Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 10-22-2017, 7:21 PM

well the only other option is to drive to Neveda buy and bring back. also legal to do for ffl-03 and COE holders....if Neveda vendor like Cabella's will sell to us
Old 10-23-2017, 7:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumark2 View Post
well the only other option is to drive to Neveda buy and bring back. also legal to do for ffl-03 and COE holders....if Neveda vendor like Cabella's will sell to us
Out of state brick and mortar stores won't deny any sales to CA residents. They won't even know where we came from, nor will they care.

-Robinson Jeffers

Last edited by BennyAdeline; 11-02-2017 at 6:34 AM..
Old 11-01-2017, 8:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyAdeline View Post
Out of state brick and irate stores won't deny any sales to CA residents. They won't even know where we came from, nor will they care.
They won't know where you live if you pay in cash.

Feed a man a fish, he eats for a day (Democrat).
Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime (Republican).
Old 11-02-2017, 6:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just placed what is likely my last order ever with sgammo. I really wish they would chang their mind.

-Robinson Jeffers
Old 11-02-2017, 1:08 PM
#1 Bull Goose Loony
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Just had an exchange of emails with SG Ammo.

They say they won't decide for sure until end of December. I'm guessing that means it's a no go.

Hi California Liberal

I have not decided on what we are going to do, that decision will be made in the last week of December, still hoping the courts throw that law out before it ever goes into effect. If we do the the receiver would have to have an FFL or CR from the federal government and a COE from the state of CA. The real problem is dealing with the people that do not have these licenses but want to use some one else's license to receive the goods for them, but that FFL will not give them a picture of that documentation to use when the order is placed, which makes a bunch of emailed back and forth between the buyer, the FFL holder and me, often for a case of ammo we make $5 to $10 on, IMO just not worth the hassle at that point. We may give it a try anyway but Californians are in for some surprises when they realize the real effect of this law and how difficult it makes what was once a simple transaction

Thank you
sam
SGAmmo
Sent: Thursday, November 2, 2017 2:28 PM
To: Sales
Subject: Re: California Ammo Specials

The new California Ammo Laws have an exception for citizens with a FFL 03 Collectors License and a COE, a California Certificate of Eligibility.

Will you be shipping to these Californians without restrictions if they have both the FFL03 and COE?

Perhaps to reduce the requirement for record keeping on your part copies of these documents could be faxed, mailed or emailed along with every California order.

Have enjoyed doing business with you for some years. You all stand out among online ammo vendors for many reasons. Hoping to be able to continue buying from you.

Yours,

California Liberal

This is their email ammo sale email. Some good prices, worth checking out.

On Nov 2, 2017, at 12:00 PM, sales@sgammo.com wrote:

Thank you for reading the SGAmmo.com Targeted Newsletter. If you do not want to receive this email you can unsubscribe with link at the bottom of the email. If you have trouble viewing this email you can see the newsletter in your browser at this link : http://www.sgammo.com/california-ammo-specials-3

The SGAmmo Targeted Newsletter is a custom tailored email to you based on your order history at SGAmmo. This particular email is for California clients in general. Due to recent laws passed in CA there will be heavy restrictions on sales of ammunition starting January 1st, 2018 which will make getting ammunition very difficult for most clients. We do get to get to accept orders from clients in California until midnight PST Dec 31 2017, so for the rest of this year all sales will be conducted in the same way we have done in the past. It would be wise to stock up while it is still easy. We have seen similar laws passed in New York and it makes doing busienss there very impractical and inconvenient for the customer. It is a buyers market right now with demand and prices down, making some of the best deals on ammo we have seen in the past 10 years, it would be a great time for Californians to stock up.

California Rifle and Pistol Association - http://crpa.org/membership/
Sacramento County Sheriff Concealed Carry Info - https://www.sacsheriff.com/Pages/Org.../SIIB/CCW.aspx
Second Amendment Foundation - http://www.saf.org
Old 11-02-2017, 1:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Also in OP

www.bonefroggunclub.com will ship to FFL and COE holders after the new year. I spoke to the owner who was very personable and helpful. He also has a smooth system set up where we get our documents to him and we get an account that we can use at will without verifying again. Great opportunity to support an independently owned business.

-Robinson Jeffers
Old 11-06-2017, 2:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you have a smaller company you deal with, let me know about them via PM and I will contact them.

-Robinson Jeffers
Old 11-14-2017, 7:13 AM

Outdoor Unlimited has responded to my inquiry regarding sales to California post 2017.

Their response today was as follows:

Thanks for the message. We will sell and ship to CA residents if it is legal to do so. We will know more closer to the end of the year.

Thanks,

David Gregory
Owner
www.OutdoorLimited.com

They have very good prices and shipping rates, especially for 22 cal

Last edited by tracy9676; 11-14-2017 at 7:16 AM..
Old 11-14-2017, 8:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy9676 View Post
Outdoor Unlimited has responded to my inquiry regarding sales to California post 2017.

Their response today was as follows:

Thanks for the message. We will sell and ship to CA residents if it is legal to do so. We will know more closer to the end of the year.

Thanks,

David Gregory
Owner
www.OutdoorLimited.com

They have very good prices and shipping rates, especially for 22 cal
Thanks! Iíll add them to the list in the OP

-Robinson Jeffers
Old 11-19-2017, 6:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

SGammo is in for C&R + COE

From a new email.

The SGAmmo Targeted Newsletter is a custom tailored email to you based on your order history at SGAmmo. This particular email is for California clients in general. Due to recent laws passed in CA there will be heavy restrictions on sales of ammunition starting January 1st, 2018 which will make getting ammunition very difficult for most clients. We read this law in detail and the law requires that delivery be made by Dec 31st 2017. To meet the delivery deadline in compliance with the law we will accept orders from all CA clients until 2pm PST December 21st, which will allow delivery via UPS to all parts of CA by the 31st. After that point we will require clients in CA to upload a picture of the FFL of the dealer that will receive and transfer the ammo, or a C&R type FFL and COE from the state, or a law enforcement ID in conjunction with another state ID. The shipping address must match the address shown on the documents / IDs.

-Robinson Jeffers
Old 11-19-2017, 6:03 PM

Am I mistaken, or did SGAmmo just announce that they're going to honor FFL03 + CoE in California aftern Jan 1?

Linky: http://www.sgammo.com/california-amm...-future-policy

EDIT: Benny beat me to it.

Last edited by Cortelli; 11-19-2017 at 6:04 PM.. Reason: Cross-post
Old 11-19-2017, 6:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortelli View Post
Am I mistaken, or did SGAmmo just announce that they're going to honor FFL03 + CoE in California aftern Jan 1?

Linky: http://www.sgammo.com/california-amm...-future-policy

EDIT: Benny beat me to it.
Great news right???

-Robinson Jeffers
Old 11-19-2017, 6:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
.....will ship to any FFL after 1/1/18 except for the cities that outright ban it like Los Angeles City, Santa Monica, ETC.
So once this is all underway, the above can no longer hold water.

Just like the City of LA had been forced recently to remove their ban on sales of "Ultra-compact" handguns ordinance (ironically due to the State Roster tightly regulating the guns and allowing their sale) so too these city bans on shipping to C&R/COE holders will have to give way to state law.

This whole thing sucks balls, but if the state/Newsom passed legislation successfully continues down this road barring any NRA/CRPA injunctions being successful, then the above must also be mandated.

So if it is finalized, I think the NRA/CRPA will see this exception out, for ALL of CA, the city ordinances squashed, just like they did on the Ultra-compact handgun ban on sales in LA City.

They can't continue with their local restrictions beyond what the state allows if the State's restrictions put exceptions like C&R/COE holders in writing. State pre-emption. They could do it before, because the State did not have specified conflicting laws on it; now it does.

Thus the city restrictions in this regard, have to be tossed.

Old 11-19-2017, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Great news right???
Between SGAmmo and TargetSportsUSA, that will take care of just about all my ammo needs in the next few years (assuming the exemption stays around for several years ) .

I still hope that the law is enjoined / overturned, as I don't think we should have to secure a FFL and CoE to buy ammo online. Glad I did, and will happily eat the cost of doing so if the law is invalid - but hope it is enjoined.
Old 11-19-2017, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI-gula View Post

Just like the City of LA had been forced recently to remove their ban on sales of "Ultra-compact" handguns ordinance (ironically due to the State Roster tightly regulating the guns and allowing their sale) so too these city bans on shipping to C&R/COE holders will have to give way to state law.

This whole thing sucks balls, but if the state/Newsom passed legislation successfully continues down this road barring any NRA/CRPA injunctions being successful, then the above must also be mandated.

So if it is finalized, I think the NRA/CRPA will see this exception out, for ALL of CA, the city ordinances squashed, just like they did on the Ultra-compact handgun ban on sales in LA City.

They can't continue with their local restrictions beyond what the state allows if the State's restrictions put exceptions like C&R/COE holders in writing. State pre-emption. They could do it before, because the State did not have specified conflicting laws on it; now it does.

Very interesting point.

However, even if logically and legally valid, I don't see any local governments willingly conceding without a fight. Might be years of litigation before that happens. I'd rather see the whole law tossed; but this is another interesting thought.

Good post
Old 11-19-2017, 6:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Smile

Quote:
Between SGAmmo and TargetSportsUSA, that will take care of just about all my ammo needs in the next few years (assuming the exemption stays around for several years ) .

I still hope that the law is enjoined / overturned, as I don't think we should have to secure a FFL and CoE to buy ammo online. Glad I did, and will happily eat the cost of doing so if the law is invalid - but hope it is enjoined.
SG and Targetsports fill every niche. I shoot quite a bit and knowing I can get the good cheap stuff makes me smile

-Robinson Jeffers
Old 11-19-2017, 6:47 PM

Quote:
SG and Targetsports fill every niche. I shoot quite a bit and knowing I can get the good cheap stuff makes me smile
Yes; me too. I've stocked up a fair bit (new law worries and cheap ammo pricing) and have decent reserves. But I haven't laid down 5 years of stock, and I expect to be training and therefore shooting more in the next years. I secured a FFL and CoE in the hopes that it would preserve my ability to continue buying in bulk online and having it shipped to me directly. Glad I did. Still pissed it was asked of me.
Old 11-19-2017, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI-gula View Post

Most vendors usually will ship to a FFL if the shipping address is in one of the restricted cities (like LA). With a 03FFL + COE I wonder if these vendors will ship to these restricted cities as technically speaking a 03 is a FFL. Its not a 01 or 07 but still one nonetheless.

We'll cover you if it doesn't work out...
Old 11-19-2017, 9:00 PM
Veteran Member

Cadoj should do bi monthly audits of online ammo buyers at their licensed address. Is the ammo being stored safely and securely? Those online ammo buyers will be selling ammo without proper business license to just ordinary citizens, a great possibility. Like the magazine rebuild kits.

More then equal......

When they went after the Jews.... I didnt say anything as I was not Jewish.
Old 11-19-2017, 9:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
Cadoj should do bi monthly audits of online ammo buyers at their licensed address. Is the ammo being stored safely and securely? Those online ammo buyers will be selling ammo without proper business license to just ordinary citizens, a great possibility. Like the magazine rebuild kits.

More then equal......

When they went after the Jews.... I didnt say anything as I was not Jewish.
Man youíve got to relax. Why advocate for hardship upon your fellow calgunners? Just pony up the $200 and enjoy the ffl status.

Itís not about more than equal. Some of us are FFLs and some arenít. If you have a clean record, you can join us.

-Robinson Jeffers
Old 11-19-2017, 9:54 PM
Veteran Member

Nope, burned my logbook up. Im not supporting jackboot thugs continuing to remove my rights. Self registration on c&r...wtf?

I also dont believe cops are more then equal on handgun roster.

Divide and conquer is happening. They need to ban all guns in Kalifornia and get this to Supreme Court asap.

The folks paying for the privilege to buy ammo online are only hurting the overall 2A rights fight.

Reminds me of the last court case on handgun roster..oh their choices went from 3,000 to 500 handguns? That is still plenty of guns...toss that out of court.
Oh...you do have folks who can buy ammo directly to home?... oh no rights have been fully denied.

Some of us have different lines in the sand.

How much ammo can a ffl03 coe buy for a "group buy". How about just a "donation" at the range?

What a farce.
Old 11-20-2017, 7:13 PM

In the op, it must state will ship to ffl 03 and coe explicitly for them to ship to a ppt with those documents right?
If not, maybe change title of thread?

Democrats, Liberals, Socialists and all election losers. We are sorry you are in darkness now. You need to undertake the TARD protocol to become rational again.

Last edited by SonOfaDI; 11-20-2017 at 7:21 PM..
Old 11-20-2017, 9:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfaDI View Post
In the op, it must state will ship to ffl 03 and coe explicitly for them to ship to a ppt with those documents right?
If not, maybe change title of thread?
They ship to the address on your FFL, usually your home.

-Robinson Jeffers
Old 12-04-2017, 2:59 PM

OP - I hope you don't mind. I started a separate thread in the Ammo and re-loading section that is strictly on the topic of confirmed "friendly vendors". This is based only on confirmation by Calgunners posting in this thread and others. I'm trying to weed out the "maybe" and FFL03/COE discussions and just keep it to a simple list. I guess we'll find out more for sure come 1/1/18
Old 12-09-2017, 12:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_man View Post
OP - I hope you don't mind. I started a separate thread in the Ammo and re-loading section that is strictly on the topic of confirmed "friendly vendors". This is based only on confirmation by Calgunners posting in this thread and others. I'm trying to weed out the "maybe" and FFL03/COE discussions and just keep it to a simple list. I guess we'll find out more for sure come 1/1/18
Awesome! The more we can get the word out, the better.

Anyone else have an update on vendors?

-Robinson Jeffers
Old 12-26-2017, 11:36 PM

Looks like Midway is not accepting 03 FFL + COE.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1411633

We'll cover you if it doesn't work out...
Old 12-27-2017, 6:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1022 View Post

No surprise there.

They stopped accepting the 03 for "dealer discounts" several years ago... not that the discounts were worth much anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-27-2017, 6:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1022 View Post

I removed them from the list. Oh well, their loss. We have plenty of great options.

-Robinson Jeffers
Old 12-28-2017, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member

Can an ffl03 buy 100,000 rounds, keep the best and sell the rest at their costs like cr rifles? Of course no profit involved as that would be a business.
Old 12-28-2017, 7:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Can an ffl03 buy 100,000 rounds, keep the best and sell the rest at their costs like cr rifles? Of course no profit involved as that would be a business.
Itís a trap!

This guy has been trying to bash ffl03s and openly talking about ways the law can be broken. He thinks the FFL03 exception is unfair to him and has been rustling jimmies about it nonstop.

So donít engage him folks, move along, nothing to see here

-Robinson Jeffers
Old 12-28-2017, 9:17 AM
Veteran Member

Not bashing. Just trying to find the loopholes like gripwraps..etc...

Its not illegal to buy 3 rifles on your cr and sell two that you do not want ro keep. Whats the difference with ammo on cr?
Old 12-28-2017, 9:31 AM

tagged
Old 12-28-2017, 10:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Not bashing. Just trying to find the loopholes like gripwraps..etc...

Its not illegal to buy 3 rifles on your cr and sell two that you do not want ro keep. Whats the difference with ammo on cr?

Why don't you take the time to read the law and you will find your answer.

You can't buy happiness but you can buy guns and that's pretty much the same thing.

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 01-01-2018, 2:03 PM

The answer for me is quite simple. I'll look at the money I initially spend on auto-reloading equipment as a longer range investment that will ultimately pay for itself.

In the meantime, I don't mind temporarily being on a Handgun Ammunition List maintained by the State. The State's DROS & the FFL's transfer processes already told them who I was and where I live. That's de facto Registration right there. So, my "information" is already in the system.

So, yeah. I'll do the silly nonsense of taking a number and waiting in line just to walk down an isle with an Employee holding my hand at BassPro... for now that is. As long as it takes for me to convert one of my storage rooms into a cool, dry, well ventilated and well lit place for re-loading to commence full speed ahead.

The State can kiss my *** on the rest.

Last edited by CJ4; 01-01-2018 at 2:06 PM..
Old 01-03-2018, 11:23 AM

It's 01/03/2018! Has anyone really placed an order for ammo online with 03ffl+coe after Jan 1st? Any experience to share?
Old 01-03-2018, 11:30 AM

How hard is it to obtain an 03 license
Old 01-03-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelapelaPaul View Post
How hard is it to obtain an 03 license
Assuming it's perfectly legal for you to own or possess firearms, it is ridiculously easy. Fill out a short form; fork over $30; receive FFL.

The CoE is a bit more of a hassle - in addition to filling out a form, you need to do a livescan. So that involves going to a UPS store, local LE if they offer the service etc. And the cost is greater - IIRC, $71 plus whatever the business doing your livescan charges for the service. I think I paid a local UPS store $25.

So the CoE cost me ~$96 plus a trip to a local UPS store, plus a stamp for mailing the application.

The FFL03 cost $30 plus two stamps - one to mail the app to ATF, and one to mail a copy of the app to local CLEO.

Search for threads here on Calguns - it's all relatively straightforward.
Old 01-03-2018, 2:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by semilin View Post
It's 01/03/2018! Has anyone really placed an order for ammo online with 03ffl+coe after Jan 1st? Any experience to share?
Iíll be ordering 5kish rounds before January ends. Iíll detail the experience here.

-Robinson Jeffers
Old 01-03-2018, 2:42 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Iíll be ordering 5kish rounds before January ends. Iíll detail the experience here.
Thank you!
Old 01-03-2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Assuming it's perfectly legal for you to own or possess firearms, it is ridiculously easy. Fill out a short form; fork over $30; receive FFL.

The CoE is a bit more of a hassle - in addition to filling out a form, you need to do a livescan. So that involves going to a UPS store, local LE if they offer the service etc. And the cost is greater - IIRC, $71 plus whatever the business doing your livescan charges for the service. I think I paid a local UPS store $25.

So the CoE cost me ~$96 plus a trip to a local UPS store, plus a stamp for mailing the application.

The FFL03 cost $30 plus two stamps - one to mail the app to ATF, and one to mail a copy of the app to local CLEO.

Search for threads here on Calguns - it's all relatively straightforward.
Thank you will get on it