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-21-2018, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
There's no leverage to compel changes.
Lots of different kinds of leverage in the world.

www.BlackRiverTraining.com
Old 01-23-2018, 10:28 PM

Someone just posted in the handgun section that Coonan Inc. announced at Shot Show that they have successfully added microstamping to some new 1911's in accordance with CA law.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1419243
Old 01-24-2018, 4:04 AM
Calguns Addict

This is a civil case, not a criminal case. No one's freedom is at stake, just their liberty to buy the handgun they want.

This is an appeal, not a trial. We're not waiting for jurors to decide about facts, but judges deciding about law/justice.

We're not talking about someone convicted being on death row for decades. It hasn't even been a year since oral arguments.

I didn't say give the judges a blank check, only that I won't get antsy until Oct 01 -- another 8+ months.

But, everyone, please feel free to ignore me and be if that makes you feel better....

As for me: Pena does not directly affect me and I can't directly affect it, so I'll be until Librarian edits the tread title to say the decision has been released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
I think this is one of the great failings of the populace in the 21st century; letting the wheels of justice grind away.

The founding fathers understood the value of a speedy trial to the accused. This is necessary because their life is passing by and we have limited time on this earth. Time is the one commodity that can never be traded and never increases. So, a long trial or wait for a trial is tantamount to being found guilty right away.

The right to a speedy trial doesn't apply to matters of legislation. They always go against us because they go into affect immediately and then take decades to overturn NO MATTER HOW UNCONSTITUTIONAL THEY ARE.

Look at the microstamping issue. We held it off for a few years, but its enactment is a 100% gun ban which is 100% unconstitutional both in the concept of fair trade and the 2A.

No, I don't agree with being patient. It is our right and our duty to show the powers-that-be that we're fed up with their condescending attitude toward our rights. We need to force them to do their jobs. Stop taking vacations every other week and just get it done. I don't know how to do it, but the time for patiently waiting is past.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-24-2018 at 2:12 PM..
Old 01-24-2018, 7:17 AM

So is the ultimate answer to these that in order to fight them we need to find defendants prosecuted for such items so it is a criminal case instead of a civil one? I realize no one ever wants to be the test case but perhaps speeding up the process may even make better use of donation monies. Legal fees paid for and bonds covered for a year must be cheaper than the current 9 years we are approaching on this case.

Has anyone been prosecuted for a handgun roster violation?
Old 01-24-2018, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamVIP View Post

Has anyone been prosecuted for a handgun roster violation?
Hard to tell -
Quote:

(a) A person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state for sale, keeps for sale, offers or exposes for sale, gives, or lends an unsafe handgun shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year.
Misdemeanor convictions seldom get appealed.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

Old 01-26-2018, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Hard to tell - Misdemeanor convictions seldom get appealed.
Very true, and when they do get appealed, it first goes to an appellate division of the exact same Superior Court in the County where the conviction occurred, not a state appellate court. Nobody spends the $$$ to go further, typically.
Old 01-27-2018, 7:45 PM

Default Proposition to remove the roster

Would it be possible to gather signatures for a proposition to simply ban the roster? Similar to the current movement to repeal the recent gas tax increases?
Then it could get on the ballot for voters to decide.
“The Framers made a clear choice: They reserved to all Americans the right to bear arms for self-defense. I do not think we should stand by idly while a State denies its citizens that right.” – Justice Clarence Thomas

Last edited by Ultralight; 01-27-2018 at 7:47 PM..
Old 01-27-2018, 8:02 PM
#1 Bull Goose Loony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
Would it be possible to gather signatures for a proposition to simply ban the roster? Similar to the current movement to repeal the recent gas tax increases?

You are not the first to suggest countering CA Legislature gun control laws with the Proposition process. This has been discussed fairly regularly on CalGuns for the 10 years I have been here.

The consensus seems to be that this is a great idea if it passes the voters but a lousy idea if it fails. A failure is an endorsement of the Anti-Second Amendment position by the voters.

It seems that CA voters are inclined in favor of Gun Control.

Also you would need, wise CalGuns heads say, a couple of million bucks to get an effective signature gathering campaign started, more money to finish it, and more money still to run advertising in support of the Gun Rights Proposition.

Money is the fuel for the political process.

I searched Calguns Custom Search:
https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=0...78:pzxbzjzh1zk
with the following
"gather signatures for propositions"
and got lots of hits.

Here's a thread from 2013 for example:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a.../t-821797.html
California Rifle and Pistol Association - http://crpa.org/membership/
Sacramento County Sheriff Concealed Carry Info - https://www.sacsheriff.com/Pages/Org.../SIIB/CCW.aspx
Second Amendment Foundation - http://www.saf.org
Old 01-27-2018, 8:19 PM

I think an initiative could work if you took the stance that the roster is limiting because people can't find a gun to fit their hand, or recoil sensitivity. Also if you keep the roster, but allow off roster gun sales, except the FFL has to explain to the person buying an off roster gun that the safety features aren't part of the gun. It seems like it would be common sense to people.
Old 01-27-2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaLiberal View Post

The consensus seems to be that this is a great idea if it passes the voters but a lousy idea if it fails. A failure is an endorsement of the Anti-Second Amendment position by the voters.

It seems that CA voters are inclined in favor of Gun Control.

Also you would need, wise CalGuns heads say, a couple of million bucks to get an effective signature gathering campaign started, more money to finish it, and more money still to run advertising in support of the Gun Rights Proposition.

Money is the fuel for the political process.

True.
Having millions of people like my mother-in-law (anti-2nd Amendment) voting on this matter would probably be a bad thing.

“The Framers made a clear choice: They reserved to all Americans the right to bear arms for self-defense. I do not think we should stand by idly while a State denies its citizens that right.” – Justice Clarence Thomas
Old 01-27-2018, 9:39 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
It seems like it would be common sense to people.
And therein lies the problem. Not only do most voters lack common sense, but most of them don't even understand what the term means. Their propaganda regularly attaches the phrase to just about everything that is, in fact, not common sense at all.

See this 2007 huffpo Microstamping article that says California needs "to take a common-sense step toward ending gun violence and illegal gun trafficking." Yes, they really think that microstamping is common sense... Because they don't think.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-...a_b_61407.html

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Old 01-27-2018, 9:48 PM
Calguns Addict

56 pages of posts...

Does anyone remember the composition of the panel hearing this? Dem:Repub nominated judges? Our odds of winning/losing?

Old 01-27-2018, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
56 pages of posts...

Does anyone remember the composition of the panel hearing this? Dem:Repub nominated judges? Our odds of winning/losing?
https://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/media/v...vid=0000011228

Case Panel:
WALLACE (Nixon), McKEOWN (Clinton), BYBEE (Bush)
- Thomas Sowell

Old 01-28-2018, 5:55 AM

Quote:
And therein lies the problem. Not only do most voters lack common sense, but most of them don't even understand what the term means. Their propaganda regularly attaches the phrase to just about everything that is, in fact, not common sense at all.

See this 2007 huffpo Microstamping article that says California needs "to take a common-sense step toward ending gun violence and illegal gun trafficking." Yes, they really think that microstamping is common sense... Because they don't think.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-...a_b_61407.html
We're the only ones that read HuffPo, your idea of "common sense" is more of a caricature than anything real. The vast majority of people don't follow these issue closely at all. Most people (even in California) do think that U.S. citizens should be able to own guns, if the list is so limited that you can't get one I think people might be willing to change the law.
Old 01-28-2018, 6:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
https://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/media/v...vid=0000011228

Case Panel:
WALLACE (Nixon), McKEOWN (Clinton), BYBEE (Bush)
Thanks, Librarian.

Hmm. Some of Nixon's were good, some bad. It wasn't until Bork that the Right realized how the Left had weaponized the federal courts.

Bybee was a GWB appointee, so that's one likely anti (McKeown) and one likely pro (Bybee), so I won't even guess if we'll win or not with Wallace.

ETA: Watched (rewatched?) the oral arguments. I am more optimistic. From 30:00 onward is the meat. Wallace cuts to the core re. microstamping not being a safety per se issue, but an aid to LE investigators. So I'm putting him on our side.

Depending upon how the court chooses to approach the case (42:25 and following), I could see microstamping shot down (not consumer safety of gun, but public safety of aiding LE), CLI upheld (via "evolving" standards of safety), but not sure which way they (the majority?) will go on MDM.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-28-2018 at 9:04 AM..
Old 01-28-2018, 8:59 AM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
All “common-sense” means today is “something I wish everyone agreed with me about” and/or “something I want to cast those who don’t agree with me in a negative light over.” It should not be mistaken for a coherent nor thoughtful argument.

Even if it weren’t a hollowed-out term, it’s not inherently positive. After all, there’s a reason the word “counterintuitive” exists.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:13 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by champu View Post
All “common-sense” means today is “something I wish everyone agreed with me about” and/or “something I want to cast those who don’t agree with me in a negative light over.” It should not be mistaken for a coherent nor thoughtful argument.

Even if it weren’t a hollowed-out term, it’s not inherently positive. After all, there’s a reason the word “counterintuitive” exists.
It's indeed a common propaganda technique, to subtly make those opposed to an idea sound evil and/or ignorant. The more subtle, the better. Saying a bill is common sense, is a subtle way of calling opponents imbeciles. Black Lives Matter is another excellent example of this - it makes anyone who doesn't support their cause sound like they think black lives don't matter, when in fact that is largely not the case. The mistake that most of us make, is in underestimating the creativity of our opponents. They know exactly what to say to get people riled up against what we believe in, and frankly they've been better at it than us for a long time, which is why we are where we are.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk