Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 01-03-2018, 8:20 AM
In Memoriam

Default Stevens 34M bolt action 22 mag qu estions

Is anyone here familiar with the old Stevens 34M (22 Magnum) bolt action rifle...The internet is devoid of information for this gun except for a few parts on Amazon and Ebay..would like to ask a couple of questions..thanks
opos
Old 01-03-2018, 9:04 AM
Veteran Member

Here is a link to a parts breakdown diagram on Steve's Pages:

http://stevespages.com/ipb-savage-34.html

You are correct in that I did not find much on the rifle either. Might want to ask on the Savage Forum:

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 01-03-2018, 12:23 PM
In Memoriam

Seems like they made about 4 of these...everyone I've found has asked how to remove the bolt for cleaning and each has just given up and done the best theycould without tearing it down...every bolt action I've ever had was a snap to figure out but this puppy takes a complete disassembley of th e trigger group, etc and then the bolt will come apart...if you are lucky and don't have all the parts just disappear into spacee....so

I got the stock off...I'm going to soak the whole action and trigger and bolt as a unit in laquer thinnner for a day or so...then soak it in Kroil..then lots of air pressure to blow any crap out...then some Ballistol to soak in to all the parts...wipe it down and put the stock back on it...have don that with many old war horses like Mosins and it worked great...so that's the plan...if any thing is broken it will be dealt with then...just a little 22 magnum to plink with so no big deal..

Thanks for the input on the Savage forum..got no replies there at all....
Old 01-03-2018, 1:01 PM
Veteran Member

Opos, From what I can remember, the 34 and 65 were .22LR, 34M and 65M were .22 Mag. The 46 was a tube feed version of the 34.
Bolt removal is the same for all of them. Remove the stock, then the trigger guard screws. The rear screw has the end unthreaded, and it holds the receiver extension on. When that's removed, the bolt slides out the rear.
Old 01-03-2018, 2:15 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAP55 View Post
Opos, From what I can remember, the 34 and 65 were .22LR, 34M and 65M were .22 Mag. The 46 was a tube feed version of the 34.
Bolt removal is the same for all of them. Remove the stock, then the trigger guard screws. The rear screw has the end unthreaded, and it holds the receiver extension on. When that's removed, the bolt slides out the rear.

Bingo...thanks for the information...I'll take it apart tomorrow....I've had the stock off and frankly the barrel and the bolt and trigger assy look pretty clean and nice...I took some gun scrubber, a toothbrush, some pipe cleaners and a few pulls on the bore snake with some CLP and things cleaned and loosened up a great deal...think all will be well....I'll try and pull the bolt tomorrow..''

Thanks again
opos