Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:34 PM
Calgunner
CGN Contributor

Default Seeking EDM Wind Runner Opinion

Hi guys,
I'm looking for some feedback of EDM Wind Runner rifle. Anyone here own one? How well does it work? Is it reliable? In bigger caliber like 338, 375, 408, 50cal etc.. Is EDM reliable on it?

Is there anything I should look out for? How comfortable is it to shoot? I'm asking how comfortable because the way it looks so kinda funky to me.

I know the owner of the company passed away recently. However, most of my rifles if it has issue, I often run to my local gunsmith (AR15barrel) anyway.

Really appreciate anyone can give me the feedback or chime in your opinion

J
Old 11-10-2017, 11:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I know a few people who can shoot their EDMs in 50 BMG and .510 DTC well. I'm talking as good as 4" 5 shot groups at 1000 yards during matches. Then, I know a few others who feel good about hitting a 24" gong at 500 yards over 50% of the time. I have never heard of any reliability problems with an EDM. I'm going to assume that you're talking about their take down models and not their earlier BR models, correct? If so, the only issues I've ever heard about shooting them comfortably have been shooter error when not locking the stock in position before pulling the trigger. If you're talking about their early BR rifles, well, their BR guns and, with the right brake, they are very comfortable to shoot.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Old 11-10-2017, 11:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Only problem I see going forward is replacement parts. Just about everything is proprietary on it, and the company is no longer around. I saw recently Bill Ritchie's son is taking up the task of servicing the existing rifles but I'm not sure he's out making new examples or parts. Something to look into before buying, because there are other rifles on the market just as good, currently made, at a lower price that may be a better buy.

No regrets buying mine when I did some 16 years ago, but if I were looking today, it would not be on my list.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:26 AM

Still one of my favorite rifles in my collection (50 DTC). Have never had an issue with mine and very accurate with proper reloads. About the only parts you will need would be a barrel. I leave my barrel on all the time so I can't speak on accuracy variances with pulling the barrel every time you are done shooting it. Granted, it is very heavy so recoil is greatly reduced so it's a pleasure to shoot. Some people had issues with older models by not Locking the rear into position so when they pulled the trigger, they would take a smack in the face. Again, love mine but whether you will like it or not I can't say.
Old 11-11-2017, 5:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Here is one of our shooters EDM 50's and the trigger is very very good and light about the same as a Jewell Benchrest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150315_093015715.jpg (100.7 KB, 107 views)
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 11-12-2017, 11:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hj_S14 View Post
Hi guys,
I'm looking for some feedback of EDM Wind Runner rifle. Anyone here own one? How well does it work? Is it reliable? In bigger caliber like 338, 375, 408, 50cal etc.. Is EDM reliable on it?

Is there anything I should look out for? How comfortable is it to shoot? I'm asking how comfortable because the way it looks so kinda funky to me.

I know the owner of the company passed away recently. However, most of my rifles if it has issue, I often run to my local gunsmith (AR15barrel) anyway.

Really appreciate anyone can give me the feedback or chime in your opinion

J
The takedown models seem to have problems with the barrel repeating to the same place.
I have heard from several people that their gun had to be re-zeroed after each time they re-assemble it.
It would not be a rifle I would use if I needed the first shot to be accurate.
I'm sure it's a fine range toy though.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 11-14-2017, 12:30 AM
Calgunner
CGN Contributor

Hi all,
thank you for the feedback. Maybe I should state the reason of why I'm asking. My brother in law is getting out of shooting long range or Extra/Extreme Long Range. He has couple nice rifles and this Wind Runner is one of the one I haven't had yet so he may "donate" to me . I don't know much about these rifles so I thought to turn to calguners for info.
I'm not sure which model it is but it shoot 408 CT and also have the 375 CT bolt and barrel for caliber change.

Anyways, thanks for the info, I may take the file if it's going to be donate to me
Old 11-15-2017, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

EDM rifles shoot well enough, but for the money, I'd rather have a Desert Tech HTI or a Cadex CDX-40 Shadow if I were interested in shooting Cheytac rounds.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page