Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 12-16-2017, 9:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Windows 10 problem - help!

Upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 Pro a couple weeks ago and it's been a quasi-nightmare. The main problem I am having is when I restart the PC, it will take 2 hours (no exaggeration with time) to restart. I've re-loaded Win 10 thinking there was a corruption problem on the first install. But the same thing is happening on my 2nd install.

I get light blue screen saying it is re-starting (stays on for about 15 seconds) then a second prompt says "Getting Windows Ready" Then it takes 2 hours to "Getting Windows Ready" before it reboots (sometimes reboot time is quick and other times it can take 15 minutes).

If I was to do a standard shut down procedure, that works well. But its the darn option to restart that takes 2+ hours. It happens after opening only Chrome. It happens if only opening Word, Outlook or Photoshop. It happens when using CCCLeaner. It happens with NOD32 and/or Malwarebytes disabled It also happens when the computer is turned on first thing in the morning (everything loads fine). Once everything loads, if I was to do nothing else but re-start, it will take 2 hours to do so. Sometimes there's hard drive activity, other times not (I am 100% certain the hard drive is not the problem).

I've searched the net for this problem but can't find any info on this happening to someone else. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot? I'm not Windows savvy but I can work within msconfig, regedit or DOS (if given instruction). Many thanks for any advice given.

Feed a man a fish, he eats for a day (Democrat).
Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime (Republican).
Old 12-16-2017, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-u...tor-windows-10

Performance Monitor, you seek Perfmon.

This advice came from an experienced former Windows developer in a recent Microsoft debugging class I took.

You can set it to record a log on the next reboot. He recommended that you only have it record the log for the first 3 three minutes since there can be around 50 million events recorded in the first few minutes after boot up. Filters are your friend once you get the logs.

This is the first thing he does when he flies out to corporate clients having problems with their servers.

He said that is the most powerful tool in the Win 10 OS.

I haven't personally tried it myself yet, but that is the answer to getting the info you need.

Good luck!

P.S. Since it takes 2 hours to restart, I'd just install another drive , do a fresh install and move the data to the new install.

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
"Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze
Old 12-16-2017, 10:29 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Did you do an in-place upgrade from Win7 to Win10, or did you do a clean install of Win 10? Was this done on a brand new PC or your old Win 7 PC?

When you 'reloaded' Win10, what did that entail exactly?

I would go to device manager and see if you have any items that need attention, or showing up as 'unknown device'. My guess is you have a problem with a major subsystem driver.

If you did an in-place upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, that can easily go sideways. Be lucky you can boot at all - many who have tried, can't.

If you are trying to run Win 10 on old Win 7 hardware, you need to go get latest BIOS, Win 10 driver pack for everything including chipset, usb, video, network, mouse, audio - the whole enchilada.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 12-16-2017 at 10:40 PM..
Old 12-17-2017, 12:06 AM

What hard drive are you using?
Old 12-17-2017, 5:54 AM

You can try "fastboot", to see if that works better. It SHOULD be "default".

Here's how to do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DY8xY3V6I0

You also have the option to "roll back" to Windows 7 (MY advice). If you've had WinX for longer than 30 days, you'll need to get a legit copy of Win7, hunt all your drivers, re format your HDD, and do a clean install. It's not just that simple either, especially if you're dealing with a UEFI BIOS, AND don't have all the software tools at hand.

So make the decision quickly, you're running out of time!

Here is how to do a roll back to Win7, if you're still within the 30 day rollback period:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOzfv6qszuo

How much RAM do you have? I SERIOUSLY recommend at LEAST 6gb/RAM. 8GB would be better. In my opinion, anything higher than Win7 Home Premium, needs more than 4gb/RAM, to run properly, and quickly. Even at that, Win7HP fairs better with 6, or 8gb/RAM.

What CPU do you have? I have WinX running on a ThinkPad T400, Core2 Duo, w/8GB of RAM (Vintage, 2010), and it runs pretty well. Your computer would have to be pretty old not to run WinX, as long as you have the RAM and HDD space to do it. Most people own laptops, or desktops that are 4yrs old and newer. CPU speed, shouldn't be an issue.

How much hard drive do you have? If you're cutting it close, that would be the problem. There could be SOOO much more involved (Spyware, virus, bloatware, chipset incompatibility, software incompatibility, old hard drive that's on its last leg, or overloaded, etc.).

We need more info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Did you do an in-place upgrade from Win7 to Win10, or did you do a clean install of Win 10? Was this done on a brand new PC or your old Win 7 PC?

When you 'reloaded' Win10, what did that entail exactly?

I would go to device manager and see if you have any items that need attention, or showing up as 'unknown device'. My guess is you have a problem with a major subsystem driver.

If you did an in-place upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, that can easily go sideways. Be lucky you can boot at all - many who have tried, can't.

If you are trying to run Win 10 on old Win 7 hardware, you need to go get latest BIOS, Win 10 driver pack for everything including chipset, usb, video, network, mouse, audio - the whole enchilada.
Very true! If he upgraded, and he has a smaller capacity HDD, That "Windows.old" file is pretty big, and sucks up a lot of space.
For the most part, good advice! However, I have some pretty old machines running WinX that are on BIOS dated 2012, and they work fine. If someone hasn't ever flashed a BIOS, I don't recommend it unless they have someone who has experience doing it, holding their hand through the process. One mistake, and they're buying a new computer.

I do, second the WinX driver pack, if it's needed.

Last edited by Dragunov; 12-17-2017 at 7:35 AM..
Old 12-17-2017, 7:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
...How much RAM do you have? I SERIOUSLY recommend at LEAST 6gb/RAM. 8GB would be better. In my opinion, anything higher than Win7 Home Premium, needs more than 4gb/RAM, to run properly, and quickly. Even at that, Win7HP fairs better with 6, or 8gb/RAM...
2nd the RAM, and swap because of it might be the issue.
On this Win7 rig I am in front of right now, I am really running 2 browsers, an AV, DNS updater and that is about it, @ 3.36GB RAM utilization.

I know when the free-upgrade kicked over, I tried it on a few machines, and they were all a shin-show. I also have it on one work wig, and it is slower in response times than everything I have ever used. I am skipping 10 on all my rigs...

SSD?

Is reverting to the old version of Win still a possibility, or was that just for the free-upgrade?:
http://www.itprotoday.com/windows-se...ows-10-upgrade
I know you had a month to revert from the free-upgrade...

Last edited by the86d; 12-17-2017 at 7:21 AM..
Old 12-17-2017, 7:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Here's how to do it:

You also have the option to "roll back" to Windows 7 (MY advice). If you've had WinX for longer than 30 days, you'll need to get a legit copy of Win7, hunt all your drivers, re format your HDD, and do a clean install. It's not just that simple either. Especially, if you're dealing with UEFI BIOS, So make the decision quickly, as you're running out of time.

Here is how to do it if you're still within the 30 day rollback period:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOzfv6qszuo

How much RAM do you have? I SERIOUSLY recommend at LEAST 6gb/RAM. 8GB would be better. In my opinion, anything higher than Win7 Home Premium, needs more than 4gb/RAM, to run properly, and quickly. Even at that, Win7HP fairs better with 6, or 8gb/RAM.

What CPU do you have? I have WinX running on a ThinkPad T400, Core2 Duo, w/8GB of RAM, and it runs pretty well. Your computer would have to be pretty old not to run WinX, as long as you have the RAM and HDD space to do it. Most people own laptops, or desktops that are 4yrs old and newer. CPU speed, shouldn't be an issue.

How much hard drive do you have? If you're cutting it close, that would be the problem.

We need more info.
Very true! If he upgraded, and he has a smaller capacity HDD, That "Windows.old" file is pretty big, and sucks up a lot of space.
For the most part, good advice! However, I have some pretty old machines running WinX that are on BIOS dated 2012, and they work fine. If someone hasn't ever flashed a BIOS, I don't recommend it unless they have someone who has experience doing it, holding their hand through the process. One mistake, and they're buying a new computer.

I do, second the WinX driver pack, if it's needed.
I have 16 GB RAM (plenty!). It's an i7 3.2 processor and 2TB WD hard drive (with about 40% of the drive full). PC came with Win 7 and I did upgrade to Win 10 via on-line (can't do a clean install as I don't have disks). I did check the BIOS on my PC and its up to date. I did the same Win7 --> Win 10 upgrade on my HP Envy laptop a few months ago and it has been trouble free.

I reluctantly upgraded my desktop to Win 10 but I am a realist. Corporate world has embraced Win 10 (not as much as MS would like but far enough where I can't ignore it any longer). So gotta deal with Win 10 and can't look back.

My gut tells me its a software problem - not a hard drive or RAM issue. I'll try the advice given thus far and report back.

BTW, all external devices (scanner, external hard drives, printers, etc) except for Ethernet hub and modem (for internet access) have been disconnected until I get this problem resolved.

Asdvice very much appreciated! ...and keep it coming if something else comes to mind.

Last edited by Bushwack44; 12-17-2017 at 7:38 AM..
Old 12-17-2017, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwack44 View Post
I have 16 GB RAM (plenty!). It's an i7 3.2 processor and 2TB WD hard drive (with about 40% of the drive full). PC came with Win 7 and I did upgrade to Win 10 via on-line (can't do a clean install as I don't have disks). I did check the BIOS on my PC and its up to date. I did the same Win7 --> Win 10 upgrade on my HP Envy laptop a few months ago and it has been trouble free.

I reluctantly upgraded my desktop to Win 10 but I am a realist. Corporate world has embraced Win 10 (not as much as MS would like but far enough where I can't ignore it any longer). So gotta deal with Win 10 and can't look back.

My gut tells me its a software problem - not a hard drive or RAM issue. I'll try the advice given thus far and report back.

BTW, all external devices (scanner, external hard drives, printers, etc) except for Ethernet hub and modem (for internet access) have been disconnected until I get this problem resolved.

Asdvice very much appreciated! ...and keep it coming if something else comes to mind.
That's awesome! You shouldn't be having a problem. Let's start with your AV, and any spyware protection you might have:

You really don't need it. If you have a third party AV, or spyware protection, remove it. The Windows Defender in WinX is more than adequate for protection, and is updated regularly. If you have McAfee, or Norton, DUMP them. If you really MUST use an after market AV, use AVAST! free (make SURE you get the WinX version). It's lighter, much faster, and more efficient than Norton, or McAfee. If you do this, shut OFF Windows Defender.

Is it in the middle of updates, and keeps getting interrupted? This can cause massive slowdown on boot up. Turn on computer, find "check for updates" in System and Security. When updates start, walk away for 3 or 4 hours, don't touch until updates are finished. I actually despise WinX for that reason. You CAN disable the automatic updates completely, but it's not that easy.
When it reboots, it may update some more. If you're constipated, and finally let loose, you could be back and forth to the loo several times before finished. Same concept here.

Bloatware... Any that came with your Win7 computer, is still there, and probably in startup, if you never cleaned it out.... Especially, HP. They load their machines with a ton of it. REMOVE it.

what's in your startup..... Anything there you DON'T need to be starting? There are also a number of services that can be shut off. There is no logical reason for a computer of that class, to be running that crappy. Shut as much down in here, as humanly possible. Keep in mind, EVERYTHING you have running in that taskbar, is also loading up during boot. EVERYTHING showing on your desktop, is sapping video memory, and probably boot time.

Cortana.... If you don't need it, shut it off.

You might want to do a serious disk cleanup, then defrag (NEVER defrag a Solid State Drive!) afterward.

You could also have a defective hard drive. You'll need to test it.

I'll add to this if I can think of anything else.

Last edited by Dragunov; 12-17-2017 at 8:11 AM..
Old 12-17-2017, 9:30 AM

Having been through this several times I strongly suggest roll back to win7 then setup a Linux partition. Wean off Windows - stop the madness.
Old 12-17-2017, 9:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Here's how to do it:
Followed instructions per the video, it helped slightly. My restart time (before it would boot back up) was 85 minutes, but once the PC booted back up, it took an additional 25 minutes.

Quote:
That's awesome! You shouldn't be having a problem. Let's start with your AV, and any spyware protection you might have:

You really don't need it. If you have a third party AV, or spyware protection, remove it. The Windows Defender in WinX is more than adequate for protection, and is updated regularly. If you have McAfee, or Norton, DUMP them. If you really MUST use an after market AV, use AVAST! free (make SURE you get the WinX version). It's lighter, much faster, and more efficient than Norton, or McAfee. If you do this, shut OFF Windows Defender.

Is it in the middle of updates, and keeps getting interrupted? This can cause massive slowdown on boot up. Turn on computer, find "check for updates" in System and Security. When updates start, walk away for 3 or 4 hours, don't touch until updates are finished. I actually despise WinX for that reason. You CAN disable the automatic updates completely, but it's not that easy.
When it reboots, it may update some more. If you're constipated, and finally let loose, you could be back and forth to the loo several times before finished. Same concept here.

Bloatware... Any that came with your Win7 computer, is still there, and probably in startup, if you never cleaned it out.... Especially, HP. They load their machines with a ton of it. REMOVE it.

what's in your startup..... Anything there you DON'T need to be starting? There are also a number of services that can be shut off. There is no logical reason for a computer of that class, to be running that crappy. Shut as much down in here, as humanly possible. Keep in mind, EVERYTHING you have running in that taskbar, is also loading up during boot. EVERYTHING showing on your desktop, is sapping video memory, and probably boot time.

Cortana.... If you don't need it, shut it off.

You might want to do a serious disk cleanup, then defrag (NEVER defrag a Solid State Drive!) afterward.

You could also have a defective hard drive. You'll need to test it.

I'll add to this if I can think of anything else.
For troubleshooting purposes, I've disabled NOD32 (anti virus) and Malwarebytes (used both for many years - at home and in a network environment. I believe highly in these two products but I've turned them off for now. BYW, both are Win 10 versions).

Disk isn't the problem. I've run via DOS the command sfc /scannow twice and have also run the similar process within Win 10. Also have run chkdsk (in DOS) twice. Everything is good.

I've gone into msconfig and other than MS items only, EVERYTHING is disabled (including files from Adobe, Intuit, Google, etc).

I turned off Cortana (but that shoudn't be a problem if its from MS).

No bloatware on the PC. Not even a game (I'm not a gamer).

Now here's something interesting: You asked about if Win 10 is updated. I'm at v1709 installed today (could have been at 1AM or within the past couple hours when I did a re-start). I do know when I looked yesterday, it was v1703. But when I looked at the update history log just now, it shows nothing. Just the latest update (v1709). Maybe that's telling (that its updating at every restart)?

UPDATE: I decided to uninstall (not disable) NOD32 (Eset anti-virus) and Malwarebytes. I went back to Windows update and it shows that its trying to (re) install v1709 (it was fully installed BEFORE uninstalling those two programs). I also got this MS error number: 0x800705b4. Looked it up and it has to do with Windows Defender. Went ahead and activated it via service.msc and will now attempt a re-start (which I'm guessing will take another 2-3 hours). Hoping for the best!

(0x800705b4)

Last edited by Bushwack44; 12-17-2017 at 10:19 AM..
Old 12-17-2017, 9:55 AM

If your Windows 10 is validated, wipe the drive and reinstall.
You don't need installation discs, download the Windows 10 ipo. on to a USB and reinstall.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Last edited by 67Cuda; 12-17-2017 at 9:59 AM..
Old 12-17-2017, 10:15 AM

Usually when you have this sort of issue, there are a few possible causes.

1) windows 10 is running all the updates over the past couple years,( this can take literally a day or so to clean up with reboots etc). This happens if you do an upgrade which is most likely why you are seeing this problem. Best course of action is to let it update everything when it boots a few times. This can take around 10-20 hours, and yes, I've seen this a bunch.

2) You have old drivers loading that are conflicting with system calls for newly installed drivers. This can be fixed by uninstalling all video / sound / device drivers, rebooting and then letting windows install it's own base drivers first. After the drivers install, go out and download device drivers for all your hardware again. I've seen this one a few times but it's not so common (mostly seen it with nvidia cards and also old network card drivers like the USB linksys ones).

3) your old install is being scanned on boot each time for viruses and there is an actual old win 7 virus blocking syscalls, you can try a fresh install to see if this is the case

Generally the best course of action is a fresh install on an SSD (or another partition) and then you can port over the stuff you need to keep. If you do port your data over, it's possible you may have permission issues with some files. If you have permissions issues, you may have to takeown the files on the old install then grant all users permissions to them:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...=ws.11%29.aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.11).aspx

edit:

Just thought of this, but this could be another problem . . .

You could have a ton of old update files in your temp director from Win 10 updating. These files are not cleaned up properly when you are updating. You can clean out the temp directory and it may help speed up the updating process (the temp files are scanned each update which eats up a lot of time).

This site has some good info on the process:

http://www.intowindows.com/delete-te...in-windows-10/

Last edited by jdfthetech; 12-17-2017 at 10:23 AM..
Old 12-17-2017, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Followed instructions per the video, it helped slightly. My restart time (before it would boot back up) was 85 minutes, but once the PC booted back up, it took an additional 25 minutes.

For troubleshooting purposes, I've disabled NOD32 (anti virus) and Malwarebytes (used both for many years - at home and in a network environment. I believe highly in these two products but I've turned them off for now. BYW, both are Win 10 versions).

Disk isn't the problem. I've run via DOS the command sfc /scannow twice and have also run the similar process within Win 10. Also have run chkdsk (in DOS) twice. Everything is good.

I've gone into msconfig and other than MS items only, EVERYTHING is disabled (including files from Adobe, Intuit, Google, etc).

I turned off Cortana (but that shoudn't be a problem if its from MS).

No bloatware on the PC. Not even a game (I'm not a gamer).

Now here's something interesting: You asked about if Win 10 is updated. I'm at v1709 installed today (could have been at 1AM or within the past couple hours when I did a re-start). I do know when I looked yesterday, it was v1703. But when I looked at the update history log just now, it shows nothing. Just the latest update (v1709). Maybe that's telling (that its updating at every restart)?

UPDATE: I decided to uninstall (not disable) NOD32 (Eset anti-virus) and Malwarebytes. I went back to Windows update and it shows that its trying to (re) install v1709 (it was fully installed BEFORE uninstalling those two programs). I also got this MS error number: 0x800705b4. Looked it up and it has to do with Windows Defender. Went ahead and activated it via service.msc and will now attempt a re-start (which I'm guessing will take another 2-3 hours). Hoping for the best!

(0x800705b4)
From what I'm getting from you, is that you're probably in an update loop. You may want to download a WinX .ISO on another computer, wipe, and reload. Make sure you have your wireless drivers backed up. Everything else can be downloaded from the manufacturers website.

Otherwise, keep rebooting, and continue updates. Eventually, it'll catch up. Personally, I'd download my drivers from the manufacturers website on another computer, Download the WinX .ISO on another computer, use WIN to FLASH, or another tool to make a bootable .ISO flash drive, and just wipe, and reload. Just make SURE you have your wireless drivers downloaded, before wiping.
Old 12-17-2017, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfthetech View Post
Usually when you have this sort of issue, there are a few possible causes.

1) windows 10 is running all the updates over the past couple years,( this can take literally a day or so to clean up with reboots etc). This happens if you do an upgrade which is most likely why you are seeing this problem. Best course of action is to let it update everything when it boots a few times. This can take around 10-20 hours, and yes, I've seen this a bunch.

2) You have old drivers loading that are conflicting with system calls for newly installed drivers. This can be fixed by uninstalling all video / sound / device drivers, rebooting and then letting windows install it's own base drivers first. After the drivers install, go out and download device drivers for all your hardware again. I've seen this one a few times but it's not so common (mostly seen it with nvidia cards and also old network card drivers like the USB linksys ones).

3) your old install is being scanned on boot each time for viruses and there is an actual old win 7 virus blocking syscalls, you can try a fresh install to see if this is the case

Generally the best course of action is a fresh install on an SSD (or another partition) and then you can port over the stuff you need to keep. If you do port your data over, it's possible you may have permission issues with some files. If you have permissions issues, you may have to takeown the files on the old install then grant all users permissions to them:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...=ws.11%29.aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.11).aspx

edit:

Just thought of this, but this could be another problem . . .

You could have a ton of old update files in your temp director from Win 10 updating. These files are not cleaned up properly when you are updating. You can clean out the temp directory and it may help speed up the updating process (the temp files are scanned each update which eats up a lot of time).

This site has some good info on the process:

http://www.intowindows.com/delete-te...in-windows-10/
These are good points.
Old 12-17-2017, 3:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks everyone for the great tips! I've done some with little change occurring. For the remaining 7 hours that I am awake, I will let the PC remain idle for 3 hrs, reboot, idle another 3 hrs (sleep mode disabled) then reboot again and let the PC update while I sleep. Maybe restarting tickles MS to update Win 10.

At the moment, I am in Task Manager, no apps are open and Windows Module installer Worker is using up 12-15% of the CPU. I think that's part of the upgrading process.

Old 12-17-2017, 3:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ok...see the image below:

After my last re-boot, it showed that the update (v1709) was 99% downloaded (that's at the 2nd message) and the message about Defender was never there. It was only after 20 minutes of the PC being up and the Windows Module Installer program active that these two messages appeared. Strangly, my PC says that Defender is up to date via the Control Panel.

I think I'm going to do a clean install as suggested. I already have my files on a few separate external drives & off site, so it will be "only" the PIA of re-installing everything else. But...I will test out the new Win 10 install thoroughly before installing any other programs or drivers. And when I do, I'll install one at a time and re-boot - to monitor if I have any conflicts. Stay tuned...

Old 12-17-2017, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Ok...see the image below:

After my last re-boot, it showed that the update (v1709) was 99% downloaded (that's at the 2nd message) and the message about Defender was never there. It was only after 20 minutes of the PC being up and the Windows Module Installer program active that these two messages appeared. Strangly, my PC says that Defender is up to date via the Control Panel.

I think I'm going to do a clean install as suggested. I already have my files on a few separate external drives & off site, so it will be "only" the PIA of re-installing everything else. But...I will test out the new Win 10 install thoroughly before installing any other programs or drivers. And when I do, I'll install one at a time and re-boot - to monitor if I have any conflicts. Stay tuned...
Yep! Your computer is constipated. Let it update for a day, stay on top of it as much as you can. If it persists, as I, and others have said, Get the drivers, a WinX .ISO, wipe, and reload. Keep us up on it... Good luck!
Old 12-18-2017, 3:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yep! Your computer is constipated. Let it update for a day, stay on top of it as much as you can. If it persists, as I, and others have said, Get the drivers, a WinX .ISO, wipe, and reload. Keep us up on it... Good luck!
Can one still stop the WinUpdate service, then blow out the \windows\Software\SoftwareDistribution folder like on Win7 to fix update issues? (My Win10 box is at work, so I can't verify now... and w/ Win7 it takes forever to start the 1st update after doing this, but it works if you have whack/corrupt[?] updates.)

I don't think there is a reason to wipe, as most recent version of Windows, if it still works with Win OS(u)X, will let usually you do a clean install w/out blowing out any data.

Installation of the "10 upgrade" (even a clean install, or really the subsequent activation rather) I have found to be hit-and-miss... sometimes it won't activate, reinstall and activation works fine... is what I have had to do...

The ISO/USB creation can be had, as stated in previous posts: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
Use another rig to create it, then boot to it on your problem rig for a clean install, and don't blow out your data, if you can.

My thoughts are that if 10 uses the same NTFS version, one could "chkdsk /f" the drive to verify NTFS integrity, then do the clean install (no blow out of data) after correction.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:53 AM

The slow boot is a known problem. You need to disable fast boot. Fast boot tries to use stuff written to the hibernation file to speed boot, and yours is corrupted, which causes the lengthy hang. My system was hanging for 10-15 minutes before I diabled fast boot. You may be able to re-enable it once your system is booting at normal speed, but try disabling it first.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

UPDATE - PROBLEM SOLVED.

I ended up doing a clean install. Since the clean install, everything working fine. After making sure everything within Win 10 is current, I then "introduced" printers/scanners (anything requiring a driver) one-by-one. I let Win 10 find the driver. I then tested out each peripheral (restarting 4 times after each peripheral's driver was installed and tested).

First program installed was MS Office, which went well. Then re-started. I did a restart after installing each program (Acrobat, Photoshop, Quickbooks Pro, Quicken, Chrome, Opera, etc., etc.).

So far, everything is good. I DID NOT install EST NOD32 anti-virus. From what I've read (or lack thereof from ESET's web site), they are not conveying confidence that their anti-virus software is 100% Win 10 compatible. They say it will automatically disable Win Defender. But I saw previously it did not (at least not on my PC). While I have NOD32 installed on my laptop with Win 10, I don't use the laptop nearly as much as my desktop PC. Also, I think NOD32 was, in part, the reason why my previous Win 10 install "constipated".

I do have lighter programs installed like Malwarebytes, Bandicam, Bandicut and other video related software that I've tested without issues.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.

Old 12-18-2017, 7:37 PM

Glad everything worked out.
Old 12-18-2017, 8:44 PM

Quote:
UPDATE - PROBLEM SOLVED.

I ended up doing a clean install. Since the clean install, everything working fine. After making sure everything within Win 10 is current, I then "introduced" printers/scanners (anything requiring a driver) one-by-one. I let Win 10 find the driver. I then tested out each peripheral (restarting 4 times after each peripheral's driver was installed and tested).

First program installed was MS Office, which went well. Then re-started. I did a restart after installing each program (Acrobat, Photoshop, Quickbooks Pro, Quicken, Chrome, Opera, etc., etc.).

So far, everything is good. I DID NOT install EST NOD32 anti-virus. From what I've read (or lack thereof from ESET's web site), they are not conveying confidence that their anti-virus software is 100% Win 10 compatible. They say it will automatically disable Win Defender. But I saw previously it did not (at least not on my PC). While I have NOD32 installed on my laptop with Win 10, I don't use the laptop nearly as much as my desktop PC. Also, I think NOD32 was, in part, the reason why my previous Win 10 install "constipated".

I do have lighter programs installed like Malwarebytes, Bandicam, Bandicut and other video related software that I've tested without issues.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.
Glad you got it figured out. You did what I would've done..... I'm not a patient man, when it comes to computers.

Good job!
Old 12-19-2017, 7:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Question... There's a file called Windows.old I assume during the clean install Windows keeps a copy of the "old" files.

Might be a foolish question but, can I delete this folder? I have copies of the files inside the folder. Or does Windows (for whatever reason), need the name of this folder installed to work properly?

Old 12-23-2017, 10:25 AM

The 1709 update is the Windows 10 Fall Creator update. Its a big update and it has been causing some issues on some computers. I just did the update on my laptop and desktop. The laptop update went smooth. Took about an hour. The desktop update wasn't as smooth. Once the update started installing, my monitor lost signal and did not turn back on. I didn't know what was happening. The HD activity LED was a solid RED. After about 10-15 min of not knowing if it has crashed or if its doing anything in the background, I cold rebooted the computer. Well, the monitor still did not turn on after the reboot. So I hooked up my TV to it and worked on my TV while the computer monitor did not work. When I got it to work on my TV it was showing that Windows was restoring to previous version...AKA...the update failed. After doing some reading I found out that this issue is caused by outdated video driver. Once windows restored itself to the version prior the Creator update, I installed the latest video driver and tried again. This time the update installed without a problem.

OP. Download the update manually. Make sure all your drivers are up to date and are from the manufacturers websites. Then give the 1709 update a try. May take a while. Let it do it's thing.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Question... There's a file called Windows.old I assume during the clean install Windows keeps a copy of the "old" files.

Might be a foolish question but, can I delete this folder? I have copies of the files inside the folder. Or does Windows (for whatever reason), need the name of this folder installed to work properly?
Yes, use windows native disk cleaner ONLY to do it.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:19 PM

You can avoid all this windows non sense. Get Linux mint

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2018, 11:45 PM

How much is your time worth? Drives are cheap. Buy a new drive and a new copy of 10. Install fresh, install apps fresh, then install old drive as second drive and copy data to new drive. Do NOT have old drive installed in computer when loading new OS on new drive. Good luck.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 01-12-2018, 5:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51 View Post
Close, but try Elementary instead(, or for a leaner approach, try Slackware that only boots to a CLI interface by default... for a one-trick-pony). Pear OS was a fast, lean and better, but they got bought out by what we believe to be Apple. Elementary seems to be the next best thing.

https://elementary.io/ Put "0" in the donation amount to try.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:06 AM

"How much is your time worth? Drives are cheap. Buy a new drive and a new copy of 10. Install fresh, install apps fresh, then install old drive as second drive and copy data to new drive. Do NOT have old drive installed in computer when loading new OS on new drive. Good luck."

exactly !!! very easy, very important to only add slave drive after new system is installed on hard drive and is current with updates.
Old 01-12-2018, 1:13 PM

If I have to guess one of the services are not set to run.
Scroll down till you see the credentials manager service and make sure it’s set to automatic.
Old 01-12-2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51 View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hmm. Will I be able to everything on Linux Mint that I can on Win 10, Google or DuckDuckGo? Not a lot of computer know how, so asking. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2018, 4:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As the OP, here's an update 23+ days later:

Lesson learned is...do a clean install.

Win 10 has been stable and easy to migrate to from Win 7. I could have saved myself hours upon hours of troubleshooting (and frustration). As I mentioned, the only program that was/is a bit troublesome under Win 10 is Eset's NOD32 (they indirectly acknowledge an issue). From what I've read, if you can get it to install, it usually works well. But you have to manually disable Window's Defender or problem's come up (NOD32 can automatically disable Defender but again, it doesn't do so entirely). But it's a moot issue as most reviewers say Window's Defender is sufficient (and I'll agree as I upload/download many files weekly to clients).

Old 01-12-2018, 10:00 PM

Default Windows 10 problem - help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
Hmm. Will I be able to everything on Linux Mint that I can on Win 10, Google or DuckDuckGo? Not a lot of computer know how, so asking. Thanks.

You sure can.lots of free software and if you ever get stuck their forums are first class.
Give it a shot.. awesome os and itís free!!! Updates are fast and itís inherently safer than windows. No antivirus to run as you wonít need it. Shoot me a pm if you need help
Old 01-13-2018, 2:40 PM

I'll give it a shot '51. Thank you.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I'll give it a shot '51. Thank you.

keep us posted
Old 01-14-2018, 8:56 AM

Quote:
If you like games, Linux isn't a good choice, neither is Slackware.

WINE is a lousy gaming platform. However, if you're not a gamer, Linux Mint is much better, AND more secure. I have a Mint box myself.

If you wish to go Linux, Mint has EXCELLENT support, a large community, and nearly endless resources. If you don't mind learning it. If you're not computer savvy, but wish to be, Mint is definitely the way to go, as you're a "clean slate".

Last edited by Dragunov; 01-14-2018 at 9:00 AM..
Old 01-14-2018, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Can one still stop the WinUpdate service, then blow out the \windows\Software\SoftwareDistribution folder like on Win7 to fix update issues? (My Win10 box is at work, so I can't verify now... and w/ Win7 it takes forever to start the 1st update after doing this, but it works if you have whack/corrupt[?] updates.)

I don't think there is a reason to wipe, as most recent version of Windows, if it still works with Win OS(u)X, will let usually you do a clean install w/out blowing out any data.

Installation of the "10 upgrade" (even a clean install, or really the subsequent activation rather) I have found to be hit-and-miss... sometimes it won't activate, reinstall and activation works fine... is what I have had to do...

The ISO/USB creation can be had, as stated in previous posts: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
Use another rig to create it, then boot to it on your problem rig for a clean install, and don't blow out your data, if you can.

My thoughts are that if 10 uses the same NTFS version, one could "chkdsk /f" the drive to verify NTFS integrity, then do the clean install (no blow out of data) after correction.
There is no reason to mess with the \SoftwareDistribution\Download folder.

This folder is maintained by the WUAgent automatically. If the Datastore and the Download folder become un-synchronized, it could cause problems.

You can shut off automatic updates in WinX. I posted a "How to" in this sub-forum somewhere. I'll try to find it. However, even though my only WinX computer hasn't updated since July, I'm not sure you can still disable it under the new "Creators" update. Maybe something I need to try.

To run Checkdisk in WinX:

Right click Start button, select Command Prompt (run as Administrator). On the next screen click yes, when the command prompt window appears type chkdsk /f.

WinX uses NTFS10
Win7 uses NTFS07

I'm not sure what the differences are.

You don't need the USB tool. Make your own bootable, USB drive like this:

(As per Microsoft TechNet)

Insert a USB flash drive into a running computer.

Open a Command Prompt window as an administrator.

Type diskpart.

In the new command line window that opens, to determine the USB flash drive number or drive letter, at the command prompt, type list disk, and then click ENTER. The list disk command displays all the disks on the computer. Note the drive number or drive letter of the USB flash drive.

At the command prompt, type select disk <X>, where X is the drive number or drive letter of the USB flash drive, and then click ENTER.

Type clean, and the click ENTER. This command deletes all data from the USB flash drive.

To create a new primary partition on the USB flash drive, type create part pri, and then click ENTER.

To select the partition that you just created, type select part 1, and then click ENTER.

To format the partition, type format fs=ntfs quick, and then click ENTER.

Type active, and then click ENTER.

Type exit, and then click ENTER.

When you finished, save it to the root of the USB flash drive.

You now have a bootable, USB drive.

This is easy to find on-line, and it works. Been doing it for a long time.

Last edited by Dragunov; 01-14-2018 at 10:56 AM..