Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 01-03-2018, 8:40 AM

Default Firearms training/education for women

Hello All,
Sorry to crash your forum, but I would like to find a class that I can arrange for my wife (I have already discussed it with her) and I figure the best way to get an honest answer would be to post here.
She is not "in to firearms", but she feels that since I am, she should know how to safely handle and use a firearm.
Who knows, maybe if she gets into the sport I can be better able to involve my daughters (10 and 12) as well!
Thank you,
Wade
These are the most valuable things you have and once they are gone, you can not get them back.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:46 AM

I would suggest starting her with the NRA's Women on Target program. I'm not sure where you live; but, the CalGuns Shooting Sports Association offers the WOT classes. These clinics are for women-only and taught towards beginners in an easy-to-understand manner. Of course, we women here at CalGuns heavily discourage men from teaching their wives and girlfriends themselves as that can lead to overly high expectations, nervousness, poor instruction and hurt feelings. So, I commend you for looking into ways to find your wife some outside training.

** You can read more about CGSSA WOT here in this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1287649

** The first couple of 2018 classes are listed here in the Los Angeles area: https://www.eventbrite.com/d/ca--los...ular&sort=date

** If you're nowhere near L.A., you can look for a clinic near you via the NRA's national website here: https://wot.nra.org/

If you live in or near San Diego, contact me. I can get you additional resources.

Last edited by BadKitty; 01-03-2018 at 10:50 AM..
Old 01-03-2018, 12:07 PM
Voted Most Ready CGN'er
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

^^^ BadKitty is on point. Heed her advice.

Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted... -Mac
Old 01-03-2018, 6:02 PM

Thank you!
Old 01-03-2018, 8:43 PM

In addition to BadKitty's excellent advice, if you're located near Victorville, the Apple Valley Gun Club has a women's program the second Friday of every month for new women shooters. They also have a strong juniors program for your daughters.

You might also check out www.agirlandagun.org to see if there is a local chapter near you.

Best of luck to you both! Hopefully your next problem will be how to afford the new guns & ammo your wife will want...
Old 01-04-2018, 12:19 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

and good reading for your wife while awaiting her class: https://www.corneredcat.com/
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D