Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 12-09-2017, 4:30 PM

Default Crosman C9A

Hello Air Gun shooters & Merry Christmas. I picked up a an older .20 Air rifle, and I'm not overly familiar with them. It was in a local thrift store with a price tag of $49.00! As I was looking it over, a couple of other male customers wandered over to me, and expressed interest if I wasn't going to buy it. I snatched it immediately without even a good inspection. It seems solid. I believe it's a discontinued Benjamin-Sheridan. It was a bit stiff and dry, and the bolt didn't want to move at all. I applied some Pellgun-oil to the pump linkage and bolt. It holds air, and seems to shoot hard. (I don't have any .20 pellets, so that's why I wrote that "seems" to shoot hard.) The original rear sight is still attached, and judging by the various screws, it appears that it has never been taken apart or "opened up". There's no evidence of a scope having been mounted. Basically, it seems solid with just a bit of honest wear. Naturally, I was unable to locate .20 caliber pellets at WalMart or Big-5 (but I checked anyway).

So here are my questions for anyone knowledgeable about the Benjamin-Sheridan rifles. First, the pump handle seems to be a little bit out of alignment with the stock. Is there a simple fix for this? Second, the wood stock looks very different when compared to my Benjamin 392. On the other hand, it appears much lighter compared to my other Walnut stocked guns. Is this a Walnut stock? Lastly, what part of the serial number will tell me the year of manufacture? Thanks in advance for any information.
UPDATE: There's actually a bit of black paint still inside the last half-inch end of the barrel. I think I'll remove that now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8217.jpg (83.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8218.jpg (93.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8222.jpg (81.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8219.jpg (86.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Ishootforblood; 12-09-2017 at 5:15 PM..
Old 12-10-2017, 9:48 AM

Just looking at pic 1 I can tell its 90s-early 2000s. There should be an etched serial # the first 3 digits will be year month.
Far as pellets go I always order online as big-5 is way over priced. The big5 in my area recently started stocking the .20 Benji cylindrical pellets. Order from a site called Pyramyd air. They do the buy 3 get 4th tin free. The Benji and JSB are the way to go.
That's a walnut stock. Since it's a Crosman made Blue Streak you can see the similar design that your 392 has. So you got a walnut before they went to the cheap hardwood.
The pump arm could be due to a previous owner over pumping it. Which requires more effort and causes improper pumping technique.
Old 12-12-2017, 8:41 AM

Nice work brother! If the stock is still off a little and it bothers you. It did for me on many of occasions. Get yourself some of the small felt stick on dots. Add them to the inside of the forearm. Obviously, add them to the side that will adjust the forearm in the direction you want. Now in the closed position it will make the arm sit straight with the butt end. This will also quiet down the rifle during pumping.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:11 PM

There are 2 parts that Tim has that I absolutely love. His front end plug and the steroid lever. Both are rock solid, should I say steel solid. I've managed to get power up to 18.39 FPE on the cartridge 392 and C9A with only 8 pumps. So I don't need the steroid lever as I'm not over pumping like his steroid rifles need (14pumps)to get max power. Regardless, his lever is very nice!! It really adds heft to the rifle. For my keeper rifles I'll get his steroid plug. It's a well made solid piece.
So here are some pics of the lever. I lined up rifles that you have so you can get an idea of what you need to do. All the holes are at the same distance apart regardless of model. The left rifle is a 392pa. The middle is a 392P with the steroid lever. Right is a C9A.

Notice the middle lever is solid as oppose to the other being hollow.

Steroid lever